Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Topamax and weight loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Viewing 401-566 comments:
I've been on Topamax for 1 month (I also take Celexa for depression). No weight loss yet, darn it. But I have experienced the tingling in my fingertips and feet, forgetfulness and loss for words. Sometimes I have to stop and think how to spell or pronounce a word.

The side effect I have that really worries me is the dizzy / off balance feeling. Sometimes when I turn my head I get really lightheaded. Or if I'm standing and I turn to walk or look at something I almost fall over. It's not the head rush feeling you get from standing up too fast either. It happens everyday more than 10 times a day. Has anyone else had this side effect?

I began taking Topamax for migranes (migraines) in July 2009, and experienced the side effects (weigth loss, tingling, forgetfulness,etc).  After the nomral 25-50-75 for the first three weeks, I've been on the normal 100mg since.
The weight loss was an added benefit - I've lost 110 lbs in a year, but since July my weight loss has ceased (I also started cardio and weight training at this time, so I'm curious if this had anything to do with it?).
I am currently on topamax for a 2nd time. The first time was back in 2007 when I first started it my doctor suggested I also start walking 30 minutes a day and i did. I lost almost 50lbs.. But I noticed the side effects. the tingling in my fingers and toes. This time around Im taking the topamax to prevent migraines yet it seems to sometimes bring them on. Also during the first week i was having terrible night sweats along with nightmares. I thought this was a lil weird but continued taking them because it was the first week. But as someone else mentioned, I also feel the light headed ness, forgetfulness.. feels so hard to concentrate at times. I called a friend who is also taking topamax but at a higher dosage and is a medical professional, she suggested since my doctor has me at the lowest dosage and twice a day try taking them both once a day.( just a personal suggestion between friends not recommending that to anyone) Im also on other medications and wonder if some of the side effects are due to a drug interaction.
HOW RAPID IS THE WEIGHT LOSS?I HAVE BEEN ON IT FOR A WEEK AND HAVE LOST 5 LBS. BUT I HAVE BEEN WATCHING WHAT I CONSUME.ANY REPLY? THANK AND GOOD LUCK TO U ALL
Regarding the tingling in your toes and fingers, try eating a banana a day- my doctor forewarned me about this side effect and told me that this will work.
You're taking it for the 2nd time?  Did you have weight loss the first time?  I did, in 2003.  Now I've taken it for 6 weeks.  my craving have subsided but have not shed one pound. Am very disappointed.  What's your experience?
I've been taking Topamax for 5 months for migraines.  It has worked very well for me.  The only side effect I have experienced is weight loss, which I am thrilled about.  I've lossed 22 pounds.  Before I took Topamax the migraines were quite bad, I was having them a couple times a week.  Now I have maybe one a month.  I think Topamax is a wonder drug : )!
I have been on Topamax for almost 2 months now and in the beginning, I had the tingling bad in my feet and hands. That subsided after a few weeks.  I also had the taste change when drinking soda which also got better but more recently.  Took longer for that to subside.  
The main side effect of the medication, which I personally LOVE, is the fact that I have so far lost 15 lbs. I haven't really changed my eating habits at all, so it's amazing.  My headaches are now totally gone (I'm up to a 100mg dose) and the weight loss it will stop.  
Hope that helps.
has anyone out there experience hair loss on topamax.  I'm really concerned about the hair loss issue.  please let me know how you are dealing with the hair loss on topamax.
I have been on Topamax for a month. One 15mg pill per day. No weight loss. No adverse reactions. It isn't helping prevent the migraines at all for me. I am to increase to two pills a day for a month, then three then four, etc until visiting the doctor again in may. On imitrex as well, it does not work either. Anyone tried any other prescriptions that worked for them?
I have been on Topamax, 50 mg for a week, and I have already lost 5 lbs! I have struggled with my weight since adolescence, and am thrilled to say that Topamax has really given me no other problems except a few weird tingling sensations in my feet, but I can deal. Anyone else start off like this? Is there a plateau you hit after a while?

Kris
I was perscribed topamax for the daily headaches. Come to find out they prevent the headache but it also helps with my fibromyalgia symptoms. The tingling and burning in my feet and hands it has helped. The only problem I had was the doc has me start out with 25 mg for seven days then up to 50 then 75 tillI reach 100mg. I did great at 25 only okay at 50 but by the time I got to 75 I was having trouble with confusion, I could complete thoughts or spell words. I was have anxiety and nervousness so I reduced back to the 25mg and am doing great with it. I have had such a time trying to lose weight cause exercising caused my fibromyalgia to flare up and I hurt so bad for days I could not get the weight off. Now I have energy and the weight is dropping! I am a happy camper:)
I started taking Topamax about a year ago paired with Zoloft and it had a few side effects. I lost about 10 pounds when I first started taking it, immediatly when you starting taking Topamax soda tastes weird, to the point where I had to stop drinking it all together.  Everything would start to tingle also.  The worst side effect I had was being able to talk.  I would be in the middle of a sentence and forget what I was saying.  I had a hard time remembering anything while on it.  After a while (about three weeks) this started to subside.  Now that I am off Topamax I have gained those 10 lbs back, and I cannot stop eating. I stopped taking the combination therapy because after getting much better, my depression symptoms got much worse while I was still on the medicine.  My doctor just put me on Wellbutrin SR. I started taking this last night.  I may go back on the Topamax as a combination therapy to shed these extra pounds.
I have recently re-started Topamax alongside Propanolol to manage my migraines. I previously found Topamax 25mg twice daily managed them well but was causing me to lose a lot of weight ( lost several stone) and have abdominal discomfort so came off. Migraines returned and became desperate to be free of them ruling my life again so am back on Topamax! G.P suggested a smaller dose, alongside a beta-blocker may not cause the side-effects.".hey ho" Ive already gone off food, but fingers crossed my life is not going to be ruled by the dreaded Migraines!!
Karen
I have been on Topamax for a little over 3 months now, and I love it.  I used to have migraines at least 5 or 6 times a week, and now I only have like 2 a month.  Plus the weight loss is a great bonus.  15 pounds in 3 months without having to work out or eat healthy? Great deal.  However, I do get the tingling (my feet and hands) and numbness (my face), and the confusion and forgetfulness.

Does anyone else get the numbness in their face? Because I have never heard anyone else say that, and I get it all the time and it's to where like I can't feel my cheeks or nose or sometimes my whole face.
I am currently on Topamax 100mg twice a day for the pass yr & a half. I had tingling in my hands & feet for the first month but that went away the good thing about this medicine is.... I've lose 71 lbs in 6 months I went from 239 to 168 & I went from having a headache just about everyday & now I might get one once a month. IT WORKS!!!!
I started on Topamax a while back. When I started out, I got a lot of energy, lost 35lbs. I did have a mild case of the forgetfulness and not able to get my words out, but it only lasted about a month. After I lost the 35lbs in the 3 months, I reached a plateau (didn't help that I had a back injury) and now my enery level is gone and the medication doesn't seem to help as much. I don't remember to take it twice a day very often. I wonder if I remember to take it more diligently if the weight will start to decrease again?
I get the numbness in my face, and I notice it especially in the mornings, when I am putting on makeup. Also I get the tingling in my feet. It wakes me up at night sometimes, but usually goes away after a few minutes.
I have a strange question. I've only been on topamax two weeks, but after the first week, my breasts hurt and grew. I took pregnancy tests and went to the dr, but it isnt that! Is it the topamax?
alright so I was on Topamax for migraines before (about 2 years ago) and had severe stomach cramps and diarrhea as well as extreme loss of apetite.Therefore, I lost a lot of weight. (for someone who was only 5' 1" and 96 pounds at the time, losing almost 20 pounds of bowel was not so good). My stomach pains were so unbearable and I was so depressed that I was out of school for over 6 months because the pain was unbearable. I was juggling various depression and anxiety as well as stomach medications at the same time because I as well as many different doctors couldn't figure out what it was. Because I was on so many medications at the time, we were looking to eliminate as many as we could that were unnescessary. Topamax being one of them because it was just a preventative. I was under many life changes during this time, so I have no idea what eventually stopped the stomach aches.

The most likely speculation was that it was due to extreme stress and swallowing of emotions...however, I'm wondering if it is linked to the Topamax..

Now to the present. I recently re-started on the Topamax because I am having frequent, horrible migraines. My doctor thought trying something that I had been on before would be a good idea because it had seemed to help stop the migraines. But now the excessive diarrhea and the appetite loss have enlightened my life again. Oh how happy I am! I'm proud to say that I'm 107 pounds now and have gained a substantial amount of muscle over the past 2 years. Things have been extremely stressful lately and I have no idea whether or not the Topamax could have a relation to the stomach aches and diarrhea or if it is the stress or if its a combination.

Topamax is used as a weight loss method. My ultimate question: Does anyone lose weight because they get frequent diarrhea along with extreme stomach cramps????
Hi, Can anyone help me??? I was just started on Topamax along with keppra, lacimtal, duragesic fentyl patch (for pain - have had over 12 abdominal surgeries in 15 years). During that time I gained 55 pounds of very unwanted pounds, after each surgery I would lose the usual 10 to 16 pounds and then it would come right back on. The seizures weren't diagnosed until late last year when I was started on keppra and lacmital fairly high does.  Now my Neurologist said based on last eeg my seizures continue to worsen so instead on increasing the above (which I think I'm already on the max) she suggested we start topamax (the weight loss would be a side effect that would be welcome for a change).

My question is does anyone have any experience with other medication interactions and will the weight loss still be a factor?  Is the weight loss only a factor if you experience the loss of appetite? I have not noticed a reduction in my appetite nor have i noticed any additional sleepiness or trouble with words (I write so I would certainly notice this).

My injuries started in 1995 with a Doctor's mistake compounded by another mistake to fix the original mistake - from there you get the picture 12 surgeries in all.  The icing on the cake was the insurance for the insurance company went bankrupt - I never knew that was even possible), sorry I digress.....

So, I asking what to expect and what would be the time line and associated dosage?  that would be so very helpful.  

