Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Diet with Hashimoto Disease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Diet with Hashimoto Disease

Please I would like some advise on how to control my weight. I have Hashimoto Disease a thyroid disorder. I seemed to grow regularly taking it off is something else. At 54 it isn't getting easier ..*smile*..

Four days a week my husband and I do the basic Pilate stretching exercise for 40 minutes. We also just started walking around the reservoir 4 times a week about a 2 to 2.5 walk. When not able to walk around the reservoir I walk on my walker for 20 minutes a good pace.

Food wise, we really eat healthy. Morning we have oatmeal with raisin and cinnamon with milk we do not add sugar or honey. We share a apple and a bannana and we have a tad of cottage cheese on a half tomatoe. Lunch we usually have a sandwich mostly peanut butter n jelly sometimes tuna etc. At night we mostly have a nice fresh salad and our meat dish. Meat us usually baked in the oven on racks or bar-b-que. I rarely go for seconds, we eat off the small dinner plates I think some call them salad plates anyway they are not the saucer size. I've been thinking maybe I should start eating off a saucer.

I drink lots of water.

Soda Pops, chips, cookies, candies, pie or cake as a whole I do not keep in the house on a regular basis.

At night I usually get a sweet tooth ..sigh.. I usually have a half a apple and some dates.

Any advice on how to keep my weight down?
At your age, you should be trying to get in 3 dairy servings a day.  Your menu looks pretty good, but you might try changing it up a bit.

Instead of so much fruit, shoot for 1-2 servings of fruit a day, and 3-4 servings of vegetables a day.  Minimum you should be getting is 5 servings total a day of fruits and veggies.  Fruits are naturally higher in calories and sugar than vegetables.  There is nothing wrong with eating fruit, but it all adds up.  Dried fruits such as dates are deceptively high in caloric value.

Are you drinking skim milk and eating fat free cottage cheese?  That's one place to start cutting down on some fat and calories.  I couldn't stand the taste of skim milk and fat free cheeses at first, and had to gradually add them in.  Remember...shoot for 3 servings a day.  My snacks are usually when I get my dairy servings in, in the form of nonfat yogurt or fat free cottage cheese, mostly.  It really does help to get your dairy in.  

I don't see much in the way of healthy whole grains in your daily diet, except for the oatmeal you mentioned.  Brown rice, polenta, quinoa, barley, bulgur...they are all wonderfully healthy and full of fiber.  They give you energy that isn't quickly turned into fat by your body.  Plus they help fill you up.  You should try to include one healthy grain serving at each meal.

Lunches could be served on whole grain bread (not sure if you are doing this or not).  I often get a rotisserie chicken and use it for quick sandwiches or salads at lunchtime, instead of the fattier peanut butter sandwich.  

Pilates may not be enough exercise for you.  You might try lifting some light weights, and work your way up to some heavier ones.  

That's all I can think of right now.  Welcome to the community, and I'm sorry you were not greeted more appropriately, for your first post.

Peek
In your quote to Peekawho (almost called her Peekaboo like you did)
( I am trying to make that person aware that her spelling was simply awful.  It took my attention away from her actual problem.  Are we such a sensitive culture that everyone is afraid to be honest with someone and try to help them in anyway possible?  If you read the rest of the letter to her I complimented her on her diet and exercise efforts.
People do make judgements of people that are illiterate and have trouble with the English language.  Maybe that is why we are considered rude Americans, because we tend to be honest!)

End of quote:

I wanted to stay out of this conversation, guess that is not possible. Thank you Peekawho for your nice comments.

johannah705, Thank you for bringing to my attention how awful my grammar and spelling is? You have made your point very noticeable. Oh by the way, in your quote above the word judgements is spelled wrong it should be judgments. We all make mistakes.

Your right I do have grammar and spelling issues. I spell the way I hear the word, my pronunciation is horrible. My whole family has this problem been carried down from generation to generation since the 1800's that I know of. English being one of the hardest languages to master, well, I tend to get those to, too all turn around not to say those a, an. As for spelling goodness gracious today the same word can be spell in so many different ways, lets see what can I come up with, oh! LOVE, LUV . Just the other day a young lady said to me "oh thats bad!" I thought she meant bad it turn out she meant good! I wasn't in the groovy thing, should I go on? My point is because I do not meet your grammar or spelling approval does not make me ILLITERATE nor does it make me dumb or stupid. Like all Americans we want to be honest. Speak softly goes a long way, speak harshly causes wars.

Better yet, why don't you get acquainted with the person first before making such harsh honest judgments of others. As the saying goes, never judge a book by it's cover!

Have you had your TSH tested lately?  I have a non-functioning thyroid and am finding it unbearably hard to lose weight.  My last test shows my levels are off and don't see my doctor for a week to get an adjustment on my meds.
Chatty, your  reply to Joanna was PRICELESS. You go girl!!

Joanna, Since you are interested in "helping" people by not being sensitive that you can't point out the truth,  I would rather be acquainted with a poor speller than a rude, thoughtless person. I also loved how Chatty pointed out your mistake in spelling. And you thought you were so perfect.
Most people like myself that have Hashimoto's Disease also have DiGeorge Syndrome so you might want to get tested for that. It affects a number of things. As far as weight loss, I am also trying to loose weight as I am 35 years old, 135 pounds and 5'1. I should be about 110 pounds but because I've had more than two kids, most of my weight sticks in the thighs and belly. I do stay active because I take my kids back and forth to daycare, doctor, etc. Currently I am looking to see if there is a pill I can take even by perscription that will help with the weight loss. It may make me have to go back to the doctor every 3 months instead of 6 but we shall see. Good luck, God bless, don't let those inconsiderate jerks tell you that you can't spell. It's not like we have word to correct our spelling on here anyways! :)
I forgot to mention as someone else said if you have hypothyroid and Hashimoto's Disease like I do, it may be beneficial for you to go get all the tests done for thyroid just to update the records and see if you need your dosage changed. Also ask the doctor at the time of the visit if there are any meds that can help a person with a thyroid condition with weight loss. Good luck!
I too have Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism and have the same problems losing weight. Unfortunately my Endo. doesn't think this should be my focus and just tells me to "eat better, exercise more." If I ate much better I'd have to buy stock in Whole Foods! Anyway, I've found an herbal remedy from Native Remedies that tastes just *awful* but it definitely gives my thyroid a boost when I take it regularly. It's called Thyroid Assist. I have an appointment with my GP next week and I intend to ask her about any diets or supplements she may know of. I dislike using drugs and feel strongly that I don't want to add anything on top of the daily Levathyroxine.
I, too, have hypothyroidim/Hashimoto's and it seems that the weight problem is universal for people with that condition.  First, feel free to check out the thyroid community - there is a lot of great info for dealing with thyroid conditions of all types.  

From what I can see, most doctors have a rather "bad attitude" about weight gain and hypothryoidism.  When I tried to discuss it with mine recently, he simply looked at me and said "you need to MOVE more"; in spite of the fact that my job is very physical and I walk between 3-5 miles/day, plus work out for at least 30 min most days.  Like I have a lot of time left over to MOVE more!!!! lol  And before that, his thing was "well, you're getting older and it's not uncommon to gain weight as you age" (that was before the thyroid diagnosis).  

My point here is that I wouldn't expect a whole lot of help from doctors unless you've found "Dr McDreamy", in which case, I'd like to know where you are so I can see him too (LOL).  Most doctors seem to think that once they write that script for the thryoid med, you are all better and if you aren't all better, then YOU aren't doing something right.  In other words, they've done their job, the rest is your responsibility.  

I've been afraid to take any OTC thyroid helpers for fear that it might interfere with my prescription thyroid med.  I strongly advise caution there.  

One thing I'm reading a lot of is that your weight issue will improve when your thyroid levels are optimized.  I'm counting on that to be the case.  Since my levels are still not balanced, I'm doing what I can to keep from gaining a lot more and trusting that my friends in the thyroid community are steering me in the right direction and I've no doubt they are.

In the meantime, I am very careful about what I eat and get plenty of exercise - the holidays and an additional week of company have wreaked havoc with my diet and exercise, but I'm getting back on track now.  I don't stop trying to lose weight - I'm just not so frustrated with it as I was.

I eat plenty of fruits and veggies (complex carbs), lean protein, fiber (complex carb), low fat dairy, etc.  Protein and fiber fill you up faster and take longer for the body to break down, so keep you feeling fuller longer.  Do a search for food high in complex carbs to come up with list - there are bound to be some you like.  Stay away from refined sugar, flour, rice etc as much as possible. Salt is another huge offender as it will cause you to retain a lot of fluid, which is just as bad.  In addition, watch the diet sodas - artificial sweetners can actually "trick" you into gaining more weight.  I mostly use stevia for my sweetner.  

Good luck and hang in there - we can all do it.  

My doctor has told me to cut out dairy & gluten - none of you have mentioned that!
Is there a particular reason to cut out dairy and gluten?  Do you have allergies?
Yes there is a particular reason why you should cut out dairy and gluten in your diet. Most people have allergic reactions to dairy and gluten. I do have and allergic reaction to diary and gluten which I have been eating all my life not knowing that I have Hypothyroid/Hashimoto's disease. It is best to ask your Endocrinologist or a Dietician on a Hypothyroid/Hashimoto's Disease diet specially for your case.
I didn't know why I was feeling so lousy, short memory span, muddy, forgetful, withdrawn, and I became a recluse because I felt ugly and fat. I do like my job and the people I work with, work was the only place I was able to function.
Once I cut out completely all the foods I was not supposed to eat, I notice a big difference on how I felt and acted.
I am back to feeling myself!

I am back to feeling myself!

I am back to feeling myself!

I don't have allergies to dairy or gluten.  I've never heard before that most people with hypo/hashi has that type of allergy.  As I stated in my earlier post - I've mostly been told that when my thyroid levels are balanced, I will be able to lose weight again and right now, that seems to be holding true.

Update:  At the end of Jan, I had my first appt with an endo.  Armed with all my lab work and test results, along every bit of info I had about how I feel, etc, I got him to change my med, adding cytomel (T3) to my regimen,  and I'm doing much better.  I did lose a few pounds within a few days of the med change; however, because I have not kept up with my exercise as much as I should, I've not lost any more.  I'm trying to get back into it again now.  

Along with the med change, I have more energy than I've had in years, my brain fog has pretty much lifted, my skin is reacting normally and my hair is getting healthier again. I can even sleep most of the night again.  I'm due for new blood work at the end of this week, so we'll see how that comes back.  

I hope you continue to feel well on your own new regimen.  That just goes to show that what works for one person won't necessarily work for another.  
I have had Hashimoto's I have had a problem with weight loss I finally joinded a kickboxing class I work out for 45 min a day and I have changed my eating habits.  I eat 6 times a day but no more the 17 g of protien and for countable carbs no more than 30 g per meal I have lost 20+ lbs and lost 3-4 inches.  my thyroid has nodules that are still growing  but my doctor is keeping a close eye on them.  it is all whole grain for breads.  

to track your eating habits you can go to www.livestrong.com it is free and a great resouce.
if you have Hashimoto disease, you cannot consume wheat, iodine, or corn products.  when you eat these the immune system attacks it and breaks down the thyroid.  Meds are far from enough with this disease.  in fact, i will soon not even be taking thyroid meds and managing the disease by diet.   Get a T3 blood test.  Get tested for gluten intolerence.  Do some research on Hashimoto and you will find this is nothing like any other type of thyroid disease.  it is more of an auto immune disease.  

Hope this helps.  Believe it or not Hashimoto is the most misdiagnosed thyroid disease and MOST medical doctors (even your endocrenoligist may not know how to properly deal with this disease.) there answer is just higher doses of meds.  This is completely ineffective if you are still consuming table salt, and any form of wheat or corn.    
I'm sorry, I don't agree with your statement:  "if you have Hashimoto disease, you cannot consume wheat, iodine, or corn products".  This is not an "across the board" requirement.  

I do have Hashimoto's and I talked to my doctor about going on a gluten free diet.  His answer was: "It won't hurt anything, but there's no reason to do it,  if you don't have to".  I know a lot of people have gone gluten free and that's pretty much their choice, except for those that do have allergies to those foods.  

I, personally, do not have a problem with them.  I *DO* have my Free T3 tested every time my thyroid levels are checked -- I'm also on a T3 med... Over the past few months, my thyroid levels have gotten steady and I feel better and more energetic than I did for years........

In addition, I disagree with your statement that "Believe it or not Hashimoto is the most misdiagnosed thyroid disease and MOST medical doctors (even your endocrenoligist may not know how to properly deal with this disease.) there answer is just higher doses of meds"  --- Hashimoto's is the most common cause of hypothyroidism.........it can be difficult to treat, but it's not so impossible as you make it sound.  

I also do not believe that you can control your thyroid levels with just diet.  If your thyroid no longer produces hormones, you are going to have to replace the hormones with med, because you can't get them from ANY food.  

I'd like to recommend that you go check out the thyroid forum here on MedHelp -- there's a ton of great information and a lot of very knowledgeable people.  

Good luck...............
My god.. is that johannah for real?
I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease and the doctor stressed, and I mean stressed, DO NOT EAT ANY GRAIN!!!.  That means no wheat, rice, corn, etc...NO GRAIN.  Why?  Grain causes the cell and the cell membrane to inflame and when you have inflamation (inflammation) you have disease.  If you avoid all grain you will immediately see results in size, besides weight.  Within 3 months I went from an extra large to a small, loosing approximately 10 lbs a month.  Your body will know when you've reached your weight goal.  You may be wondering how the loss of 30 lbs made such a difference, because of the swelling.  From research on the internet, which I've found to be true, it takes approximately 6-8 months for all the swelling to go away.  In addition, since you'll be eliminating grain, also eliminate sweets, yes, including chocolate (for right now).  In addition, limit your intake of fruits.  I LOVE fruit and it seemed I went overboard.  A good rule of thumb Hashimoto's diet is meat/fish and lots of vegetables with minimal fruit.  Eatting vegetables more raw than cooked.  And remember, when eating raw, soak your veggies for 20 minutes in water with lemon to kill any unwanted guests.  Hope this helps

---Hashimoto friend.
If you have a problem with grains, then by all means follow your doctor's advice; If you stop eating grain products, you will, in effect, CREATE, an intolerance to them.

I do not believe in any way that this is an "across the board" requirement for all people who have hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's.  As I stated in my post above, I have Hashimoto's and I do NOT have a problem with grain products.

Nor do I believe that it's necessary to completely eliminate ANY food category, including chocolate.  You need the nutrients found in all types of foods and eliminating any one category will insure that you do not get the nutrients you body requires unless you are supplementing.  

