Topamax and weight loss
I have digenerative disc disease and my neirologist just prescribed topamax,
he said it would help with the pain and tingling but could result in weight loss.
  I am wondering if prescribing topamax for ddd is common among neurologists? I can't seem to find any other information related to topamax as a pain med, only information I have is that it's a powerful drug with lots of side effects, most not so good.
The weight loss aspect is the only plus...also could this drug alter my brain function since I know it is used for bi-polar and seizure disorder... I'd like to know more about this med both from a neurologists view and from a weight loss specialists view. before I make a decision to take this medication
Thanks in advance for any/all responses
take biotin replacement fromthe healthnfood store to stop hair loss
take biotin supplements and b12 good vitamins good protien and low sugar good luck
how long did it take you to lose all that weight?
Everything u said I have also experinced. After taking the Topamax the first night I couldn't even drink any soda the next day since I took it right before bed or i am sure I would have not drink any that night a few hours later. I have also lost 53 pounds but I didn't realize it was because of topamax, so that is why I am on here I decided to do a little research. But it has helped with my migraines, but my doctor put me on it for mood swings and depression. I take 400 mg a day now and that is as of june 5th 2012 and just 2 days ago I recently lost 4 pounds in 2 days but I have noticed my hair seems to be just falling out and I'm not talking while I am brushing it either. I am only 30 years old and I am gonna be bald before i know it but thats something I will have to bring up to my doctor next month to see if maybe its the medicine because she also has me on wellbutrin as well.
I was on topamax last year they had me at 100mg. x 4 a day... my hair started falling out with in the month i lost most of my hair..i had long dark hair.then i was bald..had to wear wigs for 6 months until hair grew back..
I had the hair loss as well, and I'm a STYLIST so I was freaking. I noticed it first in the front/bang area. I have since gottn off of it because I am starting a family and started using Redken's Intra Force or fine and thinning hair ( my hair is NOT fine but I did lose a large amount)  it has helped so much and mixed with prenatal vitamins it is growing in thick and healthy! Hope this helps!!!
I too have fibro and have managed 10 minutes of beginning pilates and thats it.  The other meds I am on have put so much weight on me.  I have never weighed this much which makes for worse depression.  I just started topamax today.  It has made me very groggy.  I have slept most of the day. I pray for weight loss. I am also taking it as a mood stabilizer.  The extra weight makes the pain worse and makes my acid reflux worse too.  I feel ike such a whiner sometimes.
It is absolutely not true you will always have hair loss. I list half of my head of hair for the first 18 months of taking Topomax. But its grown back now ad I came off of it and went back on and it didn't happen a 2nd time.
I notice the same soda phenomenon!
Did you ever get an answer to your post about the generic? I am just getting started on it tonight. How did you do? I am thinking of adding Biotin tomorrow for the hair loss comments, just in case. Kind of a scary drug to get started on!
Yes. I work as a CPhT and I can tell you that these are the same thing. No worries. You and your insurance company are just saving money on the drug.
Sorry didn't see this reply. As I just posted. The generic is the same thing. No worries.
I just started Topamax yesterday. I am doing the 25mg x7d then 50mg x7d etc til I'm at 100mg. I'm on it for migraine prevention. I am on a high dose of Wellbutrin and I also have fibromyalgia so I get severe headaches/migraines at least 3-4 days a week. It just has become so hard to deal with at this point. So I was put on the Topamax with Relpax as a PRN. Took a Relpax yesterday when I started the Topamax and headache was gone within half an hour. I was on Imitrex but it stopped working. And I needed more than a PRN. I can't be on anything with caffeine (ie Fioricet) because that makes the headaches worse.

Also, in case any ladies didn't know, if you are on Topamax and birth control USE A BACK UP. Your healthcare provider or pharmacist should have brought this to your attention but in case they didn't I am now.