To all those reading may every day be a little better than the day before.  smittys

I have recently changed medications and I am on the topamax alone for the 1st week now without my other drug lamictal. i have noticed serious side affects such as tingling in the hands and feet, fizzy drinks taste flat to me, and I have a serious non stop dizzy feeling... did anyone else feel like this when they first started?
candy
i have been on Topamax for a month, I have not noticed tingling in my hands or feet but on my upper lip, has anyone alse experienced this.  I also have been on phentermine for three months so combined with these two drugs i have lost 22lbs!!
My daughter has been on Topamax for 2 months, she was on it to prevent migraines, and her mother in law had been taking it for the same reason and had incredibly lost a tremendous amount of weight (70 lbs) in about 4 months. I had seen her (Tina the M-in-L) about 4 mos. ago at a party and then i saw her at Christmas and it was shocking! She looked like a stick! I asked her what was she taking and she said Topamax..So I said I want it! So,my daughter Christa got it first, and she, after 2 mos, is losing her hair in clumps,and she is very pretty, and is in entertainment as a performer/singer/songwriter, and in the past week, her hair has fallen out in the front crown and back crown area. She is so sad! Does anyone know about this travesty and what she can do about it?? Obviously she has gotten off of the pills, and we are trying vitamins, Biotin, and hair products. The kicker here is that now my Dr. has me on it! I have very thick hair, Christa has thin hair. But if i see it falling out i will cease to take it anymore!! So what to do?? Tell do tell!!
I recently started using Topamax and just wanted to find out if I should be following s specific diet to get the same kind of result that the ladies ubove have got out of this thing? Please help me I have gained about 70+ lbs in the past year and I just cant tak it anymore, I have to get rid of this now.
I just started taking Topamax, started at 25 mg, then going to 50 mg and staying at that until I go back to Dr on July 8.  I have lost a couple pounds already and my fave diet coke tastes gross.  i guess thats a good thing, to get me off of that!  no other side effects yet, maybe a bit of decreased appetite but I'm sure as I increase the dosage, that may become worse.  Im 258 lbs and a good 70 lbs or so to lose would be FABULOUS!  I am also taking other medications, I hope they dont interfere with the weight loss aspect of the medicine.
Update: I am now on 100 mgs of Topamax daily. No weight loss. I've been at this dosage for one month. Still taking Imitrex, two 100 mg tabs per migraine. It works after about 2 hours. I also have Maxalt. I haven't tried it yet though. Anyone here have good results taking Maxalt for their migraines?
Hi there,
It is so interesting to hear you say that you also find stuff you normally liked tasting gross!
I was a complete Coke addict. I easily drank about 2 liters of Coke a day and now I cannot stand the taste. In fact all fizzy drinks are terrible.
I think it must have something to do with the Carbon Oxide gas or something...
I also asked my doctor if this is a normal side effect (changes in taste buds) but he said that its the first time that anyone ever mentioned it to him.
I am so glad I am not the only one.
But it is as you say - A bonus really.
I have now lost 11lbs and I really feel good. I don't feel like I am on a diet at all.

Please let me know how it goes with your increased dosage.
Hi, I just started taking TMax yesterday and am very hopeful for the benefits to begins. How long before the migraine cessation and weight loss? I also hear it's a mood stabililzer, How long beofre that kicks in too? I don't mind all the side effects. I take soooo many other meds, 20 pils/day many heavy opiates due to chronic pain from fibromyalgia and degenerative disc disease along with cervical facet syndrome. I also suffer from hypothyroidism, IBS, insomnia, lifelong depression, multiple anxiety and recent severe weight gain due to excessive cortisol levels from steroids (combination of injections and prednilisone). I currently take pristique for my depression, levothyroxine (generic synthroid), oxycontin 40 2 x/dy, dilaudid 8 mgs as needed, kapidex, dicyclomine, (both various pills for my IBS), Zanaflex 12 mgs 3 xs/dy (muscle relaxer) along with other meds. I was taking 800 mgs of gabapentin for nerve pain but was taken off when it no longer worked. I tried lyrica and savella and those didnt work either. I have been taking 800 mgs of ibuprofen for my headaches 3-4 times a day for my entire life and imitrex doesn;t even work for me. I used to take 2 fioricet #3's for my migraines but they stopped working also. MY doc is hoping this will work for my migraines and my nerve pain. Has anyone had success for migraine relief, weight loss & nerve pain relief with all these other meds or at least while taking lots of other meds? not sure how this will effect me. Thanks.
update: I'm taking 200mgs a day of topamax now for one week.  makes me sleep alot better so far. no noticeable change with decreasing the frequency of migraines yet. no weight loss either. it does make foods taste different. i hope to see some weight loss soon but am worried about the hair loss side effect. i'll keep you posted.
It is now july 15th. i have lost 8 lbs since being on the 200mgs of topamax. i'm very pleased about that. no headaches so far. i usually had one every week or more. the topamax seems to make most food seem repulsive to me. all i want is liquids. if i try to eat anything it tastes strange and i end up sptitting everything out. havent had any of the hair loss side effect that i've heard about. i do take msm and biotin daily for my hair though. i hope the weight loss continues and that the headache frequency continues to lessen. i go back to my neurologist in november 2010. i'll keep everyone updated. good luck to everyone.
Hello!  I love all the comments...they have all been very helpful!  I recently started using Topamax.  I started at 25 mg once a day, then twice a day.  Now up to 50 mg's twice a day.  So far my migraines have not gotten a ton better, but they have subsided some.  I have, however, lost 5 pounds so far!!  Woo hoo...I can live with that!

As for tastes changing.  I had taken myself off most sodas a while back, but at the movie theater the other day I decided to get a Diet Dr. Pepper.  I got one and immediately mentioned to my husband that it tasted really horrible to me.  I don't know if that is because of the fact that I haven't had one in a while or the Topamax or what...just thought it was interesting that it had been noted above by other users!

So far, so good with Topamax.  Keep  posting your successes, it is interesting and helpful!  Good luck everyone!

I have started taking Topamax this week for migraines - starting on 25mg working up to 100mg. I have been suffering with migraines now for 2 years but things got worse in April this year when i was addmitted into hospital after being paralized for 6 hours - after many tests the doctors have finally diagnosed migraines - i have been reading through all the previous posts and find all the information really useful.

i have had the pins and needles and troulbe sleeping but so far so good - i'm hoping to have on benefit from all of this losing weight! how long until people have noticed a difference??

Thanks :)
I first took Topamax at age 17 for migraines, which I suffered terribly from. Along with a combination of birth control(Seasonique) I quickly gained control over my constant(sometimes weekly)migraines and only got them during the time of my period when I was off my birth control. The combination of hormones and Topamax worked extremely well. I also went from weighing 150 to 125, an extreme accomplishment since I had always struggled with weight during high school after I could no longer be in sports due to an injury. It was decided during the fall semester of my freshman year of college that my birth control suppressed my migraines well enough that I no longer needed Topamax so I was taken off of it and kept the weight off easily.  
I also suffer from bipolar disorder, depression and anxiety and take Prozac and Lamotrigine. At age 19 during my spring semester of freshman year in college, I was put on Remeron for my depression and anxiety. Unfortunately Remeron has a side effect of extreme weight gain. In 3 months I gained 50 pounds, weighing in at around 175. I was horrified. I demanded to be taken off Remeron but the damage was already done. Remeron not only put weight on by making me crave and eat sugar and junk food(it's a terrible drug, never take it, I would eat junk food until I threw up and then eat more, it was like a compulsion I couldn't stop)but because of all that junk food and sugar, my blood sugar and pressure spiked to an unhealthy level.
Desperate for help, I went to a weight loss clinic as soon as school ended. I went in June and they put me on 100 miligrams(50 in the morning and afternoon, if taking birth control it's very important to take Topamax at a different time because it weakens the effect of the bc and can result in break through bleeding)of Topamax and a diet that consisted of basically just vegetables, lean meat, water, and absolutely no carbs or sugar. I'll admit I never exercised. But I still lost 25 pounds in a little over a month. I now weigh about 149 and am still dropping pounds! I feel great and my blood sugar and pressure are all back to normal, healthy ranges. And I have Topamax and an easy healthy 'diet'(it's really not that hard, hardest part for me was cutting out fruit)to thank!

I would recomend Topamax to everyone! It's changed my life for the better twice now! It's truly been a miracle.
Even though it's helped me a lot, there are side effects to Topamax. The biggest one I've noticed, and this might sound weird, is being disgusted by food because of the smell. It's like my smell has been enhanced. I can smell food better than I could when I wasn't on Topamax. I'm more aware, painfully so, of how it smells and also how it tastes. It's overwhelming at times and depending on the food can make me nauscious. This is what results in the side effect of loss of appetite, at least for me. It makes food seem repulsive and I don't want to eat. *If any of you also experience this appetite loss, please remember that it is very important that you still eat. Do not skip meals! You'll get sick.* Sugary sweet food is another thing that makes me sick. I can't eat anything like candy(even without my diet restrictions)or sometimes just simply things that are naturally sweet like peaches because the taste is too strong. I end up eating a lot of bland foods. I eat way more vegetables than I ever did before(and not just because of my diet) but they usually have to be raw because the smell when they're cooked is too strong. I also eat a lot of soup. If you're having trouble finding something to eat, I recomend soup. Try making your own. It's fun and that way you can cater to your own individual tastes. And soup is veryeasy to eat on Topamax. It's part liquid so your stomach handles it better. A blander chicken broth is usually best. A more acidic broth like tomato might upset your stomach but it's all trial and error. See what works best for you when it comes to food. If you make you own soup, or meals, you get to put whatever you want in it. Make sure to eat a lot of protein. On Topamax you tend to eat less. Filling up on junk food or carbs is a bad idea. Eat protein and vegetables first and if you're still hungry then have that dinner roll and dessert. This way your stomach won't be upset, and you'll continue to lose weight and your body will be healthy while doing it. Also, I know how tempting it is not to exercise while on Topamax since you tend to lose weight without needing the physical activity. But your body still needs exercise to remain healthy while you lose the weight. Even just a simple walk around the block is good for you.
So that's the biggest and pretty much only side effect Ive had to deal with. I hope my tips and advice about how Ive dealt with it help any of you out there who also are experiencing the same side effect! ^_^
Hi All,

I have now been on Topamax for 60 days, and THANK GOD I discovered it!!
It has brought the biggest change to my life and I will never be the same.
I have lost 30 pounds and I feel great. I am only on 50mg a day but I will contact my doctor to find out whether I should increase my dosage or not.
But what I really want to share it that, for the first time in my life I went on holiday and didn't gain a whole bunch of weight. My husband and I went on holiday for 12 days and when I came back and got on that dredded scale after the holiday I only gained 800g!!!!! That has never happend to me in my entire life.
I feel so good and it feels like I finally have my life under control!
To all of you out there, keep posting your stories - it keeps me motivated!
I was on Topamax for neuralgia in my leg and had the bonus of the side effect anorexia. The first time I lost about 35 lbs with the effects but kept going and lost a total of 76lbs. I have been off Topamax for about 4 months and just started back on it today, hoping for the side effect and also hope this time it will help with the neuralgia. If I can lose 35 more lbs, I will be down to 130lbs after a lifetime of struggling with weight problems. The hair loss problem seems to affect all people who lose weight quickly and many times is a protein problem. I have friends who have been on weight watchers and have had this also. My doc tells me it does change your taste buds and the only thing that really tasted good to me was milk. Good luck to you all.
Been on Topamax for only two evenings. I also take Wellbutrin and have taken Wellbutrin since I quit smoking in 2006. Wellbutrin helped keep me from gaining weight during my battle with quitting smoking, which is amazing and made cigarettes taste horrible. The side effects were minimal but the shakiness was by far the most annoying and continues to be. I am on 25mg Topamax for extreme migraines and will be on 50mg after 7 days, then after a month or two up to 75mg then eventually 100mg. I haven't noticed a difference in anything yet. I'm really tired now but I am still taking antibotics from having a sinus infection, so that may have something to do with it. Plus, I am a full-time college student, full-time employee and full-time mother - so I'm pretty much always exhausted. I noticed it has been a little more difficult to spell when taking notes over the past two days, or maybe its a coincidence.