If you eliminate foods for now, you may have trouble reintroducing them at a later time, plus once you stop the particular eating habits you are implementing now, you will most likely gain back any or most of the weight you have lost.  You need to incorporate eating habits that you can maintain for a life time, not those that you will only adhere to long enough to lose weight -- you will have gained nothing in the end, except more weight.............

At this particular point in time, I feel better physically than I have for years.......if it weren't for the heart issues that have recently popped up.  
why bash everyone that is trying to give some advice?  Re: grains: celiac disease (gluten intolerance) is very common in people that have Hashimoto's, so it is simply suggested that grains, pastas, etc.could have an effect on how or if you can lose weight.  Swelling or retention of fluids is a common side effect of celiac disease, so are mood disorders.  With retention, fat to muscle comp is not as high but you still appear to be fat - it is swelling.  Why not simply try to eliminate grains and gluten products, sweets and high sugar fruits for one month?  If you see a difference then there you go - you are gluten intollerant if not then continue on doing what you do and NOT losing weight.  My nutritionist suggested the following diet and within 6 weeks I lost 20#'s of fat and retention nit it looked like I had lost a lot more than the 20#'s.. No fruits, sweets, high sugar vegetables, fruit juices or starches (potatoes, squashes, white rice, grains other than brown rice),   Eat a high protein breakfast, such as egg white omelet with spinach, cooked broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, some form of meat - tad of low fat cheese, some fresh veggies.  Lunch - cooked vegetables, water, herbal tea, decaf, some form of protein such as egg, broiled chicken turkey, lean beef (stay away from lunchmeats - full of gluten and preservatives). Dinner: 6 ozs. of fish (salmon is great), chicken, turkey or lean beef (beef is last choice), half of your plate should be piled with fresh cooked vegetables, 1/4 cup of brown rice,  Eat raw veggies throughout the day, and drink plenty of water.,  You will feel better within days and you should see a weight loss by the end of the first week. Stick to it and it will continue to come off.
To all who are taking synthetic thyroid replacements and would like an alternative that is natural; try Armour which is prescribed by your Dr and is made up at a compound pharmacist. Some Drs are not going to be in favour as it is considered "natural", however, it replaces both T3 and T4 hormones. The only down fall is it is slightly more expensive than the synthetics and may not suit vegans as it is derived from porcine (pig) thryoid.
In Australia we add the e to tomatoe and potatoe. We also use the Queen's English not American English which are quite different.  Some people are less educated and type as they speak, Aussies are notorious for doing that. Dropping letters, or adding syllables to words.
Chatty530 does not state which country they are from, so let's give them the benefit of the doubt and be less harsh on their grammar and just concentrate on their problem.
Cheers!
Hi there, well I have had issues with undiagnosed Hashimoto's for over 15 years. I went up to 102kgs and was still walking, dieting, doing all the right things but found it very difficult to lose that gained 40 kilos! My incentive came when I found out my maternal aunt had diabetes. So I put more effort into losing that stubborn weight!

I had started to lose weight very slowly, but only a few kilos after 6 months. I went to a Naturopath and he put me on an elimination diet. I had already given up wheat as I knew I was sensitive to it. Once I gave up cheese and yoghurt the weight seemed to come off much easier. (I am lactose intolerant but had put up with it for years, I do like my cheese!)

Once I was FINALLY diagnosed with Hashimoto's (me saying, nyah, nyah, told you so!) and I started thyroid meds, the weight started to fall off easily. Unfortunately now I am at the other end of the scale...it is falling off too easily! Waaaaah! I am now down to 66 kilos and at my height people are thinking I look a bit too thin....just can't win!

Not all Hashimoto patients have intolerances to certain foods, but many do.
I don't understand where the comment about avoiding iodine came from (if you have hashi's), because if you do ANY research on it you will find that it is imperative to healthy thyroid function. Iodized salt simply does not cut it. Check out research done by Dr David Brownstein or Guy Abraham. Impressive. My gp last June told me I was hypo (tsh 114), and given Synthroid. then in Sept my TSH was .01. Stopped taking the Sythroid. Nov I was told by my endo I had Graves' (tsh .01). Started taking iodine in Dec and NOW my tsh is 3.2! I think now I'm swinging back to the hypo arena, but I think the iodine will help stabilize the levels and then we can go from there. I also can sleep better, and have my periods back. And to think my endo told me that iodine would hurt me!  I encourage you to research it and then decide. Don't just blindly believe anything anyone tells you. Good luck!
I agree with Barb on the Hashimotos and dairy. I too have Hashimotos and I am hypo because of a T,T. for thyroid cancer. I have checked with my doctor on this one, and he did not recommend giving up dairy or grain.   Just remember moderation........too much of anything is never good.  Also, I would like to remind people that we are hear to help one another, and not to ridicule someone on their grammer. Everyone makes mistakes. Life is too short, so lighten up a bit. If you can't do that, then I suggest you find another community to join. This community has helped me in so many ways. I have struggled with 3 different types of cancer and have had many times where I was so in a hurry to get answers, I just never double checked my grammer. So excuse us if we are not up to your  expectations. We are human and not perfect.                                          
We all make grammar and spelling errors and we must take into consideration, as redheadaussie pointed out, different countries use different terminology and/or spelling, so we can let that issue go by the wayside.  

Regarding the iodine issue -- I suggest that you take a look at the thyroid forum; there is a ton of information regarding the use of iodine.  Once again, I don't think it's right to make "across the board" statements, regarding its use or nonuse.  We all have to do what's best for YOUR body and what works for one is not going to work for all.  There are instances in which the use of iodine would not be recommended, such as some with Hashi's; however, I do know of some with Hashi's that take iodine and have good luck with it, but they still can NOT get off thyroid med.  If you truly have Hashi's/hypo, you will have it forever and just because a TSH goes to 0.01 (where mine stays all the time), does not mean you are cured of the disease or have acquired another.  Again, I'd suggest that you take a look at the thyroid forum for a list of other tests that are much more helpful than just the TSH.  

Since we are all individuals, therefore, each is different, we can not make such bold sweeping statements as "everyone with Hashi should give up grains" or "everyone with Hashi needs iodine" or anything else.  All we can do is give suggestions and/or tips and let each person do what's right for them.  

I strongly urge EVERYONE to consult you doctor before giving up any of your med(s) or making drastic changes to your diet and/or lifestyle.  Just because something worked for someone else, doesn't mean it will be good for you.  It could, in fact, be harmful.  

Wishing everyone the best with both, your weight loss and thyroid journeys; as I know very well, they are each a challenge by themselves and when combined can seem completely impossible.  
I think Hashimoto's IS one of the most difficult conditions to manage. I have been dealing with it for over 10 years, have been to numerous doctors, have read several books and have had my medication adjusted atleast a dozen times. There is a lot of conflicting information out there and a lot of doctors who are not trained in the best testing or treatment methods. I think the best we can do is openly and honestly share information with eachother without judgement, discuss our findings with our doctors and hope that someday they will find a way to shut off the cause of autoimmune disease. I have had the best luck with natural approaches, but even they represent challenges. Most recently, the reformulation of Armour thyroid and its lack of availability have been difficult. I do believe that gluten intolerance is high among hashi patients and some foods that we think are good for us, like raw spinach and broccoli can actually inhibit thyroid function in large quantities. Diets that reduce inflammation are a good idea in general. Read the Perricone Prescription for more info. Iodine is an essential component for thyroid function, which is why many Asian people do not suffer from thyroid disease. Fluoride is extremely bad for thyroid function because it is so closely related to the iodine molecule that it interferes with the proper use of iodine in your system. I hope some of this information is useful to someone.
Regarding your comment that eliminating certain foods will create an intolerance to them when reintroducing them into your eating program is more than likely true.  Keep in mind, the majority of foods we eat are genetically modified, stripped of nutrients, and or artificially made, and that definitely includes grain.  The foods we eat today do not contain the same nutrients as they did 150 years ago and this is definitely true of grain which has been genetically modified.  Drive the country roads of Illinois in the corn belt and you'll see the process in action.

Therefore, as you eliminate toxic items, your body becomes healthier, and upon reintroduction, your body will respond in a negative way.  Which may or may not be noticeable.  For example we need to learn to listen to our body.  If you ask a smoker, how his body responded when he had his first cigarette, he'd more than likely say he coughed and coughed and coughed.  What was happening?  His body was screaming 'Stop you're killing me!'.  Did he listen to the signals?  Well, you know the answer, if he's a smoker.

Likewise, with food.  Our bodies gradually stop sending the warning signals with repeated consumption of toxic substances.  Yet, once we begin to eliminate toxicity, our bodies become healthier and yes, they will and should respond negatively to items that are harmful.  We just have to listen.  Listen to the body's warning signals.  It's smart and knows what's good for it and what isn't.  

However, if one's diet contains artificial, processed, genetically modified, etc substances, you're body's warning signs would be swelling, bloating, laboured breathing, headaches, tiredness, constipation, confused thinking, forgetfulness, and the list goes on.  Therefore, if you have any of these symptoms, your body is giving you the signals.  Listen to your body.  Listen...you'll hear it...beit a strong shout or a weak whisper....just listen.

Life is full of choices, and there's no one else in control of the decisions you make except yourself.  You are what you eat.  Your health is a result of your environment, which includes what you consume.  

Barb, I'm glad your program is working for you.  Yet, there are many cups of tea to choose from.  What works for one, like myself, may not work for another, like yourself, but it may for someone else.  That's what great about these forums, we can have an interchange of a variety of knowledge bases, experiences and glean benefits.

Therefore, the more informed we are the wiser the decisions we make.  

You are right that there are a lot of choices to make and we are the only ones who can choose what is right for us.  I totally agree that what works for one may not work for another.  

When choosing my diet, I try to choose those foods that are as close to "raw" as I can -- including the grains I eat.  

tired37 - Hashimoto's *can* be very difficult to deal with, but basically it's handled the same as hypothyroidism.  What makes it hard is that being an auto immune disease that is constantly destroying your thyroid, which makes your thyroid levels keep changing.  That's why most of us need med changes so frequently.  Once your thyroid is completely destroyed, you should hopefully be able to level off.

The issue with broccoli is not that it inhibits thyroid function; it's that it inhibits absorption of the thyroid med.  Cabbage is another one that should be avoided if eating raw; however, eating these vegetables cooked is okay.  
Hi! It has been interesting reading all the msgs, I was diagnosed w/Hashimoto Disease a month ago, and for the last 6 years I have been struggling w/my weight without knowing that part was due to the disease.  My Dr. prescribed synthroid .112mg, and I have been on it for the past month.  I haven't noticed any positive changes, in the contrary, I have noticed I have gained weight.  I do eat w/lots of salt, and regardless of it affecting this specific disease I know I have to change that habit.  I try to eat healthy.  I eat fish and seafood, sometimes chicken and red meat, salads, vegies, fruits, and once in a while cereals-grains.  I love sweets but I limit them.  I went from 118lb to 133.  I hope when I go back to see my Dr. he changes my dosage and by a miracle he gets the right dosage so I can be controlled because I'm getting depressed!
AnaCamila  - the same thing happened to me and I don't want to discourage you, but the whole process takes time, work and much patience.  It takes several weeks to get the full benefit of each new dosage of med.  

It's not really the Hashimoto's that causes the weight gain; it's being hypothyroid, which is caused by the Hashimoto's.  Your thyroid controls metabolism, so if it's not working right (or you aren't getting the right/enough med), you will most likely have a hard time losing.

Until my thyroid levels got right, I was not able to lose an ounce and even now, I have to work very hard at losing as I'm not one of the lucky ones from whom the weight just falls off.  

Yes, you should limit your salt -- salt causes fluid retention, which could make it like your weight is higher than it really is.  Not to mention that salt can cause blood pressure to rise, etc.  

I might suggest that you check out the thyroid forum - there's a ton of information there that could be helpful to you.
http://www-thyroid.com/html_hypothyroidreport_v2.htm#foodsavoid

I also have Hashimoto's. I'm 26 years old and I put on a kg a month, I am now up to 30kg in 3 years. Very depressing. But there is hope that I can get that weight down again and pick up my energy levels. Any way I have come accross this website on foods to eat and avoid with Thyroid problems. Dairy, Alcohol, Wheet, Caffine and Sugar is a major part to stay away from (sad hey?) also fluoride and chlorine found in water and tooth paste. Great salt to get onto is himalayan salt, it is full of nutrients which are great for our Thyroid. Hope this helps. All the best. It is a horrible disease. PS hope my grammer is ok, I also struggle with writting.
I prefer bad grammer to rudeness!
Check out Dr. Kharrazian's thyroid book, "Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms When My Lab Tests Are Normal?"  
I have been living with Hashimoto's most of my adult life and his theory is that you need to treat the autoimmune disease.  It might be helpful for you in your journey.  Fascinating information.  
It's necessary to read and get all the information we can regarding our thyroid disease; however, I caution everyone to be careful.  There is no "miracle cure" for Hashimoto's and anyone who tries to tell you there is, is most likely only after your money.

I've heard a lot about Dr K's book and have, in fact, ordered it. It should be here this week. I've no doubt that there may be good things in it, but I can't go along with anyone who makes statements, such as "EVERYONE with Hashimoto's *must* avoid wheat, dairy, etc".  We are all different, and of course, if one is allergic or has a sensitivity/intolerance to a certain food, then by all means, avoid it; but "across the board" statements should be taken with a grain of salt. I say that, keeping in mind that there are some foods that inhibit the absorption of our thyroid med, so should be avoided (soy, raw cabbage, broccoli, etc; however, if cabbage and broccoli are cooked, they don't have the same effect).  

I've known of people spending a fortune on every latest "cure" they come across, only to find out that, although there are things that can help ease the symptoms, the cure really didn't exist.  There are a lot of people/companies preying on folks like us, who want our lives back and will try almost anything to get it. THEY make tons of $, while we stay sick and overweight.  

All of that said, of course, we should all limit our intake of sugar, refined grains, alcohol, etc. since these things not only contribute to our weight issues, they can make us more susceptible to type II diabetes, heart and/or liver problems, etc.  Dairy is an excellent part of a good weight loss plan, so if you aren't allergic or intolerant, I'd suggest going to the low/no fat varieties of milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.

