dropping the Effexor/Lexapro weight gain
Can anyone give me an idea of how long it usually takes for your metabolism to recalibrate after stopping Effexor and/or Lexapro?  I've gained significant weight while on these drugs (despite an intense exercise program and careful diet).  My nutritionist and MD told me that the drugs likely altered my metabolism, but no one can tell me how long it will take to correct that.  Most frustrating, I've noticed that since I stopped taking both, my weight gain has accelerated.  Any ideas as to how long I need to endure this or ideas for correcting my metabolism?  Thanks.
I have been off Lexapro for a year.  I have changed my diet and started exercising more regularly but I still have my belly fat and can not loose the 10 lbs I gained while on Lexapro.  I have never ever had a problem with belly fat and its really driving me crazy that I can't get rid of it.....

I came across something today that I think I will try...go to www.***********.org and go to the weight loss tab.  I found it really interesting and I think I will try the JNK supplements that this nonprofit recommends.....looks like its all natural too!
Forget the antidepressants- the two best natural anti-depressants are nac and shelled hemp seed- take one 500 mg of nac and one tablespoon of shelled hemp seed three times a day before you take any anti-depressant- these are way more effective and they aren't toxic like the anti-depressants- from an x-antidepressant user who struggled like hell to get off
iiiiiii
I thought I would revisit this site after a year hiatus to share my story. I followed responses religiously as I was enduring the frustration of trying to lose the weight; read everyones' responses looking for a glimmer of hope. Well, I want to let you ALL know that you WILL lose the weight and go back to your pre-effexor.

Here's my story:

Started effexor in July 08 noticed an actual weight loss within the first 3 months of being on it. I was (am) 5'5 117 so I didnt necessarily need to lose the weight but didnt find it alarming. Then all of a sudden around November/December I instantly gained 10 lbs. I never paid much attn to a scale and found it to be weird, but thought maybe it was from age and kind of shrugged it off. Then, came the months of January, Feb, March where I noticed the scale creeping up and up and my clothes getting tighter and tighter. One day I was at the gym and I was 140. I couldn't believe it, 23 lbs ?!?! That cant be right. I was doing NOTHING differently. Come April I decided to jump on the web and start researching if possibly Effexor was the culprit. Within 10 minutes it was abundantly clear, Effexor caused this weight gain :(

I immediately started to ween myself off, did not advise a DR but just took a few pills out a day. My withdrawl was pretty miserable but focused on the light at the end of the tunnel: lose weight! I dropped about 5 lbs within the first week and was stoked. But that was just water weight. Here is where the frustration lied: I worked out, I ate better, I dieted and after 3 more months being cold turkey I still didnt see any loss then from the original 5 lbs. Come July I was frustrated to tears. August maybe saw a lb or 2 come off.

It was around September that things started looking better. I dont know if it was the timing or the counsel of my DR that said I needed to "shock" or wake up my metabolism to get it going again and loose the weight. But I started running, intervals, crazy running. I didnt change my diet at all, just tried to "shock" my body back. FINALLY end of September I think I was down to 128. Then shortly after October I was around 124. Come December I was back to 117.

I think it was a combo of actually shocking my body and timing, but I think it was definitely just timing. You just have to wait it out unfortunately. It felt like around October/November it just fell off literally. Moral of the story: Your body WILL return to its normal state. This weight is what I like to call "fake" weight, medicine weight. Once you have it out of your system and you body is back to performing the way it was pre-effexor the weight will come off.

Just keep the faith, don't beat yourself up because its not coming off as quick as you like. I wouldn't recommend dieting but maybe alternating your workout to see if it quickens the process.  Please know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I lost all the weight about a year ago from now and have not gained a lb back, if anything I lost weight because I kicked started my metabolism so much.