I would like to benefit from the weight loss of Topamax as I have been recently started Lexapro a month ago (in addition to my Wellbutrin) and I've already gained weight. I'm going to talk to my Dr. about stopping the Lexapro and just staying on the Topamax once I get to a high enough dose. I haven't noticed any difference in smells or the taste of foods so far with Topamax like many have, but maybe its too early in the process. Plus, I do not drink any carbonated beverages (ever). It would be nice to loose about 20lbs, to get me in the "safe" category for my size, age, and frame.

How long did it take before people noticed a reduced appetite? I haven't noticed it yet, but its only been two days, and I'm only taking 25mg. I have been getting some stomach pains and cramps (but sometimes my stomach acts out for no apparent reason, I'm lactose intolerant, so my indigestion system is very touchy). Please advise. Thanks. Oh, and I promise to keep this post up to date to let you know if I have lost any weight or had any unwanted side effects.
so it's been a little over a month and I still have been losing weight and migraines are getting so much better. I don't drink pop anymore so that's good too. Although now I seem to love Hawaiian Punch which is not so good! but I seem to have a weird side effect and wonder if anyone else experiences it. Does anyone else get any "trails" at any point in the day? I seem to get them first thing in the morning or late night if I stay up. Other than that all my side effects have disappeared other than the numbness but that is from my b12 defficiency I was just diagnosed with. I have pernicious anemia and am hoping once my levels go up, my migraines will be less frequent and severe. I have so far lost 15 pounds on the topamax and a total of 30 since the beginning of the summer. I know some of the weight loss is due to the fact that I no longer take steroids or injections but either way, very happy with the results. My doctors say they will increase my dose of the topamax soon. My appetite is the a bit different, I never ate during the day but always ate dinner. I have to force myself to eat dinner and I did notice tho that I don't sweat anymore either.
can i take topamax without havein a doctor ? i know all the side effects ..my daughter use to take them and she just quit all together ..then i heard others takeing them to lose weight
update:  It's now been years that I've been on Topamax, 100mg at bedtime. The tingling and side-effects are gone. I've lost 42 lbs. I'm no longer on Wellbutrin. I have no health insurance. I too, like someone else mentioned, loved Coca-Cola, and don't drink it very ofyen at all. My weight, which steadily dropped on the Topamax, (to a low of 104) without much effort just because I didn't really feel hungry, was beginning to creep back up. I'm 5'3" and when I began taking Topamax my weight had sneaked up to 186. On Topamax, it effortlessly dropped to 133, plateaued, then began dropping again (104) and after a couple of years crept up to156. In Jan. 2010 I had an accident (I will paste the details below) and when taken to the hospital was 156.They continued my Topamax, and I have continued it since coming home,and noe in early Aug. 2010, weigh 111 lbs. However, in speaking with other trauma victims, I have heard that weight loss, lack of appetite, etc., for 6 mos. to a year is common, if not universal. So, if I weren't taking the Topamax, I don't know if I might have lost some weight anyway, BUT I believe, I FEEL, like the Topamax helps, or makes it possible for me to resist things I previously couldn't resist. Below I will paste the article about my accident:

Highway heroine on mend after 12 broken bones
BY FAITH MAYER ***@****
RUTLAND — One minute she was cruising down the highway excited about an evening out with her husband and granddaughter, and the next she was telling her husband to pull over so she could help the accident victim on the side of the road. Before the night was over, she would have a total of 12 broken bones, a lacerated skull requiring blood transfusions.
Allison is a nurse and on the night of Jan. 24, she was doing what she has always done. She was helping a person in need.
“We were on our way to Kent, Conn., to pick up George’s granddaughter,” Allison recalled. “We had just called her to say that we were 10 minutes away when we came upon an accident. Having been married for several years, George knew he had to pull over so that I could assist. Flash ice had just occurred and the car had slid and flipped up onto its side. I knew I had to help.”
George pulled over, let Allison out and then proceeded to drive up the hill to warn oncoming cars of the accident below.
As George was driving up the hill, Allison went to the aid of the victim.
“The victim, Vita, had climbed out of the sunroof. She was a bit disoriented, but she was most concerned about the others in the car with her. I went to the car to help,” Allison said.
George continued: “The roads were horrible. I slid all the way up, and as I was cresting the hill a minivan came over the hill, began to slide, and then hit the Subaru Allison was standing next to, searching for other victims — there weren’t any.”
When the van hit the Subaru, the force of the accident forced the car back onto its wheels, with Allison underneath it. She was left trapped underneath the car, facedown, with nothing but her head and her right shoulder exposed.
“I watched this in slow motion, frame by frame, from the top of the hill.” George said. “I then tried to get down the hill, but I kept sliding. I finally had to go down in a full crouch — picture me on a snowboard — and slide down to her.”

By the time George arrived at the scene, another man, by the name of Bill, had stopped. He and his daughter Caitlin had stopped to help the original accident victim along with Joneses. They had been frantically calling 911, but kept getting the New York dispatch as they were so close to the border of the two states. When Bill saw the car flip onto Allison, he immediately handed the cell phone to Caitlin and ran to the aid of Allison.
“I knew she was hurt and I knew we had to get the car off of her,” George said. “At this time, a third man appeared. I don’t know where he came from, and he remains anonymous to this day because the police cannot release his name to me without his permission. Anyway, Bill and I lifted the car off of Allison and the anonymous man slid her out.
“When we did finally get her out from under the car, there was blood absolutely everywhere from all of her injuries,” George continued. “We used snow to clean her up and I knew I had to hold compression on her head wound. Within a minute of freeing her, the entire county showed up. There must have been 40 rescuers on the scene within 10 minutes of the initial accident.
“The biggest problem was the ice. The ambulance started to slide, so we had to wait a bit longer for them to get the chains on the tires, and then the ambulance crew had to crawl with the backboard in order to get to Allison,” George explained.
Finally, Allison was safely enclosed in the ambulance. The original accident victim, Vita, had minor injuries and was treated and released.
Upon arrival at Milford Hospital, Allison was immediately transferred to the trauma center in Danbury, Conn.
“Ideally, she would have gone via life flight, but they were not flying because of the weather,” George said.
Once in the hospital, the doctors discovered that Allison had a large laceration in her head, two broken clavicles, two cracks in her pelvis, six broken ribs, cracks in her sacrum and every internal organ in her body was badly bruised. Miraculously, she had no serious internal injuries.
“They were literally surgeons arguing in the hall over whether to fix her shoulders or her pelvis first. One was insistent that fixing the shoulders was necessary, as she couldn’t use a walker without the use of her arms. The other was insistent that the pelvis needed to be stabilized. In the end, the shoulders were fixed,” George explained.
Today, Allison has still only had the one surgery and is resting at home. She was insistent on making it home for Valentine’s Day, but her motivation was not flowers — rather, the annual Daytona 500 party that her family puts on.
She credits her survival to many things, Rowdy the healing cat being high on the list, along with the constant presence of her family, and their never-ending sense of humor. Rowdy is a stray cat that Allison found in the family barn and raised on a bottle. They are closely connected. It was his arrival at the hospital that sped up her recovery.
“For some reason, when I was in the hospital I was insistent that my cat get a diploma because he was not making anything of his life. I was so insistent that my daughter finally had an official-looking diploma made up for him to make me happy. I also have a sign on the back of my wheelchair that says, ‘I Break for Subarus,’ and Hunter brought me an orange vest and flares so I’ll be safer next time I stop to help,” Allison said.
Allison wants people to know that she did not break a single nail, thanks to the work she regularly has done at Glamour Nails in Holden.
“I had a sign made up that says, ‘Broken Bones — 12. Broken Nails — 0.”
Asked if she would continue to stop to aid victims, Allison had this to say:
“Oh yeah! No question. We’ve [George and I] discussed how we could work as a team if we needed to help someone and I didn’t have enough strength in my hands to do CPR myself or if I needed him as extra hands. I will always stop,” she said.
It is often said that from every negative a positive arises, according to Allison.
“Because of my accident, the police and ambulance drivers now park differently so that if they get hit, the original rollover will not fall on them or the victim or victims,” Allison said.
“That is one good thing that came out of this,” George said.
Allison is expected to make a nearly full recovery. She continues to live in pain, but remains hopeful that she will be able to return to the pit with George for the upcoming race season.

How to contact The Landmark

I forgot to mention, YES, I have noticed the hair loss side effect. Quite substantially actually. When I used to go to the salon they would charge me double, complaing that my hair was so thick and there was so much of it.  That never happensanymore. I live in a different state and am considered to have thin hair. I had to show them a picture of what my hair used to look like because they couldn't believe I ever had "thick" hair. If I can figure out how, I'll post 'before and after' pics.
Hello, I used to take Topamax for migraines in high school because my migraines were taking away from my everyday life. As most of you probably know, I was actually staying home.. I actually got off topamax 2 years ago, because the migraines stopped. They recently came back and I am back on Topamax. I have put on about 25 pounds over the last 2 years I would like to lose and was wondering if anyone has lost weight a second time around???
That was the case with me, when I went back on it the second time, I lost the weight I had gained while off it. I no longer have any migraines either. Many other remedies I tied didn't work on my migraines, and I carried Imitex, or similar meds with me. The Topamax has been great. As far as the weight, I believe the Topamax has been instrumental, altough as stated above, I've had other issues going on at the same time as well.
Thank you for your reply! I am so happy to hear that you actually did lose the weight a second time around. I also have been on other drugs, and found that nothing works quite like topamax does. I agree that it does come with the tingling feeling, and losing some hair, but I have been able to get my life back it seems like.
My dr called me in a script for topamax for my migraines. along with maxalt. The dose on the topamax is listed as take one 100mg pill at bedtime. Then i come here and see everyone talking about slowly working up to it, also the topamax websight said the same thing. Should i do that or just take what the dr prescribed?
i ve been on topamax to stabilize my mood and lose weight.i am 20 lbs overweight.
i started with 50mg 5 months ago and now i m going for the 200 next week.i just lost 4 pounds....which makes me think that 'wieght loss wise' topamax is not very good in my case...does anybody can help? thanks..
I am starting Topamax today for the first time ever, but I have a question, my dosage is 200mg TWICE  a day ! Is that a mistake ?  I am 5'3   /  98 pounds.
I have been taking topamax for 4 months now and have experienced the change in taste with the soda. witch only happens in 8% of people (so lucky me) does anyone know if this will go away? I also went from 132lbs down to 110lbs in 3 months and have no appetite, so my DR told me to drink carnation instant breakfast as an extra meal.
TO EVERYONE, I AM 49 TURNING 50 IN FEB 2011, I AM STARTING MY WOMEN CHANGES RIGHT NOW.  I WAS ON TOPMAX LAS T YEAR, 25 MGS FIRST FOR A MONTH, THEN 50 MGS FOR 3 MONTHS, I LOST 30 POUNDS WHICH I HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR 2 YRS!  IT SAVED MY LIFE.  I HAVE BEEN OFF OF IT NOW FOR A YEAR AND BECAUSE I RECENTLY STARTED MY CHANGES, I GAINED BACK 10 POUNDS AND NOT HAPPY AT ALL.