And let's not forget that exercise is a major part of our weight loss journey, so speaking of that -- I'd best go get started with my exercise.
hello, im 22 and have had hoshimotos/hypo since i was 11 or 12. my parents did not believe the doctor at the time( even though it runs in the family) and allowed me to go untreated until i was 18 and i went to a doctor on my own. i now have diabetes, and p.c.o.s as well as the hoshimoto's/hypo. im a college student, work, and live in my fiance's mothers house so we do not have a kitchen to cook in all the time. its tough to stick to a strict diet. the past two weeks i have been running and stretching 4 times a week or more if i have time, and have been eaten chicken, veggies, potatoes, wheat breads, no white flour at all, no sugar only sweetners, and eat twice a day most of the time. my portion size is the size of a babys plate, you know the little plates you serve kids. can someone help me i think maybe im not eating enough or maybe there is a secret i dont know about because i am gaining uncontrolable weight around my waist area. im very tired and frustrated so i thought maybe others who have the same problems know some tricks. pease help.
thank you
stephanie
I would suggest that you implement the food diary here on Med Help to keep track of the actual number of calories you are taking in each day. That will help determine if you aren't eating enough calories.  

The way the food is prepared has a lot to do with the number of calories.  For instance, a small baked potato has very few calories; however, add some butter and sour cream and you almost double the calorie count.  Same goes for veggies; a cup of broccoli has very few calories, but add some butter or cheese sauce and you've added a lot of calories.  Breaded, fried chicken will have more calories than plain baked chicken.  As for the breads - that will depend on the number of servings you are eating and what you are putting on it.  

You don't say what kind of sweeteners you are using; some artificial sweeteners can actually cause you to gain weight.  You could try Stevia, which is a natural sweetener; or agave nectar.

I also don't see any dairy listed.  You need at least 3 servings of low/no fat dairy/day. This could be in the form of milk, yogurt, cheese, etc.  

Over all aim for a diet that's higher in protein.  

All of that said, are you sure your thyroid levels are where you need them to be; not just "in range" on the lab report?  Uncontrolled Hypo/Hashimoto's can prevent you from losing weight, as can PCOS and uncontrolled diabetes.  

Potatoes and some other starchy vegetables, as well as breads (even whole grains) can wreak havoc with blood sugar levels.  Carbohydrates are converted to sugar in the body soon after being eaten; this raises the blood sugar levels quickly and if not used soon after eating, will be stored as fat.
You really should at least take a good look at gluten free for a couple of months and see if that does not help.  Gluten sneaks in all kinds of prepared foods, so be careful.  It would be best if you have a friend already on a gluten free diet to help you out, it takes about a year to really learn how to eat gluten free.
And Johannah 705, you are the rude and awful one, here.   Since I have taught both bi-lingual children and dyslexic students, I fully understand how difficult spelling and grammar can be.
I was told I had hashimoto's disease last week and I'm still getting my mind around it. I've been reading up as much as possible and I thought peanuts (and peanut butter) were bad for people with hashimoto's disease? Am I wrong?
Has anyone had a bad reaction from pineapple juice before? I had a pot of juice (for the non-Aussie about 270ml I think) and collapsed 15 min later with massive headaches, weak body... I couldn't get off the ground! I can't see my endo until late August which will be fir the first time. Love some feed back please. Also, is there anything good about having this disease?
This thread is more than 2 yrs old; why not start a thread with your own questions and we will be able to answer them all much easier, without all the old irrelevant stuff hanging about........

Also recommend that you check out the thyroid forum.  Great information about all types of thyroid issues.  I happen to have Hashimoto's myself and I'm a frequent poster on thyroid as well.  

BTW -- to my knowledge, neither peanuts, nor peanut butter are bad for those with Hashimoto's, unless you have unrelated stomach issues, such as diverticulitis or something.  
I have had Hashimoto's for years. I was only DX in December of 09..it did take years to find a Dr to run the correct tests. My Dr suggested organic /no hormone antibiotic meat and dairy...I said poo-poo...UNTIL I read the one book I found that helped me the most is Jillian Michaels, " Mastering Your Metabolism"..Jillian Michaels is Hypo/ Hashimoto's too. She suggests ( and I am a believer, now) going organic, whole foods, whole grains, no processed foods, free range chicken, no hormones (makes sense to me), no antibiotics beef and milk, no nitrates or nitrites (deli meat, hot dogs ect)..I have been following this method for 2 mons and have lost 20lbs and I feel like I eat more than I have in years..and  EVERYTHING TASTES BETTER...oh, no caffiene, high fructose corn syrup...actually, NO corn products, soy products, bleached, enriched..basically no processed foods. I enjoy shopping for my food and finding new ways to make it. It is a great diet for diabetes too. My daughter, who has ADHD (never on meds for it)  has calmed down with just changing our food choices...so added bonus!!! Not everyone will agree with me but I know how I feel..I feel like I am in my early 20's ( I will be 40 in Dec)...and my skin looks great, too.

Just something to consider
dinergal
I am a firm believer in getting my food as close to "raw" as I can.  Check around the outside perimeter of your grocery store, that's where the most "unprocessed" food is - produce, meats, dairy, etc; the closer to the middle of the store you get, the more processed foods you will find.

I totally agree with the whole grains, etc; I have not given up corn, but I do not eat soy as it inhibits the absorption of thyroid med.  I also eat very little sugar.

I've read several articles that are now saying that for a lot of foods, it's not necessary to spend the extra $ for organic.  I usually don't.
I an 43 and was diagnosed with Hashimotos about a year ago...I am not extremely overweight, but have been struggling for a few years to lose 10 pounds.  My doctor told me to discontinue my membership with weight watchers because I will never lose the weight and I am wasting my money.  (That was about one year ago).  I exercise regularly and eat lots of fruits and vegetables and still the weight was not coming off.  Finally, I decided to try something different...Low carb diet not to exceed 20 carbs per day.  Well, it has been one week and I lost 5.5 pounds!!!  
Lots of fruits and veggies are good for you.  My doctor has recently recommended the Miami Mediterranean diet. I haven't had time to read up on it yet.

I have Hashi's also and when my thyroid levels are right for me - not just in the normal range - I find that I can lose weight.  As soon as my levels drop, I start gaining again and I know it's time to increase my med.
I have had hypothyroidism for many years and was just diagnosed by Dr Arem with Hashimoto's disease.  He put me on a Gluten - free, diary free, sugar free and fruit free diet.  He said that this will reduce the inflammation in my body.  I have been on this about 1 week and it is really hard but I am determined to succeed!  

I am also on compounded T3 and synthroid.  Vitamin D was down and I am taking that too.

Besides the weight gain, my hair is falling out!  It always has with hypothyroidism but this is even more extreme.

You may have read about Dr. Arem in the article in Woman's World magazine about Oprah's problems.

Good luck.  I hope you are getting better by now.
Yes, I've read about Oprah's issues and don't have much faith in her doctors anymore, as it seems like it's all pretty much PR.  Oprah has thyroid issues that, apparently, she doesn't want to acknowledge, or once acknowledged they are diminished; therefore she goes on diet after diet and loses then gains it all back -- maybe what she really needs is to get her thyroid levels balanced, then with a good diet and exercise program, she might lose weight and keep it off.  Just my opinion............

I will agree that sugar free (as in refined sugar) is good, because of the blood sugar issues  - spikes and valleys.  

I see no reason for gluten free, dairy free, or fruit free unless one has an allergy to them.  Whole grains are an important part of a balanced diet, as is dairy.  If one does not have an allergy to gluten or lactose, why would they need to eliminate it?  

Same goes for fruit. Fruits have an enormous amount of vitamins and minerals - why would anyone need to eliminate them if they don't have an allergy?  I understand that some fruit has a lot of sugar and should be limited for that reason - beyond that, I can't see a need to eliminate it.  

If we start eliminating all these foods for no apparent reason other than some doctor says they are bad for us, how are we going to get the nutrients we need?  

Just did a search of Dr Arem and I see that he has multiple "remedies" for thyroid issues and they all go straight to his wallet  ---------- if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.............

Just my opinion
I have hashimotos for 15 years now and i am so depressed i just cannot loose the weight SOME ONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went from being all my life 59 kilos at a height of 180cms i know weigh 100 kiols so so sad this is like someone has put a curse on me how did this happen.  

Not only did I put on weight but i had no idea whatsoever that Hash would attack your glands.  Your ovaries are a gland and 10 years on IVF i had no eggs at all so i could not have children.   If someone had of told me when i was 20 about this terrible disease i would have tried earlIER and may have been able to have children.  

So now i am fat fat fat and my friends and family cannot for the life of them understand what has happen to me.

Some one must have a cure or some way possible that i can go back to what i was of 59 kilos HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!  
I have tried starting a new thread with very few replies so will try weighting in here...(no pun intended ;))

I have struggled  with my weight for many years.  I have had Hashimoto's for over 40 years and finally have a doctor who actually checked free T3 levels and found them low.  I am just about to start on Armour.

I realize there can be many reasons for low free T3 conversion including low selenium, iodine, low vitamins (I am low in Vitamin D),
and possibly as I will explain something called low leptin resistance.

I have felt my metabolism in general is sluggish.  I recently found an article that talks about leptin resistance in those with thyroid problems as being a factor in difficulty losing weight.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweightsuccessfully/a/weight-loss-diet.htm

I am not in any way an expert.  I just am looking for help with weight gain.  The few times I have lost weight it has been possible only by extreme measures and by living on veggies and higher protein and few calories.  It is extreme.  So I am sure there is more at play then just calories.  It also helped to exercise more but now that isn't quite as possible as I have been diagnosed also with pure autonomic failure and now have difficulty with bouts of low blood pressure when I stand very long.  My heart no longer speeds up when I exercise so my respiratory system has  to kick in and take up the slack so even walking up a hill is pretty hard.  That said I can walk on level ground early in the day.    

I plan to talk to my doctor about levels of selenium and iodine and such. I have not been tested for gluten intolerance but I think it is worth doing.  I think the body is a very complicated thing and there can be many things which impede weight loss.  I don't think my body handles sugar well so I try to avoid it and for me fruits fall in that category.  I know they are full of vitamins and for many people they are an important part of their diet and a necessary part.  Just for me I don't seem to handle them well and I don't feel as good eating them and I gain weight faster when I eat them.  Again not  for everyone...just for me.  I know plenty of people who can handle sugar fine and fruit too and lose weight on diets containing a lot of fruit.  I think we have to pay attention to our individual differences.  Our bodies are not all the same.

I have been trying to get a medical opinion on the leptin resistance as I don't know if this is a mainstream medical opinion or not. I also have not been able to talk to anyone who has been tested and treated for it.
I really think it may be true in my case that there is something impeding weight loss and the leptin resistance and rT3 may be it.  I want to at least investigate the possibility.  Of course I am eager to get the free T3 adjusted down...possibly for the first time in my adult life...and see how I feel and if it makes a difference with weight loss.  I would very much like to hear what others think of this article.  Thanks...Marie

I do not believe that leptin resistance is a "mainstream" medical issue.  I've never been tested for it and I've never talked to anyone else who's been tested for it.  I don't even know if there are tests available from most labs, so I don't know that you are going to find a lot of information on it on the patient forums; it's not something we hear a lot about.  I've read just enough to be dangerous.  

My experience is that I, too, have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and hypothyroidism.  When my Free T3 and Free T4 levels are right for me - not just "normal" on the lab report, I can lose weight.  Yes, I have to work at it (meaning I have to eat right and move around a bit), but at least I *can* lose; whereas when my FT levels are not right for me, I might as well forget weight loss.  

Your low FT3 could be simply that you need a higher dosage of thyroid med or that you don't convert FT4 to FT3 properly so there's not enough available for use.  This will throw your metabolism off.

If your metabolism is "sluggish", most likely, it's because your FT3 levels are too low.  

CATO1956 --- yes, your ovaries produce hormones, but please be assured that Hashimoto's does NOT attack the ovaries.  Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease that produces very smart antibodies that attack and destroy ONLY the thyroid gland--- they do NOT attack any other glands or organs -- they are totally thyroid specific...........

I strongly suggest that you both check out the thyroid forum; there's a lot of information there that could help you both.  
i was diagnosed with hashimotos in june and have gained 15 lbs since then, i am active and eat right and i also take the meds to keep my levels even. i can't get rid of the weight and it has settled in my thighs(outer and inner) and on my hips,just like my doctor said it would(the infamous pear shape) im getting married in 3 months and would like to slim down. i need tips.
I was just diagnosed with Hashimotos last week. I believe it really only started this past December. I had my blood checked and my doctor said my thyroid level was a little high and I was supposed to get it checked again about 6 weeks later but I didn't. My then doctor left the country to live in New Zealand with her husband and children for a couple years. I hadn't really needed to go to the doctor since then (I went in December becuase I had what my doctor said was a "Drop Attack" which sounds funny but I was in the middle of Toys'R'Us shopping for Christmas presents for my children and I thought the store blew up, one of the scariest things that had ever happened to me. It literally felt like someone knocked my feet right out from under me and I went down so fast I hit my head on the floor and blacked out for a second. I remember the fall because it looked liek the store was falling with me but I believe I had a mild concussion, just glad I wasn't holding either one of my kids).
Anyways, I had my second child, my daughter, in Nov '08 and in Feb '09 my husband and I began working out with P90X and between the exercise, nursing, eating almost no fat and I guess a HYPERthyroid women get after they have a baby, I lost 26 lbs. I stopped nursing in Oct '09 and through the holidays, my husband being in the hospital and his business going up and down, I put most of my weight back on. I'm 5' even and weighed 134 when I finally went to my new Dr. I had a friend that had gone to see him becuase he is a PCP PA and he specializes in weight loss. He put me on phentermine and HGC(HCG, I always get them backwards) shots and a low carb diet. I have been very successful with it, Lost 12 lbs so far, however, because I was a new patient and he didn't have my medical history in hand, of course I had to do some blood work. My antibodies were high and so was my thyroid so he diagnosed me with Hashimoto's. He said I can maintain the pills and shots but I have to start taking synthroid, too, and go back to get another blood test in 6 weeks. I went for the weight loss because I was unhappy with the weight I had gained and trying to feel better about myself, I wanted to lose it, easily. I had been walking 4-5 days a week 2-3 miles a day and started running at least one mile and lost 1 lb over the course of 3 months, and that was with doing a low fat (low saturated fat mostly) diet during the course of walking/running. So it's been successful being on the pills and shots, but I'm embarassed to say I'm on them. I guess my hope is that when I get to the weight I want to be and getting my thyroid under control, I will be able to maintain the weight without putting back on so easeily (and staying on a low carb/good car only diet). Has anyone had success with losing the weight and once maintaining the thyroid issue, keeping it off or is it a constant battle forever?