Good luck to all of you. Its a very hard road but you can do it!!!
My story is similar to everyones. The first time around I gained 21 lbs, stopped meds and lost 14 of the 21 in 3 months. I did a lot of cardio, boxing and running. I think the weight came off when it felt like it, not because of the excercise. Prior to A/D s I had borderline 6 pack abs, best shape of my life and then....
Anyway after starting A/Ds for the sceond time, I gained 7 additional lbs for a combined 28 over my "in shape" weight. This time it's been 2 months and not much has come off. I don't even weigh myself cause it gets me going. I've been thinking that since the body didn't put on the weight because of a calorie surplus, then maybe it doesn't recognize it as fat that needs to be burned off and a calorie defecit doesn't do anything. Which means how and when it comes off is up in the air.
I've been on Lexapro 20mg for almost a year now and have put on 25 pounds! And I feel horrible the lexapro definitely helps my depression but all this weight gain is just making me feel worse and worse. I got on antidepressants about 6 months after I had my daughter and now almost a year later I weigh 25 pounds more which is almost what I weighed at my heaviest during my pregnancy ahh I just feel crappy everyday because of this weight gain. Wish I could do something to reverse it while still getting the help I need for my depression!
i am 16, and was wondering if i should take lexapro. i am very active, and play 3 sports.. not good im guessing.. i also have an eating disorder.. so gaining weight wouldnt be good.
So, lately, after 8 years on Lexapro, I quit.  During that time, I went from weighing 150lbs to 178lbs at my peak!  I'm about 5'9, and 178lbs is a flabby.  Although my anxiety was much better, I would say I would still get moody at times, and I feel tired a lot and sleep TOO MUCH.  Well, I happened to watch a great documentary called FOOD MATTERS, and in it there is a Doctor Andrew Saul whom I found charismatic and well spoken.  He mentioned that NIACIN, or Vitamin B-3, taken at large doses (3grams/day) can help cure depression and even schizophrenia without side effects.  Some people get flushing, but you can get non-flushing type.  So, I've been trying that with good results.  I stopped taking the Lexapro about 3 weeks ago cold turkey, and after about two weeks, the dizziness and zaps went away.  Right now, I feel quite good, and low and behold, I've lost about 3 lbs already!  When I started Lexapro in 2003, I also started boxing around the same time, so I had assumed that the weight gain was due to my training at the gym, but actually I think it was the Lexapro.  I also thought it was an age thing (I'm 37), but I've noticed a sharp and healthy decline in my food intake and cravings the past two weeks.  So, yes, Lexapro seems to cause weight gain for me, too.  But, I would highly recommend Niacin as a natural, safe, and cheaper alternative.  Just try it.  I have more energy, haven't felt depressed yet, and I don't feel so tired all the time.  Read here, and good luck everyone.  Depression is a tough illness:

http://www.doctoryourself.com
http://www.doctoryourself.com/hoffer_niacin.html
http://moodydays.com  (my blog on depression)
I am 32 and began taking Lexapro in September of 2009. I have Social Anxiety Disorder and depression. I have taken many other antidepressents in the past but never longer then a year at a time and never gained weight! No diet and no exercise.
Up until I began taking it I weighed between 103 and 105. I am 5'4'' and have a very small bone frame. I have been this weight since high school and I have 3 children. I was able to lose the weight after the children naturally. Although it took 3-6 months. I have never dieted or stuck to an exercise program.
After 6 months of taking Lexapro I had gained about 13 pounds. Shocked with weight gain and unable to wear any of my clothes I began a strict diet and exercise plan and still ended up gaining additional weight. I am now 132 and gained about 30 pounds total. I am boderline size 8! I felt like I was going crazy about the weight gain? I went to my doctor on 4 different occasions about the tiredness and weight gain and never once did he say it was the Lexapro. He said it is calories in and calories out.  I feel like I am starving all the time because of the dieting and yet completely bloated. I am upset to be fat and hate to see all the fat on my stomach proturding over my pants waist line and looking at back side rolls under my shirt. I had no idea Lexapro would cause this much weight gain. I also slept all the time (including after 8 hours of sleep falling a sleep at the wheel and getting in a fender bender). I didn't have a passion for things anymore.
However, the plus side is zero anxiety disorder. It def. helped me in some trying times and removed my probles in social issues.
On my own I cut the 20 to 10mg for 2 weeks. Then I cut that to 5mg for 2 weeks. Then went to approx 2.5 for 2 weeks. Next took a tiny nibble of pill each day for a week. I have been off for 3 days and am dizzy, can't walk, running into things, sick to my stomach, shivers, brain feel like its in paralysis, even right now respelling things over and over incorrectly and diarreah. Horrible, Just want to take it to make it go away. If I dont lose any weight and get energy back within 3 months I am just going to get back on it so I can go back to being a zombie.
Thank you for your posts. I dont feel so alone or crazy.
Friends, I am so grateful to all of you who posted. I am another who thought it was just me and that I must somewhere in my diet made a change I wasn't aware of that caused me to pack on 20ish pounds. that's a lot when you're 5'3" and small framed. clothes don't fit, feeling lethargic, etc. So I committed myself to a 950-1200 cal diet and to make sure I exercised more. I did this for at 8 weeks, writing down everything I ate and the cals, and staying active daily. I lost nothing, maybe even gained a pound or two.

I finally got thinking it might be the Lexapro. I started weaning myself just yesterday. Your comments have helped me so much. Like many of you, the Lex helped through the crisis, but life is settling down, I think I can do without it, and I don't want overweight to be the new crisis.

Thanks again. Blessings to you all.
Thanks for the reminder about Niacin. I saw that video a while back, but I'd forgotten. thank you for posting.
I gained....and here i am 20 lbs heavier in 3 1/2 years from 130 lbs to 150 lbs...I feel so stupid not coming here and finding out that this might happen and i can switch to another med....but it wasn't me! I kept telling me docs nonstop, there is something wrong, i can tell this is not normal i am gaining a lot and they consistently said - Lexapro cant make u gain, research doesn't show that. F your research and read this forum and the hundreds of people screaming it does.!
Anyhow - damage is done! Now what? I was on 20mg for 2 years and for last 1 1/2 years tapering it off and now I am at 3 1/2 mg and I workout regularly and eat healthy...when do I get my metabolism back? after I am completely done with this med? or never? or slowly? what happens now...I REALLY need to know...because while ur "mood" gets better with Lexapro the weight gain can make you disheartened
I am so thankful for this site.  It let's me and my husband know that I am not crazy or just not being consistent in the gym.  After 2 1/2 years I weaned myself off of Lexapro in May 2009.  By then I had gained 40 pounds.  I keep going to my doctor and he keep saying it was just my age although I have been little all my life even after two children.  At fifty -two I only weighted 110 pounds.  Now it is April 2011 and I still can't lose this weight.  I walk, I run, I Zumba and I've tried all types of healthy eatting but still the weight remain.  I can't wear any of my clothes.  I've gone from a 6 to a size 10 or 12.  I have terrible belly and but fat.  I don't know what to do.  Any suggestions how to get this weight off.  It is so depressing.  I hate going shopping because nothing fits right.  Has anyone thought about suing the makers of Lexapro.
I reasonlly started taking Lexapro a long with my other med, ibuprofen 800mg, for joint pain. I also gainned 12 pounds in the past month and half. So, I found this site as I was trying to figure out why I gainned this weight. I did find that one of the side effects of taking ibuprofen is "sudden unexplained weigh gain" ans now, I find the side effects of Lexapro is weight gain..... WTF... I am being treated for depression and now, it looks like, I have to worry about becoming fat on top of it all.
I am 57, 5'5' male, on, 3/13/11, I started taking the ibuprofen, and it is working, and around 3 weeks later, started the Lexapro, a week later, I noticed that I had gained 9 pounds. This is not good. I was already 179 before I gained any weight. Now, it's May 1st, and my weight is 191 pounds. I am not sure which of the meds is responible for this, but I am not happy. I was happy with finding help for the depression but now. I feel like it's a catch 22, help with the depression, and be fat or relieve from joint pain and be fat.... This is not fair! You would think, with all the wonderful work they have done in the field of medicine, they would do better than this?  I don't know what to do about this and would welcome any feedback.... Thanks
I've been off antidepressants for two months and I think the reason we lose weight when we go off antidepressants (for me anyway) is that you get your energy back.  I used to love to exercise and was just very active until starting the meds.  Lexapro made me lazy; I completely stopped working out, and I had no tolerance for hunger - even if it was just boredom hunger, I felt I had to eat again and again.  I didn't mind that I needed to lose 30 lbs because the meds had me numbed out.  Now, I'm my real self again and I want to exercise and eat better because I'm not numb to the fact that I went from 5'6 128 lbs to 159 lbs in two years.  I see it every day and I feel it whenever I try to put on pants I used to wear so I'm doing something about it.  What's funny is that my PMS is better.  The meds are supposed to help PMS but it counteracts it by making you so hungry that you eat all the crap that makes PMS worse!   Good luck to all.  These meds suck, but just taper off very slowly and you will get there.
Now,it's 2 weeks later, I am so sad. The doctor after hearing my complaint about Lexapro and my weight gain. He increased the dose from 10 mgs to 20 mgs. He said that I was feeling better and was eating more but I'll check into it on your next appointment. My next appointment is in 2 months..... In the past weeks, I've gain another 5 pounds!
Now my weight is up to 196 pounds, in the past 2 months, I've gained 17 pounds. I wonder if my Doctor is crazy. At this rate, I'll be 213..... That's way to much!  Instead of taking 20 mgs, I think, I'm going to start taking 5 mgs and get off this stuff!!!  Wish me luck, and I'll let you know, how am doing......
I was so excited when I got off Lexapro back in March and started exercising.  I felt like my old self and I actually enjoyed working out like I used to.  Maybe I expected too much but I really thought my appetite would go down to where it was before the antidepressants and it hasn't.  I also expected to lose some weight through exercise and it's as much of a struggle to lose weight as it was when I was sedentary.  I have been exercising 6 days a week for at least 40 minutes doing both cardio and toning.  I just don't get why I can't lose weight anymore.  The sad thing is that there are no studies out there about the long term effects of antidepressants on metabolism.  I wish there was a professional out there who could tell me that it just takes a while and the metabolism kicks back in after so much time...I just can't find that information.  So, we all tend to think we might as well go back on the meds since we're miserable and fat anyway.  That's exactly what the drug companies want, though, so we have to be vigilant and keep posting any progress that we make!
Like so many of you, I am so glad to have found this board because I have had the same issues with Lexapro.  

I have been an athlete my whole life and gained 30 pounds in about 18 months after starting Lexapro.  I have a good diet, I exercise, etc.  I feel disgusting and nothing fits me or looks good on me anymore.  (I am 5'8" and was 150 (size 6 - I'm muscular and thus weigh more than the size would indicate) and have shot up to > 180.)  

I tapered off of the cursed substance (w/o telling the Dr.) about 6 weeks ago, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the weight will start coming off.  I may follow what one of the other posters recommended and try and shock my system somehow.  I'd try anything at this point.

In a country as litigious as ours I'm surprised no one has brought a lawsuit against the manufacturer.
The drug makers keep the side effects as cryptic as they can so that we can't directly link it to the meds.  Well, and they always say that people eat more when they feel better.  That is true for me.  Some people eat when they're stressed but I lose my appetite...unless I'm on Lexapro, then I just eat more when I'm sad or stressed.
I've tried a few antidepressants over the past year. Zoloft, Effexor and now Lexapro. For the first 1-2 months I feel great, then come the side effects. I've been on Lexapro for a few months now. I'm experiencing crazy tiredness. Last weekend I slept for 3 days. I got out of bed a couple of times, but the rest of the time I slept. That is insane! I have never done that! Everyday is a struggle to get out of bed. When I get home from work, all I want to do is sleep. I even fell asleep at work a few days ago. Overall I have gained 30 lbs...not good! None of my clothes fit. I'm bloated all the time and my weight just keeps going up. I'm going to my doctor soon to get my thyroid checked and see about getting off Lexapro. I have a feeling all the meds have messed with my body and i'm not sure if it will recover.  
Don't skip without asking you doctor.  I am weening off b/c I feel fine and I have gained weight that I can't lose.  I totally trust my doc as he has been treating my mom for years.  You must ween off of it.  Yes you may get some withdrawal symptoms but you can't just stop the drug.  The withdrawals will be out of control.  I am also in nursing and know about this. PLease speak to your doc.  You cannot just stop meds without doing so.
I just started Lexapro 6 days ago and want to quit do to side effects. Too antsy and now hbp. Any suggestions?
In Oct 2009, I had a baby at age 45.  I had a son age 27 and a 2 yr old grandson.  Finding out I was pregnant at my age was a huge shock to say the least.  The pregnancy was difficult with lots of ups and downs.  When we brought our baby son home from the hospital, I literally started having extreme anxiety and did not sleep AT ALL for 2 weeks which made the anxiety even worse.  My Dr said my hormones were skydiving and I was suffering from postpartum anxiety.  She wanted to put me on 10 mg of Lexapro, but I didn't want to take it because of the side effects, etc.  However I was so desperate to get rid of the anxiety because I couldn't even function.  The lexapro worked miracles!!!  Within 6 weeks I went from having extreme anxiety to zero anxiety and was sleeping soundly.  I was also extremely happy and have remained so ever since.  Problem...30 lb weight gain in one year.  I did add in drinking Dr Peppers and eating sweets, something I had never consumed much of.  I cut out the sweets but not the sodas.  I am weaning myself off Lexapro now.  I cut down from 10 to 5 mg about a month ago without side effects.  I am now going to start skipping days of taking 5 etc.  Love the Lexapro...hate the weight gain!  My advice, if you're really suffering from depression and/or anxiety, this drug will save you.  Take it long enough to get you through then get off.
Just adding my voice to the 100000s....the doctors who say "you're just eating more' are SUCH *****, aren't they? unreal, the denial.  I went on Lex in 2008 (I cant believe it's been that long!) after a series of traumatic events piled up--I never thought i'd need an antidepressant, never was depressed, but I sort of had PTSD, and it really did save me.

I was one of the lucky ones, it was the right one for me, I only took 10 mg and I had NO side effects (except weight gain)...I didn't feel bad on it at all, I felt really good and healthy and energetic and it gave my brain space to heal and deal with stuff.   As healing happened from the life events (and I did therapy) I was ready to wean off.  Well, I had to wean reeeeeeeeeealllly slooooooooow because if I did too much I got terrible dizziness, almost falling down, and stomachaches.  So i've been warning since the end of 2009!    I got to 5 mg by last summer and now I am at 1.5!    The thing is that at 2 mg if you go to 1.5 you are cutting your dose by a QUARTER, which is a big cut (for me being very sensitive anyway). Whereas when you got from 10 to 9.5, that's like, what, 1/20th of your dose?  As long as I go slow I'm fine.  But I can't wait to be OFF!

Anyway, I had the class weight gain in the classic timing. I had been kind of emaciated when I started and needed to gain  a little, but not as much as I did. I should be about 118-120 for my height. I was 108 when I started Lex. The gain happened in thr classic way--exactly 3 months in, it seemed to pile on it one week (changing nothing).  Literally one week all my jeans fit, the next they didnt (and never did again).  

I was up to 120 in 2009 (which was okay)--but then 130 in 2010.  That was too much.  Now, in summer 2011, I am hovering 124-125.  I squeezed ot down through VERY careful eating--low sugar, lots of vegetables and protein, no meat, plenty of EFAS, green tea....

The weight number isn't the concern to me now, it's the FAT.  All this stubborn goopy fat around my middle and thighs that I NEVER HAD BEFORE.  I dont recognize myself. I look dumpy. I always had a cute, trim little athletic bod.... without much effort.  yeah, I'm 40 but screw that.  I know plenty of 40 and 45 y o who kept their bodies like mine was. Its the Lex.  And it will not go away yet.

Let me tell you, I know what I am doing--I eat SUPER healthy, I hve a nutrition degree.   I bike, run, walk, hike, lift weights, do Jillian Michael's Shred...  the thing  is, I KNOW that if I wasn't so careful and knowledgeable, it WOULD BE SO MUCH WORSE!  I would be one of those who gained 20-30-40-50 pounds!   I only have an extra 5 of fat now maybe...it was ten pounds at the worst point. I think I've MINIMIZED the damage by being so healthy and careful....but I couldn't totally keep it off.

This is so consistent with  The doctors should read these  Many identical  stories--tiny all our lives, then huge gain with Le.  Or athletes all our lives, huge weight gain after Lexapro, changing nothing in lifestyle. And the stubbornness of this Lex-gained fat, when before we could always lose. It's so striking.

I cannot wait to see when Lex is totally out of my system what happens to this fat.  It should be just a few more months Im off. I plan to follow the advice of many here about "shocking' the metabolism.  

GabriellaKW is so right when she says, "The sad thing is that there are no studies out there about the long term effects of antidepressants on metabolism."  God I hope it's not the case that it screws it up forever.   Lex helped me, but I dont want it to have made me FAT forever....
I have been on Effexor since May of 2008. For 3 years now I have struggled with weight gain. Every dr appt I made mentioned something about it and all I heard from the docs were "stop putting food in your mouth and you'll be fine". I'm also in the military and while I get free healthcare, it also comes with a price: complete ignorance. I gained 45 pounds because of this medication. The worst part is that when the meeds stopped doing what they were supposed to do my docs would just increase the dose. So now I'm up to 225mg a day. Yes, 225mg. And this is for MILD depression/anxiety. People with schizophrenia take this much. So I am starting a program called The Road Back. Its a program that assists you with weening yourself off of these medications. You take supplements (Omega-3, Vitamin E and JNK Supplement) to help alleviate the side affects associated with withdrawal of antidepressants. Google The Road Back if you think this program might be the right thing for you. My heart is with all of you who have suffered due to antidepressants. I thought taking this medication would HELP me. Not make my life a living hell. Good luck to all of you!
i have been on lexapro for 6months and have put on 7kgs.. i started taking half of my 10mg today and only just came across this site tonight... i knew these tablets were the reason i was gaining weight. i noticed straight away i was eating more... coming from a person who would snack through out the day and only having a proper meal at dinner.. soon as i started on lexapro i was having the 3 meals a day and snacks.. hungry all the time which is not like me. the first 3 months i felt so happy then i started being over tired always, lazy and not wanting to have a social life at all... that is not me.. even when i was extremly low before lexapro my social life was something that made me happy.. being alone was what made me sad... now id rather be home alone and down then being around friends,family etc.,. i am becoming very moody and my weight is just making me more sad.. time to get off this thing!! i think lexapro is only good for people to help them overcome stress and tough times and once u feel happy again thats when u should get off,
I have taken Lexapro in two rounds. The first time I was on for 1 year and even after tappering off I had shocks, dizziness, and sweats terribly for 7 days after stopping the medicine. I had went from 145 to 175. After I quit taking lexapro I lost about 20 lbs in 2 months with diet and exercise only. Well now I was put on Lexapro again back last Dec 2010. I was 155 and now I am 196. I eat healthy and exercise with a trainier. With about a 5 lb loss. And Yes I am bloated where I feel I cannot breath. My face is a moon shape double chin, I never had this even when I was pregnate with both of my girls and topped the scale at 200 lbs on delivery. I believe weight loss is possible but only if you get off Lexapro.
How funny..that you call it "fake" weight...I do too.... I have been on Lexopro and Prozac in the past and after I got off of Prozac...I gained 30 lbs in less than 2 months.   Most recent I gained 20 lbs in less than 3 weeks.   HOW FRUSTRATING!

It is all in my middle area...and i look like I am 7 months pregnant.   grrrr.  
OMG you are soo right!  I had not realized it until I read your post, but all my life, when I am sad or stressed I have LOST my appitite and weight.  But NOW, when I am stressed I want carbs, carbs and more carbs.

Like most, Lexapro has been a god send for me...I was put on by a cardiologist to control my neurocardiogenic syncope...and it does.  However, I just keep piling on the pounds.  Now, my general doc says either take the weight off or go on a med for my cholesterol which is creeping up along with my weight...

So, last week I cut my 10 mg pills in half and will take this for 2 weeks.  Then I will alternate 1/2 and 1/4 of a pill for 2 weeks.  Then I will take 1/4 a pill a day for a week and stop altogether.  I have started taking a multi vitamin every day as someone had mentioned certain vitamins help.

I may change the length of time between reduction of dose depending on my side effects...I drive all day long so I simply can not tollerate being dizzy behind the wheel.  Hopefully this will not be a problem.  I have to have surgery and will be out of work for 2 weeks and am hoping that going off will coincide with this so that if I DO experience side effects I will not be driving at the time.
could you please explain the running regimn you were doing like how much a day and outside or treadmill  etc
happened upon this forum by chance. I was started on Lexapro by my doctor 8 months ago for depression and anxiety. initially 10mgs daily then increased to 20mgs. I have noticed that I have gained weight even though I adhere to a strict diet and try to exercise as much as I can. having adult hip dysplasia curtails exercise somewhat. the weight that I've put on seems to be around my stomach area, I've gone from 30inch to 33 inch waist in the matter of a few months which is not good for my self esteem. being treated for depression then ending up being depressed about weight gain doesn't seem to be conducive to well being
Niacin in large doses does have side effects. It can cause serious liver damage.
I am on Tompamax 300mg a day I am scared but I can do it no side effects so far i see my doctor so far no side effects so far
I have been off a low dose of lexapro for 6 months, 5# in the belly will not leave?! HELP!! Jeans too tight!!
Hi everyone! I have been on Lexapro for 2 years and it has helped me so much with my depression, however I did gain some weight on this pill. This week after waning down the dose I went off. I think that it is easy to slip back into old habits, but if you find yourself in a bad position you probably weren`t ready to come off in the first place.
I recently had a liver transplant and was put on lexapro 5 mg.  Did not gain weight . But then they increased it too 10mg.  I can't stop eating and and can't get full.  I am very tiny. 5'5 93 lbs.  But the wight game is coming fast went not from 88 to 93 in 5 days. I walk 6 to 7 miles 5 days a week.  Eat healthy but a lot.  Any suggestions or a other anxiety depression meds that won't cause weight gain .  Wellbutrin?  ,
Twice now, I have been miserable enough to take Lexapro. It makes me HUGE. Never again. There are plenty of other things to help with depression, nutrition, supplements, sunshine, divorcing a rotten spouse....So, finally after being off of Lexapro for about 2 months, the weight is falling off, I am not ravenous hungry 24-7, and I am not blinded by the dull, mellow numbness of Lexapro. I see that my life is chock full of people that I should have walked away from a long time ago. Lexapro is a fat inducing fog. It would be nice if doctors told you about this huh?
I started lexapro in August of 2014 for severe panic attacks. I am 5'6 and weighed 125-130 pounds when i started taking it. I came off of it a month ago because I gained about 30 pounds on it, now weighing 155. I was going to try and not be on any medication but realized today I need to be on something because the panic is not going away. I have been taking .25 xanax everyday for the past few days now. Does anyone have suggestions for anxiety medicines to try that will not cause this weight gain? Also does anyone know how long it will take until this weight comes off. I eat healthy and exercise regularly  and the weight just isn't coming off.
Hey, I tried to talk to my dr about stopping the Lexapro because I was groggy and a little bit less active than I was before- kinda didn't care about doing much.. like oh my hair, yeah its fine ill put it up in a pony- when before I was a shower every morning, full hair and make up- now 10 minutes before leaving for work is my schedule haha.. well he gave me the Bupropion  Wellbutrin, it does help balance and everything, but I felt myself being like super happy about pretty much anything- focus was a huge Plus! but one glass of wine, forget it.. im on my butt! I stopped taking all of it- I saw from Lexapro I may have gained 5 or 6 pounds.. im pretty groggy and I feel like I can sleep forever. It has been day 3 since not taking any of them. if your looking for a balance with Wellbutrin, I thought It worked well but I don't want to take a bunch of things forever.
I tapered off Lexapro after I gained 20 pounds in 6 months. It was all belly fat, and I've never had a belly in my life (I'm 29). I had an insatiable hunger... it couldn't be controlled, and I thought it would go away after I got off the medication. Nope!! It's been 6 months and I still have to eat 24/7. I crave sugar (again, never been a huge problem for me) and carbs. I tried dieting, juice cleanses, working out... the weight wouldn't budge. After 6 months of being off Lexapro, I figured this is just how life was going to be. Then, on a last ditch effort, I tried a low carb diet. IT WORKED. I don't eat anything over 2% carbohydrates, and nothing over 3 grams of sugar. It's all super high in fat. I eat as much meat and dairy as I want... tons of it, and the weight is shedding off, all in my belly, TOO!! I hope this works for other people. The first week I lost 4 pounds. I hope it keeps up. I feel and look so much better already. I don't plan on eating this way forever, but for now I'll take it!
I wanted to purchase it but see it is about $150!!!
Tell me exactly what diet you followed.  High protein also?  I tapered off 10 mg of Lexapro in 2 weeks simply because of the FAT!  I was so thin and I'm furious to think that the jerks I work with who are the reason I had to take anti-anxiety now also took my thinness away from me.  The doc said…nobody will feel sorry for you because your BMI is still in range. Well, I don't care…I want what I had back … I worked hard for that.  I tapered off without telling the doc.  I don't want on this stuff ever again, though it did work and I felt good on it but I got off for the weight gain.  Had headaches and still have some dizziness…it's been 3 weeks totally off and the scale hasn't budged.  Went on Nutrisystem and gained on the Fast 5!  So, what is the best way to do this?
What did you do to shock your metabolism back to normal?
Quit the Lexapro right away before you put on a ton of fat in your belly, hips and thighs.  It *****!
I am 42 years old and I went on lexapro 5 years ago for anxiety attacks after my divorce.  I didnt want to go on anything but noticed I was having to take more xanax each week to get through the days.  I was a size 6 145 lbs and about 5'8.  I am not a size 12 and 180 lbs its awful!  So I started seeing an acupuncturist and went on Chinese herbs to help with my anxiety as I have now been fully off Lexapro for a week.  The withdrawls from this stuff are awful but I want to try to get off of this not just cuz of weight gain but because I'm sick of not feeling things and my life has changed for the better now I'm married again and have a wonderful husband and life that I just dont feel I should need this anymore.  I am working out more and eating much better and taking ******* vitamins that are higher in B12 and fish oils.  I just home the anxiety stays at bay and these withdrawls go away here soon :)  I wish everyone luck in your journeys as what we deal on depression and anxiety is no fun but all these meds on the market are not any better sometimes as there are so many side affects.  I'm glad there are places like this that we can talk with folks about our issues and learn from each other.
I know how you feel,and while I feel sorry for us all, I'm  so glad to find out I'm not alone....and isn't it amazing the docs don't tell us that this is a potentially really bad side effect, but continue to "beat us up" about losing weight.    I took Lexapro for 10 years, and decided to step off for awhile to see that the world was like again.    My normal doc wasn't available so I saw someone else who also told me "I would NEVER put a post menopausal woman on Lexapro or leave them on it because of issues with weight/libido, etc".   REALLY??  Why wasn't my original doc being my health care partner and making some other suggestions to me about what I should be doing or trying instead of leaving me on something that she should have know is causing me harm?   I've had an 80 pound weight gain over these 10 years....and have been beat up by physicians for "not trying hard enough" to lose the excess.    These posts have really been an eye-opener for me.
Hi Scooby,  I am a 52 year old woman who just weened off Lexapro.  I was on it for 6 years.  I was going through a really rough time taking care of 3 elderly parents, (1 lived with us) raising a 10 year old daughter and a 15 year old rebellious son with my husband away at work most of the time ( I worked part time) I became so overwhelmed I was tired and depressed.  My know nothing dr. told me I should take Lexapro to get through this. Like an idiot I trusted him. I blame myself for not doing any research on it first!  I have always been on the go, full of energy and was a kick boxer and consistent speed walker.  Was always proud of how I worked so hard at everything and especially taking care of myself.  I was in the best shape of my life at the age of 45 and 46.  That's when I started taking the Lexapro.  I slowly gained weight and I just thought it was menopause.  I didn't eat much and was on my feet all day working hard.  When the scale started surpassing 150, (my normal weight was 132 to 137 at 5 ft. 6 inches) I was in shock, how could this be??  Then when it reached 160 I started to panic and thought getting old really *****.  Then one day, I decided to google Lexapro side effects.  I couldn't believe all the stories I was reading that were similar to mine!!  The heaviest I reached was 166.7 lbs.  I weened off Lexapro at a very slow pace and suffered all the side effects.  I just kept telling myself I was fighting the good fight.  It has been 2 months now that I am Lexapro free. I am down to 159 without doing anything different. Finally losing 8 lbs has given me some hope.  I'm ecstatic to see the scale go down FINALLY!!!  Good luck to you!
I gained ten pounds off of Prozac and when I saw that I got off of it cold turkey style. I wish you luck. Exercising helps the metabolism but not good enough for these meds. Try Wellbutrin. My doctor won't put me on it because she thinks I have and eating disorder.
As a 31 year old woman, who was on Effexor XR for 15 years. I have now been off for a year and my metabolism has just kicked in. I was never large as I am always active but recently I have seen a big drop in weight and an increase in calories I need to consume. My main issues are the heart palpitations and the memory loss from being so clouded for 15 years. I was poorly managed and never reassessed after the age of 21. I know it did some damage as I'm trying to get through nursing school now and re-activate my brain through learning new skills as I felt so numb and unmotivated. It takes time but just keep working on it, you will get there.
I'm a woman in my early 30's and I was on Lexapro for about 9 years. Before Lexapro I was 5'4" and 115 lbs. Towards the end I was at 180 lbs. I'd never had weight issues in my life and there I was wearing a size 14/16! Of course the doctors blamed my diet for years. I said forget this and tapered off for over a year.

The last few months (August-December) were filled with daily dizziness and anxiety. It wasn't until January of 2015 that the dizziness stopped. I noticed a little bit of a weight loss around March/April of 2015 as I entered the middle of my tapering but it was very slow! I think these drugs definitely affect your metabolism and ability to bounce back, even with diet and exercise.

I was completely off of Lexapro by November of 2015. It wasn't until the summer of 2016 that I noticed some real weight loss! I'm now down to 135 or less (I haven't checked my weight in a few months but I can finally fit in a size 4/6 and comfortably wear a medium in tops again!) in December of 2016. I know the Lexapro was to blame because sometimes I'm eating complete junk and STILL not gaining the way I did while on Lex and eating healthy meals.

I believe my high metabolism is finally coming back but yes, it took awhile to get there. I'll never go back on any of these stupid drugs that make you depressed AND fat again.