Shooting pain through vagina and anus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 601-786 comments:
I have had this off an on for several years.  Many doctors do not know what it is.  I continued to research it until I found out exactly what it was called and is there anything that can be done to cure or fix it.  
Here is what I found out:
It is called Proctalgia Fugax
The best way I get over it is when I feel it coming on, I know it is a spasm. And since putting pressure on my anal area seems to help it go away, now that is what I do. If i am at home I get a towel and lay it over the bathtub side and stradle it and push on my rectum and vaginal area until it goes away. ususally in 10-20 minutes.  If I am at work, I go to the bathroom and push down on the toilet seat with my rectum.  I just try and relax because it is a spasm.  Nothing more to worry about, but nothing to fix it either.  A warm bath will help if you have the time.  The main thing is to try and relax, and know that it is not serious.  Here is a website for additional reading:  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proctalgia_fugax
Sincerely, Gail RN
I'm 15 and going in and out of sharp shooting pain vaginal and anal as i'm typing this. It hurts me to sit and stand and basically to be alive.  I've noticed when im at school they dont bug me as much, but when im at home and just sitting around they come hard. Especially when im sitting on the toilet that's when they are terrible and i feel i should be rushed to the hospital. Advil and a hot compress really make a temporary difference. Also my mom, her 2 sisters, and my grandma used to get the same cramps, so im assuming it's hereditary. Someone help!
I'm 15. Ive had a vaginal pain also around it for about a yr now. This happens usually around and during my period. Its not a severe pain but it is discomforting. I haven't went to a doctor and i am a very worried person. I dont know if this is normal and if i should worry about it. I usually dont have bad cramps when im on my period or headaches. Just moody but i think thats normal. Then reading all these comments it making me start to think something could be wrong with me. Help please!
Omg I haven't heard someone say that, and I have asked .... I told my doc that years ago It turned out to be a form of gas pains! imagine! of course I didn't believe him but I tried it any how cause the pain would get so bad I couldn't move till it stopped like I froze but he was right !
After that I went right to the store to look and got gas-x  I took 2 pills and low and behold the shock pains stopped,  it stopped , and didn't come back. so now any time I get a start of that feeling I take one or 2 and its gone. My mom said yea that's because u use to hold back all the time well sorry when I was younger it wasn't a good Idea to fart in front of a guy lmaso! now that I am married I just don't care lol  but don't hold it back anymore it ant worth the ouch ! just say better out then in. lol
But I also forgot to add My mom has gastritis now shes 61. and that is hereditary .. But after reading all the comments if that don't help go to a doc or 2 get different opinions good cause ya never know. always safe then sorry.  
Hi I don't know if you still have these pains but I have the same exact problem. Did you ever find out what it is?
Some of you might consider that your anal symptoms might be internal hemorrhoids. When mine gets bad (larger) there is a lot of anal pressure and it hurts to sit or pass gas or stools. It's harder to pass gas and stools as well. Another consideration for some of you might be various types of prolapse, such as Rectocele, enterocele, sigmoidocele, etc. This is where things prolapse into your vagina. There is also Vaginal prolapse. Your bladder can also prolapse into your vagina. One sign of Rectocele is if you have to push poop out using your fingers from the inside/backside of your vagina. A GYN can diagnose these if they do their job right. Hope this info helps.
Did anyone find any answers for this? Please let me know.
you need to go to a doctor immediately,my mother had that and then one day it was unbearable, come to find out she had and ovarian sist t that had burst and she had to have a hysterectomy, please , please get that checked out. please, its the worst pain ever.
I have had shooting pains through  my vagina and anus for about 20 years off and on.  I've had several surgeries for endometriosis, followed by fibroids being removed, then had a hysterectomy (kept my ovaries at the time). now I've just had one ovary and both tubes removed due to cysts and severe adheshions. So the only thing I have left now is one ovary.  I have suffered nerve pain from this recent surgery that is around the incision.  They have done ultrasounds, CT, and an MRI.  The only thing they can come up with is the remaining ovary has some cysts on it. A week after all those tests I got those horrible pains again. I honestly beleive that the vaginal and anal pain is coming from ruptured ovarian cysts.  I can tell when they rupture  because I get this awful pain and pressure down there it almost feels like a mass infection or something.  I've always contributed it to the endometriosis, but now I think it's from ruptured ovarian cysts.  For the last 4 months the pain kept getting worse and worse, I've had sonograms every other week showing the cysts growing then shrinking. but the problem was my body was not obsorbing them and I had a large amount of fluid in there. thats why I had to have this recent surgery.  the doc thought it was endometriomas (blood filled cysts caused by endometriosis). but turns out it was clear fluid cysts. nothing to worry about.  The entire 4 months I had shooting pains through my vagina and anus, which I truly beleive was agrivated by all that fluid in there.  right after the surgery, that pain was gone.  
Hi I too have been suffering theses pains for the last 3 months and it occurs everyday these pains are unbearable I have been to my doctor who referred me to A&E to be told it was problems to do with my type 1 diabetes. Even though it was under control and sent home only to be admitted again less then 24 hrs later. This went on for a few weeks and finally they decide to run tests do scans and xrays finally the found I had ovarian cysts on my left ovary 1 of which was 4cm by 4cm which had ruptured and was leaking fluid and I also had lots of smaller cysts I was finally rushed in for emergency surgery to have them removed. This was done by key hole surgery and. The cysts were removed. After a couple of weeks I thought the op was successful but unfortunately the pains returned just as bad I have started collapsing being sick almost everyday because the pain is so sore I have agin been in and out of hospital with loads of tests and scans being done again only for doctors and surgeons to be baffled and not being able to help or give me an answer of what is causing this to happen they have told me iam a mystery which is not what I want to hear at all I just want my life back and to be diagnosed properly to get this treated. So if any1 does find out what is causing all theses pains we are suffering please please please lut us know.

hi I dont understand this either I have the same problem ever so often and I thought I was the only one in the universe and something was wrong I'm 16 and I don't really want to tell my mom or the doc. if anyone finds out what this sharp pain that shoots throughout the vagina and anal area could u please please please let me know I'm a little worried and frightened and by the way I've never had sex
I have the exact problem but the pain last at least 15 mins and I'm only 16...I'm not sure what it is I haven't gone to the doctor Im scared of the outcome buts its been going on for like two years and it happends before or durring my period I don't know what to do
ive had this pain to from i was 15 the pain rips thro my vagina and then shoots out my bum it builds up to extreme pain in the vagina then in my bum then starts over again an again it can last nething from mins to hours wen its at its worst an then days of just random shooting pains it hurts to laugh cough or move an if i do it triggers it of again ive had a laproscopy done an a dye test on my tubes 1 is blocked i also have a tilted womb and ibs and i had a scan which showed cysts on my ovaries but wen i had the lap done they had dissapeared i also tried to conceive 4 5 years an never got pregnant tramadol didnt even help this pain i just want to no wat is wrong with me cause obviousley something is xx
i have serere pain in my right vaginal and groin area when i sit down, it groin area and into the back of my anus, serere throbbing, moving as if i have a large to medium stick in my groin, it fells like a spider in growing in
me. it a burning and sharp pain 24/7. i have been to atlease 15 doctors and they say take these pain pills to fell better (wrong) it cannoe at be seen in xray, nor have anyone done a microvascular scan. im so depress and my mind is tell me to do other things thay why i dont keep atlot of pills in my home. i need help, cant sleep,cant work, sore when i stand and pain,when i sit more pain throbbing hard thing in my body. i do believe it is a translant persaite, bug or spider in me. are doctors afried to do exporate and scrape the area i know they will fine the problem.
Has anyone taken diflucan/flucanazole a month or less before experiencing this pain?

I highy reccomed all women- they must have thier good gynecological exam/tests (if required) atleast once, may be there might be something serious-its worth having check up earlier stage.

Now let me talk about comments here-  I just gone though reading first few comments, wht I found is tht majority of us is suffering from- dysmenorhea( menstural pain) or dull pain before periods to a bearble extent is a common problem and some some women may get leg cramps, thigs camps- all this is just due to High Prostaglandin level in blood- which can be treated just by simple- analgsic like tylenol- BUT it can be something serious-as I mentioned above its worth atleast once to have proper check up by good gynecologist.

Now lets talk about unbearable pain- those with shooting vaginal and anal pain- there's plenty of causes but i would like discuss only common and serious one- which is ENDOMETRIOSIS- in which normal lining tissue of  Uterus move to another place like- Ovaries bowel or the tissue lining your pelvis.A process called retrograde menstruation is a likely explanation for endometriosis. In retrograde menstruation, menstrual blood containing endometrial cells flows back through the fallopian tubes and into the pelvic cavity instead of out of the body. These displaced endometrial cells stick to the pelvic walls and surfaces of pelvic organs, where they grow and continue to thicken and bleed over the course of the menstrual cycle.

Rarely, endometrial tissue may spread beyond your pelvic region.
thats why sometime female suffer with ANAL PAIN or PAIN WITH BOWEL MOVEMENT and they stop going rest room for defecation due to fear of pain- becuase pain is so intense- some time vaginal pain or describe MENSTURAL PAIN- that's far worse than usual. They also tend to report that the pain has increased over time. sometime PAIN DURING INTERCOURSE, sometime excessive bleeding & INFERTILITY-See your doctor if you have signs and symptoms that may indicate endometriosis. The cause of chronic or severe pelvic pain may be difficult to pinpoint. But discovering the problem early may help you avoid unnecessary complications and pain.

Thankyou all for reading- I hope it may help but what all I mention above is just a possiblty but it can be something else- please do your reserch as well and consult with gynecologist at your area.