I am worried about the hair loss because I already have a problem with hair loss but we will see. Also, I've noticed I have severe diarrhea already. My appetite hasn't decreased but since my first dose anything I eat goes right through me. Which could be a problem because I have been warned if I lose much more weight while trying out the Topamax I will immediately be switched to a different medication to try.
Has anyone had such an instant side effect with their digestive system?
I was on tomax before and back on it again and i was down to 119 when i was on the medicine before i have been off the medicine since oct 11 and back up to 137 but i am not on it for the weight loss i am on it fo the pevention of migirianes which have been debelatating. and i have only been back on it for a day and already got the tingling in my hands and feet and didnt want to getup this morning cause so tired tired..
I'm 46 and I have migraines I have been prescribed propranolol they upped me to 80 mg twice a day been on this for about four years due to a herniated disc in my neck and a was given a bottle of Topamax 50 mg didn't know if that was safe to take I've been wanting to try it and also for weight loss but I still get recurrent migraines that put me down for about 5 to 6 days so I would really like to try this but not sure if it's worth the risk or if I can take it with Proponalol and estradiol which is hormone replacement
I have been on Topamax for a while at 100 mg for migraines which  works well, also on Lyrica for nerve and back pain, and have gained weight. I am 6'4" and 340lbs. Doctor tells me it is because of the Lyrica and is going to raise the Topamax up to 400mg 25 a week and get me off the Lyrica . I am also on Wellbutran  to keep me calm and cool and out of jail LOL.
So my question is 400mg to much? has anyone been on that much before?
Hello I have been on Topamax since June 2010 worked up to 100mg (50mg 2X day) for me I have have had horrible stomach problems including stomach pains and diarrhea and many other side effects however not dealing with the migraines has been a god send. I have had no proof yet any of my stomach issues are related to the Topamax. My dr's think it may be IBS or some type of IBD. Hope this helps just be aware.
i take 25mg per day
i think its about a month or more
and im feeling more control of my hunger
and prolly lost few pounds, but not that significantly
i wonder what would happen if i increase the doses
prolly lose more weight and faster
i just wanted to feel more energetic
i felt like it helped me in a way
like i was able to search for work and train in a store, which i dont think i could have done without it...
but im scared that I get slow at speaking and with short memory if i increase the dose...but im curious to know what would it feels like
im also been able to go out "sober"
i dont drink when i go out, and, well, i dont have as much fun
but in the past , i would not even see that as option
you are on a very low dose, which means your migraines are not that severe or your Dr. is working your dosage up to a tolerable level. I have been on Topamax for years now, and I currently take up to 400mg per day. I am a chronic severe case. In the beginning I could not keep weight on, but It was not unil I got up to about 100 mg per that that I was actually losing weight. I am not a really big person as it is, but the Topamax at this point for me basically maintains more that helps me lose at this point.
I have been on Topamax for two months now 100mg. I am on it for three reasons (grand-mal, partial tonic-clonic seizures, and migraines). I am having several symptoms.  I have the dizziness, the tingling, the loss of appetite (losing about 20lbs a month). I take Vitamin B12 and Pantothenic Acid to stop the tingling (both over the counter) but I was born with seizures and if at almost twenty-five this is the first seizure medicine that I am not allergic to I will gladly take the side side affects over the seizures. Hope that tip helped.
I have all of those symptoms. I'm on 400mg a day. It actually has me scared ,I have kids and I am so afraid that I am going to lose one of them (misplace them lol). When I send texts messages to my friends they don't understand anything I am saying. No one ever understands me. If you are taking this medication for anything other than epilepsy or migraines then stop taking it. Do not take it for weight loss your sanity is worth more than losing weight I promise the 10 pounds I lost in the last 6 months I would take back for my sanity in a heartbeat and I was looking at other stories and years after they stopped taking the drug ppl were still having memory problems. Please research this further before your memory gets worse.
yes major hair loss on 50 mg twice a day lost 30 lbs and tingling and some loss of sensation in my fingers
I'm on topamax 25 2 daily and for the first time my blood work came back with a 7.7 gyco   Dr. says I'm a diabetic. Possibility from topamax? thank you
hi was just wondering what you ment by "trails" are you still on topamax how are you gettin on with it? ive been on it not for nearly 7 weeks on week 2 of 100mg worried about some of the side effects.... thanks
hi ive been on topamx now for nearly 6 weeks only been on 100mg for 6 days i was wondering if the adjatation got any better for you its driving me crazy along with the other side effects
My doc put me on Topiramate 50mg once daily.  He did not specify morning or night.  He prescribed it because I was having severe headaches & he thought the side effect of losing weight was good for me because I do need to lose a bit.  No other comments from him - not even if I should take in AM or PM.  So, I took before bed & laid awake all night paranoid.  I stayed on it for 2 weeks continuing to have headaches.  Lost no weight, just sleep. He put me on Lyrica with the same results. This "professional" diagnosed me with Fiibromyalgia, epilepsy & anxiety so he could use the proper code for the insurance company to justify the drug.  I waited 2 years for a job with the TSA and when finally called I was rejected because of this inaccurate diagnosis.  

