Is my milk supply low?
My 4 month old DD is starting to wine when I nurse her after the let down. I'm worried my supply might be dipping. She is 17lbs (big for her age) and during the week I nurse her 4 times a day and she gets a 1 bottle of pumped milk a day. She sleeps 12 hrs every night. This has been her schedule since about 2 months of age. Do you think my supply is getting low or do you think she's ready for solids? I'd hate to start so soon. I was hoping to wait until 5 or 6 months. But she's a big girl and maybe I need to start sooner.
She should be nursing a little more frequently. Mine nursed close to a dozen times a day throughout the first year, were all very big babies, and didn't do solids regularly (started solids after 6 months and never ate them regularly). There is no "need" to add solids. Heck, even today at my son's 12 month check-up I told the doc he still shows no interest in solids and his words "perfect, he is getting exactly what his body needs from you." And his size shows it, he has never dropped below the 95th percentile. Other than breast milk he has ingested less than a dozen jars of baby food, less than a box of baby cereal, and bits and pieces of table food in his life.
Wow Andi, I admire you on this.  After my previous BF experiences, I'm just hoping to make 6 months.  I have been pumping so much, each time I nurse during the day (before/during lunch/after work) in an attempt to ensure my supply.
I would not try solids yet....minimum age is supposed to be 6 mos. b/c of their digestion capabilities and enzymes, etc. The biggest indication that your baby's demands are being met is her weight gain. I'm sure you've made regular pediatrician visits, and if she is gaining weight apropriately, then your supply is enuf. Adding in formula or pumped milk for your peace of mind may help. I can't believe she goes 12 hrs at night w/out eating- wow!!
It could be a little gas. Have you tried giving her mylicon before feeding her. Also,if she's wetting plenty and gaining weight then your milk supply is just fine. Usually there are not that many woman that can't breastfeed. The more you nurse, the more milk is made. Also, make sure to feed her before she get's too hungry. That's when they tend to gulp more air with nursing. Best wishes and congrats on the breastfeeding!
My ped. said if we want we can start rice cereal between 4 and 6 months. But everybody has their own preference.
Mabye just make sure she is gaining weight..if so I would think she is getting enough.
My son is almost 3 months old and I nurse him ALOT during the day and still at night...probably at least 12 times a day/night...I dont even keep count.