Hello glasgowgirl- did doctor's tell you what kind of cyst was it that they removed
Follicular cyst:
Corpus luteum cyst
Hemorrhagic cyst
Dermoid cyst
Endometriomas or endometrioid cysts
Polycystic-appearing ovary
Cystadenoma
Simple/ complex cyst... etc etc theres many

Thnakyou for shariing- I would like to know more about you, if you don't mind sharing further. I pray you get well soon
Man, I was having the same issue today, it's why I am googling the comment.  It scared the crap out of me.  When I went to the bathroom the "contractions" would get worse.  I feel like I am in labor without being in labor.  It just started from last night and I thought it might have been caused by the meat I ate last night because it was so rare.  But, that is most certainly not it.  Then I wondered about kidney stones, but it's not around my kidneys.  I am confused.
I suffered these pains for years, I had polycystic ovaries, endemetreosis and IBS and thought that these pains were due to these conditions.  10yrs ago I had a full hysterectomy including the removal of my ovaries and cervix. The shooting pains stopped straight away or so I thought, unfortunately I had these pains last night which caught me by surprise.
I have spoken to my GP about the chances of getting endemetreosis after a hysterectomy as I have read that you can still get it and he said you cant.  I also get throbbing leg pains which Ive had for 22yrs which Ive been told could be nerve pain from scar tissue which I dont believe as I was 15 when it first started and didnt have scar tissue then.  
Consultants will blame conditions as the reason for pain as they have no idea themselves.  I have had a hysterectomy so I shouldnt have any pain if thats the case but I do.  I bet they will say its scar tissue next as they havent got a clue!
Hi Guys. I have suffered with this severe pain myself. I often feel like ppl wont understand how i feel even if i explain it. I have a hard time going and have to put my feet up on somethinbg high while sitting on the toilet seatin order to not feel like im gonna die with pain... it even goes down to my inner thighs!

i notice that whenever i eat anything heavy like flour and too much meats i have more pain. Staying flushed out helps a lot. Fiber helps too. I hope this helps and i am going to see a nerve doctor next week to see if this is a nuerological issue.. respond with if you can.. thanks xoxo
Omg for a few years now I have been looking on the net for ppl hu have experienced this sort of pain. I have had this pain on and off for about 7 years ever since I started puberty. I know when its coming, only way I can describe it is, feels like a bubble is blowing up in the abdomen and it suddenly pops and its soo unbearable. I get shooting pains in my bum and up my vagina my belly bloats out so much I can't stand to touch it. Iv never had kids but if I cld describe how it feels is like I'm in labour. I have to breath in and out like someone having contractions. I can't sit dwn coz the shooting pain gets worse I try to lay on my side but no matter what I do I'm still uncomfortable. It's the worse thing ever, iv got endometriosis, but my gyno arnt helpful at all. I hope this has helped u as much as its helped me. Thankyou x x
i am 22 years old and I am experiencing, essentially, a cramp in my anus and in my vagina whenever I have a bowel movement. It's only happened twice now, but I was concerned. I can sit just fine, but any time that I stand up after, it feels like I am having this horrible cramping sensation. I was not sure if it was a sign of pregnancy or anything else. I also have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and am taking metphormin and birth control to try to get a handle on the situation. I'm not sure if this is a symptom of this, but I've been taking the Metphormin for almost a month now and this is the worst that it's ever gotten.
Heya,I had this last year when i was 5 weeks pregnant,the pain started in the right of my womb like where my falopian tube was and i felt it in my anus as well ...didn't seem right at all,then i had light bleeding,turned out the pregnancy was ectopic.I have never had this pain before and i've once had a mis carriage and an ovarian cyst...
i am 15, and i have my period and i'm bleeding slightly but not too much, and i get these pains and almost fall over because of it and i dont know what to think or to do. but it hurts so bad. and i have never had a baby so i dont know if its worse than labor pains. anyone help me?
i think that's middleschmertz
this is what they call the stabbing pain you get when ovulating. =) like a really sharp pain in your anus or v.. or in between =) it could last for days.
i tend to get that sometimes but it doesn't last long.thank God. i just experienced that yesterday in school.
I get a dull ache in my anus and vagina at the same time it often wakes me in the night i have had this for a few years. The firsy time i had it i fainted as the pain was so strong. Now im getting a pain in my anus wen i poop like a sharp pin sticking into my skin side on it makes me shout out. I have no blood in that area.
  I have been getting excruciating spasms for years now. It throbs in my lower rectum. So low I can touch the spot if I insert my finger. NOT to be confused with the common MIS diagnosis of IBS!
  History...42, mom of 4. C-section, fixed(also removed R ovary w\out telling me). Cysts removed 3t. Suffer from heart, lupus, thyroid, etc. Dad had pollups removed at 39.
  Attacks either wake me up at night or happen after an orgasm. Used to happen once a few months and last for 30min. And now happen every couple of weeks or more frequent, and pain can last up to 36 hrs straight.    
  1st. Most Dr.s are unfortunately Morons. Most have NO manners and think we are there to get attn. or cop drugs.
  2. It is definitely FOOD related. I believe bread is bringing it on for me. (insulting that we have to hunt for GLUTEN FREE food!)  FDA should shut down gluten food production period.
  3. Keep journal of what you eat when you have an attack. Im telling you its in the FOOD!
  4. Gas definitely has something to do with the pain. I dont know how but found out after passing gas eventually at end of attacks.(no pain from gas or feeling of. Just passed it at end of attacks)
  5. I have found that giving myself an enema can make the attack go away faster. (no there is no urge to have a BM or to pass gas, but tried it to see what would happen...in so much pain it couldnt hurt. But it makes things move down the track, thus readjusting whatever is causing the pain, thus making it go away a little faster.)
  I cannot say it enough...it is in the FOOD! I DO have 1 ?
  Half say AVOID fiber, other half say TAKE fiber? Which is it?
  TO EAT OATMEAL OR NOT? THAT IS THE QUESTION...
  God love all of you. It kills me to know so many are in pain like me.
I have same pain - about once a month. I metioned it to a friend and she said she had had it and the doctor told her it was ovulation. She was put on birth control for it and it helped. She got off recently because she wants to get pregnant and the pain returned, so maybe it is. Idk. Going ti my doctor soon as I probly need a hysterectomy anyway but the ovaries would still be there so I guess the pain would too.
I have come to the conclusion that the pain in both my vaginal an anal area comes from gas pressure, because once I get rid of it my pain is gone and I usually only get this pain around ovulation.
I think this is all tied to interstitial cystitis, which I believe is a super fungal or yest infection, if not a bacterial infection. Yes, it's very much tied to food, I think.
When that started to happen to me i ignored it , finally went to OBGYN sent me to do a vaginal ultrasound and a abdomenal (abdominal) ultrasound they found a tumor size of a volley ball in my stomach and a cyst in my vaginal leftside .When u say vagina shut dwn that freaked me out ..sex was  painful u name it but had surgery to remove issues now honey no more problems no more periods no more kids .. but get with ur doctor and let them run test after test stay strong
I'm having Sharp abdominal pains n pains in my anus....me n my partner jus finish having sex doggy style but it was n my vagina why my *** cramping up....
well im a man (33) and have got the shooting pain lasting a second or two in the last few years and only every few months at random. usually starting around anus or somewhere in the intestine and shooting forward. intense enough to double you over. this isnt unique to women.

it could be a number of things but i think its muscle cramp somewhere around the anus (Proctalgia fugax possibly) brought on by gas.
i am having this pain now. i also had it last month the pain was so bad and last most of the day with out a break. i dont know what to do. i am afriad to go to yhe doctor. me and my hubby have been try to get pregnant and i am afriad they will say some is really wrong
Im 20 years old and i have had this pain even way before i got married and became sexually active. i recently found out that my uterus is retroverted, which means its not in the normal place, but slightly tilted towards the anus. i found it hurts more when im constipated, so fibre, fibre, fibre!!!
I don't think it's ovary pain, because i have been in menopause since 2006 and I get excruciating pains shooting up through my vaginal canal every now and then.  It hurts like hell and I makes me stop what I am doing. I double over in pain.  it only last for a minute and then I don't feel it again for another week or so,  very strange indeed..I have no idea what it could be
Are you sure it was the size of a volley ball? a volleyball is pretty big. ??
Really in pain with have been for age really black bood then nothin then have sex n in shocking pain
I am on fluconozale right now.....
It started as a sharp spasm in by butt and slowly moved o my vagina area. Manly on the "head" or the top of my vagina. It hurts to sit, walk, the only way i can walk is if i stick my butt out. If i sit in the bath tub the pain decreases. I have alot of pressure in my rectum but if i push the spasm is unbearable. I peed and when i looked into the toilet when i finished there were dark red,pink, and white small pieces of skin inside the bottom of the toilet, if put together they amounted to about the circumfrance of a penny. I have experienced this once before but it only lasted for 10 minutes. This time it's way longer.
help? thankyou
I am going to go out on a limb and say it sounds like Endometriosis.

I was diagnosed with Stage IV endo 4 yrs ago and for 15 yrs I had rectal and vaginal pain. Mostly on my period or when ovulating but sometimes even randomly like when I was driving. I was constipated for years and I was told forever that it was IBS

They found a rectovaginal nodule which was the culprit to all the pain i was having. I barely get that pain anymore since my surgery.
I am experiencing some of the same symptoms.  Although these symptoms have been ongoing for a least five yrs,  I just went to the doctor today. We're starting off with doing a series of occult blood stools and then a ct of the of pelvic area. My symptoms, at first would appear once or twice a month and then sometimes wouldn't come back for months. But now, the symptoms are 4-5 times daily and starts off as a light shooting pain that intensifies to a crippling spasm that will not let up for about 20 seconds and then it's gone for a little while. Seems as if the MDs are puzzled.  I guess its a problem that has yet to be diagnosed. Ill checked back in with my results and hopefully it will help someone else going through the same thing as I. Last but not least...PRAY TO GOD FOR AN ANSWER.
hi!same here.only the pain in my anus for a few seconds before and during my period. i still haven't consulted an obgyn. but i once watched in tyra show an episode about periods and a lady asked why she had gas problems during her period the doctor said that the factors that cause us to menstruate may affect organs near it. that's why the lady had gas problems. our uterus is near our anus and vagina so pains in these areas might be caused by what causes us to menstruate. :)
I just had an appendectomy and removal of my ovary. I had a cyst the size of a small watermelon which was causing me a great deal of pain. It has been two weeks since. I feel great except for the pains just like what you guys are describing. It shoots out of nowhere and doesn't stop until I am absolutely still. I have a follow up appointment with my ob gyn this week. I will be sure to tell him about the pains. I just hope they are from gas or leftover from surgery.
the pains could be gall stones hun or traped gas i have ibs and get the pains you have mentiond mine also only last a few secound x
A few months ago I had the same pain everyone has mention.  Until a few minutes ago.  I was just seating at the kitchen counter and I felt the pain coming on; I manged to get up stairs to lay down, pain just intensified worse.  I was ex-termly warm, sweating in the face even.  That's how bad the pain was.  Like a severe cramp.  Pain level 1 to 10; my pain off the chart.  So if any one can explain what is going on or why this is happen.  Please let all us know.  Until then I will be making an appointment.  
keep us posted, ok?
I have policystic ovarian syndrum or however its spelled and that is the same pain I get and its from my cysts
Iam so happy to be reading this I thought there was seriously something wrong with me. The pain is unberable but doesn't last long thank god. I do think the pain is related to gas for me because after the shooting pain I release gas. When I'm out and I can't do that the pain is much worse and lasts longer. I have an appt made with my doctor but until then does anyone know what can help this?  
Levator Ani Syndrome: Copy & Paste this link in your browser! :)

