Massive cyst post op

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Massive cyst post op

Hi Fellow Women Growing Fruit or Sport Balls on their Ovaries,

I was told that I had a cantaloupe size cyst growing on my ovary and my cancer marker was slightly elevated.  I'm 42. I read just about every statistic and fact on ovarian cancer and calmed myself with the rates for women my age. Although one can always be the minority.  I was also referred to an oncologist gynecologist which in an of itself is terrifying.  The day of the visit my blood pressure was 158/101 and my hear was "racing."  To top things off, it was the first time I ever had a rectal exam.  The idea is worse than the actual experience so don't let the men in your lives treat it as anything close to your yearly pap smear.  Thankfully the oncologist rated me low on the possible cancer scenario--must have been my smooth colon.  Still one can't know for sure until the biopsy....
I was scheduled two days later to have my laproscopic operation upon my request to speed this thing up.  The hospital schedules me to arrive at 5:30 %^&^% am.  Nothing like a well-rested body to operate on--one that has just experienced the effects of dulcolax the day before.  I was hoping that my surgeon had more clarity than I had that morning of surgery.  I'm not a sentimental person but the moment that you must part with your loved one before entering the operating room was tough and I had not been prepared for it.  I felt that I was in a threshold between life and death and this may be the last moment that I see my husband ever, the last time I see someone that I love. I kept back tears.  I was then held in the corridor where I met with the anesthesiologist and my surgeon. who reminded me of the risks of surgery and what could happen if they find cancer.  Then I was wheeled in to the operating room and shifted onto the operating table.  It's a funny place with tv screens all around.  I made some joke about us all watching tv together and then they place a mask over my face and no one prepared me on how incredible horrible the smell coming out the mask was going to be.  The last words out of my mouth, and perhaps for ever if I had died were how stinky and horrible the smell was.  I regret my swan song.  I shall never leave consciousness without something more profound.  I woke up seeing that my surgery went longer than expected and thought that they may have found cancer and had to perform a hysterectomy.  My surgeon came to me while I was still drunk from anesthesia and informed me that there was no cancer but the surgery was more complex as I had endometrial cysts that had stuck to various parts of my body and it took a lot of time to remove it all.  The post op day was ok, I was mostly sleepy and stayed in bed most of the day.  I felt better on day 2, mostly because I wasn't nauseated.  By day 2, I took a dulcolax, and then another one on day 3.  Perhaps the worst pain was on day three when I felt the urge to go to the bathroom and the fear to strain myself.  I nearly passed out from trying to have a bowel movement.  I would recommend prune juice and drinking it when you get back from the hospital.  Mix it with fizzy water and it tastes nearly like coke.   I didn't have any on hand so I was forced to take the dulcolax.  Once I was able to get those bowels going, and boy did they get going, and kept going, I felt better.  I'm on day 5 of my recovery and today is not as good, only because I did way too much yesterday and am paying the price today.  I describe the feeling akin to having a bad period day.  Things to expect: urinating blue on your first day, bloated stomach, some coughing, bleeding like it's your period, cramping like it's your period, constipation, and  lack of energy akin to having a cold.  All in all, I feel pretty lucky.  Tonight I have my son, my husband, and my dog all lounging on the bed with me.
Thank you for sharing. I'm glad to hear it wasn't cancer. I hope you'll have a speedy recovery.