Between having two kids (almost 2 and almost 6), my son's (6) fotball schedule (Mon, Tues, Thur, Fri practice from 6-8 and Games every Sat) and his homework, my daughter's (sweet) crazy tornado like actions, working full time, having a husband that owns his own business, making dinner, cleaning, and everything else in between, I just didn't have time to start exercising like I'd like to (namely P90X which is 1hr a day everyday but Sun). I feel like I'm copping out by being on the regime that I am but it's been easy.

I'm also curious if being O- blood type and being RH- during my pregnancies increases the risk for Hashimoto's...
I had two miscarriages before I had my successful pregnancy with my daughter and going through the works during pregnancy it was never caught and I don't think I had a regular blood work up since Fall of '06 maybe. My SIL suggested then I get my thryoid checked but everything was fine, supposedly, before I had my daughter. I know this isn't a life threatening disease but it's frustrating to have. I was always a very petite person and it's so disheartening to be where I (and I presume most of us with this disease feel) am.

Sorry, with my monologue on my life over, my two biggest questions are if you get to a weight you're comfortable with, once you maintain the thyroid, is it easier to keep the weight off? And I read that most women get it after pregnancy, which is how I think mine started (and an onset of stress...), is there any correlation between Hashimoto's and being RH-?

Also, my sister has a friend that is very into slternative forms of medicene and told her that hypothyroidism can be a result of having your voice and feelings suppressed. She knows some Acupuncturists that help people with thyroid issues and I was wondering if anyone on here had tried that?  
I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto Disease for about 10 yrs now (which brought on Hypothyroidism, weight gain, sleep apnea and PCOS to name a few). I had been taking Synthroid for several years same time everyday but to no avail. I get my levels checked every 3 months and they have changed my med up and down to keep my T4 levels normal but even with them being at "normal" levels I was far from it. I suffered from hair loss, weight gain, extreme mood swings, skin rashes, aches, pains, etc. Nothing made me feel "normal". The beginning of this year I decided enough is enough at 25 yrs old I should not feel like I'm 80 and I would like to become health before I have children. I did some research and found that many people with Hashimoto Disease felt better on T3 medication (Cytomel) along with Synthroid. So I went to an Endocrinologist he refused to give me Cytomel but raised my Synthroid and found that I had PCOS. 2 months later still felt crappy and was getting worst. I would look in the mirror and feel disconnected as if I was looking at someone else. I felt I was looking at a stranger (which scared the hell out me to frank). I would cry at the drop of a dime and not even know why. So I went to another Endocrinologist for a second opinion once again I was made to think I was crazy he looked at me and said AS I QUOTE " If your levels are normal it's something else. Then tested my levels and told me I was extremely low on Vitamin D.  At this point I'm about to really lose it. I went to my family Dr which I have known for years with my mother to back up my story and explained I had done research and truly believe I would feel better if I was on Cytomel and would not leave his office until I could at least try it. So now it is one month after being on Cytomel at the lowest dose and I feel great and it has been a dramatic change. A lot of Doctors refuse to give their patients Cytomel if their T3 levels are normal. Apparently Synthroid after in the system turns into T3 another reason why Doctors don't prescribe it. But in my case my T3 levels were fine as well as my T4 levels but all the symptoms was there. Everyone is different but I would highly recommend trying Cytomel. So far it works for me without changing my diet (yet).
You are right that synthroid, which is a T4 med, must be converted to T3 in the body in order to be used......... some of us don't do the conversion well........   We know that "normal" on the lab report does not necessarily mean "normal" for us, and often we have to argue/demand further treatment from our doctors.......

That said, I would never advocate someone to start on a T3 med (cytomel) without having Free T3 blood tests to show that it's needed.  The way to tell is if the Free T4 is high and Free T3 is very low (even if "in range")......... T3 med is very potent and should be monitored carefully.........

I, too, am on a small dose of T3 med (generic cytomel) and it does help a lot; however, I would NEVER encourage anyone to start on a T3 med without proper labs to make sure it's needed, as it's very fast acting and can send one hyper very quickly......

I also caution against demanding a T3 med (either cytomel or generic) for the sole purpose of losing weight.  That's asking for trouble because it can send you hyper in a heart beat.  Better to stay a bit hypo than to risk going hyper.  

I strongly recommend that you check out the thyroid forum here on Med Help.  There is a ton of information there regarding thyroid issue, weight gain/loss, lab tests and results, etc............
If anyone is looking for a compound pharmacy, there is one here in Littleton, CO called Wise Pharmacy. go to :  www.wisepharmacy.com  
Armour thyroid is hard to find and constantly have shortages. Wise Pharm makes it right there..They will mail it to anywhere in the country..
Its true I had seen many drs and specialist and to tell me I would never lose weight due to my disease I almost believed them. It's just finding the right dr. I found mine, Dr. Caldron placed me on Hcg, changed my thyroid to armour and palced me on amino acids in which I lost 32 lbs in two months. I have more energy and finally am dating. I feel great you jsut have to research for one.
I'm not a fan of HCG shots because of the drastic diet that must go along with them; AND because I feel that anyone losing weight on a plan like that, is really fighting a losing battle, because this is only a "short term fix"; even though you will lose weight initially, you are almost guaranteed to gain it back (often, plus more) once you stop the shots/diet.  

It's far better to incorporate an eating and exercise plan that you can stick with for the long term; one that will become a permanent lifestyle. By doing this, you will keep things at a relatively constant level, which will make maintaining your weight a lot easier.
hello
i  am diagnos with hashimoto and i am  filing strainge
i thikn i have a dipresion to , i have no familyi in in hire
i am filing dwon aaaa a i am sad i am very fat
How long have you had Hashimoto's?  Are you on thyroid medication?  Are your thyroid levels stable?  

Maybe if you could tell us more about yourself, we might be able to help a bit more. What type of diet you eat?  Do you get any exercise?  If so, how much and what kind(s)?  
Where can I find the information forum that you mention. My daughter has been diagnosed with Hashi and this doctor is saying that it will take 7K to do tests and cleansings?
Sorry I haven't responded to your question; I've been in a bit of a funk this past week.  Below is a link to the home page of the thyroid forum.  There is a ton of information.  

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Thyroid-Disorders/show/73?camp=msc

I'm already 'leery' of your doctor.  What tests and "cleansings" is he going do for 7K?  

There are some basic tests that need to be done, but if your daughter is dx'd with Hashi's already, then it would seem that a lot of the tests would have had to be done to an accurate dx.  Let me know how I can help.
WOW there are a lot of comments on this forum!  The majority of them have been very helpful, as I too have been diagnosed with Hashimotos after giving birth to my first son.

I've been to a nature-path and his answer was for me to go completely off wheat.  He said we could test me for a wheat allergy, but he said HD is *usually* caused by a wheat allergy.  Now I understand, (mostly from other forums/blogs I've read), that not everyone who has gone on a wheat/gluten free diet have reaped benefits in their HD, but I believe I have.

The reason I went to the Dr. was because my mom told me my neck was getting a little thick, ie.; goiters.  She knows what they look like because she has them herself, as well as a thyroid that doesn't function what-so-ever.

Since I am inclined to checking out the more natural ways of dealing with problems like this, I went to the nature-path first.  He tested my levels and my antibody count and said I had HD.  He gave me Naturoid (sp), and after a month I had labs drawn again.  When those labs came back all my thyroid levels had come back into a normal range, but my antibody count was still high.  Since the Naturoid did not bring my antibody count back into a normal range, (at least this is my guess), he told me to try staying off wheat for three months.  I thought that sounded doable, (especially since the next option was staying off dairy, and I'd much rather avoid wheat than dairy), and I stayed off wheat for the amount of time he recommended.  Well at least I thought I did.  After the three months were up I realized that I was still getting little bits of wheat from sources like malt in my rice krispies and soy sauce *sigh*, but my goiters had decreased in size!  He sent me to have my blood work drawn again and it came back with my antibody count still high, but because my neck looked so much smaller he felt very confident that it was an allergy to wheat that was causing my HD.  

The next step was to continue off the wheat, (and ALL gluten foods), for another three months and then draw labs again.  

Well I'm here to say I followed that advice for a couple months, but then the other day talked with a lady who made me very doubtful of my Dr.'s advice.  She told me to see an Endocrinologist, because she had never heard of following a gluten free diet as a method of treatment.  I'm now pregnant with my second child and don't want to jeopardize this baby's health in any way, so I really want to get that second opinion I've been meaning to get.   But like I said a few sentences ago, I started eating wheat products again to see how I would feel and I must say, my throat has not felt this swollen and agitated in a long time.  I'm fairly certain that my Dr.'s advice FOR ME was dead on, though I think it might be worse when I couple wheat with refined sugars, (ie.; a cookie), vs. just eating a dinner roll.

So I say all that to hopefully give credit to the side that says, "Hey I've tried the gluten free thing (though not faithfully), and it has DEFINITELY made a difference in my HD!"  The Dr. doesn't have me on any thyroid medication, and after three months of being "off" of wheat all my thyroid levels were still in range of what they should be, except my antibody count.  I really want to have a food allergy test done so that I can be made fully convinced that staying away from gluten is good for me, but I wouldn't be surprised if it came back with a big fat positive for gluten intolerance/allergy.  

Barb, have you ever had a food allergy test done?  I was just wondering, because you posted a couple of times that you don't have a problem with grains.  I wanted to say that I never thought I did either, until yesterday when I ate them and immediately felt the inflammation triggered in my goiters.  

Also, thank you to all the people who have mentioned eating a diet low in inflammation triggers!  I hadn't even thought about how that would benefit someone with goiters, but it makes perfect sense.  

Hope my story helps/encourages/enlightens anyone who reads it!  God bless!
The gluten free diet is very controversial for those of us with Hashimoto's.  Hashimoto's is caused because the body sees the thyroid as foreign, so produces antibodies to kill it; the reason for this is unknown. The idea that gluten is involved in any way, has never been scientifically proven. Nor has it ever been proven that going gluten free (g/f) will shrink a goiter (which is simply an enlarged/inflamed thyroid), or lower antibodies.  If you are truly intolerant of gluten, you may have celiac disease, which is another autoimmune disease. If you suspect that you have it, you should get tested.  I have a friend who is  truly allergic to wheat and just a tiny bit can make him extremely ill - to the point of hospitalization.  The main doctors who recommend the g/f trail, are naturopaths or chiropractors following a particular protocol.

You can, in fact, cause yourself to be intolerant of gluten, simply by not eating it.  Naturally, if you avoid something for a long time, then start eating it again, it will take time for your body to adjust to having that substance.  I suspect this is why you felt poorly after eating gluten, again.  I have another friend who actually caused herself great difficulty by going g/f, when she didn't need to.

No, I have never been tested for wheat allergy, because I don't have any of the symptoms and my doctor saw no need for it.  I did tell him that someone had suggested that I go g/f and asked if he thought I should try it; his answer was "why go through something like that, when there's no evidence that it's causing a problem?".  

While I am not g/f, I do try to limit myself to whole grains, and eliminate the refined flour, sugar, etc.  I also try to eat foods that will help cut down inflammation, which is a key factor with Hashi's.  

I strongly suggest that since you are pregnant, you have your ob/gyn keep a very close eye on your thyroid levels, because adequate hormones are essential for proper growth and development of your baby.
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto 7 years ago and have been on Synthroid. I work out regularly. Most saturdays I run between 6 to 10 miles. Tue & Thu I have a 80 minute cardio and on fridays I do weights and swim. I am trying to introdue some workout for on/wed. I am vegetarian eat decently - morning oats, then egg and fruit after workout, sandwich and yogurt, salad and then dinner with whole grains and lentils. My weight is  steadily going up. I am now 150 lbs 20 lbs more than where I started. Getting frusturated with the weight gain. My dr's advice cut everything I eat by 50%. When I was eating less, I was always tired. Even now I am tired a lot. Feeling frusturated
Hashimoto's disease is sometimes associated with Celiac disease (and also diabetes).  If you have Celiac disease then you should definitely be on a gluten free diet.  I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease and am putting myself on a gluten free diet to see if there is a change for me.
It sounds like your thyroid medication could use some adjustment.  Weight gain usually stops once thyroid levels are adequate for you.  

Both you and Maggoe might want to check out the Thyroid Disorders Community here on MedHelp, if you haven't already.  There's a ton of information there, regarding med, getting/keeping hormone levels optimal, etc.
Hello all,
(sorry if my spellin is wrong sometimes, english is not my primary language)

I've been recently diagnosed with "Hashi".
I'm not so overweight, but when I tried to loose some, I find it was just impossible. So my quest begun. I became convinced I had insulin resistance (I wake up every day with my glucose on 97 mg/dL). Two doctor friends claimed I was 'OK" just by lloking at me and they said I just needed to workout more...
I finally got my blood tested... Hashimoto!

I'm now on 50 ug Levothyroxine for my thyroid and 500 mg Metformin to improve my insulin sensitivity (this last one was my own idea and had to ´force' my doctor to give it a try).

After three weeks, I feel a little more active and waking up is less traumatic. My blood sugar remains steady al 97 in the morning (will probably increase meformin dosage).
So, can you guys help me out? I have two questions.

1.- I´ve been diagnosed with Hashi simply because my antithyroid antibodies were high.
Antithyroid microsomal: 316.8 U/mL (normal max: 60)
Antithyroid Thyroglobulin: 120.9 U/mL (normal max: 60)
T3: 0,91 ng/ml (reference 0.8 - 1.9)
T4L: 1,19 ng/dl (reference 0.35 - 5)
TSH: 3.07 uUI/mL (reference 0.78 - 1.45)
I undestand these readings may indicate many thing other than Hashi. Would you guys agree with my doctor's diagnose? What additional tests can be performed to confirm Hashi?

2.- I've been repeatedly reading here suggestions to avoid certain foods completely. I intent to eliminate one at a time, so I can see individualy which ones are bad for me.
So here is the question:
How much time of suppression is enough to conclude if a particular food if bad for me? A couple of weeks? more?

Thank you guys!
Will keep you posted on my progress!
Sorry,
I typed wrong.... :(

T3: 0,91 ng/ml (reference 0.8 - 1.9)
T4L: 1,19 ng/dl (reference 0.78 - 1.45)
TSH: 3.07 uUI/mL (reference 0.35 - 5)

The fact that you have elevated antibody levels (both TPOab and TGab) would make your doctor correct in diagnosing Hashi's.  Have you had a thyroid ultra sound to check for nodules?  

Are your tests for T3 and T4, for Free or Total values?  

The foods to avoid are mostly those with a higher glycemic value, such as some fruits, sugar, products made with white flour, etc. Some people believe they must go gluten and/or dairy free; however, unless you are allergic to them, I don't know that it will do any good.  