http://www.bethshelly.com/pdfs/Levator%20ani%20syndrome.pdf
Im 48 and I have had a urinary tract infection for 4 weeks now. My Doctor has put me on 2 different antibiotics and I'm still not getting better I have burning when I urinate and constantly feel like I have to urinate. It gets worse when I lay down at night. With these symptoms I have pressure inside my anal cavity. It doesn't hurt when I have a bowel movement. Although I must say I have had that off & on for a year now. I feel like someone as stuck a broom handle up my anal cavity. Im not sure if the pressure and the infection are related to same thing. Can anybody help me.
What almost all of you have, and I know because I had it to, is myofascial pain syndrome. I went through eight doctors and two surgeries before I finally found. A wonderful doctor in the uro-gynecology department at Loyola University in Chicago, says she see's this quite frequently and is always misdiagnosed by other doctors.
I went to a special physical therapist who works with this type of pain. These P.T.'s are opening up a new field for men and women who have lower abdominal pain. Please ask your doctor about this. These conditions are sometimes affiliated with Fibromyalgia. But for sure they will involve trigger points, trigger point injections and slot of work with well informed physical therapist. I live in Chicago. If I can help you in any way, please contact me. I went through hell with the pain I was having until I found knowledgable doctors who think outside the box. My email address is ***@**** good luck!
I just had this episode last nite and it was terrifying. It was similar to what spooky experienced. I felt the onset of the tightening towards left side of my buttock near the anus and subsequently radiating on the left side of the vagina. I felt if I had b.m it would relieve the pain but sitting on toilet and gasping for breath didi not help. The pain was excruciating. I began to sweat, saw shooting stars and was almost ready to pass out. My labor pains were a breeze in comparison to this and I have a fairly strong threshold of pain. I googled my symptoms and was gratified to know I am not going crazy. I know it is not funny when you are experiencing but some of the posts have had me laughing so hard with tears rolling down my face. I can so relate to all of you suffering out there. I sincerely hope someone out there comes up with a solution to put us out of our misery!!!
Oh my goodness!  I had a few of these tonight, and I almost dropped my baby!  I had to lay down on my bed immediately and couldn't move till it was over.  I then went downstairs and told my husband to keep his phone on him just in case I need to call him from the bedroom upstairs to take me to the ER.  I thought it was the beginning of gall bladder problems until I found this thread.  It happened a few times tonight and a few times on my life before, but with no consistency or pattern at all, and I've only had them one at a time before, not several in one night like tonight.  Good luck and thanks!
What you describe , sounds like symptoms of endometriosis . You might want to go to you Gyno. And talk to them about it.
i see this is an old thread---just my two cents, i also think its gas or irritable bowel-your bowels can do strange things, and gas pain can be incredibly pain ful, for some reasons the dopey doctors dont see this...i actually have pain sometimes when i try to urinate and finally a resident, yes it took a young female resident to diagnosis with the doctor standing next to her, that it could be bowel; your bowel is incredibly long and if its inflamed at all you can have problems where you wouldnt normally think.
I have also been getting pains in the vagina mine every now and then are a pain is stitch and then just throbbing pain and can be quite painful but not as bad as the pain as some of you are describing..I've had internal scans and nothing came up and sti checks again nothing..I also get what is known as BV a lot a fishy discharge wih is nt nice but that didn't come up within swab results..I know something is wrong but I've had no luck finding an answer I'm 21 and even contemplating an early smear..I thought it might have been endo or pelvic inflammatory before my scan now I'm just disheartened has anyone else suffered a similar thing?
I experience occasional sharp shooting pain in the anal and vaginal areas. However, I don't have pain when I have a bowel movement. I have been feeling like some kind of mass, something inside my anus, not painful, just there. And today was the first time when I had a darker poop which looked a little bloody. My period started over a week ago and it's still "trickling" a bit. I'm 45, and I also have a thickened endometer and large fibroid cysts. I'm afraid I might have anal or colon cancer. I'm considering a colonoscopy. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Thanks.
Omg please tell me that some one went to doctor!!! Cause I am having this bad shooting pain in anus OMG!! I went to the doctor a. Week ago I just lost my baby (miscarriage)an I have been feeling this pain every sense an yesterday the pain got so bad when I was laying in bed I turn to my side an open my legs an blood started to flow from my virgina an it seems like when the bleeding stops in my vaginal area the pain in my anus is a mess lord please tell me that someone has answer!! This pain is killing me !!
I have that same pain it usually happens when im sleep n it feel like someone stabbing me its really scary I just pray to god its nothing lager n it goes away
I suggest you go get checked now. My mom had same problems but since she had a full hysterectomy she thought it couldn't be serious she was wrong they found a tumor in her vagina. They said she has vagina cancer and gave her 3-6months they said it is incurable. Please think of your families and get checked. She's on her last few days now bedridden and needs 24//7 care and is only 51 years old she was always the care giver but not nomore.
hi all.. im 22 and have been gettin this exact pain through my anus ive always had this but now its more up the left side of my vagina tube if that makes sence?  my clitoris has also become incredibly and painfully sensitive. ive also always sffered heavy periods that usually come late or not at all. i used to get excrusiating pain but only when i was on at 14.. now its pretty constant most times of the month and can become so severe i feel like i am going to pass out, particularly on my left ovary. they thought i had polycystic ovaries but my mum had a big cyst on her ovaries and when removing it they discovered emsometriosis (excuse the spelling). im gettin worried because of how rapidly the pain has become unbareable over the past year and wondered if anyone was in the same position as me or maybe recognised whats happening to me? my drs are brilliant tbh but i am having to wait another week before they give me an ultra sound and im so scared i will have to have an op =o( xxx sami
hi all.. im 22 and have been gettin this exact pain through my anus ive always had this but now its more up the left side of my vagina tube if that makes sence? my clitoris has also become incredibly and painfuly sensitive.  ive also always sffered heavy periods that usually come late or not at all. i used to get excrusiating pain but only when i was on at 14.. now its pretty constant most times of the month and can become so severe i feel like i am going to pass out, particularly on my left ovary. they thought i had polycystic ovaries but my mum had a big cyst on her ovaries and when removing it they discovered emsometriosis (excuse the spelling). im gettin worried because of how rapidly the pain has become unbareable over the past year and wondered if anyone was in the same position as me or maybe recognised whats happening to me? my drs are brilliant tbh but i am having to wait another week before they give me an ultra sound and im so scared i will have to have an op =o( xxx sami
Ive been have a lot of the same symptoms as many people whi have posted on here for the past 3 years. Ive been checked for cysts, I had a ultra sound done on my ovareries that showed nothing, Ive had every blood test under the sun and everything seems to be normal. I never wanted to admit it but I also pain that starts right below my stomach then it shoots down to my vagina and extends the my anus( well butt hole). sorry theres no nice way to post that. Ive also had severve nausea and I'm throwing up a lot. and no, im not nor have I ever been pregnant..  Doctors havent been able to find out whats wrong with me but Ive also been to embarrassed to tell them all my symptoms. Im going to the doctors tomorrow morning to see what they say. Ill check back in when I get some info.
Tested and they thought I had Endometrosis, but I didnt. Doctors are dumbfounded and just gave me some 800 mg Naproxen. I had an episode today, with my 8 yr old in the car, she was scared to death, as I was screaming, in so much pain. I made it home, took 2 Alleve and got my hot pack and went to bed....after about 2 hours, I was fine.  I just hate going thru this because it happens anytime, anywhere, not just near my mentral cycle time.
I get this pain the first to second day of my period, and sometimes (rarely) for no reason? But i read that it is due to cramping, usually we'll have abdominal pain from uteran cramping but in severe cases we'll have more pelvic cramping that can cause the vaginal and rectal pain, and sometimes shooting pains down one legg.  Its blamed on hormones during menstration, and nothing can stop it, rest is not recommended, it can make the cramps worse, all we can do is stay healthy, stay away from intaganists like caffine and carbs, take up to 1000mg of vitamin d ( it is a critical vit.for muscle health and can cause you undue pain if your levels are down) and take ibuprofen 400-800mg every 4-6hours as needed, you can buddy this with tylenol 500-1000mg every 4-6hours as well, eat a small meal or snack to avoid more pain from the ibuprofen.  If these things dont work talk to a doctor and you could be prescribed pain medication, just be sure to tell them what youve already tried, otherwise they will give you 400 600 or 1000mg ibuprofen. Torridol can be effective, but usually a narcotic will be prescribed, they wont be effective for stoping muscular cramping like the ibuprofen, so take both along with vitamin d and you should notice that the pain wont be such a threat, good luck to all,  take care.
errr..  ibuprofen doesnt come in 1000mg., i meant 800mg. But again this pain is usually associated with the menstral cycle, but other factors can be to blame, hormonal changes not associated with menstration, sress related issues, immune system, low vitamin d levels, constipation, compression of those muscles from sitting to long, injury, tampon use (can irritate the cirvix wich is connected to to long line of vaginal-uterine and pelvic muscles) and others related to the long line of disorders like endometriosis etc..but also other disorders and diseases like fibromialgia (fibromyalgia), multiple sclerosis, systic fibrosis, all of wich go back to the immunesystem factors, low vitamin levels in the body, and hormonal issues. Thyroid disorders can be a factor as well, also dehydration, you could be drinking alot of water, but not realize that your electrolite levels are off? Medications can cause these imbalances, as well as caffine (coffee tea soda etc.) when you drink these things you must increase your water intake to maintain proper organ health. Dehydration can cause problems in digestion of what you eat, kidney function (filters your blood) heart health, improper oxygen dispursement through blood(wich can damage your heart and brain overtime) illness from buildup of toxins in the body,  skin dryness, muscle cramps and spasms, etc..all this plus more can happen without knowing it till its uncomfortable to live or possibly cause serious health issues? No need to  seek medical assistance unless you feel its nesessary, try increasing water intake and vitamins, and if needed include a multi meneral vitamin with your usual vitamin regimin, eat healthy limit caffine drinks, sleep at least 6hours a night and exercise regularly to maintain proper overall health. This seems simly stupid and totally off subject but you have to focus on long term over all health, i have both m.s. And fibromialgia (fibromyalgia), and ive suffered these with vaginal-rectal (general groin area) and legg pains for almost 3years, i take pain meds and they werent helping at first, so i decided to go long term result and changed my routine slightly and now the intensity of the pains is less, it doesnt last as long and when im lucky my menstral cycle is also more in control(thats harder to control than the phisical issues) good luck to all, hopefully science can invent some sort of releif for these issues :)
Hi their, I used to be curled up with period pain at your age also. I found that walking or bike riding helped the pain as it helped the blood flow which is the cause sometimes, it frees the flow. When you do have children one day, you will find that these symptons pass. Good luck!

