Vitamins & Supplements Community
how long for recovery from Vitamin d Deficiency?

Vitamins are substances that your body needs to grow and develop normally; if you have low levels of certain vitamins, you may develop a deficiency disease. Supplements can also be important to provide your body with extra nutrients depending on the activities you do. Discuss topics including vitamin deficiency, food to counter vitamin deficiency, sufficient vitamin levels, and supplements.

Two months ago, went to the doctor because i was having a lot of body muscle and bone pain. Dr. ran some tests for lupus, RA, vitamin d etc. Everything came back normal except my vit d which was severely deficient at 6 ng/ml when the normal range is supposed to be between 30 - 100 ng/ml. I was put on high dose prescription supplements of 50,000 iu/week. I started taking them with 1000 mg calcium supplemets which also had 1600 iu D3 every day....so I was basically on about 8600 iu's per day for about 9 weeks when I wnt to have my levels tested again.

After 9 weeks, went for a blood test to retest the vit d levels. What i forgot to mention to the dr. was the morning of the re-test i had taken a dose of 50,000 iu and the blood test was done in the afternoon. My levels had gone up from 6 ng/ml to 64 ng/ml!!! I was not expecting them to go up so high. I have a feeling they went up that high because i had taken a high dose just that morning. The reason i went to the dr int he first place was because of the body pain. The pain has subsided a little bit (maybe 20%) but it is not gone. I still feel it everyday and somedays it feels like it has gotten worse than before. If my levels were really that high now at 64 ng/ml, should'nt i have started feeling better? Do you guys think that the high dose i took the morning of the test could have made it go up that high?

The Dr. has asked me to stop taking the high dose supplemetns and just take 1000iu D3 from now on. One other qs i have is can rib pain be caused by vitamin d deficiency? I constantly have pain on the sides of my chest , breast pain or what feels like the rib cage? Went to get the breast pain checked out but dr. says its nothing. I have been on supplemets now for almost 11 weeks but pain is still there. Nowadays i also get tired easily and feel sleepy sometimes in the middle of the day. How long can it take for the pain to go away? I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired all the time. I have a 2.5 year old son who needs me. Thanks!
Vitamin D levels at 64ng/mL should not be causing bone pain.  If you feel worried, request another vitamin D serum test to confirm it is not a false high result. I worsened my existing magnesium deficiency taking 5000IU of vitamin D daily over 6 months. Chronic body pain and fatigue are two of the many symptoms of magnesium deficiency. Have they done a bone density test to rule out osteoporosis? If you have this condition, the good news is that osteoporosis is reversible. Google "reversing osteoporosis" for good articles on the subject.