Since then I have changed docs & it seems my headaches are from a nerve issue in my neck from a previous injury. Fiorinal has worked OK but my doc doesn't want me on these pain meds forever.  So, he is recommending Topiramate.  This time I smartened up and came online to get info - that's how I found your board.  This time I am starting 25mg 2x day & crossing my fingers.
I was first prescribed Topamax several weeks ago, but I've never been prescribed to a daily medication so I was scared and didn't start it until a week ago! I get 1-2 migraines per week most likely due to my scoliosis/spinal fusion and Imitrex just wasn't working anymore after 4 years of being on it. I'm also about 25 lbs. overweight so I was pretty excited to hear about the weight loss side effect! I'm doing 50mg/day for 2 weeks, then going up to 100mg/day. The first 6 days I didn't notice a difference except the pins and needles in my legs and feet, but I thought that was from my back, then I was like duh dummy, check the side effects!! So yeah, hopefully that will go away soon. And over the past two days my appetite has dropped. Other than that, I've felt kind of a positive mood too, not something natural. Maybe you guys know what I mean? It's nice at least! Here's hoping to stop having migraines and lose 20 lb. doing it!
I have been on Topamax on and off since Feb of 2011 I really have mixed feelings about it.

Pros:
Weight Loss: I started at 305 lbs, I am now at 240 and still dropping.
Headaches: Without it, I have almost constant head pain, on then, I am able to control the pain, even able to go some days without taking a narcotic.

Cons:
Memory issues: I have memory loops, sometimes I speak or even type like a broken record, so I have to read what I write before I press send because I have even typed things 2, even 4 times (like the same 4 exact words right in a row over and over again) and I do it when speaking too. So I have to be careful that my train stays on track because it derails VERY easily.
Taste:  Sada tastes like someone vomited in it, right from the first pill and gets worse with each dose until by the second week, I can no longer stand it, I can't drink soda anymore. And GOD FORBID I grab the wrong cup (someone else's by mistake and grab a big swig of if, YUCK!!!)
Tingling: Hands, feet, face, especially my nose and lips.
Lightheadedness: this is the best I can do to describe it, though this is not exactly accurate. It is more like I am on a roller coaster at any one point in time and no one told me.

I go on and off of my Topamax as I can handle it, but my GP is aware of this fact, however. I LOVE my Mountain Dew, HOWEVER, I hate the headaches as equally as much as I love my Mountain Dew. If I could find a drug that I could drink my Mountain Dew on, yet be headache free on, I could compromise on the weight lose. Really I could, since that is just a happy bonus for me. When I am off of it for the 4-6 weeks that I take a Vaca from it, I still lose weight, just not as quickly. I think my body has adjusted to the new eating habits by now, since I was never really a big sweets fan to begin with.

By my big issue with the Topamax is not just with soda, it is ANYTHING carbonated. It does NOT taste flat, as some have stated, it tasted like someone vomitted in it. It is like taking a drink of soda after you have thrown up and you still have some vomit or stomach acid in your mouth. Like you are trying to wash that taste out, but that taste never goes away. Hubby even got a soda stream machine, thinking if he added carbonation using CO2 that it would work and I could drink THAT kind of soda. NOPE!!! Even that tastes off.