did u get an answer to this as me and my husband r trying to get pregnant and im going through the same pains?

ta
I use to have them very bad too. But I haven't had an attack for about 6 months now. The same exact time I started going to the Chiropractor 3 times a week for adjustments for fibromyalgia and arthritis. There are different types of circuit therapy exercises that I go thru every time I go like the Vibration machine, massage chair, knee bends while leaning against the wall with a back roll, and joint injections that I cannot remember the name of at the moment, a type of plant extract not steroids.
http://www.tidesoflife.com/  Check out this site for info on vulvadynia it is very likely. I'm going to get checked. but the pains i get i also experience in my bottom at times so bad it lifts me off my seat like iv been literally jabbed in or up my backside then followed by a series of continuous acute short sharp stab like bursts of pain. when i don't get them in my butt i get the same pain in my .. either outer vagina area or un the bones in that area they're so sharp definite &deepseeded so much its like I'm being kicked so hard it shocks me
Hi I to have had this bad pain  deep inside my vagina / anal  area for years it also creeps into my groin area.  I had a hystorectomy 10+ years ago and am still getting these pains. Mine usually happen during the night and  is very pain full, i am also having hot sweats/flushes and menapause symptoms. I was told years ago my overys had shrunk but was told last night by a womans health doctor that after discribing my symptoms i may still have a ovary and may be menapausal. My own gp told me last week that i had trapped wind. When us women have problems that gps cant give us answers to we always get fobbed off, i urge you all out there keep putting pressure on your gps till you get answers and treatment. WE ARE WORTH IT WE NEED TO BE HEARD.
I had these pains for 25 years, having a bowel movement was like having a contraction and I would have to breath through it, and it was always when I had my period.  My doc told me it was normal for a woman (Ive since found out this was incorrect advice) so I just put up with it.  Every time I had my period I was sick, in pain and had massive headaches.  Finally , last year I went to a Gyno who told me I had endometriosis...I had to have a total hystorectomy, and a bowel resection as everything was stuck together and stuck to my bowel...this is called a frozen pelvis.  My advice to you girls...dont put up with it, seek a second opinion if you are told it is nothing!!  
I'm 15 years old and a few minutes ago this happened twice. It feels like pressure building up and hurts so bad. It made me double over. I'm on my period right now. But I don't think it's the cause since it happens anytime. Not just by around the time of my period. I also have pain sometimes on my right and left sides under the rib cage. Please help me :(
I have had this burning unbearable pain for about 2 -3 years now....on and off daily. It has been getting steadily worse, and even double dose of Zytram XL barely touch it anymore....my doctor calls it Pudendal Neuralgia.....it feels like it is related to my sciatic nerve though as well, because it is made worse by sitting, there are surgical alternatives for very sever cases, but you must be practically constantly incontinent to qualify by the sound of it, and I am not sure what the surgical success rate is?!  Perhaps something you other ladies would like to explore.  More often seen in men, and most often in bucycle and / or horseback riders.....
I get the same pain, its scary and so sharp I jolt when it happens! Wonder what it is! Some people say its gas.
I had this problem for years… doctor usually found it was a yeast or bacterial infection, so I was pumped full of antibiotics. It would go aways and then return within a few weeks, usually right after my period. I finally found something online after weeks of searching for answers…BORIC ACID! I wasn’t hopeful, but I was willing to try anything. I got a perscription from my doctor for suppositories. Since I started using them, I have not had a single yeast or bacterial infection. If I miss a few days I sometimes get the stabbing pains again, but after using the suppositories for a day or two they go away. I really urge anyone experiencing these pains to try it.
Well.  I also have experienced these pains for many years.  I am a nursing student to graduate in May 2012, and through listening to the s/s and doing some deductive reasoning, I have decided it's some sort of urinary tract irritation, spasm or infection.  My pain also seems to occur more frequently and more intensely after caffeine or soda consumption.  This includes chocolate, since there is caffeine in chocolate. Caffeine creates an environment in the bladder lining that makes us more prone to infections.  When I feel this pain and push the water, it seems to help relieve it.  It could also possibly be a condition call interstitial cystitis.  It's basically the signs and symptoms of a urinary tract infection, but the cultures come back negative, therefore the is no infection present, but the signs and symptoms still exist.  Some signs and symptoms of interstitial cystitis include the following;
Chronic, painful inflammatory disease of the bladder
Recurring discomfort in the bladder and pelvic region
Signs and Symptoms vary  
   mild discomfort to intense pain
   pain may intensify as bladder fills or empties
   tenderness
   pressure
   urinary urgency and/or frequency, nocturia
   symptoms worse during menstruation
   pain with vaginal intercourse
   Symptoms of UTI but negative urine culture
Credit Clarion University School of Nursing
The pain IS unbearable at times. I'm not a doctor, but this is my best guess. Hope this helps.  
Hi! I am sure you have an answer by now since you posted this 6 years ago but I am still.researching how to deal with mine and your story sounds the most compatible to mine. Luckily I have had a diagnoses to go with mine..I have endometreosi..I have had surgery twice already to have it removed and for.the.most part the pain is gone but when I am on my cycle I have the.most excruciating pain shooting through my anus and vagina..I have figured out it happens after I eat and bowel and gas starts to form and.that puts pressure on the.cysts which causes horrible pain...so my only advice I.can give is keep your system eliminated most of the time even if you have to just per...it still hurts and the pain will not go seat until after I use the restroom and even then it is like passing a kidney stone..I would like to know if u ever got a diagnosis or help with Ur pains
i have been experiencing this pain since feb 13, 2011 i have been hospitalized but there is no definite diagnosis.,for my case the pain is unbearable it started in as if you want to poop then it radiates from the base of my vagina going trough upper part of my belly button (i'm not good in explaining things) from the episode of being hospitalized it happens again two times this year and it really hurts like burning my anus and vagina..the pain last for 12-18 hours..i got the pattern that i comes before my menstrual period.it really hurts sometimes pain relievers does not help at all,,can please someone help me what should i do..the pain is unbearable..im only 19 and im afraid to consult a doctor..
Yes,I'm very familiar with these types of horrible vaginal/anal pains. I was also diagnosed years ago with multiple cysts on my ovaries. Occasionally I get bad attacks like these. I'm trying to seek approval for a health card so I can ask to have these nasty cysts removed from my ovaries. I'm 42yrs.old and a musician and I'm tired of these things attacking me out of nowhere! I hope this has helped you. Here's to ridding ourselves of cysts!! Cheers!
I am a 34 year old mother of three with a history of cysts. I can honestly say I never had anything like this until I had my tubes tied 9 years ago.  I am having the exact pains that you have described as I type. Its in both areas as well. When I read your description I was shocked on how identical my pain is to yours. I have told my regular dr before but she blew me off. I heard stress can do it and wondered if I had a uti because of frequent urination but never have I had one cause pain like this! My husband wants to carry me out to the car and take me to the er, but I refuse. The pain is so paralyzing its so severe and takes my breath away. I too can't sit down or move. I can feel when its coming on, I feel a few twinges and then it hits! I hope we all can find relief soon!
I have this too right now. It comes every couple of months. The only way I can describe it is like a lightning bolt up my vagina. It hurts so bad. Only lasts a few seconds but can happen anywhere from every five minutes to every hour. I am getting an ultra sound this month for cycts and I am getting checked for endometriosis. Hopefully someone can explain this for me soon. The pain literally hurts so bad I can barely walk sometimes.
You might want to see a uro/gynecologist that specializes in pelvic floor disorders.  Do a search on pelvic floor tension myalgia or levator ani syndrome and you might find your problem.  On Tuesday, I"m being put under general anesthesia and my doctor is going to massage trigger points in my pelvic muscles through my vagina and then put botox in my pelvic muscles to get them to relax!  I've had those sharp shooting pains, painful urethra, constipation, and lower back pain for years.  I've finally found a specialist that knows what he's doing.  
I have had the similar pain, even after a hysterectomy. It feels more like an electric shocking pain that last for a couple of seconds, but come two to three times in one moment. Yet is unbearable, and leaves me worn  out, breathless, sweaty, weak and exhausted. I still don't know what it is. I have explained the pain to my obgyn , she ran normal blood test, abdominal ultra sound, and everything came back normal. I have not seen a GI doc, but plan going as soon as possible. Maybe someone out there can help diagnose this problem soon. Good bless you all who suffer with this unknown pain.
Is it normal 2 feel like bubbly feelin in ur bottom wen ur pregnant? Feels like flutters in ur bum?
I am 24 years old and I've got this pain for the first time yesterday. I could sit down or anything for about 2 minutes. It was a stabbing pain that started from my anus to my vagina all the way up to just under my left rib cage. Got it again about 10 minutes ago and worried. I have 3 kids so I know pain and this makes me tear up. What should I ask the doc to look for?
This pain started for me over 4 years ago. At first, it seemed that wearing high heels set it off, but it really started with putting away a load of firewood. It seemed that all the lifting set something off that felt a lot like labor pains or a shooting pain that I could barely breathe through. If you're female, it felt like being skewered (literally up both ends). If you're male, it felt like something was shoved so far up your butt that it was hitting a nerve.

After many tests, I was told many crazy things, such as I had an aortic aneurysm, an STD, colon cancer and more, but still had no relief. It ended up being none of those things, and it finally subsided after 7 months, but then...

Last June, I had an attack of diverticulitis that lasted more than 6 months. Although I knew I had diverticulosis, I had never experienced any problems. One of the first symptoms was the nausea, dizziness, stomach discomfort (mostly on my lower left side). And the horrible shooting pain. I knew that it was whatever had hit me a few years back that they never could diagnose. I went to the emergency room with horrific pain.