WHEN I STARTED THE TOPAMAX I STARTED WALKING ONLY A HALF HOUR A DAY, THATS IT, ITS 15 MONTHS ANS STILL WALKING 5 DAYS A WEEK AND GAINING WEIGHT AND ITS NOT MUSCLE WEIGHT BELIVE ME, ALL IN MY STOMACH ARE.  WHAT ALSO HELPED ME WITH THE TOPAMAX WAS TAKING A VITAMIN WHICH IS AN OVER THE COUNTER HORMONE OUR BODUES AS WOMEN USED TO PRODUCE, NOW DONT.  SO I TOOK 25 MGS OF DHEA WITH TOPMAX ANS THEY WORK GREAT TOGETHER.  I PLAN ON GOING BACK ON TOPAMAX, ODERED IT FROM A WEBSITE CALLED MEDSTORE.COM, NO PRECRIPTION NEEDED, IT WILL BE HERE AIR MAIL IN 2 WEEKS, CANT WAIT.

THIS TIME GOING TO DROP 30 MORE POUNDS.  LIKE I SAID I WILL BE 50 IN FEB AND WANT THIS WEIGHT LOSS OFF FINALLY.  HOPE THIS HELPS EVERYONE, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND READING, TAMMY MICHAEL....^j^
I have been on 25mg of topamax for two weeks now and have found my appetite increase. My hunger pangs are more servere, though my taste buds are a bit affected, only some chocolates and soft drinks taste unusual. Has anyone else found these sideffects, there has been no weightloss but it is only early days. What i do like about it is no migranes (migraines) and i sleep through the entire night which never happens with me. I only really went on it for the weight loss, i can handle my migrane (migraine) episodes with medication but i would really like to enjoy the weightloss sideeffects. should i increase my dose.
This is my second time taking Topamax at 100mg a day for sezuires I am supposed to be taking 200 a day.  Last time I had problems remembering and spelling things, numbness, carbonated things tasted weird, strange dreams and worst of all was a week period in the first month with HORRIBLE stabbing stomach pain. Never figured what it was think it might have been gull stones ot kidney stones cause by the meds according to dr.s. Some of my memory never came back. I am only taking it again because it is the only meds that work at all for me and the weightloss was great and I have since gained back the weight.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Weight-Loss-Alternatives/Topamax-and-weight-loss/show/22147# OK I just started taking Topamax yesterday. Self prescribed for weight loss and anxiety to lower my blood pressure as well. Took 50 mg. in a.m. was very tired, but it did help lower my systolic bp lowest it has been in months.   Today I took 25 mg. in a.m. and will take 25 mg. tonight.   will do this for a week.  and see how it goes.

I have had no changes in taste so far. Drinking diet coke with no problems.  No side effects.  I will keep you all posted.  I am hoping to lose 30 pounds at least. I am around 170 5'8".    I am afraid of hair loss so will try to remember to take lots of biotin. I have fine hair as it is and already use hair extensions for length but would hate to lose top hair. eeks.
Hi all. I am a 41 yr old female. My doc just put me on Topamax for migraine prevention and Bipolar mood swings. I took my first pill yesterday, 25 mg for a week working up to 100 by week 4. I haven't really noticed too much, a little fogginess maybe but it's not really in my system yet. I am having some cramps that feel like diarrhea which is rare for me, but I did drink a lot of coffee today so it could be that.

I just recently got over a huge hair "shed" to where I was worried my hair wouldn't stop falling out. It finally did stop, and now it is very thin, but I have a lot of new hair growing in...so I am extremely worried about losing my new hairs and the little that I do have. I bought some Nioxin shampoo, used it first time today, and I am going to start taking prenatal vitamins or some other vitamins good for hair. Any recommendations?

I am also on Zoloft 100mg to help with the Bipolar depression. I will admit that I am hoping for weight loss but I am not expecting it. I will post every week to update everyone on my experience with Topamax.

God Bless.
Maxalt is brilliant and it has little to no side effects but it is not as effective as tomapax for preventing migraines, its more of a pain killer and if you have a very severe migraine they will not work but if you have a bad headache or mild migraine then you will find maxalt good.

People who do not lose weight on tomapax are taking pills which counter act weight loss
Celexa for example, usually any antidepressant that is not otherwise stated to cause weight loss or no change in weight WILL cause you to gain weight.
I lost my appetite and lost weight every month when i started taking effexor and i also take levothyroxine for hypothyroidism which is a weight loss booster but it only works if you have a low thyroid, so the tomapax is really just for headaches but the weight loss ONLY works with doses of 100mg and over

hope that helps some people

if you are having trouble losing weight or just taking tomapax for weight loss, i suggest getting your thyroid tested and see about going on thyroxine as its slow and steady weight loss but its safe and is used to increase your thryoids activity levels, whereas tomapax is used in conjunction with other pills for bi polar and epilepsy, its not a weight loss miracle drug
I'm a seasoned Topamax taker.  I started when the drug was fairly unknown to most and a generic wasnt available at the time.  I'm a definite migraine case and can say that with all the posts I read with the exception of the loss of hair...I think I've had every sympton.  I was down from 160lbs to 109lbs but of course this was over some period of time more so a year or two.  I would not advise people to take this drug unless its needed for the purpose of a migraine, epileptics, or other cases under a doctors suggestion.  I was happy that I did not develop kidney stones the only annoyance....is the irritation in the stomach area that feels like small stomach burn and the lost of thoughts but that should get better over time....Start low and gradually build yourself...in my experience starting high is not the best thing.....I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my happiness with finally finding a drug that prevents my migraines from occuring as often....
48 hours in my "hopefully" last drug for my constant migraine.  If any of you see a neurologist and have to fill out that questionaire of 10 questions...ie: do you feel a burden to others....how often do you feel your migraines control your life.. you know how desperiate you are to try ANTYHTING that might bring some sort of normalcy back.  I have been on everything including the last Gabapentin.  Which worked some of the time.  Now I have started this and I am not too concerned with the side effects if they are just in the beginning. I hope this gives me my life back
It took a long time, maybe 7 months for me to start getting relief from using topomax (topamax), and it helped me to go from 158 to 132, but it took time and I also exercised. I stopped taking it in August cuz me n hubby are trying to have a baby, but if I am not pregnant this month, we are gonna stop trying for a while til I get my weight under control. I was on 400mg and had to wean myself off of it before we could start trying. I decreased one pill every two weeks, then had to be off of it for a full month before we could start. I was unable to control my cravings and appetite during all this time and have gone from 135 to 162 in a very short period of time. I have started back exercising now. So topomax (topamax) did help with weightloss  and eventually helped with pain by decreasing the amount of migranes (migraines) I had per month. I may start taking it again if we are not pregnant this month, then wean myself off again when I reach my goal. This time I will do better with my appetite and cravings because I know what happened last time. Lots of luck to you and I hope this helped you in some way.
I was just recently put on topamax 25 mg for the weight loss benefits and have been reading the side effects.  I'm a little frightened of this medication... any thoughts?  I haven't taken it yet because I don't know if the side effects are worth the risks... I'd appreciate insight from anyone taking it and has experienced positive weight loss without severe health issues as a result of taking it...
I got weightloss but after I was up to 400mg. I had side effects for two weeks and they consisted of pain in the back of my head and neck. After that I was fine.
I used to know my topamax blood level was high when the tip of my nose tingled. I felt like bewitched.
I was given Topomax (topamax) by my Pain Management Specialist in late October for numbness and tingling in my foot, residue left over from a back surgery. He told me it may help with weight loss as I had gained 60 pounds due to steroids and narcotics over a 5 yr period of time and not being able to exercise due to 2 back surgeries in less than a year. Well, I totally lost my appetite almost and had to be reminded to eat by my caregiver. I have leveled off and lost 30 pounds since late October. I also have fibromyalgia so I thought the forgetfulness was the fibro-fog, also noticing increased poor concentration, especially trying to study. How long does one stay on this drug? Does the weight come back when you get off of it? I am getting to the place where I will be released to working with a personal trainer and pool therapy so I have no plans for the weight to come back. My dosage is 75mg.
i also am on tmax for migraines and have been for awhile and im only on 50mg ...i do have weight loss as i side effect so to say only 100 mg and up exp. that has not been true for me!.. i've been so blessed to just get rid of daily migraines
I have been on topamax for almost a year and a half now and I have also experienced weight loss, but not to the extremes of looking like a stick although I sure wish lol but I have lost 15 pounds and since have ceased losing weight!  I have not experienced the hair loss but have read numerous complaints from people that have had that problem so I almost wonder if they are using another medication with it or have other symptoms that may be causing this reaction, I would definately consult a physician with this question right away. Good luck
I Started takeing Topamax about 5 years ago,I do think it's the amount u take if it works,I Take it for migraines,started out with 25mgs.no weight loss did nothing for my headaches,i'am now on 100mgs 50mgs n the morn.50 at night,also went from 150pds to 125 but i also work out,but if i take my pills before i eat my meals i wont eat a full plate doc. says that's normal,if it's a problem start taking after your meals,I also quit smoking in sept.and i haven't had a migraine yet i normally get a least 1 a mon.with the 100mgs which is good i was geeting them 3or 4 times a mon.
I Hope this helps
I have just started topamax as a mood stabilizer (i have BPD) and I also hope to lose weight with it since I am very morbidly obese (bmi over 50). I've been on it for a couple of days, 25mg, will add another 25mg when the week is done, and then proceed to 75 etc. I have so far lost nearly 10 lbs, and it has only been 4 days! Haha. I will keep you updated.
My question to everyone is, has anyone started off taking Topamax first with no hair loss (for long enough to be able to tell) and then switched to the generic, Topiramate, and then experienced hair loss???  I am wondering if I should try the brand name (Topamax) but am really scared that I will experience the hair loss all over again after I am finally started to see new growth.