I have been reading all of the postings, and the only sympton being mentioned is weight. I however feel the other symptons can be more of an issue. My worst symtons among the weight gain are the dry skin and fatigue and memory functions. The whole diet and exercise issue varies form each person to person. No matter what we do and what doctors say we all react diffrentally to meds and diets, I so realize symptons are the same, but again everyone is diffrent.
  I am 42 and have tried the grain / no grain, no salt. and even gone veigan, and nothing I try is working to lose my weight. I walk daily and go to the gym. I have just learned to do the best I can dealing with this problem and live the best life I can for my family. Thank you to everyone for posting the issues and great ideas on how to best deal  with this medical mystery..
You are absolutely correct that everyone is different; we all react differently to the medications; we all need our levels to be right for us........ what's right for me, may not be right for you; however, I did find that once my Free T3 and Free T4 were adjusted to the higher end of their ranges, it became easier for me to lose weight, although I'm not lucky enough to be one for whom the weight just falls off; I do still have to really work at it.

By the way - your symptoms of dry skin, fatigue and memory functions indicate that your thyroid levels may not be optimal for you........ you might like to check out the thyroid forum here on Med Help; there are tons of posts that will give information that may be helpful.
Has anyone had their Antiperoxidase, ANA, or a thyroglobulin antibody tested? If not, how do they know it's really Hashimoto's? Everyone is talking about TSH, T3, & T4 they don't mean a lot to Hashimoto's. Hashimoto's isn't a thyroid problem but an autoimmune disease. It can and does attack other parts of the body ex. "hashimoto's encephalopathy". I started on a low dose of synthroid when I was dx with hashimotos even though all my thyroid test were prefect! As I uderstand it, no one know why your body starts to attack itself, and there is no cure. It may be a response to alergies (allergies), virus, bacteria or may even be a genetic flaw. So treatment for low thyroid may not be the same for Hashimoto's. We need answers.
Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease in which the body sees the thyroid as "foreign" and produces antibodies to attack and kill it.  Hashimoto's encepalopathy is, as yet a controversial condition, but is often linked to Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  

Hashimoto's is the most common cause of hypothyroidism; therefore, thyroid levels (TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 are very important, because as the Hashimoto's destroys the thyroid, the thyroid produces less and less hormones.  This is why many people have to have their medication adjusted periodically to make up for the loss of hormones.

You're right -- it's very possible to have Hashimoto's and have normal thyroid levels - this is because the antibodies have not yet done enough damage to your thyroid to stop it from making adequate hormones. As time goes on, I would be very surprised if you don't have to have your thyroid medication increased, as well.

Yes, I have Hashitmoto's Thyroiditis; yes, I've been tested for TPOab, TGab and ANA.  I have nodules on my thyroid and also have hypothyroidism.

I'm reading that most doctors treat Hashimoto as a thyroid disease (like turning the "check engine light" out on a car instead of servicing what caused the light to come on in the first place. They treat the thyroid as if it were a car part by just replacing or lubing instead of finding the actual cause. This is very frustrating as they don't treat the actual autoimmune disease that caused the thyroid to lose hormones in the first place.  All they do is replace the hormone and this causes the autoimmune disease to continue.  This is why many people cannot lose the weight and have further problems from the autoimmune.  The TSH and thyroid may appear normal many times when it's really the autoimmune numbers they should be checking.!     Go online to the "Thyroid" journal written for endocronologists and read "Hashimoto often have symptoms even though thyroid tests are normal.  Also several books are writing how Hashimoto is often not being treated as autoimmune as many doctors not up on the latest technology are misinformed with old outdated info.
There is no real way to treat the autoimmune disease; once you have it, there's no way to make it go away.  All that's left is to treat the hypothyroidism, caused by the Hashimoto's.  

Yes, as I stated in my previous post "it's very possible to have Hashimoto's and have normal thyroid levels - this is because the antibodies have not yet done enough damage to your thyroid to stop it from making adequate hormones."

The actual thyroid hormones are what controls metabolism, heart rate, etc.; it's an inadequate amount of hormones that causes the metabolism and heart rate to slow down, not the antibodies themselves.  

You might want to check out the Mayo Clinic's website on Hashimoto's for further information.  
I have severe food allergies, all of which I have to avoid.  Name a grain and I am allergic to it.   You do not become sensitive by eliminating food you are reacting to, you help your body become desensitized, and hopefully, you will be able to one day introduce small amounts of those foods back in to your diet.  People can get adequate nutrition and still eliminate grains.  
To everyone:  Look at the mayo site, it specifically says to watch soy products.  Soy interferes with your medicine.  Soy is the new corn syrup and is very hard to avoid, unless you eat whole foods.   Fiber can also affect the levels of your medication you are taking.  
Low fat foods often have some type of thickener (corn syrup, soybean oil, wheat) that add just as many calories as the fat the product eliminated.  Our bodies can run on fat, but excess starches (such as those in grains) are stored in our bodies as fat, and this process occurs quickly in response to elevated blood sugar levels.  Fat is metabolized more slowly, so the body has a chance to use it before storing it as fat.
Has anyone wondered why there is such an upsurge in metabolic and autoimmune disease since the instigation of the food pyramid that pushes little fat and lots of grains?
I agree with a lot of what you said; however, I also disagree with some of it......

I know someone who thought going gluten free was "the thing to do", so she did, even though gluten really caused her no problems; once she realized that wasn't helping her, she found that when she tried to eat products with gluten, she had all kinds of problems....... she began introducing them very slowly, and is now back on a regular diet, that includes grain, with no issues.  My own doctor told me NOT to go gluten free because I'm not allergic to it, so there's no reason to.......  

I totally agree that there really ARE people out there that are allergic to gluten; those people should most certainly stay away from it........ again, I have another friend who is allergic to wheat - no, not gluten, but to wheat....... he can not eat anything that contains wheat or it makes him deathly ill...... he can eat other grains that contain gluten.

Whole grains are considered part of a healthy diet, unless one is allergic to them.... the grains that are stored as fat are those that are "refined", such as in white bread, white rice, etc - those are considered "simple carbs" and are broken down quickly; they have very little nutritional content.  You're right, they will cause blood sugar spikes ........ If you stick with "whole" grains you're getting complex carbs that take longer to break down, therefore do not spike the blood sugar like simple carbs do.  Of course, if you are truly allergic to grains, by all means, avoid them like the plague....

Absolutely agree with what you said about soy -- soy inhibits absorption of thyroid medications and should be avoided at all costs...... Some members (including myself) of the thyroid forum even recently realized that soy is in their vitamin/mineral supplements we take ....... read all product labels before buying.......

Also agree with your analogy of low fat foods -- take away the fat, you  have to add something else to keep the flavor.  That "something else" is usually more sugar (another simple carb).

Not all fats are created equal, just like not all carbs are created equal.  

Some fats are good for us - those would be the monounstaturated and polyunsaturated fats.. those are found in such things as nuts, seeds, avocados, etc.  You should avoid saturated fats, such as those that come from meat or full fat dairy products.

Fiber will only affect your medication if eaten too close to taking the medication.  I often eat whole grain toast for breakfast, shortly after taking my thyroid med and it has not caused me to have to take a higher dose of thyroid med.

Hi, I'd really love to know how you managed your Hashimotos so well...it is genetic for me and I put on almost 60kgs before I was correctly diagnosed and I might add I am still trying to lose 15kgs after 5 years!  I have developed an allergy to gluten, may have coeliac disease, have an intolerance for brassicas and also soy (if you are reading your materials correctly) is a direct cause of imbalance with any thyroid disease, not recommended by any doctor or in fact in any reading material I have - experience the pain I do and you would understand perhaps.  I also understand Hashimotos is a disease not a condition.  You sound like such an expert, I would really like you to share with us all your secrets because I sure as heck would like to hear from someone who says it is not impossible to treat...share your doctor's details or your expertise if that is the case and does your doctor travel (to Australia perhaps).  Thanks very much a very frustrated Sharon Johnson
I don't control the Hashi's, I control the hypothyroidism caused by the Hashi's.  As I've said, once you have the antibodies, you have them for life.  They don't really go away, though once they have "killed" your thyroid, they would go into remission because they only attack thyroid tissue.  I, too, gained weight - about 30 lbs in 3 months just prior to being dx'd hypo.

When I was first diagnosed hypo, I was treated improperly, which kept me ill for months longer than I should have been.  Once I began to get proper testing/treatment, I started getting better.  

The first thing you have to do, is make sure you are getting proper testing done each time and on the proper medication; that's one that will keep your Free T3 and Free T4 levels at a point that's right for you, just being "in range" is not enough, even though many doctors think it is.  If you still have a lot of symptoms, I'd say either you need your med adjusted or there's something else wrong.  

If you are allergic to gluten, then by all means switch to a g/f diet.  I fully agree with you, in regards to the soy issue, though I do (very seldom) eat something with soy in it.  Soy  prevents absorption of thyroid medication and should never be used soon after taking medication. I take my thyroid med in the morning and might have something with a bit of soy sauce for dinner; that's about it. You also have to read labels on vitamins/minerals, as some of us from the thyroid forum, recently discovered that our vitamin D supplements had soy in them.

There are vitamins/minerals you can take that will help control thyroid issues.  Research shows that selenium can help with the conversion of T4 to the usable T3, magnesium can help with the muscle/joint aches/pains and also with the constipation brought on by hypothyroidism.  Many people with Hashimoto's/hypothyroidism are low in vitamins D, B12, calcium and others. I, personally, have pernicious anemia, as well, so must take a weekly B12 injection.  

Feel free to check out the thyroid forum here on MedHelp.  There are a lot of knowledgeable people who are more than willing to help you out.

Taken from Mayo clinic website:

"Hashimoto's disease does not have unique signs and symptoms. The disease typically progresses slowly over a number of years and causes chronic thyroid damage, leading to a drop in thyroid hormone levels in your blood. The signs and symptoms are mainly those of an underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism)."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hashimotos-disease/DS00567/DSECTION=symptoms
I have had Hashimoto's since I was 28...I am now 45 years Young. :)...I have tried every diet under the sun, I am a vegetarian...though I will admit...I loooove Fruit and can eat it like it's going out of style...especially bananas and watermelon. I have recently given up the "so called goitrogenic foods" Kale, Spinach, Cauliflower, Peanuts, Millet, etc etc., and I have been prescribed (finally with my harrassing from me to my physican) .25mg of Cytomel along with .175 mg of Levoxyl. I just started this regimen...I hope that I see some difference in my dry skin, hair, nails, mood and more particularly the weight issues...I gained 55 pounds in the 17 year period...not happy...not thrilled at all...but I'm a fighter. So, Now that I'm on the T4 T3 therapy, I will also be trying extremely hard to balance that with proper vitamins...I was told Magnesium, L-Carnitine, B12-B6-Folic Acid, Lutein, Vitamin's E, C, and D (especially for women...those of us low), Iron (my Ferritin levels were practically nil...no wonder I was so exhausted...even this element is important in terms of weight loss and overall mood), ALA, N-Acetylcysteine, and L-Gluatamine (1500mg), and Garlic. I was also told that those of us who suffer with Hashimoto's/Hypothyroidism, have a higher chance of getting heart disease and so my physcian says that OPCS are good as well. The OPCS are Pycegnol (excuse me if this is not the correct spelling). Exercise is great but I was told that too much exercise taxes the thryoid too...so a good balance of exercise with the right food choices, medications, and proper vitamin combination will probably assist. I will not be holding my breath in terms of the weight loss but I'm praying that it will be a nice surprise...I suppose with anything...Time is of the essence and this will take time and patience....Good luck to everyone! Hopefully, some of the things I've discussed here will help you as well...God Bless!
Everyone should go to www.thyroid360.com and order Dr. Kharrazian's book " Why do I still have thyroid symptoms? When my blood test are normal". This book talks about the differences between hypothyroid and Hashimoto's thyroiditis. It will educate you on why gluten free is important and other ways to treat the two different thyroid diseases. You can find doctors all over that follow Dr. K's book and treatment methods. I have one myself usually they are N.D.'s or Chiropractors but the treatments really help and mood and weight loss are part of the changes I saw.
Dr K's book has some good things in it, but the g/f theory is not backed up by science, and his protocol is mostly a money trail. If it were based on solid facts, don't you think there would be more primary care doctors, endos, ENT's, etc following it?

Barb - I'm coming to you for some help and information. My girlfriend told me that she was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis yesterday. She is 62 years old, and she weighs right at 160 pounds. That puts her about 15 pounds overweight for having a BMI of below 25, not that much overweight. She has not experienced any significant weight gain, and she does not exhibit any of the other symptoms mentioned in your blog. Her doctor discovered nodules on her thyroid when she had a Cat Scan, or MRI, done on her neck after she was involved in an auto accident. Her doctor had her go to an Endocrinologist. That was who told her that she has Hashimoto's Thryoiditis. I have not seen the results of blood work up yet. Could you tell me what the "normal" range for the various indicators is, and does it sound to you like she should get a second opinion, or does this Endocrinologist sound pretty much right on with his diagnosis. Thanks for you help. This is the best forum that I have been able to find for getting information on Hashimoto conditions.
I'd have to know what tests your girlfriend's endo is doing on her in order to know whether he's on the right track.  I'd also need to know his recommendation after the blood work comes back.

Many of us with Hashimoto's have nodules on our thyroid, and most often, they aren't an issue.  

Ranges for the various indicators vary from lab to lab, based on how they determine their ranges, and the units of measurement; that's why it's important for us to have you post the ranges, along with the test results.  Often, just being "in range" is not good enough; each patient is different and what might be right for me, may not be right for your girlfriend.

I strongly suggest that you take a look at our thyroid forum, of which I am also a Co Leader.  Read the various posts and comments.  When you have a copy of her blood tests (always make absolutely certain that you get a copy for your records), please start a new thread in the thyroid forum, listing the tests, results and reference ranges from the lab report, along with any symptoms present.  

Here's a link to the home page of the thyroid forum.  To post a new question, just click the orange "Post a Question" button at the top of the page and start typing.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Thyroid-Disorders/show/73?camp=msc&personal_page_id=861625

Because too many people don't get adequate treatment for thyroid issues, I and the other members of the thyroid forum will do everything we can to help you and your girlfriend obtain the best level of treatment.
I live in Asia and was diagnosed with Hashimoto disease two years ago. I have gained about 10kg, have dry skin, tiredness..etc.  However, blood tests consistently says my thyroid function is normal.