It was after running a CT scan that they determined that I had acute diverticulitis and found what it called a "fistula" located right between the vagina and anus. The fistula was caused by the swelling in my colon that went completely undetected, even by me. I was told that it would heal itself over time, so they left it alone. There was so much swelling between the colon and the fistula that a portion of my colon had to be removed. It basically rubs right where your colon connects to your anus. 9 months later, it still hasn't healed itself and will require another surgery to correct. I had never heard of a fistula before, and this one in particular is called a recto-vaginal fistula. Although I still don't wear high heels or lift anything over 4 pounds, the pain is with me daily, regardless of what I am doing. It also causes urine leakage and swelling. I have surgery scheduled within the next month. It needs to be fixed by either a gynecologist or a urologist. It depends on exactly where it's located.

My problem was specifically caused by the diverticulitis, but a fistula can also be caused by an episiotomy, hysterectomy, or a host of other female problems, infections or trauma to the area.

CT scans can also be run several different ways. They found mine by the most foul method; barium up the rear. This was incredibly uncomfortable for me, even with pain meds, but it was the 5th CT and the head of the CT department decided that it was the best way to try and see it.

If you search the internet for recto vaginal fistula, you can then do some reading and see if this applies to the problems you have.

Best of luck and I hope this helps at least one person who suffered as much as I have over the years.
I have had what I think is bladder pain for 9 monthes. I have had ct's, mri's, pelvic ultrasoungs, transvaginal ultrasounds, seen 3 top urologists, and been on more meds than you can imagine.  and yes, many many urine cultures, all of which have been clear for uti.   I first get bladder pain. pressure, and urgency. Then after a couple of days it moves to my anus, where it gives me the feeling of stinging external hemmroids, but none ther. then, it moves to the vaginal area where the vestibule and surrounding areas are extremely painful to the touch, it feels like its on fire, where most of the time I have an icepack down in that area, and a heating pad on my bladder area. I have had a cystoscopy done...clear, no IC, but I always have microscopic blood in my urine. I am in so much pain , and no one can figure this out.  I have been tested by gynecologists for all bv's, and std's...clear. I'm 46 years old, still get my periods regularly. I need to know what kind of doctor I should try next? Please any help you can offer would be appreciated. I feel very desperate and scared. Living with this pain is ruining my life as well as my familys. should I try acupuncture??or please what type of dcotor?? thank you!!
Hi i've seen the comment u posted about kinds of cysts, last time i went to the gynae & discovered that i had i cyst, then i was informed to come back few days later. when i went back the cyst had disappeared. am not sure wat that 1 is called.i have those pains hitting from under my belly button to the anus, i cant even stand up when sitting & cant sit dowm when standing, i cant pass the gas out also. what is it called?
I have the same thing Doc. just found out I have Diverticlitis. you should check it out.
Diverticlitic
check on diverticlitic
I have that pain also Doc. thinks it  diverticlitic going for CT today.
Maybe diverticlitis
Same thing Doc. thinks its  Diverticlitis going for CT today
Diverticlitis maybe
I have the same thing Doc. sending me for a CT today he thinks it  Diverticlitis.
Hello I also have the very same thing I went to my OBGYN and he sent me to a Surg. he think it Diverticlitis I looked it up and it sounds like it.going for a CT today to make sure. Good Luck to all
My pain started last night after a very much needed urination... When I was done stabbing lightning bolt pains began in vagina anus area. This lasted for over 3 hours they would get so intense tears would just fall out of my eye balls then taper down to a manageable level but trust me when I say I have a very high pain threshold and this pain was so terrible I just wanted to die. After I cried myself to sleep I woke several times with same pain and when I actually rolled outta bed the pain is a mild version with pressure in my anus. I feel as if I need to poo but nothing but pain comes when I attempt. I have read most of the posts and my pain seems diff than most... It lasted for a long time, I am not menstruating, and about 8 mo ago had an IUD.
I would really appreciate any advise because I cannot go thru this again
I have the same pain except it just occurred when I put a tampon in, and when I took it out out eased the pain. I'm scared It might be serious.
I see this post is old however if any of you still suffer from this there may be an answer for you as there was for me. It took a while for them to diagnosed me and several trips to the er with severe bloating dizzy spells if I tried to pass gas...and come to find out it was endometriosis. A lot of women dont know they have it but with laproscopic surgery and a doctor who gives a darn...I found out. Make an appointment with your obgyn, it is not "always normal" and if left untreated could cause significant damage infertility and excruciating pain..hope this helps
Been having serious and severe pain inside my vagina for one year and two months now. Have taken several medication for it to stop yet to month avail.I was told its ovarian cyst took so many pills yet np cure.I was also told its yeast infection yet nothing stopped the pain. Am just scared I can't stand the pains anymore.though I have sex without bleeding.I don't have itching or any . The pains started after I had my baby girl.please I need an advice on what to do please.
I lost my baby 3 month ago and its been my first period I've bleed for over 7 days now and getting pain inside my belly near me belly button!! Worse pain than when misscarried aint a clue wots going on!! And them shooting pains I got while pregnant up my vagina is it licked to misscarriage!!!
I experienced it last four month I went for scan it was an ovarian cyst on my right ovaries please take care
Hi, i am 220168 , thank you for your sharing, i am having the same problem, but my pain go off 3-5 mins. Some time fews week once, some time months once. May i know how frequency the pain come ?
I also have the same thing. it started with anal pain now is with viginal and anal pain. Went to my Gyn had a viginal ultrasound done and nothing was found. I am in my menopause years have not have a period in 10 years. I have been having this pain since in my 30s first it start about once a month now I get them as much as twice a week or more. been going to doctor but nothing is found now I am going for colonocopy to see if any thing can be found.
Last night (after a typical bowel movement, no constipation, no diarrhea), no sooner had I washed my hands and walked to my bedroom when an excruciating pain hit me. It radiated from my vagina to my anus and came in sharp bursts--just like labor pains.
I have always had rough, long periods (complete with huge clots and severe cramping), and I started my cycle when I was 8 years old. I am now 36 and have been dealing with that headache for 28 years, but now these "super cramps" come out of nowhere and add insult to injury. I'm sick of it.
Also I have gained weight and went up 8 SIZES in the last two months before all this occurred, but my diet has not changed. I have always been healthy and eat right, but I went from a 10 to an 18--and it's all in the abdominal area. My arms are still normal, and I have not gained any excess weight in the face. I read that Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome can cause such a thing, but at this point I don't care if I'm diagnosed with Oompah-Loompah Syndrome as long as I can get successfully treated! This *****...
Prayers and blessings to all the women who are going through this agony--you are not alone!
hey my name is Jess, and im only 16 and i have the same exact pains. i've cried several times because of the pain. and i do not know what to do. The only person that knows that i have these pains are my boyfriend of almost 10 months.
if anyone knows what this could be could you please let me know.!
Please go to a doctor, preferably a surgeon (a GYN or urologist is unlikely to find it) who has an in-house sonogram and have him scan your femoral canal area AS YOU INTERMITTENTLY BEAR DOWN. It sounds like you have a Femoral Hernia. Although sonograms are not cheap, they're less than a CT scan or MRI which RARELY find hernias. Femoral Hernias are in the "occult hernia" category which means they're hard to find.
Please go to a surgeon! Ask to have a sonogram/ultrasound of your FEMORAL CANAL. It sounds like you have a FEMORAL HERNIA. Ask the doctor to perform the sonogram as you intermittently bear down--like you are trying to have a bowel movement. If you have a hernia, he/she will see it bulge out. Blessings to you.
I have had the exact pain since I was 15. I am 22 years old now. I am having some problems right now as I type. None of my doctors have found out what has been going on. On top of the vagina and anus pain I am also having severe side pain. Since I was 15 I have had my gauhlbladder, appendix, and got my a few ovarian systs removed. Nothing seems to be working and Iv been taking vicodin and Ibuprofin since last week neither one is helping.
Does any one know how to help me? if so please do I will be greatly appreciated.
I had these pains for years while on medicaid....dr told me he didnt know what or why....the pain was so intense that i would make as gasping sound and then sometimes made noise like a goat,.......lol i know its not funny but in hinsight......never the less, i got a job working for the state...my insurance changed....same dr... we talked again, he did lap surgery and remove a abundance of scar tissue, and a cyst....abra cadabra.....the pain stoped for 7 years.....Its back and im on medicaid again, lets see if this obgyn is stumped......it now affects my right leg I think...we shall see......sorry folks....wouldnt wish it on a enemy......
i read most of what everyone said some of my issues are the same some are not. i am 46 i got a hysterectomy at 20 so i dont have periods. my pain hits me across the same area a saddle would hit me front to back, feels just like im having a muscle spasm as far as the pain goes, sometimes it goes quickly other times it lingers, i have found that either sex with my partner or alone relieves alot of the pain and pressure, almost like everything relaxes. i have had this problem for almost 20 yrs have asked many doctors about it they act confused, i tell them same thing i just said here, it hurts to the point i have to breath thru them like contractions, in some ways reminds me of them.
out of everyone i read yours makes the most sense to me anyways, ive always have said to desribe the pain its like muscle spasms or labor pains and either breathing thru them helps or with me if i masterbate or have my partner get involved sexually with me then it starts going away its like it relaxes the muscles.
I have the same thing happen to me, but only when I'm on my period and it doesn't happen every time of the month only once in a blue moon. The pain is sharp and unbearable,  I've never had a child before and I'm not that sexually active. The pain is only in the anus area, and it shoots up through my whole body, I will feel alot of pressure down there, like it would b excruciating to pass gas ect... the pain comes and goes throughout this experience but when it comes back it's stronger then the last time!  I cannot sit down strait on my bottom, if I'm in class ect. I have to take the pressure off my butt.  I am not sure what this problem is, and no pain killers seem to help it. I have some pretty strong ones from when i broke my shoulder and even those don't help Me.
I know this is 7yrs delayed but for anyone who stumbles upon this like I did here what I think it might be. When I was 14 I experienced such symptoms. At first I though my appendixed burted because I had pain in my lower abdomen as well. I got a sonagram done and it turns out my ovaries had cysts. (my gyno called it fibroids) This was causing my pain. They only way she could solve it was birthcontrol. It helped somewhat but it might not work for everyone. Hope this helped!
I have the exact same pains from time to time it has been on going for 5 years now!! I hadn't gotten the pains for almost 5 months until today,
But I only have the anus sharp pain.

I've also gone to my doctor and gyno and they too have no answers for me!

What I have noticed with my pain is that I will have to sit on the toilet because the pain is too unbearable at times and because it also doesn't add any pressure on my anus while the shooting pain process is happening.
But I also sit on the toilet because I believe it has to do with your digestive system!
This may sound really disgusing but im saying it anyway because it may help someone:
I feel a lot better after I fart or after I've gone to the restroom. It could have connections to being constipated or as girls we don't fart enough and tend to hold them in because of company we have around or in my case I don't like to fart in front of my husband.
I've noticed whenever I feel constipated, gassy, bloated it tends to happen.
But it has also happened to me when I feel completely fine.. So I guess its just another mystery!

I honestly didn't think this was common at all!
Just happen to me today, that's why I'm on this site. Woke up this morning with a stabing sharp pain in my vagina and anal area as well as uterus all combined together then got it again before going to sleep this has been happening to me for the past four years at least twice a year. I'm scared do I'm going to go see my GYN and will come to you ladies with what they say.
Hi, mimimac1985,

Your story mirrors a lot of my own. I can only offer you suggestions based on what has helped me.

1. Gailrn516 suggested the anal pain is spasms, known as Proctalgia Fugax. This was also my experience. She suggested putting a bath towel over the side of a tub and leaning into it until it goes away. The biggest thing is to relax. Try upping your fiber and water as well, because constipation may make it worse. The good news is that if this is what it is, it's not serious--it's basically the equivalent of a muscle cramp in your anus. But GEEZ they hurt, don't they? I noticed I used to get these most often around the time of my period. Since upping my fiber intake, I hardly ever get them anymore now.
http://www.gihealth.com/html/education/proctalgiaFugax.html

2. I also have a tilted womb. My gyno has reassured me it's not that uncommon and it causes no real problems.

3. I also have IBS. Be sure you are eating fruits and vegetables,  especially in the morning, and reduce your intake of sugar, especially later in the day.

4. Cysts on your ovaries. You need to see an endocrinologist, and nothing and no one else, because you likely have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). I had a gyno try to tell me my cysts went away, and there was a scan done, and she said they were gone. Another more knowledable gyno told me later, noooo, once you have them, you always have them. We did another scan and they were there. So the first gyno was CLUELESS. But the only specialist who can run the tests you need to prove PCOS as best as is possible is an endo. Don't go to a general practitioner!

The sad news is that with PCOS you are often infertile. :( If that turns out to be the case for you, I am truly sorry. However, I will say that with proper treatment by an endo, there are PCOS patients who are eventually able to conceive.

I think one day they will find out how/why all these things are all connected.

Good luck and blessings to you!

Amanda
I have the same pains you all are having! A sharp stabbing pain though by buttocks and lower abdomen.  I am only 16 years old, and I can tell you im positive its not any type of STD/ STI. It's unbearable and is even worse when I sit or have a tampon in. Standing helps but there really isn't anything to do when you feel like you are being stabbed in your butt and abdomen. Just have grit your teeth and bear it. Also I have very large clots... Don't know if this might have something to do with the pain but their size range from a dime to half dollar...and I know that can't be normal... I have told my mom once and she brought me to the ER thinking it was appendicitis...this was two years ago and they never found out was wrong but ironically I had my appendix removed one year later.. But now my mom ignores me or tells me to get over it, that it's 'part of being a woman'...I don't know what to do anymore...Thankfully I go to an all girls predatory school so no one gets awkward when I double over in pain at school..I just need answers..HELP!
I have the exact same thing. They ARE cysts on our ovaries bursting especially during your menstrual period. Birth Control shrinks them or a simple surgery to remove them.
It sounds like it could be IBD
hi i too have been gettin servere pain its always after intercourse has been happening for 2weeks now everytime i have intercourse. i have been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries and the pains are horrible the worst pain i have ever felt it actually brings me to my knees and stops me doing anything as i cant move any inch of my body when this happens.. it starts in my curvic and ovaries and then shoots through my butt area and leaves me tender for days after. i had this problem last night and was really bad, to the point i felt sick this time and the pain was going up my stomach and making me feel sick. this pain is horrible and i cant be dealing with it everytime i have sex i need to know the problem im in process of goin to book a appoint ment with the docs... but last night i was on the verge of callin 999 for help any one have any ideas what it might be .....
if anyone wants to contact me email me ***@****
I have taken this drug many times in the past several years and it doesn't cause abdominal pain for me. Most likely you have a cyst!! You should see a dr. asap.....
Your painful story is the closest to mines. I'm forty years old and my pain started when I was 15 years old. The older I get, the worst and longer the pain gets.
I had pain under my right rib cage and that is where your gall bladder is located.  I ended up having stones in my gall bladder causing all this pain so, I had to have it removed.  Your liver is also located on your right side under your rib cage.  I would suggest having it looked your gall bladder looked at to make sure there are any stones in there.  They can happen at any age.
Wow ladies...as painful as these shooting pains are...I am grateful to realize that I am not crazy and I'm not alone. The God awful pains come out of no where and shoot through my rectum and sometimes lower vaginal area. I've tried to keep track of when it happens..gas or menstral - but it's so darn random. It doesn't last long but it almost feels like mini labor pains. I cannot walk, talk or move. I feels like some sort of back spasm but from deep within. It's very hard to descibe it but from reading these posts (that go back a few years) these pains are not in my head...I'm amazed that these symptoms are SOOOOOOO puzzling and no one can come up with a clear concise answer.
I am not sure how to post a comment so I hope I am doing this right..... I agree I thought I was crazy and no one else experienced it. I've shyly asked 3 different docs and they have never had an answer for me. The sharpest pain accrued when I was running (could not move, thought my insides were coming out) but the heaviness and med. to severe pain happen around my period. It sounds like it is uncommon and no decisive medical answer. Frustrating.
am 19 and i also experience this sharp pain right from the anus through th vigina (vagina).they come at anytime and if am standing i cannot sit,if am sited it has to be one butt down.i cry all the time
I have been looking all over the internet for someone with these symptoms. I am 28 and have had them since I was a teenager. I've had two c-sections and no reproductive issues. I do have a lot of problems with gas pains since having the surgeries though. This morning I am having these pains so bad I can't move. It seems to occur now after a night of "fun" with the husband but I don't have endometriosis, no ovarian cysts or prolapsed anything. No clue what it is but it is literally debilitating for a few hours when it happens.
i get this! Its so painful sometimes i have to scream and i cant not scream. sometimes it happens to me many times in a row and im left shaking and exhausted. Im 17 and i hate this so much.
I was just woken up in the middle of the night by this sharp shooting pain through the right side of my body. I also have what I would call severe pelvic pressure. Not really any sharp pain there, bit its uncomfortable and hurts. I can't tell if its anywhere close to being lady cramps or just stomach pains because I have pain coming at me from all sides. I also have gas and a sharp pain radiating in my anus that goes into my tail bone.
My mom said that I probably got slightly dehydrated and my bones are rusty and my intestines are seizing up. So I drank some water and that helped some actually. But the pain in my side is still here. The combo of pain that woke me is  the worst pain I've ever felt. My guess is that its intestinal issues because of dehydration brought on by ovulation. At least for me. I've always noticed that I get slightly dehydrated during my periods so maybe this is just a more severe case??
It is definitely gas. I've dealt with these pains for about 3 years now. I always thought them to be I association with my cycle. That was just a coincidence, I guess because our bodies become bloated during this time. Now I get them whenever and wherever. So my husband helped me monitor them. We would write down when it would happen, how long it would last, foods I had eaten, if I burped, passed gas, or just had a"rumbly I my tummy" before, during, or after the episode. What we found was that it was indeed gas causing the muscle spasms (these sharp, stabbing, throbbing, immobilizing, breathtaking pains)  in my anus, vagina, and sometimes in my lower stomach. The next time I had one of these"episodes", I took a gas-x strip and my husband burped me like a baby. Although out didn't feel like I had gas, I started burping and the pain fir better and better. My episodes last for upwards of an hour. So to get relief that fast was almost a miracle for me. So long story short, if you don't know what it is, stop saying what its not. Try the gas-x as soon as you feel the pain
Hi there.  I just want to caution that we honestly can't know what something is exactly or what it is not based on an internet forum.  Always safest to talk to your doctor.  Never be embarressed to do so because nothing will shock them or make them uncomfortable.  Their job is the human body----  so feel free to share what is going on with yours.  Lots of luck to all having these issues.  
Hi I have had the same pain. About four years ago I had to be hospitalised and put on morphine the pain was so bad . I was kept in for four days with full tests all inconclusive! The only thing they came up with was I had an ovarian cyst that burst and the fluid had gone into the peritoneal cavity causing intense pain . I would end up on tip toes with the pain shooting up like stabbing up my vagina and back passage. It was horrific I ended up being discharged no endometrosis but have poly cystic ovarian syndrome ... So sounds like the cysts are common with a lot of people who have posted.... I also have suffered from low back pain and prolapse disc... So I would say in my case the cysts have much to do with such pain. Mid cycle also I get severe left side ovarian pain ... I hope you are improving I find exercise and diet to be essential in management of this type of pain. :)
Hi. I am 18 years old. I have not had my period in such a long time. At least 6 months. I am not pregnant. I too have pains, but they feel more like shocks. I feel them in my anus and my vagina. I looked up endometreosis, but it deals with the period. Back when I was on birth control and was having regular periods I would go through the shocking, tearful pain everytime I had my periods. I would be on the floor bawling my eyes out. I couldn't afford birth control anymore, so I stopped taking it. The pain stopped for a while, my period hasn't came back since. I recently felt that pain again and thought I was going to start my period. It didn't happen. Now I feel that shock before I have to go to the bathroom for bowel movement. I also saw a post about proctalgia fugax and it seems like I might have that. I need to go to the gyno or something to find out. I just wondered if anyone else felt that.
It's nice to know I'm not the only person in the world with these symptoms.  After reading your post, I am convinced that it is finally time to get this checked out, thanks....
I have had the same thing yesterday i went to bathroom to pee after my ovary aching and when i tried to pee the pain was so bad i passes out chipped 4 teeth, broke my glasses , and blacked my eye with a large goose egg above my eye today it still hurts.  Got pain on my ovary shooting into my anus and my vagina what could it b?
I have pain during my period that's it the pain your having is not right get checked out!!
I am 17 I'm a virgin.never had sec in my life and these pains started like ill say six months ago but they busy started. Becoming more servre and I'm getting the sharp pains in my anus and vagina almost daily ive been to the doctors and she gave me laxatives because she said it was my bowels that were messed up and I just wannnna screamm this is soooooo painful! I believe it also has tp do with washing up with soap I didn't know that your vagina cleans it self and I used to use a lot of soaps and perfumes bit ive stopped now. I just need some help!!!!!!!
I have been reseaching for years same problem and have been reading recently about trapped pudental nerve. My symptoms sounds like the same as yours. I have had a number of tests and now am narrowing it down to this possibility.  Apparentlty it is quite rare and many doctors dont even know about it.!!!
Hi, I get rectal pain like this too, about 2 or 3 times a year I guess. It feels like a lightening bolt being shoved up my butt, shocking electrical like pain in my anus / rectum. It lasts about 10 - 20 seconds, and then it's gone, like it never was there. Stays gone for months. This, to me, feels like a gastro - intestinal issue. This pain is so intense,  when I feel one coming on, I must brace myself.  I have literally seen it knock me off my feet, I fell to the floor. One time, I almost got into a wreck, it hit me while I was driving, and my whole body tensed and my behind came off the seat and I couldn't stop excellerating (thank God nobody was close in front of me, or else I would have plowed into their car)

I also have a deep pressure, almost painful but not quite, in my lower abdomen, in the pelvic region, where I imagine my uterus to be. I never ceases, but it is sometimes barely noticable, and other times, when I cough or sneeze, or when I'm having sex, it is painful. It feels like a gynological issue, but since our intestines and / or bowels are in the same area, I'm not sure if either pain is related to the other, or if its a gyn or gastro problem...

What does this sound like to you?
I have endometriosis, and have been told that the tissue is slightly wrapped around the colon. This causes vaginal/anal pain when you have gas. I don't ALWAYS have the pain when I have gas, it is usually mostly during ovulation and especially during my period. I never realized exactly how much endo had been affecting my every day life, I thought it was just complicating my period. These random pains prove different and they are definitely debilitating.
I get the same pains. It's like a stabbing feeling through my uterus. I have a daughter but she's 7 yrs of age. I think I had a miscarriage last month I do not know. But I usually get this pain every blue moon. It happened last year around march. Smh and now this year this month twice in one week at night. Mines only occur after I have had sex. I wish someone could tell me why though and should I be worried. And it could be because of ovulation. Last week was my fertile week and ovulation week too! I really thank everyone for what I read I'm going to keep looking further. If y'all come up with anything may some one email me. ***@****. I wish all you ladies the best of luck with this crazy pain. My friend gets the same pain as well but only after sex smh. I will try not to be so nervous about it. When the pain starts shooting through my uterus and anal I can't breath or move. I try and curl up in a ball and brace myself for the pain to come. My hubby just pushes down on my belly and it works sometimes. Not always though! By the time it's over I'm so worn out from clinching my muscles and crying I go straight to sleep. I be exhausted. So y'all aren't alone on that. Take care! Hope I helped a little with what I do when it come. Layla
I too had very similar pains to you, and went to the doctor and had a variety of scans and tests about 3 months later after a day of really intense pain I had some rectal bleeding and went straight back to my doctor, I was sent for a colonoscopy and was found to have stage 2 bowel cancer. The pain I was having was my body trying to purge the tumour and thus the bowel concertinering itself.  Do yourself a favour and get yourself properly checked out, our gut instinct tells us when something is not right. I am still here today because I persevered with all the tests until the doctors found the source of my pain. If the pain hasn't gone away by now chances are it is not going to without some sort of intervention. Good luck. Kat.
I get the same exact pains! I'm 15 and a virgin, so the odds of std are low (knock on wood!) I started my period the exact day of my 13th birthday. I've had these pains since I was 14. I learned in my biology class that if it occurs after your period, you're likely ovulating. My teacher said that it usually happens 2 or 3 weeks after you period. I've also experienced this same pain a few days before I get my period. As I'm typing this, I'm feeling these pains now, and they are a little worse than usual. It feels like I'm being poked from inside in the space between my vagina and my anus. An around that personal area overall :p
I have 4 children and i know what real pain is i have had problems with ovarian cysts for almost 15 years and they are worse than labour pains it sounds like that is what going. on with you so in my opinion you should go back to your gyno tell her you need an ultrasound because those cysts can be life threatening. i have had 3 emergency surgeries because of them hope this helps
Hi I'm 14 and I'm having the exact same thing only in my butt though how do you deal with it because for me it hurts so bad I've actually had to stay home from school a couple of times and I know I should tell my mom but its too embarrising
Not to be very descriptive but I have been experiencing some Sharp stabbing like pains it feels to me like underneath the inside skin of my vagina. They come in waves and only last seconds.  If I apply pressure the pain will move but feel better when I release the pressure the pain returns worse than the time before. I have had my husband look all around the areas I get the pain and there is nothing visable no sores no rash no redness. Its not deep inside my vagina it more in the area of the inner and outter lips area. I'm scared been to a doc and she said she couldn't see any issues.. I feel mis diagnosed!!! Someone out there please help me I'm so tired of this progressing pain.
Thankyou and God bless
By Sammy. Hey sharpshooter I have experinced the same pain in a long time both the right t and vagina and anal shooting I thought I was pregnant at one point but nothing at all honestly I don't know what to do my doctor didn't understand me either .is there any information on the condition?
I to get his pain really bad and it is way worse then labor an I am only 21 years old and had too kids! Way worse, so bad I can't even move!
I too have these pains !! They are terrible , but I only get them when I'm on my period , usually the first say or two. I also have to Stand up and brace myself when they accrue . I've been having them for a long time now , at first I just thought it came with the normal period cramps so I didn't stress about it . But now , I'm concerned . I've been looking up possible explanations , which is how I came across this. I think  gonna make an appointment at the GYNO , because this pain is getting unbearable , and I don't want it to happen in public ! Lol if anyone knows anything , please let me know !
Not sure if you ever figured out what it was, but I get the same exact pain. I have been diagnosed with endometriosis and it has wrapped around my colon, causing me to have colitis. It can be fixed through surgery, however, it is something that grows back. The best thing for you would be to have surgery and then be put on birth control. It makes your body believe its pregnant, and therefore, the endometriosis either slows down growth or seizes all together. Good luck!
I get these sharp stabbing pains in my rectum as well, it happens around my menstrual cycle and i don't know what to do about it. It happens to me at home, school, anywhere. It hurts so bad that i have to stop what ever I'm doing to go threw the pain. I never timed how long it has lasted.. should I? What should i do? I'm only 15, i don't want this happening for the rest of my menstrum cycle till i go through menopause.
The sad part about this is that no Dr can give us a clear Diagnosis or explanation as to what this horrible pain is. Normally what helps me during my period, is a hot water bottle! In extreme cases of pain I lay on my tummy and put the hot water bottle on my bum.Always avoid sitting on hard or cold surfaces, example Tiles, because when ur period comes you will suffer Hope this helps.
I have the samething, sure hope u get some answers. I haven't been to the doctor about this yet,
good luck
i get these shooting pains mainly around the time of menstruation. i have had to get injection from my doc for the last 3 months it was that bad. my doc reckons i have endometriosis but i am on a year waiting list just to get an appointment with a specialist . no painkillers work for me just the injection which gives temporary relief . really hope i can find a cure soon
Hi everyone, new to the forum, hope I'm doing this right.  I am 39 and I have had this pain since I was about 13.  The first time it happened I seriously thought I was either dying or having a miscarriage.  The funny thing is I wasn't even sexually active at the time so there was no way I had gotten pregnant, LOL!  But that pain was so horrendous, my 13 year old mind couldn't fathom anything other than, somehow through sitting on a toilet seat that somehow had semen on it, I had gotten pregnant and was losing the baby!!!  Hey, I was 13 and very innocent about a lot of stuff.  Anyway, yes this pain is the worst!  I can't sit, I can't lay, I can't stand. And it can last anywhere from 15 min to about an hour  The only position I have found that helps (only a little, mind you) is to get on my knees and elbows, drop my stomach so that my back is in a U shape, with my butt in the air.  I doesn't get rid of it, but somehow, for me, it sort of helps to stretch out and relax the cramping muscles or whatever that hell is going on in there.  What I want to know is why don't doctors know what this thing is???
I know how you ladies feel. I too, get the pains from my vagina into my anus, except mine last about an hour before they ease up. They will have me hunched over or on the floor in pain. If I try to use the bathroom, it hurts. If I push like I'm trying to pass a bowel movement it hurts. If I tense up they hurt. I've went to the emergency room twice for them, but by the time I've seen a doctor, they've been gone. I do suffer from reoccurring UTI's. I'm in the process of getting my kidneys looked at because the doctors found a big mass on my bladder. I don't know what causes it. I have severe anxiety as well, so I am in constant fear of having those pains again. Good luck to you all!
I am experiencing the exact same thing. I have been since I was an early teen. I'm now in my 30's. The shooting pains stopped about 5 yrs ago. All the sudden they are back with a vengeance. Just like labor pains as you described. When I feel it starting I get low because it hurts so bad it drops me to my knees. I have never gotten an answer from any medical professional but I had a friend suggest maybe it was mental and stress related. I practiced calming myself and taking deep breaths when I start to feel it happening and it worked! Instead of bracing myself for pain, I take deep breaths and try to relax. It worked fine for a few years. But, I just found out I've had a liver disease for over 10 yrs, I've got 4 kids. I felt the pain prior to contracting the liver disease, but I've been under a lot of stress lately and now the pain is back hard Claire and I find it impossible to stop.  I am hoping for an answer too
I'm only thirteen and having this. I'm so scared and frightened, I don't want to tell me mom because I'm scared it will be a lot of money to go to the doctors, we're broke and are trying to find a house. I'm so scared, please, someone help. Is there something wrong with me? I'm on my period right now, and my butt hole and vagina hurts so much; it's as if someone is stabbing me there. It only lasts about ten seconds, but it hurts like heck. I tried going to the bath room but nothing works. Please help...  
PAIN RELIEF FOR PROCTAGLIA FUGAX - TRY THIS - it worked for my daughter!

Hi there,
I'm posting this to help everyone who helped us on this forum to figure out what this is and what can help with the pain.  My daughter is 12 and has had this since she was 7. It hurt for many years (at night, in spasms) inside her vaginal area, and then recently moved to her rectal area (inside her body - never on the outside).