So, if anyone can think of a cure for this, I would be happy:(
Imitrex is not a preventive and you have to take it within 15 min of headache beginning, which sometimes is hard because you are not sure if it just a headache or a migraine. That being said I cannot take it anymore because it caused a migraine metamorphosis stroke, when I could take it it did wonders when I could take it on time,now I have to try and prevent them and topamax does not work for me, after ALOT of trial and error with my dr we finally found a combo that works for me the key is to narrow down what brings them on which for me is 1.stress and nerves followed by 2. different smells so my combo won't necessarily work for the next person, also with the way everybody has come down on dr.'s for certain meds it is hard to get one with an open mind. Which is because so many people abuse meds these days which makes it very hard and unfair for those of us who needs it
I've lost 129 lbs. If you drink cokes, I'm a Texan so cokes means EVERY soda there is. I weighed 300lbs. I was drinking a 3 liter Coca Cola a day. I was not on Adderall yet. I sold my car, started eating nutritious food and walked or rode the bus. I still do. Now I have a bike. I've been on Adderall for 5 years. In 2011 I was down from 300 to 155 until a LAME *** DOCTOR put me on Lyrica. I gained 40lbs in a month. I've still not lost that. Last January I had gotten back up to 198. I am now at (or was on the 13th of last month) 171. I just saw an article in Health magazine about Topamax and phentermine. But since I'm on the Add I landed here @ this forum from Google. I've got Topamax and will start it today after reading all of these great posts. Wish me luck! My next dr. appt is on the 13th - next week. I'll let you know what the scale says.
Now about drinking the sodas: The minute I quit drinking them I dropped 30 lbs. And for ya'll that drink diet cokes - STOP NOW - studies have shown that people who drink diet weigh more than people who drink regular ones. The brain cannot tell sugar from artificial sweeteners. STOP PUTTING THOSE AWFUL CHEMICALS IN YOUR BODIES! I have one every now and then and I feel bloated and a FART ALOT.
I'll see ya next week with the 'Results Of The Scale'. Sounds like a soap opera doesn't it?  

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice,

I'm in the UK where apparently not a lot is known about topamax so my gp is pretty much tied and just going with what the neurologist says. I started with daily headaches about 7 and a half months ago.

Been on the topamax 3-4 weeks now and seem to be having all the nasty side effects with none of the benefits.  Have the tingling in my hands and feet.  My face tingles, especially my lips and feels really sensitive, even my hair when it blows in the wind feels sore, I've reduced the dose slightly and that does seem to have to have helped.  Think we went up the meds too quickly and was just too much for my body to handle.  Had THE worst stomach pain I've ever had on Monday night, thought I was going to end up in hospital, I've never had a baby but could imagine it was worse than labour, thanfully it passed within about 20 minutes and touch wood I havent had it since then. All of this I could probably deal with if it was helping with the headaches but it's not, if anything I feel they're worse. I feel like I'm wearing a helmet thats 3 sizes too small for my head and is crushing my skull, a real pressure headache. It's not always that bad, usually on a night, from 5pm onwards but the last week it's never really gone away. I'm not convinced it's cluster migraines but have told we have to give the topamax 6-8 weeks before we can try something else.

So, my question really is when you all started on the topamax was the relief immediate or did it take months to have an effect?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Becky
To Anyone,

I just started the drug today, 50 mg but after reading all these posts, I decided I can't take the risk of the eye or memory side effects. I was prescribed it for the horrible migraines I've had since I was 17, I'm now 51, can't risk the memory issues. I hope just taking 2 pills and stopping cold won't matter, it shouldn't right?
this is for all of you. i had to have surgery and was in a hurry for it in such a hurry i drove my counselor nuts she finally helped me out by putting me on topamax.  i did as she said starting at 25 mg the first week then 50 the second week then 75 the third week and finally 100 mg the fourth week. three months later i was in surgery with a weight loss of 90 pounds, my surgery was a breast reduction. Oh boy after surgery i was struttin, and feeling great . weight loss was my only side affect. quess i got lucky after reading about wht all of you went through. nows 7 years has gone by and im going on topamax again. i gained a littleof it back but not a whole lot maybe 25 pounds is all. good luck toall of you and enjoy the weigjht loss.
The tingling in my fingertips for Topamax. I told my doctor didn't answer back.
Hi try mixing one part Castor oil and one part organic coconut oil and just top it off with avocado oil . here is a link and its used for growing eyelashes  and eyebrows so I'm thinking it'll work for the hair and it won't hurt actuallyhttp://www.************/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_WM9QcX5DP0%26fb_action_ids%3D10205284444224926%26fb_action_types%3Dog.shares%26fb_source%3Dother_multiline%26action_object_map%3D%255B231447463689958%255D%26action_type_map%3D%255B%2522og.shares%2522%255D%26action_ref_map%3D%255B%255D&h=6AQFhdU7E
http://www.************/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_WM9QcX5DP0%26fb_action_ids%3D10205284444224926%26fb_action_types%3Dog.shares%26fb_source%3Dother_multiline%26action_object_map%3D%255B231447463689958%255D%26action_type_map%3D%255B%2522og.shares%2522%255D%26action_ref_map%3D%255B%255D&h=6AQFhdU7E
Dont take so many drugs.  become your best health advocate, learn more about your condition and the drugs you take for them. there are natural alternatives that are not poison and actually have good side effects.  I wished I was warned about the debilitating mental confusion and memory loss from taking 200 mg of  "Dopamax"  for five years.  
Combination of 20mg amitriptyline + 50mg Lyrica have taken me from 2-3x/wk severe migraines, to 1-2x/month regular headaches that I manage with aspirin. This was after 20 years of migraines. Good luck to you!
Hi, Wanted ask a question if you don't mind . I really need to take the Topamax . I  believe it will help me with mood swings, anxiety, also with my weight. I am 40 pds over weight this Is putting pressure on my bad knee and causing me really bad pain.. But I have read so many bad things about this drug that I am terrified to stay on it. I just started it about  days ago .I take 25 mg.. I have noticed my tummy feels distended doc says that will go away. I pray it does.. If you could help me to understand how this drug helped you and if it was a good or bad thing and why and  do you believe it could cause a mental breakdown that's is something else that I read. I am so worried about this medicine . Please help if you don't mind. Thanks. purplerose
I am starting topamax tomorrow for weight loss.  Have been going to gym regularly and watching what I eat, with no success.

Your comment about your breasts is scaring me!  I am already a 44 DDD!
Wow. She wasn't talking about her boobs. She was talking about Degenerative Disk Disease.
Did it work the 2nd time around
CURIOUS???
Hair loss has been an issue and I have gone off of Topamax. Has anyone gone off this drug and had there hair get thicker or improve at all? I would love to hear that it does before I decide to buy a wig.
I started  topamax in April 2015 25mg X2 a day weight was 450lbs seizures every day also taken Keppra.  Topamax has increased to 100mg 2x a day still with Keppra seizures  mabey  1 every  2 weeks weight down to 320lbs no hair loss some forgetfulness  but getting better
Maybe a banana would help for muscle cramps especially during night but....not convinced its going to help tingling. Good luck with that!
Ive been on topamax since july 2015.I have a condition where the fuild around my brain doesn drain normally so I have alot of pressure(like my head is going to explode) my weight when I first started it was 236pds and I started at a low dose for a short period and after 3 weeks I was on 200mg. This was from my neurologist. My weight now is 165. I wasnt on it for weight obviously. But it has made my hair fall out, mostly in the shower is where I notice it. And it;s not alittle its alot. Handfuls! The balance, speech, memory and tingling are there. If I were to tell anyone to take this medication, dont. The side effects are horrible. And the serious side effects.... ask your doctor before taking this medication.  
I feel hairloss is due to vitamin B12 . Topmax depletes it from your system.  Take B12 while on this medication!  Will help your hairloss.
First of all, I would definitely get off of the Celexa. Been there, done that and it has some really nasty side effects. Secondly, the tingly feeling is coming from the Topomax but if you can stick with it, you'll lose the weight. Topomax is a great drug (I take it for MASSIVE migraines...I literally cannot live without it) but I dropped a crazy amount of weight and I wasn't even trying (not to say that it wasn't a wonderful little bonus!) Hang in there and give yourself a break. Two more things. 1. LOSE THE SCALES...they aren't your friend. Just pay attention to how you feel and how your clothes fit; and 2. Seriously, find another antidepressant. The Celexa is probably working against you on the weight loss. Good luck and Happy Skinny! :)
been on 50mg for 6 months. Quit 2 weeks back. Still losing hair in clumps. Hope it grows back as my scalp is already visible. Do let me know if you find anything on this...
Best be careful with allender