I had what my doctor says "sooo many" nodules that doing the needle test is inefficient and ineffective. The recommendation was to remove the whole thyriod. I am totally against it as my thyroid is still functioning and the idea of lifetime medication is not appealing.

So the doc told me there's nothing they can do for me anymore. I am now "discharged".  I can go back if my voice changes which indicates basically that I do have cancer, and it has spread.

As you can imagine, I am not happy. The good thing is, I now take charge.  Exercise and eating healthy is not only about maintaining a healthy weight, but more importantly, a healthy body.

I am now seeking Chinese medicine. They are frank that they can't help with solid nodules, but may be able to help those that contains liquid only. They also don't promise any cure.  But they try to work on the whole body function and make them work better. I am seeing the medicine as natural supplements for my body. Chinese usually take a while to be effective, so I don't know if it works. But I don't have a choice in western meducine.
With the symptoms you  have, you most certainly sound hypo.  If you have lab reports with your most current levels of thyroid hormones, you should post them in the thyroid forum for members to assess.  As I said in my previous post -- just being in the "normal range" is not good enough; you have to be at a level that's right for you.  

I disagree with your doctor that if you voice changes, you do have cancer and/or that it has spread.  I had voice changes when I was hypo and I have not had cancer.

There are no supplements that can replace thyroid hormones, with the exception of synthetic thyroid hormones.
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 6 months ago. Along with synthroid, my doc has me on a gluten free and artificial sweetener free diet.  I have lost 9 pounds...however...my T3 number is still going up (I am over 1600 now) instead of going down. I am going in next week for tests for Epstein Barr Virus and for food and metal allergies...have any of you heard of a connection between thyroid and these things?  Thanks!
I have Hashimoto Disease and am Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Sugar Free, and Grain Free.  I was gaining weight rapidly until a chiropractor put me on the RepairVite and ClearVite Diets (by Apex Energenics). During week 3 the pounds started falling off and I'm back to my normal weight and maintaining.  I purchased the book by Dr. Alexander Haskell ("HOPE FOR HASHIMOTO") and started following his recommendations for taking a T3/T4 Immediate Release Compound.  (Not a slow release as in Armour.  Not a T4 only as in Synthroid).  I've joined the Hashimoto Forums on Facebook and have learned an amazing amount of information.  (There are 6 different ones). Including information that a TSH is not accurate. You must have a complete thyroid panel including Free T3, Free T4, REVERSE T3 and more.  (See "Stop The Thyroid Madness" forum).  I'm doing so much better.  I've also researched extensively with AARDA (Autoimmne Disease Foundation). American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association, AARDA http://www.aarda.org/
List of related diseases: http://www.aarda.org/research_display.php?ID=47
Hope this helps.
I am sorry, and not trying to be rude here... but it seems as though you only have one view and opinion on the topic of hashimotos thyroiditis -- I am wondering if you are a medical professional or have some kind of training and/or background? At this point I feel you are giving some people "off" information on hashimotos disease, and you keep referring to topics that you are finding online that side with your specific opinion. It is true that medical doctors are now discovering all new problems that have been arising with people who have hashi's disease and are linking it to celiac disease as well. Until you have specifically tried going gluten free then you really shouldn't be so opinionated about it. What these people are merely suggesting to you is: it has nothing to do with whether or not a person is allergic or sensitive to gluten, scientists are now reporting in new studies that EVERYONE who has been diagnosed with this disease IS sensitive whether they test positive or not. I am getting frustrated reading your constant opinions on those who are writing to help others, you don't seem to have an open mind on this topic and you keep arguing against them... According to research reported on in the medical journal Digestive Diseases and Sciences, a significant number of patients with autoimmune thyroid disease also have celiac disease. Celiac disease is a disorder that causes the intestines to react abnormally to gluten, a protein found in wheat, rye, barley, oats, spelt, kamut, and other related grains. The researchers studied 172 patients with autoimmune thyroid disease, and two control groups, and found that the 3.4% of patients with autoimmune thyroiditis had celiac disease, and the prevalence was only 0.6% and 0.25% among the control groups. The study also found that undiagnosed celiac disease may actually be part of the process that triggers an underlying autoimmune disease. In their findings they wrote: "We believe that undiagnosed celiac disease can cause other disorders by switching on some as yet unknown immunological mechanism. Untreated celiac patients produce organ-specific autoantibodies."

Of perhaps greatest importance to thyroid patients, the researchers found that the various antibodies that indicate celiac disease - organ-specific autoantibodies (i.e., thyroid antibodies) -- will disappear after 3 to 6 months of a gluten-free diet.

The researchers suggest that patients with autoimmune thyroiditis "may benefit from a screening for celiac disease so as to eliminate symptoms and limit the risk of developing other autoimmune disorders." This is important information for autoimmune thyroid disease patients (Hashimoto's Disease, Graves' Disease) , who are typically told that there is nothing that can be done to reduce antibody levels, or to improve the "autoimmune" aspect of their thyroid conditions. While some recent books have reported on the impact of diet and nutrition on antibody levels, this RESEARCH demonstrates SCIENTIFICALLY how diet may in fact have a major role in autoimmune reactions.
This statement right here alone is going against what you were telling SharonLeeJ... and to top it off, the reason I went gluten free is because MY OWN doctor told me all about celiac disease linking with hashi's and more and more doctors are recommending it everyday... and of course this is nothing you HAVE to do... your doctor recommends you to stop smoking cigarettes too, does this mean I can smoke all I want because he doesn't tell me that 100%  I have to STOP?? (just sayin)... and I am someone who has much medical background and I think that the responsible choice here is to do whatever you can to lower your risks of potentially gaining another autoimmune disease by disillusioning yourself to knew research because it's not the "norm" or hasn't been "proven".. it may seem unconventional to you, but I will have you know that they are teaching continuing education to Medical Professionals on this subject all the time. It has to start somewhere... and ten years down the line when they do prove this with science (as they are coming close to doing) I really hope you wont be straying people away from the benefits of no gluten because of your opinions alone. This is something that people are becoming medically aware of and I would recommend you becoming familiar with some of this too. Try researching this topic online, get familiar with new medical journals on autoimmunities, digestive and thyroid diseases, read up on all types of opinions and experience things for yourself by experimenting with your body... and if your doctor is against this, try getting a new one. Best of luck to everyone going through this disease, I have struggled with it myself, and always keep your minds open to suggestions and new technology. We discover new things everyday!
You're more than welcome to your opinion; and I'm sorry you feel that I'm leading people astray.  That would never be my intention.  I do not have a closed mind, nor do I expect everyone to follow my suggestions, and I've never said they should.  Everyone should do what's best for them; whatever they, and their doctor, decide, based on their symptoms and lab work.

You said "Of perhaps greatest importance to thyroid patients, the researchers found that the various antibodies that indicate celiac disease - organ-specific autoantibodies (i.e., thyroid antibodies) -- will disappear after 3 to 6 months of a gluten-free diet."  Of course, antibodies that indicate celiac will disappear within 3-6 months....... celiac antibodies attack gluten (take away the gluten, the antibodies have nothing to attack), they don't attack the thyroid; that's only done by thyroid antibodies.

You also said "The researchers suggest that patients with autoimmune thyroiditis "may benefit from a screening for celiac disease so as to eliminate symptoms and limit the risk of developing other autoimmune disorders." This is important information for autoimmune thyroid disease patients (Hashimoto's Disease, Graves' Disease) , who are typically told that there is nothing that can be done to reduce antibody levels, or to improve the "autoimmune" aspect of their thyroid conditions."

First off, the researchers are merely "suggesting"; and I don't disagree.  When a person gets one autoimmune disease, it's quite common for them to eventually have one or more others; therefore, I totally agree that being screened for celiac "may benefit" them. I've never said it wouldn't.

Whenever a person suspects they may have celiac, they, should, by all means be tested for it, and if shown to have celiac, they, should, by all means go g/f.  I've never said they shouldn't. I simply tell them that I have seen no conclusive scientific evidence to prove that going g/f will lower thyroid antibody counts for EVERYONE with autoimmune thyroid disease.  

I actually KNOW people who have gone g/f and it did nothing to lower their antibody counts.  I know one person who actually got ill from going g/f when it wasn't needed.

Here's what I told SharonLeeJ:  'If you are allergic to gluten, then by all means switch to a g/f diet."  Please explain how that's going against anything you wrote or how it may be leading someone astray.

There most certainly ARE those people who absolutely need to go g/f.  I've never said that "no one" should ever do it, because that would be just as *wrong* as someone saying that EVERYONE who has autoimmune thyroid disease MUST go g/f.  

I am very well aware that there are certain books, one in particular, out there that advocate g/f for everyone with autoimmune thyroid disease.  I'm also aware that there are many doctors who are advocating a particular protocol; however, the "medical profession" being educated on this protocol are mostly chiropractors and naturopaths, who provide vitamins/minerals and other products obtainable from only one source.   As I said before, I have never seen actual scientific data to back up this protocol.

The research you sited studied only 172 patients; this is not a significant number AND it says "We believe that undiagnosed celiac disease can cause other disorders by switching on some as yet unknown immunological mechanism. Untreated celiac patients produce organ-specific autoantibodies."  I'd have to see the actual study data, but by wording it the way they did (i.e "We believe"), I'd suggest that their study was inconclusive.  Until they find the "unknown switch" and prove that celiac causes other autoimmunes, I'll have to stick to my belief, that going g/f is not for everyone.

While I am open to new ideas and treatments, I have a distinct aversion to "across the board" thinking.  There ARE many people with autoimmune thyroid disease who also have celiac and must go g/f.  There are also those who have autoimmune thyroid disease and do NOT have celiac. I also know people who have celiac and do NOT have autoimmune thyroid disease.

Every case must weighed on its own merits and what's right for you may not be right for me and visa versa.  I have never, and will never, tell someone not to go g/f if their medical condition demands it; however, neither will I ever tell someone that "just because you have autoimmune thyroid disease, you must go g/f.  

Once again, I'm not closed to new ideas or treatments; I "am" closed to "across the board" thinking.

"It is true that medical doctors are now discovering all new problems that have been arising with people who have hashi's disease and are linking it to celiac disease as well."

Please provide specific references, other than what we all know...that once you have one autoimmune, you're more likely than the general population to develop another..

"Until you have specifically tried going gluten free then you really shouldn't be so opinionated about it."

I have Hashi's and was g/f (scrupulously) for about a year (I did it for reasons other than Hashi's).   I saw absolutely no change in my antibody count, symptoms or thyroid meds intake.  While it may be possible that a g/f diet might help in some stages of Hashi's, it's certainly a long stretch to contend that all of us, in all stages of Hashi's, benefit from a g/f diet.

"According to research reported on in the medical journal Digestive Diseases and Sciences, a significant number of patients with autoimmune thyroid disease also have celiac disease."

This is just telling us what we've known for years...once you have one autoimmune disease, you are more susceptible to another.  There are more people with Hashi's that also have RA, PA. lupus, etc. also.  Is this due to a genetic predisposition, an environmental trigger or is there a causal relationship between them?  We don't know.

"Of perhaps greatest importance to thyroid patients, the researchers found that the various antibodies that indicate celiac disease - organ-specific autoantibodies (i.e., thyroid antibodies) -- will disappear after 3 to 6 months of a gluten-free diet."

Please provide specific reference, once again.

"While some recent books have reported on the impact of diet and nutrition on antibody levels, this RESEARCH demonstrates SCIENTIFICALLY how diet may in fact have a major role in autoimmune reactions."

Once again, links, please to this "scientific evidence".

Follow the money trail...this is big business, and some very savvy marketers have discovered that "a lie repeated frequently enough becomes the truth".  Obviously, the internet allows that lie to be propagated with lightening speed.  Hashi's is a can of worms for a number of reasons:  1) thyroid test reference ranges are severely flawed because many hypos were in the original "normal" population, 2) many (most?) doctors subscribe to the theory that once in range, anywhere in range, the patient is no longer hypothyroid.

No one has shown me any specific studies suggesting that celiac CAUSES Hashi's, much less that non-celiac gluten intolerance does.  Yes, more people with celiac also have Hashi's than people without, but that does not prove CAUSE.  

I think there are lots of "medical professionals" out there poised to take advantage of desperate patients.  

Most of the evidence for a g/f diet improving Hashi's is anecdotal, and even that is painfully slim.  Since you've struggled with Hashi's yourself, perhaps you'd care to post the results of your antibody tests before and after a g/f diet.  Bear in mind that antibody counts vary wildly, even intraday, so unless those antibodies are ELIMINATED, I will not be impressed.    
Why is it that you people get so defensive? Jut let people give their opinions without attacking others. There is no reason to start replying others just because you disagree, you had your chance to writte your opinion then let others writte theirs.  This is just ridiculous when people like me are trying to find information and then we just get stuck on the middle of your arguments and disagreements. Grow up people.
Sorry if you think it's "defensive" to reply to others with a differing opinion.  

We have been through this topic extensively on the thyroid forum, and my personal opinion is that a very savvy marketer is trying to take advantage of desperate patients and making big bucks in the process.  

All of this g/f diet benefitting Hashi's is in the realm of theory, not science.  I think it's important for everyone to realize that.

I'm open to the theory if there's anything behind it.  So far, not one proponent of the theory, including the theorist himself, has given me an iota of science to go on.  Yes, please, cite references...I'll read them.

You're "stuck in the middle" of our arguments because this is a controversial topic.  Would you prefer we let you think that opinion is fact?  
Here we go... see this is why I posted in the first place... obviously Im not more than welcome to my aopinion and neither was anyone else. I'm not posting to bicker... I was trying to find information on my disease, I have been going to N.M.D;s, physicians, endocrinologists, etc. I found this site looking up information, as I began reading, here are these people writing their opinions talking about what has helped them, what their doctors have suggested etc.. and I saw one main person attacking every opinon posted bc it wasnt what they believed... which is what I would expect to have done to me, but it was just extremely frustrating to read these constant "knock downs" of others opinions... I HAVE gone gluten free by the way (and I dont have celiac disease either). It helped wonderfully for me as every other patient that comes through my clinic and along with my naturopathic physician, and friends. I noticed and extreme difference in the way I felt and after 3 months of going gluten free and taking ashwagandha and selenium my antibodies have become pretty much non-existant. My RT3 levels have dropped, I have tons more energy, I have lost weight, and I feel 100%. & P.S.... I did g/f all for free, I haven't paid a dime out to anyone, so this is not marketing or politics... its medical!  and also, look to the journal of Digestive Diseases... bc everything that I put quotations around came straight from that journal, along with the National Library of Medicine, so go argue with them about science and research!
and just saying all this bc it helped me, Ive seen so many others it has helped, and if someone else were to get the information from my post and it helped them, well... thats what all this is for right??? Not everyone is going to be like the next, so good luck to the both of you, hope it all works out!
I speak from experience.  I have Hashi's, and I was g/f for almost a year, scrupulously so.  My thyroid condition has been stable and nicely controlled on meds for several years now.  It was MY experience that a g/f diet did nothing for my antibody count or my symptoms (which were non-existent when I went g/f).  BTW, I went g/f for reasons other than thyroid.  For me, g/f was not a positive experience.  It contributed to other g/i issues that I developed after being on the g/f diet for a while.

I don't think it's "bickering" to present a case that differs from your experience.  You present your "case study" and I present mine.  People reading this thread can then make more of an informed decision on whether of not they want to try
g/f.

You are obviously in the health care business, and I'm sure that due to professional courtesy, you have not paid a dime for your treatment.  For the vast majority of people, this is an expensive protocol and often not covered by insurance.

I have read the study from the Journal of Digestive Diseases and Sciences.  All that particular study determined was that once you have an autoimmune disease, you are more likely than the general population to develop a second, etc.  We've known this for years.  We'd expect more people with Hashi's to also have celiac, lupus, RA, PA, etc.  

If you have celiac, this is a no-brainer...you have to be scrupulously g/f for the rest of your life.  Let me also say, that if you feel better g/f, then I am all for it.  I only have a problem with g/f as it applies to Hashi's.  "...EVERYONE who has been diagnosed with this disease (Hashi's - my clarification)  IS sensitive whether they test positive or not."  Certainly, the JDDS study didn't even address this issue...it dealt only with people with both Hashi's and celiac.  Beyond that, the authors "felt" that a g/f diet would eliminate antibodies.  That's a pretty lukewarm endorsement.  It seems to me that in the 10+ years since that study was published that the "feeling" could have been solidified with more research.  Furthermore, the statement is obviously unture...a g/f diet did nothing to help me feel in any way better, so I am proof that "everyone" is not sensitive.

"...and just saying all this bc it helped me, Ive seen so many others it has helped, and if someone else were to get the information from my post and it helped them, well... thats what all this is for right???  As with everything else in medicine (life), there are differing opinions.  I think what "this is for" (the forum) is to help people make an informed decision, make them aware of controversies within the medical community and help them navigate the medical community to feel the very best they can.  We all arrive at that differently and a miriad of factors influence what works for each of us.  Very little applies to "everyone".        
Sorry, I've been offline the past couple days, so haven't had time to respond, again.

Goolarra has pretty well covered all the bases, regarding scientific data, etc, so there's not much point in reiterating what both she and I have already said, as well as what I've been saying throughout the entire thread.

I stand by what I've said in nearly every one of my posts on this thread -- if a person has celiac, or some other issue that necessitates a g/f diet, or simply chooses to try it, then by all means, that's what they should do.  

What you are interpreting as "knock downs", is simply pointing out that there is no "one size fits all", when it comes to treating Hashimoto's/hypothyroidism, so, as I said in my first comment to you - "I have a distinct aversion to across the board thinking".

I am not caeliac, and I have at, no expense, discovered that when losing weight with hashi's a gluten/carb free approach can be succesful, it has been for me... perhaps when putting forward your argument you should approach it a little differently.. from your photo it looks as though you may have a significant amount of weight to lose! perhaps you could back up your argument by giving this approach a try? you may find that your weight does reduce??
I don't think I have to "back up" anything - I've said all along that if going g/f works for you, go for it, but it is by no means "necessary" for "everyone" with Hashi's to go on a g/f diet, as has been asserted in some of the posts on this thread.

This thread is for the purpose of discussing whether or not going g/f is right for everyone with Hashi's, so that people reading it can see both sides of the issue; your criticism of my photo, is out of line.

I'll "put up" (again)...why do you ignore my actual experience?

I think you're missing the point here.  Of course, a g/f diet will work for some people with Hashi's who would like to lose weight.  The point is that this does NOT apply to EVERYONE with Hashi's.  As I said, I'm living proof.  My antibody count didn't change while g/f, nor did my symptoms, nor did my meds intake, nor did my weight (I wasn't trying to lose weight).  

I'm sure that you and Phannie24 are aware that there are those promoting a g/f diet and an esoteric protocol as a panacea for Hashi's.  As with everything else to do with Hashi's, the response to this is very individual.

The implication has been that a g/f diet will eliminate the need for meds and will eliminate antibodies.  While the word "cure" is never spoken, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to extrapolate that "elimination of antibodies = cure".

Once again, if it works for you, do it, by all means.  The objection I have is indicating that it's for EVERYONE with Hashi,s and that all Hashi's are gluten intolerant, whether they test so or not (how convenient).

Even in the "g/f bible" itself, the author acknowledges that some people's thyroids are already too damaged by Hashi's for his protocol to help much.  That seems to me an admission that it's NOT essential for EVERYONE with Hashi's.  

Before any weight loss program is going to work for someone with Hashi's, thyroid hormones have to be adjusted properly FOR THAT INDIVIDUAL.  This does not mean just getting labs into reference range, but actually optimizing them for the individual, which means eliminating their symptoms, one of which is INABILITY TO LOSE WEIGHT.  Once symptoms have been eliminated, any weight loss protocol that has worked for the person in the past will work again.
I don't recall mentioning eating this way as a cure?? Normally I would not write this way, but my main purpose of my post was to show you how others feel when you address them the way you do.. The problem is not in what you are saying, but in how you are saying it! You come across very conceited and a know it all..
oh and i'm sorry but i read through all the posts and don't remember you saying that you had eaten gluten free? sorry i missed it!

To those who are not so closed minded to a carb/gluten free diet.. I am absolutely amazed at how much my energy levels have increased, even though my thyroid levels are still all over the place (contrary to what others have been saying, weird??).. the odd day that i have eaten gluten/carbs i have returned to feeling as i did before ever considering this approach (so def not because i have created problems with gluten from not eating it??) I have also managed to lose weight and am now within my healthy weight range :)
I have heard from some that eating alot of eggs due to cholestorol issues relating to thyroid can be bad, but i have found my high protein approach which includes alot of eggs, has actually reduced my cholesterol??. I would urge anyone that is feeling just about ready to give up to try this aapproach (alongside your medications). I have tried eating the "traditionaly" healthy way.. but it did not work! I am no professional, but just like others have read many websites and books about this condition And I am soo greatful to have found something that works.. The only evidence other than myself and the websites/books that inform us about this approach is my support group.. 12 out of the 23 in my group tried this eating apprach, every single one of them reported positive results including increased energy levels, weight loss, less swelling of abdomen, feet , legs, improvement to hair, nails and skin ( i should mention here that we all icuded alot of fish, nuts, avacado for omega 3 fats) Yes i definately agree that ths approach is NOT for everyone.. but don't knock it til you try it!
I guess you are addressing me, since you've, seemingly, chosen to ignore goolarra's personal experience with going g/f.

I'm wondering if you really did read the entire thread.  If you had, you would have known that it really has little to do with weight loss; the majority of the posters "for" the g/f diet maintain that going g/f will lower the antibody count, which, as goolarra said, "implies" a cure for Hashimoto's, and we all know, there is none.  

I find it curious that you only joined MH within the past few days, found (and posted only on) this thread and chose to attack me right off the bat.  I'm also curious as to how you know exactly "how others feel when you address them the way you do".

I guess it doesn't matter how I feel when YOU address ME this way.

I am happy to know that you don't normally write this way.  

I'd like to remind you that personal attacks/name calling are not allowed in any MedHelp forum or group, and you have done that, so maybe you'd like to take this off the open forum and send me a PM to let me know how you think I should present my argument in a more acceptable (to you) manner.

Oh.........I just noticed that you posted while I was typing.... you say you have read the entire thread........ but again, I have to wonder if you did, for the same reason I stated above.  I also have to wonder if your "support group" sent you to this thread for the purpose of attacking me.

To answer your question, no, I haven't gone g/f, because I do try to follow doctor instructions and when I mentioned g/f, my doctor specifically instructed me NOT to........ whole grains are an important part of a healthy diet and if there's no allergic reaction to gluten there's no point in g/f....

I can't help wonder if the reason some of the participants in your support group reported positive results, including yourself, had more to do with adding the fish, nuts, Omega 3, which all help alleviate symptoms, than eliminating gluten...... you might be surprised to know that I eat the same things....... oh, btw -- eggs are a personal favorite...... they provide protein that keeps me going longer, plus they provide calcium and vitamin B12, which is always welcome to me, since I have both osteopenia and pernicious anemia and always hope to absorb "something".

I'm sure you're also aware that "not all carbs are created equal", so advocating "limited carbs" is not always the best thing to do, because veggies and whole grains are chock full of *complex* (good) carbs that take longer for the body to break down and actually help with weight loss.......

yes that is why  i mentioned the omegas, as they are great for hair, skin, etc and that was our other goal! and im sorry that i did not make myself clear but i DO eat vegies, but only have carrot and peas 1-2 times a week. And i also eat nuts and grains, just not in bread! The othe half of my group did NOT change their eating habbits and they had no changes! And no i am not aware if anyone in the support group is on this website.. i discovered it by googling thyroid diets as i wanted to see if there was any other ways i can improve my wellbeing. Everyone who has asked about eliminating carbs you have said the same thing to.. perhaps you could give those a chance to say how it HAS worked to those asking, rather than give the same info over and over... your doctor may have said ths, but, there are many endo's out there who recommentd otherwise.. i understand that as people get older they become more closed to change, but if we did this then we would never have discovered the advances in medicine that we see today! Having an underactive thyroid, or in my case a non working thyroid is difficult, i think we should be encouraging others to try new thngs, so as to discover ways we can improve our health.. and yes is was the first forum i came to as i googled 'losing weight with hashimotos' and it brought me directly to this page... i came here for help and a  found your posts quite offensive and closed minded.. i was looking for  positivty and encouragement not someone telling people that if they dont need to they shouldnt try something! I would have thought anyone with hashimotos and  the awful side affects due to it causing an underactive thyroid, would be wanting to give ANYTHING a go (wthin boundaries of course).. If anyone out there is still interested in trying to lose weight the way i have id love to help.. If anyone out there is eaing a different way and its working in there favour, i'd love to hear about it.
and from previous posts i am obviously not the only person offended by your posts
sorry i made a mistake in my post where i sad i eat grains.. i do not eat grains bt replce them with other good sources of fibre and protein
Perhaps you would have gotten a better response if you'd have started a new thread, stating your case and asking for ideas, rather than latching onto this old one and attacking me in the manner you have.  

I've sent you a PM, and will no longer respond to your comments on this thread.

Good luck
i dont believe i asked you to respond???
It is true that most people with Hoshimoto's also have a gluten sensitivity. My doctors put me on a gluten free diet to help manage the symptoms of my hoshimotos and it has helped so much. Before going gluten free I ate pretty well, excersised and average of 40 minutes 6 days a week, and continued to gain weight. I went gluten free 2 months ago and have changed nothing else. I am already off of my antidepressant I had been taking since age 19 (I'm 32 now) and down 12lbs. I have not been placed on any medication for my hoshimotos yet because although I have goiter, nodules, and many other symptoms my tsh indicates I am not technically hypothyroid yet. I hope that my experience helps anyone who was considering going gluten free for hoshis. I have not given up dairy and eat lots of cheese :)
I should also add that my doctor was very honest with me in telling me that around 80% of hoshi's patients have the sensitivity so going gf will not help 100% of hoshi's patients. The other apprx 20% of people it will do nothing for. Anyone considering it to help manage their hoshi's or weight loss goals should really discuss it with their doctors. An unwarranted dramatic diet like this could potentially be damaging to someone who doesn't need it.
Hi.
I have been diagnosed with Hashimotos over 10 years ago. My doctor is able to keep my antibodies low with the correct dosis of hormones. I have it adjusted many times, and I have a complete blood test every 6 months.
I had success loosing weight with a g/f diet and also with the tarditional calorie counting method. G/F is pretty hard to start, but it is ok after you get used to it. I'm going to go back to it now after the Holidays.
Exercising is essential for any diet to be successful, especially for us with Hashimoto.The only difference between us and the non-hashimoto people is that they can afford not to watch what they eat. I lost myself during this year (a hard one for me), and gained 20 lbs. I know that is going to be harder to loose it them it was to gain it, but diet + cardio exercise for at least 45 min 5 times per week + weight training work.
There's no magic: be active, eat healthy, and have your meds. Stick to the plan for at least a month and you will start to see results that will keep you going for another month, and so on.... once you reach your ideal weight, you will not loose more.
So, wish me luck (and perseverance) on my 20 lbs goal.
Happy New Year!

Why not sign up for the new Weight Loss Challenge?....... starts tomorrow.  We help and support each other.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Weight-Loss--Dieting/NEW-YEAR-NEW-CHALLENGE/show/1654765
I like to read what I can eat! Is there anybody with an example of a diet?
This is such an old thread, it's unlikely that any of the previous posters will respond.  If you're looking for a gluten free diet, you can try googling it; there are all types of diets/books, etc available.
I don't think this is correct. Digeorge syndrome is a chromosomal defect causing partial or entire deletion of the 22nd chromosome. It may be a lot of people with Digeorge have Hashimotos but not vice versa. . My step sister and nephew both have Digeorge syndrome and its array of medical problems that come with it- heart defect, soft palate issues, mental illness, autism, etc.
Hi I too have Hashi's with hypo.  I just lost 109lbs last year.
Drop the Gluten completely.  Stop eating any processed foods.  Drop the hidden sugars (peanut butter is also an allergen).  Drop corn from your diet.  The lbs will fall off.  Make veggies a priority.
I am 15 and I have a none working thyroid but because of my age i am not able to get medication... Any suggestions ?
Why can't you get medication for your thyroid condition?  Are you seeing a doctor?  Don't your parents see to it that you have proper medications?  

What thyroid condition do you have?
A good nights sleep is one of the MOST important things to get when trying to loose weight on any diet and especially if you have Hoshimoto's or Hypothyroidism.  It IS an Autoimmune disease above all else.  In this it is the cause of the two diseases above.  The problem is that they do not know how to STOP the body from attacking itself because they have yet to isolate the reason the body truns against its good cells.  Much like HIV/AIDS, and Cancer.   So the Thyroid meds we take simply replace the hormones that are in less quantity or rendered ineffective due to the attack.

I have had Hoshimoto's over 20 years.  I get tested every 3 months (better time frame to correct levels if difficult to control) because the levels for me are so hard to maintain despite my extreme dietary monitoring (exercise is always the best to keep everything in balance,  and if depressed exercise 20 min. and you can literally change your mood from the added endorphins).

It sounds Barb, as if you are in the defense mode all the time and that you are not willing to look at your own issues.  Instead you defend your opinion as if it is the only one on the thread(s) that is "Correct" and if we do not accept your opinion we are wrong or re-directed to a web page that should support you and your opinion.  You sound generally very unhappy, and I suggest the you figure out what in your own daily regement is incorrect in its balance, OR you know just enough to be dangerous to others, as the saying goes.  Either way its all worth investigating and I encourage everyone to do their own due dilligence. Be honest with yourself on eating habits and with the Docs or you will not have the result you seek.

There is actual medical data that suggests that one of the issues in regards to the inability to lose weight with Hoshimoto's is something no one here seems to understand.  The issue being that there is an actual chemical change in the brain once the thyroid goes inactive that makes one crave carbs, so hense the push for the freshe veggies, etc.  And the cooking of some of the veggies is so that the sugars are broken down prior to consumption so that we do NOT store them instead of  breaking them down ourselves.  

The Endo. doc I have seen has stated I can eat a twig or a turkey, if you have Hoshimoto's the main result for most is that your body sees a steak and a piece of cake as sugar, and no one has spoken much about being Pre-metobolic (which is also a side effect along with somewhat elevated cholesterol levels which should also be monitored since it can create high blood pressure.  I say can because my cholesterol is over 300 but blood pressure is 90/60), and the seriousness of taking thyroid meds at the same exact time each day (its a fickle med) and to make sure that the foods that inhibit absorbtion need to be eaten/taken as the doc prescribes away from the time meds are taken.  If you do not follow such directions the meds are rendered useless, as is your money to purchase them.

To the person that started on the meds for hypothyroidism and now cannot stop losing the weight, please follow up and make sure nodules or thyroid gland itself has not turned and become cancerous...ultrasounds and biopsies can be performed.  Hint: needle to numb neck to take the biopsy is bigger than the one to actually perform the biopsy, so only get stuck once and be tough! The fear of having it done is worse than the actual proceedure if you are needle squeemish (not sure on that spelling for those checking/correcting, lol :-)

Again I say Barb, you don't sound like you want to try anything new or you believe ONLY what your doc tells YOU and you sound like you are trying to convince others that their suggestions are a waste of time or incorrect because YOU did not suggest them (each body is different as you have said and just because your doc says there is no need to go gluten free doesnt mean for YOU he is correct!  They don't call it "PRACTICING MEDICINE" for grins and giggles!), or you are in serious denial that the medical world will come up with an effective solution for dealing with such a volital disease.  Yes it IS an auto immune disease but so is HIV/AIDS and they are getting a good handl on that with great proven results!  It will take time to find a better way to control our Thyroid Hormone levels and it WILL come, so in the mean time lets control our temper levels.  If you are so defensive and angry I suggest to Barb, move your level check appointments to  every 3 months you may have something off.(good idea if you suspect hypothyroidism/Hoshimoto's too)

As a side note:Check your drug interactions. Many have binding ingredients(wheat/soy etc.) that may prohibit the absorbtion of the thyroid meds. (PIG thyroid replacement is NOT a good choice if you have stubborn levels that won't stay consistent,  per the Endochrine Doc)  also,  I was taking replacemtent hormones (for a hysterectomy done some14 years ago) and both docs said they shoud not interfere with one another, yet I could not sleep, was on an oxygen concentrator, gained weight again, had night sweats (those came back after menopause 7 yrs ago), heart palpatations and was extremely moody.  I got off the Estrogen hormone replacement, lost the sweats, palpatations etc and dropped 10 lbs in a month.  

I wish you all promising success on diagnosis, treatment, and weight loss if that is your goal.  Try to stay focused on a healthy lifestyle from within and not so much the picture in the mirror so much, inside is what counts as to who you really are.  Best Regards   Mara
I will say what I've said throughout this entire thread............. We are all different, and what's right for one is not necessarily right for EVERYONE.

The only thing I am against, is "across the board" declarations about any one treatment.  If you read the entire thread, you know that's been my argument throughout throughout the whole thing.  

Iodine is a hot supplement these days. Many people and practitioners have come to value iodine's therapeutic potential, especially for breast and uterin fibroids. Iodine is also vital to thyroid function, as it is a major cofactor (like you said) and stimulator for the enzyme TPO. However for the person with Hashimoto's its like throwing gasoline onto a fire. Here is why. As indicated before iodine is a stimulator for TPO, this in turn increases the levels of TPO antibodies dramatically. Hashimoto's most commonly accures when the immune system attacks TPO. This of course is undesireable since TPO is the enzyme in the thyroid responcible for thyroid hormone production. So it is advised that people with Hashimoto's avoid iodine suppliments.  Furthermore, studies show that when iodine supplimentation is used to correct iodine deficiency in countries such as China, Turkey and Sri Lanka, the rates of autoimmune thyroid disease increase. Iodine supplementation isn't causing Hashimoto's per se, but it does seem to be a triggering factor.  We also have to remember that Hashimoto's isn't a disease that stems from the thyroid. It is an autoimmune disease IN the body to which one of its symptoms are the attacks of the enzymes and tissue of the thyroid. Hyper/hypothyroidism is a disorder that stems from the thyroid.  In addition to a gluten-free diet, and supporting over all health, avoiding iodine supplements is another strategy for preserving thyroid tissue.
Has it worked?
Changed your prescription to Amour Thyroid. after 6 long years on lyvoxyl at 225 and no results at all, because i kept feeling all the same symptoms still you know: fatigue, sleepy, tired, brittle hair, always cold, and gain a pound every time a breathe in. in 3 months  with Amour Thyroid i feel human again, i haven't changed my diet (i  stay away from sugar, carbs, drink lots of water, and consume loads and loads of fiber) these are all the things i used to do while taking levoxyl as well but never helped. with Armour i haven't changed my diet, i don't exercise (i have no time I work full time and go to school full-time) i've lost 10 lbs but the crazy thing its that i look like i lost 20lbs but on the scale it says 10lbs only. i don't look bloated anymore. give it a try. you doctor might give you a lot of crap, but i think it's because it's cheap and they probably don't make any money by prescribing a natural medication for this disease. they think it's funny keeping us all sick. i use to pay $10 for levoxyl (with insurance of course) now i pay $2 for Amrour and i would pay anything because that medication really works.
Thanks to all of you for the wonderful and valuable information you are sharing.  Each of us seems to have similarities and differences in how Hashimotos and or other thyroid issues are affecting us.  
I was diagnosed 3 years ago with Hashimotos but only started on Levothyroxine a few months back.  Looking back in time I beleive I've had thyroid issues for most of my adult life.  I am now 47....wish i had known so much more a lot sooner.  
I wanted to comment on the celiacs and other food issues....I don't have celiacs, but thought I did years ago....tests came back negative at that time.  But...low and behold, I went in this past Fall for a series of allergy tests (thinking I was allergic to cherries) and found I tested positive for allergies to corn..rice...oats....pork, chicken, beef and turkey!!!  Yikes!  
I have differing views from the doctors on living with this new found info.  But in my own battle to delete items it has been tough.  Corn is found in most everything that is packaged.  Convenience isn't a word I can live by anymore.  If I do eat corn, I get severely tired and feel awful....(must be the attack it causes on the thyroid) (read that back in a thread somewhere).
I seem to tollerate beef, chicken and turkey in small amounts from time to time.....(someone joked that the allergy is because they are "cornfed".  )  funny.    Rice causes instant swelling in my throat, oats give me severe stomach pain and diahrea...corn seems to be the tiredness and bloating and heart palpitations.  Oats cause that too.    Pork gives me severe heartburn within minutes of eating it.  So as much as I love bacon, I know the price is too painful to pay.  I just enjoy the smell.  (sux).  :(  Not that I wrote to complain, but I wonder if all these food issues go back to the thyroid and to the autoimmune disorder I have.  
Oh, and I'm not allergic to wheat and other grains....which is a blessing, though the only bread products I've found with no oats or corn by products in them are in the organic section and are Ezekial breads.  Love them!  
Good luck to all out there.  You are not alone in your struggles.  Keep up the faith and fight.  Enjoy life  :)
oo I

I too have Hashi's and gave up gluten last year hoping to feel better. And I did. I lost the stubborn 7 pounds I had gained and my energy came back. I gave up fruit, glutten, sugars, dairy. I pretty much ate eggs, lean protein, pure oatmeal, brown rice and veggies.
Then, 7 months later,,, the weight started to creep back on. I have been suffering from bloating and swelling again, and when they checked my numbers my antibodies doubled. Went from 1000 to 2050. Very high. I still eat clean, work out  reg., but cannot lost a pound!! Any suggestions??
My TSH is 1.5 ( a little high and my T3/T4 is a little high too.. my doc just added T3 med to my Armour.)  Just started a few weeks ago, so hoping metabolism will kick in again.
Excellent Advice - Thank you -I am going to try it too.
I have had Hashimotos for over 20 years, I have tried many diets over the years,last year I bought Chris Powells book followed his diet and lost 30# in 2 months. It's easy to follow, he does not have the disease but explains alot about food and health. I love food and love to eat and this is the only diet I have ever done where the weight has stayed off.
I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto in August, 2008 and with Graves soon after. I also have a small nodule: it is small but painful. As my endocrinologist predicted, my TSH has leveled out now due to the nature of both conditions: one brings it constantly up, one keeps it low for the most part. Yet the symptoms of both hypo and hyper have intensified to the point of gluing me to bed for the most time. On top of that, Hashimoto brought on psychosis which I treat with Rx and most severe migraines that I barely overcome--its like going to hell for several hours with death lingering in the air... Having said that, I have gained 10 unwanted pounds. I fight just to stay in one weight and it is very disturbing. Reading comments of all of you people (well, most of the comments, the thread is fairy long...) I consider you heroes for pulling such diets. I cannot live without carbs, I tried Atkinson and it feels like I am on the verge of death. I counted calories, which was successful for three month, loosing over 20 lbs but then got them all back up and barely try to stop the weight gain at this point. Plus as I counted calories, my body was constantly cold and shaky, I lived from one meal to the next, dreaming to eat again as soon as finished consuming one meal... Oyster mushrooms seemed to calm my thyroid a little, craved them all the time. My struggle to loose weight is unsuccessful. I am hungry for the most part of the day many days--I feel thyroid going crazy as I feel hunger...And if I don't eat something with wheat or sugar, the hunger just eats me alive! Sometimes some yogurt stops hunger--all the opposite from what seemed to help a lot of people on this thread. I am 5'7" which helps me look fairly good but I know I need to loose at least 10 lbs. If anyone thinks up of a solution for me, I would really appreciate it. Alexandra
As you said, this is a very old, long thread.  If you go to the top of the page and click the orange "Post a Question" button, we can all deal with your personal concerns.  I suggest you do that in the Thyroid Disorders Community.

Mushrooms contain two things that might give you a clue as to what's going on:  selenium and vitamin D.  Perhaps you are deficient in one or both of those and thus the cravings?

Please post a new thread and tell us your latest labs and what meds you're on.  Be sure to include reference ranges from your own lab report.
I know everyone has their own opinions and this may not be for everyone, but this has been my experience. No help for weight loss. Tired a frustrated I allowed a friend of mine to talk me Into trying the paleo diet. In 2 weeks. No exercise and a few cheats I have lost 4 lbs. I know that not a lot but for us with hashimotos it's a great accomplishment! And I will journey on. The other benefits I have noticed is swelling in my hands and face are considerably better and it seems as if my goiter has already shrunk. Research the diet and see if it may be for u! I am very pleased with the results
Thanks for commenting on this.  I am going to look into this.
One thing Im wondering is why a combo therapy of natural and synthetic
thyroid hormone is not suggested more by doctors. Is this because it would
be hard to juggle the two different meds and dosages? Or could there be side effects and drug interactions?  Anyway, one thing Im having a problem with is my cholesterol spiking with this condition. Then Im fighting doctors who want to prescribe statins to counter this which Im mostly against due to side effects and just the idea of being on .....another drug you will have to take the rest of your life? Its also a challenge to generate energy consistently throughout the day, Ive tried pills, potions, and exotic notions everything it seems to jump start my body, though I find yes, if I eat a solid breakfast it is the way to go.
You've attached your comments to a very old and long thread; many of the previous posters are no longer active in the community.

There are some doctors who will prescribe both a desiccated hormone and synthetic.  This is, typically, done when one is on a desiccated hormone and Free T4 remains low.   There usually aren't any side effects of combining the 2 meds.  

I think the biggest problem with this approach is that too many doctors are not open to prescribing desiccated hormones to begin with.  Too many of them are still with the old idea that Synthroid is the medication of choice for hypothyroidism.  

I, too, am having a problem with my cholesterol and triglyceride levels, and like you, I'm resisting the use of statins for the same reasons, plus studies have shown that they don't reduce the risk of heart attack.  

My doctor has recommended a rather large dose of fish oil, every day and I am finding that it helps, as my levels have come down somewhat.  I also find that my cholesterol levels often coincide with the amount of exercise I get.  

As far as the energy issue, have you had vitamin B12 and vitamin D levels tested?  Those are often culprits when thyroid levels are good, but you still have some lingering symptoms.

You can find a lot of information on the Thyroid Community, which can be accessed via the following link:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Thyroid-Disorders/show/73

Feel free to post your questions there.  You'll be asked to post your current thyroid hormone levels, along with reference ranges from your lab report.  You'll also be asked what medication/dosage you're on and how long you've been on it.  We find many people whose hormone levels are "in range", but not adequate to alleviate symptoms.
Conventional, mainstream doctors do not have a clue about this kind of disease, it's always more and more pills, the labs pay them to say that... Only alternative treatments may help in the long run.
I think there are a lot of conventional, mainstream doctors who are very knowledgeable about Hashimoto's.  

I agree that pharma, not labs, pay doctors to prescribe their meds.  I happen to have a conventional, mainstream doctor who does not push the statin drugs for cholesterol and/or drugs for other conditions.  He prefers to normalize things with diet and exercise, whenever possible.  

Hope you will be doing good.

Wanted to check about Thyroid Assist product. I am suffering from Hypothyroidism from 20 years. I am on synthyroid  from last 3 years. My dosage is pretty high. Its 225 Mg regularly.

Now I am looking for something natural. Read about Native Remedies Thyroid Assist product. It looks fine but still I am little skeptical.

It would be great if you can share your view about that.

Thank You!