She has excruciating spasms in the evenings from about 8pm until she finally falls asleep around 1:30am.  After much researching and many (useless) doctor's visits we finally convinced an emergency room doctor to give us the medication that is described at the bottom of the wikipedia page for Proctaglia Fugax, which is here:

We are in Canada, and on the wikipedia page the medication that is recommended for Proctalgia Fugax is called "Hyoscyamine (lozenge)".

After showing the wikipedia page to the emergency room doctor, we got him to prescribe us some of this for the pain (he prescribed only 1-2 days worth as he is an ER doc and even that was hard to get him to do). The pharmacy told us later that this is not available in Canada, but we got "Buscopan 10mg / Hyoscine Butylbr 10mg" prescribed instead.  (Which i assume is the Canadian version).

We tried it last night when the pains started to come again and IT WORKED!!!!  I have tried all sorts of pain relievers and muscle relaxants with her to try to help her when this came on and NOTHING worked before this. What a godsend!!!!  

Today I called the pharmacy to get them to provide us with more (thinking they'd have to contact her regular doctor and get a prescription from her now).

They told me that for this medication, A PRESCRIPTION IS NOT REQUIRED.  Apparently it is an over the counter medicine, so you do not even need a prescription from a doctor for it.  You can also find out more on their website here -- http://www.buscopan.com/

I have absolutely nothing to do with this company or medication at all - i just want to pass this information on to everyone since it seems there are so many people suffering with this so badly.

I know that this is just a remedy for the pain that she is having and now we need to work on the root cause of this. I believe it is related to poor diet and so i am going to get her to work with a nutritionist to significantly improve her diet as a next step to see if we can get rid of the need for this altogether. However, I am so relieved that she doesn't have to experience what she has experienced (crossing my fingers that this keeps working).

If you are having this problem - please see if this works for you... good luck and thankyou to everyone who posts on places like this for helping people put together the clues to help them figure out and solve medical issues. Don't rely on doctors - you are in charge of your own health - use them as one of the tools in your arsenal.  

happy mom
Doctors do know.  You just went to one who didn't have it happen to him or her.  
I was in the doctor's office getting checked out before my colonoscopy. The doctor, just out of the blue, asked me if I ever had severe pains in my rectum that was so sharp it took my breath away.  I perked up like I was getting an episode right then and said YES.  HE said that he got them too and told me the non-scientific name was "butt bolt".  That answered everything.  
Hi there,
Thought i would post an update.... since we found out about the Buscopan my daughter had about 3 difference episodes in the evening of the muscle spasm/shocks (she always called them 'the stingies' - i guess because it felt like something was suddenly stinging her)... each time we used the buscopan and they quickly went away, and now it is at least a month since she has had another episode (and she was having them every single night) .... so i am wondering if the buscopan not only helped for the episodes but somehow calmed things down for good. Anyways - i really hope it continues this way... good luck everyone - keep looking for answers to your health issues and keep taking your own control :)

happy mom
i believe the rectal pain you feel could be interssuception .the rectal pain begans to radiate and u start bending and moving in search of a position in which to relieve the pain til it stops.I have this. it is your intestines , they bulge and prolapse into a lower part of the intestine and creates a very small or no space for food to pass through . That pain is the bowels trying to move past the partially or totally blocked area..it may feel like constipation sometimes. ask your doctor to check for it but meanwhile keep your diet high in fiber and your stools soft enough to pass easily. chew thoroughly and avoid hard, processed foods and lay off meat. child birth and other straining can add or cause it. if you ever find you can insert a finger into the vagina to help guide a bowel movement or you feel a slight bulge in the vagina while trying to move your bowels. the internal prolapse could be progressing..just a posibiity...im no doctor but ive suffered many ailments that the doctor couldn't find had i not done the research
first and asked to be checked for it...tests often fail to find problems..your description of symptoms is very important.
I'm so happy to have found you all. I have just experienced one of the worst pains and needed to investigate. The pain lasted 90 minutes. Never experienced this before. I don't quite fit in with most of you though. The symptoms are the same but I'm 48, had a hysterectomy about 10 years ago although I still have my ovaries. I was diagnosed with MS in 98 and doing well with that but it is the central nervous system which someone mentioned. The pain started on the left labia and radiated to the anus. Woke me from a sound sleep. Tried going to the bathroom, didn't help. Killed me just to walk to bathroom. Laying from side to side, on my back, nothing helped. I take Percocet on regular basis for MS so popped one of those. Not sure if it was that or if it just went away by itself.  Started at 1:45am.  Ended at 3:10am. It's now 3:25am, alarm set for 5am. I work full time. Sounds like spasms.  I'm calling my gynecologist and possibly my neurologist to see what they think. I don't ever want to go thru this again. I will post what doctor thinks. If I can keep my eyes open. This is terrible.
Hi everyone I'm new to this but am so glad I found this sight. I am 60 yrs old and have been suffering with this for the last 8 yrs I had my tubes tied at age 30 and a total abdominal hysterectomy at age 48. I also told my Dr about this and was told could be scar tissue from surgeries. Never give any test etc. hounded him about this pain which only got worse. He finally prescribed a drug called Hyoosamine so as soon as I feel it coming on I take my Med but it still last about 10 to 15 min and then I'm sore for the rest of the day.  I did notice I get this mostly when I'm constipated. So I believe this is a Gastro problem for me, but the Hycosamine he prescribed was a life saver for me. These pains literally buckled me over. The pains I had where stronger then my labor pains.  Next step I have to have a Colonoscopy since I never had one. If I get further info I will surely be in touch. God Bless you all.
So I have been experiencing similar pains to the ones many of you have described for about 8 years now. Sometimes it will happen several times a day, then other times I will go a month or so with out having any. It is literally the worse pain I have ever experienced. I can barely even think when it happens. Honestly it is what I imagine the cruciatus curse would feel like, if it could be directed at one area of the body. When I was younger I thought it was completely vaginal, but as I am getting older it seems as though it may also be anal. It feels like its deep inside me though so I cant say for sure. I tried to describe it to my gyno but basically she tested me for stds (negative) and did nothing. I had suspected if I could afford to go somewhere other than the free clinic more would be done. However after reading everyones comments it seems that most doctors don't seem to understand or know whats happening either. I just want it to stop :/
I have been having the pains for the past 20yrs. I42 now and it is just not going away. The pain lasts for about 5 or 20 mins and stops me dead in my tracks. Why is it no one can figure out what this is. Was begining to wonder if I was the only one who was having this kind of pain.
Possible Cause-                                                                                                               I didn't read thru all the pages of comments (naughty me) so i am not sure if this has been suggested or not, but, - whenever i experience this pain it is usually from having stressed my vaginal walls or from hitting my cervix during masturbation. Sorry if this is too intimate to share, but, I think it's important to note. I did read someone else explained this pain as volts of electricity surging thru their vagina and rectum, this is exactly as i've described it. To be more specific it feels like having a double pronged electrocution rod inserted inside my anal and vaginal cavity.                      Sitting while experiencing this sensation is very, very uncomfortable as is any pressure applied to the perineum. I believe it is either from overworking the kegal muscles or from the cervix. It would make sense if it's the vaginal wall muscles since the anal cavity shares that same wall on one side and although you can do kegals without engaging the rectal muscles...usually you do involve both.                                                    It seems in my case it's my muscles cramping from either using them too much at one time or from keeping them flexed for too long without a relaxation break. My calf muscles cramp the same way from the same cause. I think even having a bowel movement and incorrectly using my muscles to force it out has on occasion caused the same pains. The only other thing I could imagine it being in relation to would be the onset of Uterus Prolapse. I believe it is the less likely culprit. I am not a doctor or nurse or in any medical field so I am not qualified to properly diagnose this.
It is most likely a ruptured ovarian cyst. I have been dealing with it every month for around three years now. I guess you could say I got lucky and the doctor saw one rupture during an ultrasound, I had more than one on the ovary, they witnessed the second one burst. Pardon the lack of tact but the best way to describe the pain would be getting stabbed in the cervix and anus at the same time. Horribly painful but depending on the type of cyst generally harmless. You should get it looked into however because there are several forms of ovarian cysts and some are more than just painful. The doctor said the pain was not so much from the cyst but from the fluid in it settling on the back of the cervix and pelvic floor. My pain also includes tenderness one one side or the other (depending on which ovary is releasing the egg that month) as well as an uncomfortable pressure along the bikini line in the center of the body just below the bladder. The best way to find one of these tricky little buggers would be to get an ultrasound or cat scan when you are ovulating just before the menstruation cycle. Good luck ladies and try to remember to breathe.
Hi all. so happy i found this thread.  I ve been experiencing the same sypmtoms of labor like contraction around vagina and anal areas forcouple of years with increasing intensity that I finally went to my OB. She found a couple of small myoma uterior adenomyosis or so she thought because I told her the pain came during onset of menses. Hpwever I finally realised that even after menses the rectum/anal pain still comes on and off.  But for now Ill just try to relax and improve my diet to include more fiber and water and eliminate gluten and red meat. My friend had this problem too and went to the meat and gluten free diet and her pain much subsided.   I also noticed that certain other food like coffee triggered the pain so A food diary to track whether they make problems might be beneficial. Hope the best for us all!
The pain can be anything from gas to cysts or endometriosis. I've had chronic yeast infections, BV, uti's, severe stabbing & burning pain inside & outside vagina & anus for 17 yrs. Dr after Dr stumped. One night recently (about 3 months ago) I was crying on the phone to my sister that I couldn't take the pain anymore. It hurt to wear pants or underwear. She told me that there HAS to be a Dr somewhere to help me. She told me to get off the phone and Google my symptoms along with the city, state I live in. So I googled severe chronic vaginal pain and burning doctors in Louisville,ky. I read all the websites that popped up and noticed one name kept coming up. So I called her office next day & explained my pain & got an appt. I was diagnosed with vulvodynia & vestibulitis. Look it up! I think a lot of you ladies may have this too! There are several treatments...she put me on 1 diflucan per week, Premarin cream, testosterone cream (I am 53 yrs old post menopausal). I also have fibromyalgia and lower back problems. She said that it is neurological problem mainly. Also put me on neurontin. She said to put Aquaphor salve on outer part of vagina when it's irritated & it gives me great relief. It is over the counter. Sorry this is so long, but it is very complicated. She is also going to have me start physical therapy for my vagina. Yes-they do have that for the vag area...who knew!!! Hope this helps someone! It is nice to have hope again & some relief from pain!!!
Viewing 601-786 comments: