No Period After Child Birth - Normal?
I have not had my period since I had my son. He is now 18 months old. No longer have an OB due to new insurance and thought I would ask here. Has anyone else had this issue? I think it is weird to not get my period after this long and wondering if it means that I can't have anymore kids. Period skipped around months before I got preggers with son. Thanks
Hi!
Yes, usually the periods return within a year of childbirth. However, ovulation returns earlier. So please take a pregnancy test and see.  If you are not pregnant then other causes will have to be looked into. Stress and anxiety is a major factor. Thyroid problems and abnormal levels of FSH, LH, prolactin, androgen hormones or male hormones and estrogen hormones too can be the cause. MRI of brain may be required to rule out pituitary tumors secreting prolactin. Another major contributor is polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). This can be diagnosed by a CT scan or abdominal ultrasound and tests for insulin resistance. Smoking is also often associated with absence of periods and can be worse in presence of stress. Sometimes tumors of the ovaries and brain may also cause absence of menstruation. Severe anemia and malnutrition, excess weight gain or weight loss, hypothyroidism too can contribute.
You need to discuss this with a gynecologist when you get an insurance. Meanwhile please take a pregnancy test and see. Also, try and visit a mother and child clinic. Take care!
Thanks alot for your reply. Will deff be going back to an OB as soon as the new insurance kicks in and will take a test as soon as check hits in a couple days. Thanks again for your time :)