I was on Topamax for almost 9 months (Aug 2009 to May 2010) and thought it was a miracle drug!  It worked so great for my migraines!  I did experience the tingling in my hands, feet, and face but that subsided within a few weeks.  I did have a little bit of slow thinking but not too noticeable.  I also lost 20 lbs very quickly, a bonus in my book!  I started by taking 25mg in the AM and 25mg in the PM then was bumped up to 50mg in the AM and 50mg in the PM.  Then my world came to a stand-still when my hair started to fall out in clumps.  Every day I would loose tons and tons of hair and it has a nasty, frizzy look and feel to it.  I have long, thick, naturally curly strawberry-blond hair so this was absolutely devastating to me!  I have seen my Internist, Neurologist, Gynecologist and Dermatologist for this problem.  No one can find anything wrong with me.  I have had every blood test under the sun done and everything is either normal or negative.  Isn't that what everyone wants?  Well, I was almost hoping they would find something wrong with me so that they could begin to fix it!  No such luck!  And hair grows in stages so all the hair that was due to fall out had to continue falling out until it was done, even after I stopped taking it.  Then I would have the painful process of waiting for the new hair to start growing back.  
I quit taking the Topiramate (generic for Topamax) in Sept 2010 only to wake up to an excruciating migraine almost every single day.  I started taking it again in Oct 2010 because I just couldn't take the pain anymore.  But then the hair loss really got to me so I quit for good in Nov 2010.  Today is March 8, 2011 and I have recently cut my hair to my shoulders (it looks much better that way), it isn't falling out anymore and isn't frizzy and I do believe that it is finally growing back.  Yey!

Please if anyone has some insight regarding brand vs generic with hair loss, I would love to hear about it!  
Thanks!!
Question: I am starting the standard Topamax regimen today. I am on my menstrual cycle (3rd day-3 more to go). Does starting the Topomax (topamax) regimen on my menstrual cycle hinder the the benefits of the regimen? Should I wait to start the regimen? Does taking Excedrin (menstrual headaches) and/or Tramadol (leg pains) during Topamax regimen hinder the effects of the Topamax?
that's a really low dose...I just started taking it this week and I my does is 25 mg, by the end of the month I'll be at 100 mg a day.  Perhaps you need to increase your dose to see results for both your headaches and weight loss?
I have numerous medical conditions including bipolar disorder,depression,social anxiety,osteoarthritis,degenerative disc disease,spondylosis,and spondylothesis.I take Depakote and Xanax for the mental illnesses.I also had gastric bypass surgery 9 years ago.My pre surgery weight was 379 and within 1 1/2 years I got down to 180.After being diagnosed bipolar 3 years ago and starting the Depakote,I gained back 70 lbs which has put a major strain on my back condition.So in January of this year my doctor started me on Adipex to try to take some weight back off.I felt it was working great.By March I had lost 32 lbs. but that wasnt impressive enough for my doctor.So for the last four weeks in addition to the Adipex my doctor has had me taking 50 mg 2x a day of Topamax.The weight loss has ceased.If anything,i have an increased appetite and have no desire to drink fluids at all.I have to force myself to drink.8 hours of the day can go by before i even realize that i havent even took a sip of water yet,in turn leaving me dehydrated,weak and sick.I am miserable,depressed,crying all day.I feel that it is cancelling out my mental health meds and the Adipex.I am confused,cant focus,speak correctly or hold a conversation.I am scared to even drive down the street in my car.I feel as if i'm not paying enough attention and will cause an accident and hurt somebody.Its only been four weeks and i dont have a follow up appointment with my doctor for another week and a half.I do not want to take these evil pills anymore.Has any one else experienced something like this with Topamax? Has anyone quit cold turkey and are there any harmful effects from doing so?Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated
I was on topomax (topamax) 100mg twice a day plus prozac 80mg twice a day. I had to stop taking them both  bc I had no insurance I gained 25lbs in 2mths :( now im back on them and I cant lose the weight to save my life. Im very depressed. Has anyone else had this problem?
started taking topamax on jan 31 for migrains and love the result. have not had any headaches since beginning the drug, lost about 15 pounds, but have not had a period since?? has anyone else experienced anything like this. i've been to the gyno and they ran prego tests and blood work. everything came back negative. Had a miscarriage in early december, so the jan 31 period was my first and only cycle after the miscarriage. Just wondering if the topamax combined with the weightloss would cause me not to menstrate. Strange.
I started Topamax yesterday. The PA-C that prescribed it to me for my severe migraines told me she also takes it and had lost 60 lbs on the medication- which was a total plus for me, but not why I wanted the medication. For all of those saying you have the tingling in your hands and feet, my doc says to drink a carbonted beverage when that happens.  She says the bicarbonates will help resolve the tingling.  I haven't had any side effects yet (other than not really being hungry... we'll see if that changes tomorrow when I go back to work and stress eat all day) but will remember the soda trick when/if I do get the tingling sensation.
I have been working out for the past two months in the gym but until i was put on topamax i had only lost 18 pounds. I have been taking 25mg twice daily for about two and a half weeks. I started at 325 and now weigh 290 35 pounds! I have had no major side effects beside having a dry throat and I will absolutely NOT drink sodas anymore only water. My moods have been wonderful and I have been happier than ever!
I just started topamax and I feel like my face or chin is being pulled down. I feel fuzzy at times. Let me correct that they increased my dosage to 100mg from 50mg. I was on paxil and elavil which made me gain 20 pounds and I am so upset .I have had horrible headaches no one told me those two meds would cause me to gain weight. Now I am on this new medication. I do notice the taste in soda that taste horrible I have been drinking lots of water. I also notice foods that I have eaten that I loved I no longer like as if I was pregnant again same thing with smells. Has anybody had these problems I am very curious I have not noticed any weight loss yet and was wondering if there is weight loss when did this occur for others... Ty
Trying not to get depressed
I am also on Topamax for Medical Migraines. I started taking it last year and lost 40lbs when I didn't need too. I stopped taking it because I lost so much hair, I was off it for 6 months. My mirgaines came back worse than before and I got severe acne and started using Proactive to help. When I got back on Topamax I gained almost 20lbs back and have worse mirgaines than before....One thing I think ya'll need to be careful with (yeah weight loss is always good) is if you are planning on having a baby STOP taking it right away. Because it DOES cause birth defects. PLEASE BECAREFUL EVERYONE!!!!!
I have been on Topamax for almost two months now. 100 mg a day. I still have the tingle in my hands, especially when I smoke. My soda still tastes weird, but I have found that diet soda tastes like my regular now, so in my brain that is fine with me. I have lost almost 20 pounds. I have had only one migrane (migraine) since taking the drug. In reference to the confusion though. I have it A LOT! I have found if I split my pills up I'm less confused. I take one (25 mg) during the day (breakfast) and I take three (75 mg) in the afternoon (dinner). I sleep better and less confused in front of my coworkers. I'm better through out the day and at work, which is needed. I'd rather be better during the day when it counts than at home, where confusion is okay. Hope this helps everyone out!! And my doctor told me that I was perfectly okay to do this too. Ask yours and see.
Ok..I took my first 25 mg dosage of topomax (topamax) before bed last night. I drink a diet coke everyone morning. This morning I immediately noticed that my diet coke tasted flat. Is it possible that it kicked in that quick?  I'm also very concerned about the hair loss. I am african american and har growth is already very difficult. I am taking it for weight loss as a counter to my weight gain due to anti-depressants. Should I really start taking this stuff?
I'm on my 3rd week of Topamax.  I was supposed to up the dosage from 25 to 50, 75 then 100, but I can't imagine the side effects getting worse so I'm afraid to.  Yes, I used to love my diet coke, but I can't stand it anymore.  Its not just you!  :)  But also there's a metallic dryness in my mouth that won't go away.  I feel dehydrated all they time.  I had my first total mental lapse the other day, which I was told to watch for.  Nothing scary.  And I have the tingling in my feet, hands, and occasionally lips.  Mostly in the mornings and mostly after I exercise.  However I'm freaking out because today my pinky nails suddenly have started to look like they're going to fall off!! And all this talk about hail loss is scaring me.  I'm vain about my hair.  I used to have migraines about 20x a month.  I have been on Imitrex for 16 years.  I'm 40 years old.  I am having success with the topamax.
hi...
I just started taking Topamax on May 24th and iam already starting to having side effects..always thirsdty but water tastes bad to me .tinglings and burnings of feet and hands lips and face and weight loss and hating my fav diet soda and not wanting to eat but the good part is my headache is gone at times i dont get everyday like usuale and as u can see cant spell right or focus sometimes and stays sleep m,ost of of my day got fired becuace of my coindition iam bioplor mood swinger just filled for disabililty
I have been on Topamax for 2 weeks now and I've lost 8 pounds.  I haven't had the tingling in my hands and feet yet but I do have the SEVERE dizziness and confusion.  Espescially when I went up to the 50 mg dosage.  The other day I went to pick up my son from his friends house (that I had gone to MANY times before) and I was so confused that I almost got lost.  It was so scary.  I decided I better start taking this medication at night, right before bedtime.  Soda is definatly tastes horrible, and although I seem to be hungry, the thought of food almost makes me gag and I can only take a few bites.  Im taking Topamax for daily headaches but the first signs of hair loss I have... bye bye Topamax!!
I am now on my 2nd month of Topamax, now taking 125mg/day, 50 in the morning and 75 at night.  I have the tingling in the hands, feet, nose, and lips.  I also experience the confusion,  not knowing the word i am trying to say and the general feeling of dumbness (which is hate). I am finding it increasingly difficult to perform my daily job functions and it *****.  But on the up side, i havent had a migraine in about 2 weeks; i was getting them about once or twice a week lasting about 3 days each time.  At this point I just dont know which is worse, the disease or the cure =(
I started taking topamex in April slowly at 25 mg increments up to 75 mg couldn't take the 100 mg because it made me too tired. The doctor wanted me to take 2 pills at night and 2 pills in morning- no weight loss very disappointed need to lose 20 lbs.! The only thing i can think of is I take prozac and that is counteracting with the drug. I exercise and eat healthy and have alot of muscle. Why am I not losing the weight like everyone else?
Ive been on topamax since for 2 months now. i've lost roughly 11-15lbs (fluctuates) I was prescribed topamax because i had a mini stroke in april because of migraines. now my migraines are almost nonexistent. Its a miracle. I've been struggling with migraines since i was 10, I am 19 now and finally I feel normal. The only side effects Ive noticed (good and bad) are weight loss, loss of appetite, occasional tingling, subtle mood swings, and insomnia. Not all of these are every day but they do happen often enough to be a pattern. Overall, I am super happy with topamax and I take each day as it comes =]
I have been taking 400 mgs of Topamax for 3 years and I have noticed my hair thinning a lot. It really comes out in the shower. I wasn't sure if it was the Topamax or stress or what? But I can't go back to having the terrible migraines even though I still have some form of a headache everyday. Have you tried any hair growth shampoos like rogaine or anything? If so did it work? I just try to spray root enhancers on my scalp and deep conditioning masks. But its not cool at all!!
Ive been on Topamax since June 10, 2011 for migraines and have lost (10 days) 12lbs already, Ive had the tingling in my hands and some odd tingling on my tounge too.  Havent noticed my hair shedding as of yet,  I am having some trouble sleeping, feeling tired alot more than usual, of course due to the lack of sleep.
I would just like to comment to those self prescribing. BE CAREFUL, this drug is meant to be taken under a doctor's care, it is not approved for long term use for weight loss and can cause permanent damage to your body. Topamax is meant to be taken at small dosages and worked up, but you must follow how your doctor prescribes it. Everyone is different, and everyone has a different immune system. Everyone's body breaks down medicine differently and you can very easily take a medicine that your body can't handle. So just be careful. Also depending on where you live...it is illegal and you can serve some serious prison time for taking medicine that was not prescribed to you. Always be safe.
I  am 21 years old an have been on topamax for 3 months now and am on 50mg of topamax a day (2 pills at night). I have am eplileptic and experience petit-mal seizures, that in return cause  mingraines and I also experience mingraines without having a seizure.
So far I have experience tingling in my feet and hands (only in the morning it seems). I have noticed a slight weight loss (my clothes are fitting a little better). I have also not seen any abnormal hair loss although i wouldnt notice i have enough hair on my head for 3 people.

