Shooting pain through vagina and anus
I have sharp shooting pains through my vagina and anal area.  They only last a few seconds.  The build and peak like labor pains.  Say I'm in the kitchen and I'll feel it coming on so I have time to brace myself.  I'll set down whatever it is i'm holding and get ready.  I have to cross my legs, bend my knees, hold on to something, clench my body tight, and try to breathe.  Thank God it only lasts a few seconds.  My 14 yr. old son witnessed it yesterday and tried to call 911.  I kept signaling him not to.  I knew it wouldn't last long.  My gyno. didn't understand me when I tried to explain it to her.  What is going on?  Has anyone else experienced this kind of unbearable pain?  If the pain lasted even a min. I feel like I would just pass out and die from the pain. Honestly, it's worst than labor pains.  I never know when it's going to occur.  And when it does happend, I have to be standing to get through it, I can't be sitting.  I've also noticed that after the pain passes I'm out of breath and dizzy.  What is going on?  What should I be tested for?  Also, I've had a stabbing pain on my right side of my stomach under my rig cage.  It seems to move around the area.  Cannot take a deep breath in or yawn without tremendous pain.  Does anyone have an idea about what that could be?  Thankyou ahead of time to those who respond to my questions.
The pain can be anything from gas to cysts or endometriosis. I've had chronic yeast infections, BV, uti's, severe stabbing & burning pain inside & outside vagina & anus for 17 yrs. Dr after Dr stumped. One night recently (about 3 months ago) I was crying on the phone to my sister that I couldn't take the pain anymore. It hurt to wear pants or underwear. She told me that there HAS to be a Dr somewhere to help me. She told me to get off the phone and Google my symptoms along with the city, state I live in. So I googled severe chronic vaginal pain and burning doctors in Louisville,ky. I read all the websites that popped up and noticed one name kept coming up. So I called her office next day & explained my pain & got an appt. I was diagnosed with vulvodynia & vestibulitis. Look it up! I think a lot of you ladies may have this too! There are several treatments...she put me on 1 diflucan per week, Premarin cream, testosterone cream (I am 53 yrs old post menopausal). I also have fibromyalgia and lower back problems. She said that it is neurological problem mainly. Also put me on neurontin. She said to put Aquaphor salve on outer part of vagina when it's irritated & it gives me great relief. It is over the counter. Sorry this is so long, but it is very complicated. She is also going to have me start physical therapy for my vagina. Yes-they do have that for the vag area...who knew!!! Hope this helps someone! It is nice to have hope again & some relief from pain!!!
I have had these pains in my nether regions for a year in a half and I tell ya the pain is intense, but I get them standing, sitting, walking, etc. Doesn't matter what I'm doing, but when I'm sitting, it feels like I'm sitting on a tennis ball. Well I found out that I have a prolapse of my uterus and my bladder. Being diagnosed with interstitial cystitis (bladder disorder) many many years ago I thought it was to do with this, but I was so wrong. Many gyno and uro spots later, I have received 3 different opinions with the same outcome. I may need to get a full hysterectomy due to my prolapse. I seen so many of you dealing with this pain, but it may be caused by this or bladder prolapse. Please ask questions and get different opinions until you get the same opinions at least twice in a row. I am scared to get a full hysterectomy as my husband and zi want another child, but we have a teenage son which we are very grateful for if I need to get this done. I am 36 years old and a licensed practical nurse, so I understand what will happen, but don't understand why me at 36? Its hard to take it all in, but I understand and feel that if it has to be done oh well we are blessed with a son. I hope I haven't scared anyone in regards to this, but this is the cause of my pain and it does get worse 7-12 days before my period and 2 days into my period. I found out that I really had a problem when I could NOT insert a tampon because it was going "sideways" instead of up and felt like it was being "blocked", so I had to wear pads, and sure enough I went in and found out that I was 1.4 inches away from a complete prolapse of my uterus coming out. I'm on strict activities and cannot liftnanything, my duties at work are now very limited to only giving my patients medications and wound care, no lifting which is kind of hard being a nurse!!! Anyway, I'm sorry to have gone on, but I understand what you all have or still are going through and to please make sure that this is not what is happening with you. Thanks for listening and wish you all very well and in good health.
Nurse Marie
I had a full hysterectomy 9 years ago I'm 52 now and still have those pain but worse them before
This pain I have begun to experience is a neuralgic pain, here is the link to read the article about it.

http://www.pudendalhope.info/node/9
I have the sharp electric shock like pain in my vaginal/urethra area.  They only seem to happen when I am sitting, walking and standing are fine.  this has been going on for a few months.  I had a complete hysterectomy over 10 years ago so it cannot be due to ovaries and such.

It does seem like it could be an entrapped nerve or a neuralgia but that being said, I have no idea what they would do about it.  Wish it would go away!
I am now 41 and I had my first experience at 18 on my way to school, by bus.  I didn't know what anything except that the pain paralyzes my body until it stops.  Within the last 7 years, it has grown worse, more often, a longer duration, wakes me out of my sleep, etc.  I learned about the name when I attended Bryman, and I learned that I wasn't the only one.  My doctor at the time, didn't know what it was and wanted to give me  depressant medication.  I told her no, and she gave me 600m of Ibuprofen.  For me, if I take a pain killer, it goes away, until the next experience.  My daughter is now 18 and I learned about a year ago, that she experiences the same thing and has been for 2 years.  It's not a great situation, but I'm glad that there are other women to share with and get some helpful ideas to try, because I've heard also that there is no cure.  
Hello, i am a man and i am, for the first time, choosing to speak about this issue via internet. i have been experiencing these sharp pains in my rectum off and on for the past 6 years. they seem to be reoccurring more frequently, but lately with less intensity. Im writing this not to just share, but to also investigate and work towards a solution for all of us. I hope my sharing will inspire other ideas and possibilities to heal this with minimal visits to our doctors (if at all!!). So, i have had a history of constipation growing up and due to the straining of evacuation, it has weakened my pevlic muslces and tissues quite a bit. i can feel and imagine the displacement of organs and lack of buoyancy of the tissue in my pelvic region. Luckily, embracing a healthier diet over the years, i have eliminated my constipation (pun intended), but it has not addressed the sharp pains. So my thinking is that i need to bring back more strength and blood flow to my pelvis floor. knowing a little yoga, im doing whats called aswhini mudra throughout the day, which is a contraction and releasing of the rectum and anal sphincter repeatedly. i do about 30 a day, but gradually increasing the reps. Also, i am putting an ointment called "Eva Salve" from Dr. Sebi, it contains calcium and other ingredients that tones and nourishes the skin to bring back the tissues proper level of elasticity. I place some on my finger and gently rub it inside my rectum. This has helped the pain go down tremendously when those sharp pains come and has given my butt and rectum a more firmer feel (by the way, im not promoting, im just telling you what has worked!!!) I have also been taking Calcium Flouride (cell salt) which helps strengthen connective tissues. Last year the pains were so intense i would be on the floor scratching the carpet, just unbearable. This year, with the aforementioned remedies, still painful but less intense and the duration of time of the pain has shortened. Though this is mainly a posting for women, i feel that there is definitely a simple common principle underlying this, be it physical, emotional, and psychological. Im open for discussion.....
I have experienced this exact same issue for many, many years...no rhyme or reason to the spasms but what I have noticed sometimes it happens after an extended car ride and it happens at night while I'm sleeping.  It will wake me up and if I sit on toilet it will go away in about 15 minutes.  If I'm not where I can go to a bathroom/restroom I find a bench or chair and just sit.  I did mention it to the doctor once but she didn't seem to have an answer or even seemed concerned!  
This is exactly what's going on with me!  I feel (at a very young age- 60
This has happened to me randomly throughout the years...many years will go by before having a flare up. But for me, I get prescribed Valtrex and it clears it up immediately...long ago I had a herpes virus on my upper leg and my leg and buttocks area would feel tender to the touch along with the shooting pains. The Valtrex took care of it...You don't aways see a sore to tell you its a herpes, but it can be the virus inside of you which creates this feeling. The last time I needed Valtrex was over 6 years ago...calling Dr. now for a new prescription. Good luck!
Hello Gailrn516. I have had these problems too, but I found that this pain was coming from me being dehydrated. every time I do not drink enough water 8 cups a day or do not work out to maintain my healthy weight the pain persists.Since paying close attention to this the pain has been gone for a very long time( 2-3 years) and every time it comes back I know why. so, take in more fluids, look into whats your healthy weight for your height and look on line for a water intake calculator. It will tell you how much water you need to take in at the weight you are at now and how much water you needed to drink when working out.Hope everything works out great. Be blessed.
I was reading through the comments and I sympathize with all of you.  My mother is going through the same thing and I hope she doesn't have to suffer for 10 years!  Wow!

One person mentioned that the only time the pain stopped was during her 9 month pregnancy - is it possible that a hormonal imbalance exists and low estrogen levels is causing all the pain?

I am having my mother ask her Dr. tomorrow.  I think it is worth asking.  Good luck to all of you experiencing pain.  My wish is for a pain free tomorrow for all of you.
I go under covers when it happens. It seems to not want me to get cold coz if I do it gets worse
I have the same pain in 1 month now.my OB ask me if i have pain during urinating.YES,then she ask me again if it is ichi on my vigan.YES,ask me agai where is the pain left or rigth of my vigana, and its LEFT.so she tells me its your bladder.she gives me medicine named,SUPLAX CAPSULE.ones a day.for 5 days.drink more,more,more water.and cranberry juice even 1 glass a day.and more water again.dont eat to much chocolate,beans, fatty foods,salty foods.i dont feel that much pain now.hope its help to you...
The best thing for this pain is dicyclomine and an anti-inflammatory like Motrin or Alleve. You should feel better after the second dose. Hope it works for you.
I too have had all these exact symptoms... have gone to my doctor who ran tests and everything came back negative... i was refered to a gyno so hopefully someone can finally tell me what is going on! I feel alittle relieved knowing I am not alone in this. It is not all in my head. The pain is out of this world. Its so hard to describe it to anyone, they just say its probably gas...
I just had one and they are brutally painful. It's like a charley horse in your vagina or anus!  Massaging the muscle (inside the vagina, weird but it works) or do the yoga position "child's pose" pushing your hips down and back while stretching your arms out in front to stretch the muscle. They are the only things I found that help. And breathe!  Don't hold your breath.  I sympathize that your 14 year old witnessed it.
Those my friend are ovulation pains. I am all tooo familiar with this description. When describing to most it sounds like a gas pain but there's no gas in the world that compares to that. I'm happy to hear that it doesn't last long for you ladies that's truly a blessing those pains usually stay with me for 24 to 48 hours nothing but sleep and laying down helps me
I experience this same situation. At first it felt like cramps, so I decided to take a hot shower but as I was getting in I feel a paralyzing sharp pain in my anus and vaginal area. I checked and had a blood clot the size of a kiwi. This was back in September(September 21 to be exact) I haven't had a period since. I freaked me out a lot! I've had the pain since but not that intense or any blood clots. DONT know what it is but its nice to know I'm not the only one going threw it.....
I need help as well I've been having these pains for about 24 hours I get really dizzy as well.   Pain pills won't even stop it.   And I'm pospardom of a c section 6 months and have ovarian cyst help
I have this too! It never happened to me until my 30s and its awful.  It feels like an intense pressure, kind of like labor pain, and lasts about 5 minutes for me.  I literally will crumble to the floor in a fetal type position, clenching my body and forcing myself to breath.  I had it happen in the car before and that was awful.  It comes before my period, sometimes during, and occasionally during ovulation.  I wonder what it is.
I just got this just after intercourse. At first it felt like my uterus balled up (I have 8 kids) even though I didnt climax-but then I got sharp hot shooting pains in my breast and down my abdomen into the vaginal muscles. Felt a lot like sharp gas pains only in the vaginal muscles and up my abdomen. My cervix felt like it was being torn open almost like I was forcably dilating. Im not pregnant and had my period first week of this month. I have bad ovulation pain and this is NOT that. I worry about fibroids or endo with pains like this. Im in a hot bath but theyre still there just not as intense. It's so awful!
I've been experiencing these symptoms for the last few months. At first, I thought I had appendicitis. Then I thought it might have been a kidney stone, and even a ruptured cyst. It turns out it was an inguinal hernia. They are very difficult to diagnose in women because the typical bulge of a hernia is not present. Also, diagnostic tests like a CT won't detect the problem unless you're symptomatic. For some reason, the symptoms seem to worsen around menstruation. I found an article on it, and it describes all of my symptoms perfectly. If not for this, I might never have known.

http://www.laparoscopytoday.com/2004/01/hernias_in_wome.html
This was the original article I read. These were the exact symptoms I was experiencing. I hope this can help someone.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/05/17/health/17brody.html?referer=&_r=1
OMG!! I'm having the pains right now as we speak..I actually got on here to find an answer.I haven't had this pain since high school,while being on my cycle. I haven't had a cycle in a little over a year,due to me having the mirena..Jesus this pain is unbearable..My fiancé just asked if I want him to massage me..I replied politely "please do not touch me." SOMBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Thank you so much, I'm going to look this up and hope it helps. :)
Reading all these answers with all the diverse issues makes me sad. I did have these pains sporadically when I was younger and had ovarian cysts. Haven't had the pains in years since. Just had a hysterectomy 6 days ago and the pains are back with a vengence. How can it be if I've removed my uterus supposedly getting rid of that pain only to replace with a different pain???? Plus no Dr's have diagnosis or remedies. I am extremely sad that I may end up with these pains for life.
I'm SO glad I'm not alone.  I've been dealing with this exact pain for over 40yrs but was never taken seriously by the doctors.  A few years ago while standing at the kitchen sink doing dishes & it hit me so hard, I passed out & hit the floor.  I can still recall the 1st time it happened - I was in elementary school sitting in class and it came on without warning.  An extremely sharp pain shooting through my anal area as if someone was stabbing me with a knife.  I couldn't breath.  It lasted for a few minutes & then disappeared as quickly as it came.  Over the past 40+ years I experienced it countless times & it's always the same - comes without warning so I'm unable to predict what's causing it.  It can last anywhere 2 to 5 minutes to as long as 15 minutes.  I never know how long it will last.   I've also experienced this pain under my rib cage (left & right) & also shooting through my vaginal area.    I've used the example of a blow torch & a knife to explain it over the years (to various doctors) but I've always felt I was never taken seriously.  

I haven't read all the responses, but I did notice several mentions of endometriosis.  Interestingly I was diagnosed with a "frozen pelvis" in the late 70's (at age of 15) & then about 10yrs later I was diagnosed with severe endo.  

I have got these pains for years and yes, it stops me in my tracks and its quick.  Sometime a couple stabs at a time.  And then it passes and I breathe again.  I've never understood what it is.  It's like a flash of lightening strikes up the front or back.  I can't related it to anything, ever.  But the facial expression I get, when I'm with people that will ask what's wrong.  But you freeze in that moment of pain.  I have yet to figure out what that is.  
Not sure why it posted with all the astricts ...  I wasn't swearing.  Hmmmm.  Hope you can still read it.
I just had that exact pain last night.  My two kids were fanning me because the pain was so unbearable that i was gonna pass out. No im not on my menstrual.  Like you save it comes without notice.  But it comes with vengeance.  This one was the longest and the worst. Yes worst than labor pains. So what is it?
I'm 24 and have had these type of pains since I was 16 around my period time! I thought it was normal period pains until I asked a few friends and no one else seems to suffer! It stops me in my tracks wherever I am and can't move until it passes! Doctors don't know what is it and they got worse when I tried the mirena so much so I had to have it taken out!!!
That is so crazy. That is what is going on with me, they thought I had PCOS but they can't see any evidence in my blood work anymore and they said the cysts on my ovaries weren't enough this time. So why can't them tell me why this is happening? I started on birth control for my acne and have had nothing but this pain of ovarian cysts popping and a shooting pain to my bottom since I started it a month ago. This pain is debilitating, I miss class and stay in bed with my best friend, my heating pad. They gave me anti-inflammatory pills but they don't do much. Has anyone's doctors given them a clue what it is?
I'm only 14 years old, turning 15 in less than a week. This morning I woke up, went upstairs and was fine until I went back down to my room to apply my makeup for school. I started getting these pains and thought nothing of it until I stood up and tried walking to tell my mom about it. I felt light headed and I had to sit on my knees, I felt like throwing up and I began sweating. I don't know what is going on; but I really need help. It won't go away.
Look up pudendal neuralgia. I have been dealing with this for 10 years. I've had over 8 surgeries and I even had a hysterectomy @ 28 because I was in so much pain. I would rather give birth to my oldest son again & he weighed 9lbs. I hope this help!
I'm experiencing this pain as we speak.I can't walk,cough,sneeze because of this pain.the difference with mines is it last a day or 2 .I was told its gas pains.
I have this issue after endometrosis, hysterectomy with ovary and tube removal. It was an emergency surgery and I was in icu after with severe sepsis. Now I have rheumatoid arthritis. After all the trauma my body has been through I discovered a pelvic floor therapist in my area. She says I have tight pelvic floor muscles due to all the trauma my abdomen has been through. I have push out exercises I have to do at home and at my appointments she gives my pelvic muscles stimulation through an "electronic tampon" is how I describe it. She also uses warm ultrasound to push into my tummy area to help break up scar tissue. I can say I feel a difference. I haven't been going that long so I do still have these sharp pains as you've described. But I am very optimistic about the treatment.
I have the same thing did you ever find out what this was it only comes during my period time
I have the SAME THING! I have experienced all three of these same pains in the same places. It started when I was 8 or 9 in the side under ribs. Terrible sharp, knife-like pain. I couldn't yawn just like you said! It hurt so bad to yawn and just wouldn't come out. Then, when I was 13 or 14 the vagina pains started happening. THESE ARE THE WORSE out of the three. It would wake me up in the middle of the night and last for about twenty minutes. Nothing helped, I cried for hours and was late to school  multiple times. I did go to the doctor for these pains and they didn't help much. They said it could be muscle spasms but they weren't sure. Now, I'm 16 and have the pains in my butt. It makes me pinch my butt cheeks together because it hurts so bad. I don't know if we have any of the other same health conditions but I also have pretty bad asthma. I have read up that these pains could have to do with your period, but these pains started before I even got my period at age 15, so I'm thankful the other pains have stopped and am praying for the best for me and you!:)
that's exactly what has been happening to me. I'm 16. & these pains started out of no where about 2 months ago & I went to the doctor for it and they said I had some bacteria down in my tubes, so he was thinking maybe that's what's causing the pain. so they out me on medicine for a week. & a couple weeks later, which is now I'm having them so much worse it's been going on for hours a day. like today it woke me up at night and I couldn't go back to sleep and I couldn't sit down this morning because how sharp and painful it was. so I tried going to school but had to come home because it was so bad now I'm home and there even worse. Another thing is that I just started my period this morning when the pain started. so I deff. think it relates to our periods. but I just want the pain to go away.
If you use tampons be very careful to use the size you need and try and stay away from them when your period is almost over when your flow is light because it sounds like Toxic shock.
I just had back surgery for a torn L4-L5 disk and a week later my back swelled up from my tail bone to my rib cage and now all the skin from rib cage to bottom of butt is numb and with every movement I get these exact hot electric shocks sometimes I have a warning of heat feeling and sometimes it just happens standing is the only thing that makes it stop sitting makes it the worst antibiotics aren't helping and the strong high dose pain meds don't help at all! I can't even drive as my legs and whole body jump and I scream ouch uncontrollably when it happens
im having the exact same pains right now they are getting un bearable and lassting longer htan they ever have before im trying to sea rch the internet to find out what it is. If i try to jolt up to quickly the pain is excruciating. Even if i try and shout it hurts more its whenever i try to walk or tense my muscles to shout that it becomes unbearable where i have to bend my knees a little and ride each pain out. Theyve never lasted this long before and its really starting to worry me xx
Reading these posts nice to see I am not alone in my world of pain that is unbearable.Lived with this unpredicatable shooting lightining pain for over 10 years.Now this disease as I see it is leaving me unable to manage my life ,work and sex life. I am a very positive person but its robbing me of even that now.
Sorry for spelling errors, typed it all on
my iPhone which had a small screen and did not do spell check of course!
Your absolutely correct about the doctors not responding to this problem.  I was having that pain as well I was trying to find a solution online hoping I can get an answer before I go and see a doctor and they can't find the answer to my problem then wasting my money to pay them even if you have insurance there the copay part you have to fork out.  Sometime I wonder what are doctors really for?  When they can't help us in finding a cure for our pain. They make all that money for nothing.  It is frustrating sometime.
I have had a STABBING pain in my vagina area- literally like someone jabbed a knife up my vagina with no warning whatsoever. It grabs me and about takes me to my knees in pain. It only lasts a few seconds but man, wipes me out. I've found no pattern as to when it happens. Have had it happens about 6 times in the last couple months. I'm 57, not pregnant, and had a hysterectomy about 12 years ago. I do still have my ovaries. It's been about a year since my last pap so thinking I should go have this checked out. Kinda scarey!!
Hi all- I have these pains, and have been diagnosed with proctalgia fugax. This pain is excruciating. The doctor gave me an albuterol inhaler, a topical cream, and said to drink a lot of water. The pain has made me cry for 20 minutes at a time.
I too am experiencing what u are explaining but it is not as bad and only last a few seconds , it happens only when I am menstruating and have hold in my urine for a long period of time ...
I have recently been getting these pains. I went for a smear test the other day and mentioned it to the nurse and she said to mention it to the doctor when I'm next in. Mine is in the back and front and also when I have sex it really hurts where it hasn't before. I have just been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries so whether it has something to do with that I don't know. Also have had irritable bowel since I was a teenager and it could be down to that too. I don't have periods as I have the implant in so I can't put it down to that.
I know this is an old post but I have just recently experienced this proctalgia and let me tell you it is not gas anyone who says that it's only gas has no idea I felt like I was having a baby with the contractions that I had and the pain I never want to go through that again it's actually contractions of the pelvic and it causes a lot of pain and it actually takes your breath away it's so severe
I have these "ovulation spasms" as well. They are excruciating!! And you're all right. When pain is building, you can't sit. To get any relief, I typically have to do a full squat & massage by bottom (sorry for that descriptor but it's true!). The worst 1 that I had  lasted at various times for a day & a half. I had to take off work because they were subsequent contractions. Over the counter pain meds do help me, so that the pain is dull and less intense, but the sensation is still there. Very terrible!
This happens to me too!
I have the same issue. The pain seems like it it both anal and vaginal.It normally comes around the time of my period but im not due for my menstrual til the end of the month. Im currently laying on my couch hoping to pass gas.. Sometimes passing wind seems to help. Has anyone figured out what this could be?!
I'm actually going through same type of pain right now as I typed this and mine has been lasting like this for a whole 30 mins now it started of hurting a little bit then later it's started to progress even worse. I freaked out because I never felt pain like that ever I felt like dieing I couldn't move or breath. And my dad gave me half a Norco to take for the pain so I hope it kicks in soon. I feel so much pressure it's a horrible pain to go through. It's been already 30 mins and the pain is still there not as bad but it's still feels very painful. I have a heating pad on my stomach and pelvis right now which usually helps ease the pain off a bit.