Q:I was curious if anyone who is taking topamax is on birth control and if they have noticed any side effects with that?
Hello everyone:
I am a migraine suffer since I was 15. I have tried everything under the sun and was just placed on Topamax 2 1/2 weeks ago. I was also prescribed Maxalt (the kind that you place on your tongue and melt). I noticed that the Maxalt was not really helping me when I got a migraine. I happened to look at the package and noticed in parentheses that a component of this kind of Maxalt is Aspartame! Which for most migraine sufferers especially for me is a major trigger for a migraine.  So, If you take Maxalt that melts on your tongue, please keep that in mind. I mentioned it to my Neurologist and he did not even know that and was quit surprised. The drug that worked for me when I had a migraine was Frova but when I had to go on my husbands insurance the cost was crazy. 200.00 for 28 pills so my doctor suggester Amerge which is in the same class as Frova and Amgerge comes in a generic form. I had a migraine this week, I took the Amerge and it worked. I seem to wake up with my migraines so they are harder to get rid of and the Amerge worked within 3 hours. After reading all the comments on the Topamax I hopeful that my migraines will decrease with time and I will experience weight loss as well. I have not lost weight so far but it has only been 2 1/2 weeks and I'm on 50 mg once a day. I have had the tingling in my hands but it goes away and I just started noticing mild tingling in my face at night. Nothing that would make me stop taking the medication. Thank you all for all your comments because it really helps to know that I am not the only one going through all this. Best to all of you:)
Question when you're on Topomax (topamax) to lose weight are you suppost to change the style of how you eat?
I just started taking Topamax, This is actually my first day and have had severe diarreha, does this ever stop or subside?   I am taking Topamax for severe Tremors as well as Zoloft, Clonazapan & Lortab.   I am taking 6novacaine shots in my neck weekly hopefully not forever.    But I feel the Topamax has actually started a small bit on my tremors and want to continue. But can not handle the unbearable runs>  Please tell me this will go away:-)
well after having mirgraines 6 out of 7 days the Dr. put me on Topomax (topamax) I start tomorrow. Has anyone taken this while being on cymbalta? I have read all the other drugs used for depression or anexity so I was wondering how the 2 mix together? Paula  <
I am from little ole New Zealand - hello out there. I have been on Topamax for 4 months now. I have been suffering from Migraines for about 20 years - it seems to be a hereditary thing-my grandmother used to get them so bad her head would bruise....anyway, we can't fight our lot in life. My old amitryp pills stopped working and I was having a migraine every day - not great when I work full time and have two kids to look after. So my doc put me on Topamax - working my way slowly up to 100mg which I choose to take all at night. I have been on this pill for 4 months now. The amazing thing is that I haven't had a single migraine - I have had the aura , but the migraine hasn't appeared-yippee. I have lost weight- I actually became manic with exercise because I didn't like the weight I gained with the previous meds, so I would exercise 1 1/2 hours a day (getting up at 5.30 in the morn). I maintained an average weight. Now I am not hungry-which can be an issue in itself. I haven't weighed myself, but I have had to buy new jeans as the old ones were falling off me. The bad thing though is that I have become a dfferent person - confused, moody, depressed - sometimes I don't even want to get out of bed. I used to laught alot - now I don't. I used to get excited about things - now I can't. I am finding that I am having to decide whether to cope with being bigger with a bad head or smaller with better head but crappy homelife.........my husband and kids are great, but there is only so much irrational yelling and crying that they can handle....this *****.....
I took myself off of this drug due to the "dopamax" side effects. I am going back to school and wanted to have a clear head and do well. I gained about 10 pounds, started biting my nails, more irritable, etc. Today I decided to go back on. I cannot take the weight gain!! I didnt think about it but I popped the 150mg that I was normally on and felt like C-R-A-P! Tomorrow I'll start at a lower dose. I NEED the weight loss because I am a model on the side.
How fast did you all see the weight start to drop?? Im so fed up with it. I'm just going to make sure that I'm hitting the books hard and testing myself well with study groups. Thanks in advance for the response!
-Desperate
me too!! I took myself off of it to be clear headed for school! I gained about 10 pounds and am miserable! It seems I cant stop eating either and all i think about is food! I made the decision to go back on it today (My dr never even knew I went off of it for a month) I took the dosage of 150mg that I was on before and boy that was a mistake! I felt HORRIBLE! Tomorrow I'll start on a smaller dose. What did you decide to do??
I have been on topamax for 2 day's (25mg) I picked up 11kgs in 5 weeks when I was on Epilem 800mg a day and now I cant get rid of that weight. At what mg will I start losing weight with Topamax?
I self prescribe almost everything I take.  I research a LOT.  Then I decide if I think something is appropriate for me.  Then I order it.  My doctor will usually give me anything I ask for anyway, an sometimes it is just easier than making an appointment.  Doctors do a lot of guessing when they prescribe.  At least if I do all of the research first, I know what I am in for.  I have found that doctors will prescribe, prescribe, prescribe...there is a pill for everything!  My medicine cabinet used to read like some of these postings, with eleventeen different prescriptions.  Now, I am on nothing and considering Topamax for nightmares and weight loss.  Be smart.  It is YOUR body and YOUR life.  
I love Maxalt.    works really well for me.     I had been taking topamax for  migraines,  The first time I took it I lost about 60 lbs very quickly.  I started it again two years later and no weight loss.     I want to try it again,  Has anyone stopped taking topamax and started again with no weight loss ?
1 month later 40 mg of Celexa 10lbs heavier.  My doctor added 50 mg of TMax.  I have already felt the side of effects of different taste of certain foods and drinks. I hope in the days to follow that I can write back and report I have lost weight.  I just begggg I don't gain anymore weight.
I've been on topamax for about a year now. I take it for siatic (sciatic) pain which is caused by a bulging disc in my l4-l5 and narrowing in one of my facet joints which also puts presure on some other nerves which together cause a tremendous amount of pain and it does help. I have lost quit a bit of weight and am having problems with some of the other side effects. But I have been on ever other anticonvulsant for nerve pain and this is the last one they can try. And the side effects aren't anywhere as bad as the others I have been on. I am having problems with memory and the tingling in my hands but this drug is a calcium blocker. My doctor informed me to up my calcium intake while on this medication to help with the tingling and it does help. I am only 28 years old in case any one was wondering so I don't have calcium problems like older women do.  It has also helped with my headaches tremendously, the benifets of this medication out weigh the side effects in my opinion. But it verys form person to person and it's a decion that you and your doctor have to make. I hope that this helps anyone with questions about this medication.
Hi,Like you I take more than 20 pills a day.  I think I 'm the only person that has not lost weight with Topomax (topamax) and I started with 200mg for migranes (migraines).  I had a stroke due to severe migranes (migraines), stress, smoking I was was just 46 yrs old, migraines are not to be taken likely.  And to answer your question about finding relief for your migraines BOTOX  It was a God sent.  The First round of BOTOX was in June,2011,  i will see mi Neuro In Jan 2012 If had maybe 2 headaches, not migraines.  Hope this helps, still trying to loose the weight.
I was taking the Brand (Generic) made by Apotex and I lost weight, my migraines were under control and I felt great. This company has suspended their production of this for the time being (no answer as to why) and I was switch to the Generic by Campher. Campher does not work, my headaches do not  away and I have not lost any weight. All generics are not created equal.

Can people that have lost weight let me know the brand that they are taking that has helped them loose the weight and kept your migraines away? Thank you so much :D
I was on Topomax (topamax) for 2 years (2001-2003) and then stopped because my migraines were completely gone.  I lost 65 pounds without trying!!!  I did have the numbness and tingling feet and hands at first along with it in my face!  I also went through a period where I felt like my mind was racing REALLY fast and multiple thoughts at a time!  It was quite weird but that subsided!

I have a doctors appointment tomorrow morning to talk about going back on Topomax (topamax)!  I've slowly started experiencing migraines again over the last year!  Since Jan 1st 2012, I've had three migraines, this last one was 3 days long!!!  I'm hoping to go back on Topomax (topamax) to get rid of them!
I have taken Topomax (topamax) myself once in the past and I personally would ask your doctor to take you off of it if you do not need it. Sorry that you are experiencing these sideeffects it is quite a strong medicine :( good luck.
Rose
I just recently started on topomax (topamax) 3 days ago, and I also get the tingles/numbness on my face and nose. My friend who use to be on topomax (topamax) told me to eat some potassium (Bananas, oranges, etc) and it helps ALOT! :) I ate a banana and 10 minutes later the tingling in my face was gone.

Hope this helps!

Good luck

-Christa
I just started taking the generic form of Topamax called Topiramate and I was wondering if anyone else was on this one and if the weight loss was the same or if it would be much less because it's generic
I to have recently started topamax for severe migraines. I took topamax many years ago and did not stay on it very long b/c of abdominal pain but my new MD suggest it to me and started me on the 25mg dose tapering me to the 100mg dose daily. I am in week 4 starting the 100mg dose a day and has already started feeling the dizziness and nauseated feeling. This is also the week for my cycle and there is no signs of that. I was already experiencing the tingling and numbness in the face, hands and feet. Recently I started with extreme dizziness and severe pain to the back of my head. I had a MRI and blood work which determined that I had swelling and inflammation on my brain and I was then started on steroid shots and additional pain medication along with the topamax and forinal 150mg that I was already taking. My MD stated that the topamax would help with the migraines and help with the weight loss b/c i am over weight. I have not experience any weight loss yet and this is wk 4 for me on the generic topamax and no relief with the migraines. I no that the forinal makes you gain weight so I am going to stop taking that besides its not really helping me with the migraines. I go back to my MD march 12 and I'm sure he will increase the topamax.  Has anybody every which to the regular topamax and found that it works better for migraines and weight loss?
I have been on this generic brand myself for about 3 or 4 mths now, and have had the tingling, and sadly, no weight loss. I am taking 4 25mg pills aday to prevent migraines. I do lose my concentration at times, but honestly, can't say if it has worsened because of the med only! I would love to lose 60 pounds, and didn't know about that effect until recently. Am disappointed it hasn't worked for me, but it does seem to help with the migraines. Would love to know how it works for you.
are you still on the topomax (topamax)?  Is it still helping with your fibromyalgia.  Did you continue to loose weight with it as well?  Your answers and suggestions would be appreciated.

Jo Ann
After almost dying in a roll over accident I had major head trauma and 3 disc replaced in my neck along with numerous other broken bones...after months of rehab among other problems came migraines..i'm on 100mg both in the am and pm...and yes it comes with the aweful side effects with loss of thought and words. I was already a small person, and from the accident came weight loss, but the topamax dropped me even lower than I should have been initially leaving me weak and interfering with my recovery. As a registered dietician, I hope that everyone that I've read taking topamax for solely weight loss has weighed ALL their other options before popping a prescription drug.
Hi there...I have been on it for a couple of weeks now and just increased from 25 2x day to 25 am and 50 pm and just started the tingling in the face and fingers.  I was concerned about the face and was happy to read about you having it too!  I read it is normal and will subside after time.  Good luck!
I have just started topamax for the second time in my life. My first dose will be tonight.  Several years I saw a neuorologist who told me that this drug can make you feel "stupid"....I didn't take it then.  Today I mentioned this to my doc and he said at the lower doses that should not happen...I would go back to the doc, who can live like that.  I also take an anti-depressent.  YIKES
I too have taken topamax in the past, was up to 200 mg for migraine with vertigo, then tried to decrease down to 25mg., due to the brain fogginess, gained all of the 25 pounds i lost back.  Migraines and vertigo so bad, had to dose back up and am now at 100 mgs a day, but guess what, not a single pound lost.  I am very disappointed and worried about when I ever go off what will happen as I am now a real fatty, lol
I've been on and off of Topamax and have dealt with the tingling.  I drink Pedialyte.  The sensation is a reduction of electrolytes in your body.  Pedialyte has the highest concentration without all the extra stuff they put in the sports drinks.
Good evening,
I was put on Topomax (topamax) about a month ago to help with migraines, I am now at my dose of 100mg. I've been dealing with the tingly fingers and feet which is slowly getting better, sadly not the weight loss I'm reading about here. But I'm hypothyroid and we're having a very hard time getting it under control. Still hopeful the topomax (topamax) will help with this.

My biggest question is about agitation, every night I feel like I am going to crawl out of my skin. It is HORRIBLE, and I don't know what it's from. It typically gets better after I've taken my topomax (topamax) (I take mine at night) and klonopin. Does anyone else deal with this? Does it get better?
My son suffers terribly from migraines and takes Inderal 40 mg twice daily.  Maybe once a month he gets migraine.
Hi there. This will be my 2nd round on Topomax (topamax). I was on it in 2007, after I had my 3rd child. Its used to treat migraines and is an assister in bipolar patients(me). The first time I was put on it I started losing weight in about 2 weeks after I started it. Mainlt because it makes food taste dull, bland , and sodas had NO carbonation... AT least I couldnt taste it... but I went from 270(delivery weight) to 212. in less than 6 months. after about 2 yrs I was worked up to 200mg, and once my body got usd to the medicine I began slowly gaining my weight back. I began tasting food regularly again. Hope this helps. :)
If you get hair loss, you will always get hair loss the cure is a selenium and zinc defiency per my neuroligist. Look on-line for some herbal hair loss pills that contain 100 to 150 percent of the daily dosage of these as well as hair loss herbs. Make sure horsetail, kelp and milk thistle are included. This along with an increase in protein will stop the hair loss and start to reverse it. The only thing is that it will also slow down weight loss to about 2 to 3 pounds per month but it will also make it easier to keep off when not lost extremely fast. This is from a three time topomax (topamax) user. All three times with the hair loss problem.
I went from 140 pounds to 98. Yes, it works.
biotin from the health food store will deal with thte hair loss. good luck, hopefully y dr will allow me to try the topamax its worht the side effects but i have read that biotin is the key to the hair loss issue   good luck
continue the biotin znd consider b12 replacement therapy,i have heard the biotin has to be taken regulaar with the topamax to preevent the hair loss
good luck
your appetite ill comp;etely fade, make sure everything you each is healthy for you, to prevent muscle wasting, high protien good. stay away from sugar, but dont do ketosis diets, you can keep your carbs down say under 50 or 40 and this will help--be patient, i a stqrting topamax tomorrow and I to have about 55 lbs to lose, my friend is taking topamax and she says the appetitite is similar to when you are not feeling well and food is a turn off.
good luck and i hope it works for you
dee
wow you have a huge list, try to get off the narcs and all the other stuff but wean off slowly,, down to one anti depressant and topamax I was on a ton of meds after a whiplash injury 4 years ago and i could not get up i gained 25lbs then and then this year i broke my sternum in a car accident was off for 6 months gaind another 20ls, i have managed to lose 15 on my own but thats it. I am taking valium for anxiety, but very little, and i hope to start topamax tomorrow. those other drugs will interfere with the effects of the topamax, so wean off carefully  good luck and get up off the couch as much as possible
keep your eye open about the drug qnexa, combo of phentermine and topamax, hopefully july 17 it will be fda approved for weight loss for bi of 30 or more or other weight causing problems too, You need a prescription for topamax but it is also given for mood disorders which most of us have when we are overweight. try not to have any other meds or ssri antidepressants , we all know gain weight is a huge issue with these. go to your dr and get a psych referral to get the drug, hopefully it will work, good luck
get biotin from health food store to offst the weight loss. also i tale a greaat vitamin supplement for b12 and i tale omega3  hope this helps
get biotin from the health food store it will stop the hair thinnning and get a good vitain replacement good b12 replacement too. eat protien with each eal and no sweets good uck
take biotin replacement fromthe healthnfood store to stop hair loss
take biotin supplements and b12 good vitamins good protien and low sugar good luck
how long did it take you to lose all that weight?
Everything u said I have also experinced. After taking the Topamax the first night I couldn't even drink any soda the next day since I took it right before bed or i am sure I would have not drink any that night a few hours later. I have also lost 53 pounds but I didn't realize it was because of topamax, so that is why I am on here I decided to do a little research. But it has helped with my migraines, but my doctor put me on it for mood swings and depression. I take 400 mg a day now and that is as of june 5th 2012 and just 2 days ago I recently lost 4 pounds in 2 days but I have noticed my hair seems to be just falling out and I'm not talking while I am brushing it either. I am only 30 years old and I am gonna be bald before i know it but thats something I will have to bring up to my doctor next month to see if maybe its the medicine because she also has me on wellbutrin as well.
I was on topamax last year they had me at 100mg. x 4 a day... my hair started falling out with in the month i lost most of my hair..i had long dark hair.then i was bald..had to wear wigs for 6 months until hair grew back..
I had the hair loss as well, and I'm a STYLIST so I was freaking. I noticed it first in the front/bang area. I have since gottn off of it because I am starting a family and started using Redken's Intra Force or fine and thinning hair ( my hair is NOT fine but I did lose a large amount)  it has helped so much and mixed with prenatal vitamins it is growing in thick and healthy! Hope this helps!!!
I too have fibro and have managed 10 minutes of beginning pilates and thats it.  The other meds I am on have put so much weight on me.  I have never weighed this much which makes for worse depression.  I just started topamax today.  It has made me very groggy.  I have slept most of the day. I pray for weight loss. I am also taking it as a mood stabilizer.  The extra weight makes the pain worse and makes my acid reflux worse too.  I feel ike such a whiner sometimes.
It is absolutely not true you will always have hair loss. I list half of my head of hair for the first 18 months of taking Topomax (topamax). But its grown back now ad I came off of it and went back on and it didn't happen a 2nd time.
I notice the same soda phenomenon!
Did you ever get an answer to your post about the generic? I am just getting started on it tonight. How did you do? I am thinking of adding Biotin tomorrow for the hair loss comments, just in case. Kind of a scary drug to get started on!
Yes. I work as a CPhT and I can tell you that these are the same thing. No worries. You and your insurance company are just saving money on the drug.
Sorry didn't see this reply. As I just posted. The generic is the same thing. No worries.
I just started Topamax yesterday. I am doing the 25mg x7d then 50mg x7d etc til I'm at 100mg. I'm on it for migraine prevention. I am on a high dose of Wellbutrin and I also have fibromyalgia so I get severe headaches/migraines at least 3-4 days a week. It just has become so hard to deal with at this point. So I was put on the Topamax with Relpax as a PRN. Took a Relpax yesterday when I started the Topamax and headache was gone within half an hour. I was on Imitrex but it stopped working. And I needed more than a PRN. I can't be on anything with caffeine (ie Fioricet) because that makes the headaches worse.

Also, in case any ladies didn't know, if you are on Topamax and birth control USE A BACK UP. Your healthcare provider or pharmacist should have brought this to your attention but in case they didn't I am now.

I am worried about the hair loss because I already have a problem with hair loss but we will see. Also, I've noticed I have severe diarrhea already. My appetite hasn't decreased but since my first dose anything I eat goes right through me. Which could be a problem because I have been warned if I lose much more weight while trying out the Topamax I will immediately be switched to a different medication to try.
Has anyone had such an instant side effect with their digestive system?
I was on tomax before and back on it again and i was down to 119 when i was on the medicine before i have been off the medicine since oct 11 and back up to 137 but i am not on it for the weight loss i am on it fo the pevention of migirianes which have been debelatating. and i have only been back on it for a day and already got the tingling in my hands and feet and didnt want to getup this morning cause so tired tired..
I'm 46 and I have migraines I have been prescribed propranolol they upped me to 80 mg twice a day been on this for about four years due to a herniated disc in my neck and a was given a bottle of Topamax 50 mg didn't know if that was safe to take I've been wanting to try it and also for weight loss but I still get recurrent migraines that put me down for about 5 to 6 days so I would really like to try this but not sure if it's worth the risk or if I can take it with Proponalol and estradiol which is hormone replacement
I have been on Topamax for a while at 100 mg for migraines which  works well, also on Lyrica for nerve and back pain, and have gained weight. I am 6'4" and 340lbs. Doctor tells me it is because of the Lyrica and is going to raise the Topamax up to 400mg 25 a week and get me off the Lyrica . I am also on Wellbutran  to keep me calm and cool and out of jail LOL.
So my question is 400mg to much? has anyone been on that much before?
Hello I have been on Topamax since June 2010 worked up to 100mg (50mg 2X day) for me I have have had horrible stomach problems including stomach pains and diarrhea and many other side effects however not dealing with the migraines has been a god send. I have had no proof yet any of my stomach issues are related to the Topamax. My dr's think it may be IBS or some type of IBD. Hope this helps just be aware.
i take 25mg per day
i think its about a month or more
and im feeling more control of my hunger
and prolly lost few pounds, but not that significantly
i wonder what would happen if i increase the doses
prolly lose more weight and faster
i just wanted to feel more energetic
i felt like it helped me in a way
like i was able to search for work and train in a store, which i dont think i could have done without it...
but im scared that I get slow at speaking and with short memory if i increase the dose...but im curious to know what would it feels like
im also been able to go out "sober"
i dont drink when i go out, and, well, i dont have as much fun
but in the past , i would not even see that as option
you are on a very low dose, which means your migraines are not that severe or your Dr. is working your dosage up to a tolerable level. I have been on Topamax for years now, and I currently take up to 400mg per day. I am a chronic severe case. In the beginning I could not keep weight on, but It was not unil I got up to about 100 mg per that that I was actually losing weight. I am not a really big person as it is, but the Topamax at this point for me basically maintains more that helps me lose at this point.
I have been on Topamax for two months now 100mg. I am on it for three reasons (grand-mal, partial tonic-clonic seizures, and migraines). I am having several symptoms.  I have the dizziness, the tingling, the loss of appetite (losing about 20lbs a month). I take Vitamin B12 and Pantothenic Acid to stop the tingling (both over the counter) but I was born with seizures and if at almost twenty-five this is the first seizure medicine that I am not allergic to I will gladly take the side side affects over the seizures. Hope that tip helped.
I have all of those symptoms. I'm on 400mg a day. It actually has me scared ,I have kids and I am so afraid that I am going to lose one of them (misplace them lol). When I send texts messages to my friends they don't understand anything I am saying. No one ever understands me. If you are taking this medication for anything other than epilepsy or migraines then stop taking it. Do not take it for weight loss your sanity is worth more than losing weight I promise the 10 pounds I lost in the last 6 months I would take back for my sanity in a heartbeat and I was looking at other stories and years after they stopped taking the drug ppl were still having memory problems. Please research this further before your memory gets worse.
yes major hair loss on 50 mg twice a day lost 30 lbs and tingling and some loss of sensation in my fingers
I'm on topamax 25 2 daily and for the first time my blood work came back with a 7.7 gyco   Dr. says I'm a diabetic. Possibility from topamax? thank you
hi was just wondering what you ment by "trails" are you still on topamax how are you gettin on with it? ive been on it not for nearly 7 weeks on week 2 of 100mg worried about some of the side effects.... thanks
hi ive been on topamx now for nearly 6 weeks only been on 100mg for 6 days i was wondering if the adjatation got any better for you its driving me crazy along with the other side effects
My doc put me on Topiramate 50mg once daily.  He did not specify morning or night.  He prescribed it because I was having severe headaches & he thought the side effect of losing weight was good for me because I do need to lose a bit.  No other comments from him - not even if I should take in AM or PM.  So, I took before bed & laid awake all night paranoid.  I stayed on it for 2 weeks continuing to have headaches.  Lost no weight, just sleep. He put me on Lyrica with the same results. This "professional" diagnosed me with Fiibromyalgia, epilepsy & anxiety so he could use the proper code for the insurance company to justify the drug.  I waited 2 years for a job with the TSA and when finally called I was rejected because of this inaccurate diagnosis.  

Since then I have changed docs & it seems my headaches are from a nerve issue in my neck from a previous injury. Fiorinal has worked OK but my doc doesn't want me on these pain meds forever.  So, he is recommending Topiramate.  This time I smartened up and came online to get info - that's how I found your board.  This time I am starting 25mg 2x day & crossing my fingers.
I was first prescribed Topamax several weeks ago, but I've never been prescribed to a daily medication so I was scared and didn't start it until a week ago! I get 1-2 migraines per week most likely due to my scoliosis/spinal fusion and Imitrex just wasn't working anymore after 4 years of being on it. I'm also about 25 lbs. overweight so I was pretty excited to hear about the weight loss side effect! I'm doing 50mg/day for 2 weeks, then going up to 100mg/day. The first 6 days I didn't notice a difference except the pins and needles in my legs and feet, but I thought that was from my back, then I was like duh dummy, check the side effects!! So yeah, hopefully that will go away soon. And over the past two days my appetite has dropped. Other than that, I've felt kind of a positive mood too, not something natural. Maybe you guys know what I mean? It's nice at least! Here's hoping to stop having migraines and lose 20 lb. doing it!
I have been on Topamax on and off since Feb of 2011 I really have mixed feelings about it.

Pros:
Weight Loss: I started at 305 lbs, I am now at 240 and still dropping.
Headaches: Without it, I have almost constant head pain, on then, I am able to control the pain, even able to go some days without taking a narcotic.

Cons:
Memory issues: I have memory loops, sometimes I speak or even type like a broken record, so I have to read what I write before I press send because I have even typed things 2, even 4 times (like the same 4 exact words right in a row over and over again) and I do it when speaking too. So I have to be careful that my train stays on track because it derails VERY easily.
Taste:  Sada tastes like someone vomited in it, right from the first pill and gets worse with each dose until by the second week, I can no longer stand it, I can't drink soda anymore. And GOD FORBID I grab the wrong cup (someone else's by mistake and grab a big swig of if, YUCK!!!)
Tingling: Hands, feet, face, especially my nose and lips.
Lightheadedness: this is the best I can do to describe it, though this is not exactly accurate. It is more like I am on a roller coaster at any one point in time and no one told me.

I go on and off of my Topamax as I can handle it, but my GP is aware of this fact, however. I LOVE my Mountain Dew, HOWEVER, I hate the headaches as equally as much as I love my Mountain Dew. If I could find a drug that I could drink my Mountain Dew on, yet be headache free on, I could compromise on the weight lose. Really I could, since that is just a happy bonus for me. When I am off of it for the 4-6 weeks that I take a Vaca from it, I still lose weight, just not as quickly. I think my body has adjusted to the new eating habits by now, since I was never really a big sweets fan to begin with.

By my big issue with the Topamax is not just with soda, it is ANYTHING carbonated. It does NOT taste flat, as some have stated, it tasted like someone vomitted in it. It is like taking a drink of soda after you have thrown up and you still have some vomit or stomach acid in your mouth. Like you are trying to wash that taste out, but that taste never goes away. Hubby even got a soda stream machine, thinking if he added carbonation using CO2 that it would work and I could drink THAT kind of soda. NOPE!!! Even that tastes off.

So, if anyone can think of a cure for this, I would be happy:(
Imitrex is not a preventive and you have to take it within 15 min of headache beginning, which sometimes is hard because you are not sure if it just a headache or a migraine. That being said I cannot take it anymore because it caused a migraine metamorphosis stroke, when I could take it it did wonders when I could take it on time,now I have to try and prevent them and topamax does not work for me, after ALOT of trial and error with my dr we finally found a combo that works for me the key is to narrow down what brings them on which for me is 1.stress and nerves followed by 2. different smells so my combo won't necessarily work for the next person, also with the way everybody has come down on dr.'s for certain meds it is hard to get one with an open mind. Which is because so many people abuse meds these days which makes it very hard and unfair for those of us who needs it
I've lost 129 lbs. If you drink cokes, I'm a Texan so cokes means EVERY soda there is. I weighed 300lbs. I was drinking a 3 liter Coca Cola a day. I was not on Adderall (adderrall) yet. I sold my car, started eating nutritious food and walked or rode the bus. I still do. Now I have a bike. I've been on Adderall (adderrall) for 5 years. In 2011 I was down from 300 to 155 until a LAME *** DOCTOR put me on Lyrica. I gained 40lbs in a month. I've still not lost that. Last January I had gotten back up to 198. I am now at (or was on the 13th of last month) 171. I just saw an article in Health magazine about Topamax and phentermine. But since I'm on the Add I landed here @ this forum from Google. I've got Topamax and will start it today after reading all of these great posts. Wish me luck! My next dr. appt is on the 13th - next week. I'll let you know what the scale says.
Now about drinking the sodas: The minute I quit drinking them I dropped 30 lbs. And for ya'll that drink diet cokes - STOP NOW - studies have shown that people who drink diet weigh more than people who drink regular ones. The brain cannot tell sugar from artificial sweeteners. STOP PUTTING THOSE AWFUL CHEMICALS IN YOUR BODIES! I have one every now and then and I feel bloated and a FART ALOT.
I'll see ya next week with the 'Results Of The Scale'. Sounds like a soap opera doesn't it?  

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice,

I'm in the UK where apparently not a lot is known about topamax so my gp is pretty much tied and just going with what the neurologist says. I started with daily headaches about 7 and a half months ago.

Been on the topamax 3-4 weeks now and seem to be having all the nasty side effects with none of the benefits.  Have the tingling in my hands and feet.  My face tingles, especially my lips and feels really sensitive, even my hair when it blows in the wind feels sore, I've reduced the dose slightly and that does seem to have to have helped.  Think we went up the meds too quickly and was just too much for my body to handle.  Had THE worst stomach pain I've ever had on Monday night, thought I was going to end up in hospital, I've never had a baby but could imagine it was worse than labour, thanfully it passed within about 20 minutes and touch wood I havent had it since then. All of this I could probably deal with if it was helping with the headaches but it's not, if anything I feel they're worse. I feel like I'm wearing a helmet thats 3 sizes too small for my head and is crushing my skull, a real pressure headache. It's not always that bad, usually on a night, from 5pm onwards but the last week it's never really gone away. I'm not convinced it's cluster migraines but have told we have to give the topamax 6-8 weeks before we can try something else.

So, my question really is when you all started on the topamax was the relief immediate or did it take months to have an effect?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Becky
To Anyone,

I just started the drug today, 50 mg but after reading all these posts, I decided I can't take the risk of the eye or memory side effects. I was prescribed it for the horrible migraines I've had since I was 17, I'm now 51, can't risk the memory issues. I hope just taking 2 pills and stopping cold won't matter, it shouldn't right?
this is for all of you. i had to have surgery and was in a hurry for it in such a hurry i drove my counselor nuts she finally helped me out by putting me on topamax.  i did as she said starting at 25 mg the first week then 50 the second week then 75 the third week and finally 100 mg the fourth week. three months later i was in surgery with a weight loss of 90 pounds, my surgery was a breast reduction. Oh boy after surgery i was struttin, and feeling great . weight loss was my only side affect. quess i got lucky after reading about wht all of you went through. nows 7 years has gone by and im going on topamax again. i gained a littleof it back but not a whole lot maybe 25 pounds is all. good luck toall of you and enjoy the weigjht loss.
The tingling in my fingertips for Topamax. I told my doctor didn't answer back.
Viewing 401-566 comments: