Shooting pain through vagina and anus

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Viewing 801-842 comments:
This is exactly what's going on with me!  I feel (at a very young age- 60
This has happened to me randomly throughout the years...many years will go by before having a flare up. But for me, I get prescribed Valtrex and it clears it up immediately...long ago I had a herpes virus on my upper leg and my leg and buttocks area would feel tender to the touch along with the shooting pains. The Valtrex took care of it...You don't aways see a sore to tell you its a herpes, but it can be the virus inside of you which creates this feeling. The last time I needed Valtrex was over 6 years ago...calling Dr. now for a new prescription. Good luck!
Hello Gailrn516. I have had these problems too, but I found that this pain was coming from me being dehydrated. every time I do not drink enough water 8 cups a day or do not work out to maintain my healthy weight the pain persists.Since paying close attention to this the pain has been gone for a very long time( 2-3 years) and every time it comes back I know why. so, take in more fluids, look into whats your healthy weight for your height and look on line for a water intake calculator. It will tell you how much water you need to take in at the weight you are at now and how much water you needed to drink when working out.Hope everything works out great. Be blessed.
I was reading through the comments and I sympathize with all of you.  My mother is going through the same thing and I hope she doesn't have to suffer for 10 years!  Wow!

One person mentioned that the only time the pain stopped was during her 9 month pregnancy - is it possible that a hormonal imbalance exists and low estrogen levels is causing all the pain?

I am having my mother ask her Dr. tomorrow.  I think it is worth asking.  Good luck to all of you experiencing pain.  My wish is for a pain free tomorrow for all of you.
I go under covers when it happens. It seems to not want me to get cold coz if I do it gets worse
I have the same pain in 1 month now.my OB ask me if i have pain during urinating.YES,then she ask me again if it is ichi on my vigan.YES,ask me agai where is the pain left or rigth of my vigana, and its LEFT.so she tells me its your bladder.she gives me medicine named,SUPLAX CAPSULE.ones a day.for 5 days.drink more,more,more water.and cranberry juice even 1 glass a day.and more water again.dont eat to much chocolate,beans, fatty foods,salty foods.i dont feel that much pain now.hope its help to you...
The best thing for this pain is dicyclomine and an anti-inflammatory like Motrin or Alleve. You should feel better after the second dose. Hope it works for you.
I too have had all these exact symptoms... have gone to my doctor who ran tests and everything came back negative... i was refered to a gyno so hopefully someone can finally tell me what is going on! I feel alittle relieved knowing I am not alone in this. It is not all in my head. The pain is out of this world. Its so hard to describe it to anyone, they just say its probably gas...
I just had one and they are brutally painful. It's like a charley horse in your vagina or anus!  Massaging the muscle (inside the vagina, weird but it works) or do the yoga position "child's pose" pushing your hips down and back while stretching your arms out in front to stretch the muscle. They are the only things I found that help. And breathe!  Don't hold your breath.  I sympathize that your 14 year old witnessed it.
Those my friend are ovulation pains. I am all tooo familiar with this description. When describing to most it sounds like a gas pain but there's no gas in the world that compares to that. I'm happy to hear that it doesn't last long for you ladies that's truly a blessing those pains usually stay with me for 24 to 48 hours nothing but sleep and laying down helps me
I experience this same situation. At first it felt like cramps, so I decided to take a hot shower but as I was getting in I feel a paralyzing sharp pain in my anus and vaginal area. I checked and had a blood clot the size of a kiwi. This was back in September(September 21 to be exact) I haven't had a period since. I freaked me out a lot! I've had the pain since but not that intense or any blood clots. DONT know what it is but its nice to know I'm not the only one going threw it.....
I need help as well I've been having these pains for about 24 hours I get really dizzy as well.   Pain pills won't even stop it.   And I'm pospardom of a c section 6 months and have ovarian cyst help
I have this too! It never happened to me until my 30s and its awful.  It feels like an intense pressure, kind of like labor pain, and lasts about 5 minutes for me.  I literally will crumble to the floor in a fetal type position, clenching my body and forcing myself to breath.  I had it happen in the car before and that was awful.  It comes before my period, sometimes during, and occasionally during ovulation.  I wonder what it is.
I just got this just after intercourse. At first it felt like my uterus balled up (I have 8 kids) even though I didnt climax-but then I got sharp hot shooting pains in my breast and down my abdomen into the vaginal muscles. Felt a lot like sharp gas pains only in the vaginal muscles and up my abdomen. My cervix felt like it was being torn open almost like I was forcably dilating. Im not pregnant and had my period first week of this month. I have bad ovulation pain and this is NOT that. I worry about fibroids or endo with pains like this. Im in a hot bath but theyre still there just not as intense. It's so awful!
I've been experiencing these symptoms for the last few months. At first, I thought I had appendicitis. Then I thought it might have been a kidney stone, and even a ruptured cyst. It turns out it was an inguinal hernia. They are very difficult to diagnose in women because the typical bulge of a hernia is not present. Also, diagnostic tests like a CT won't detect the problem unless you're symptomatic. For some reason, the symptoms seem to worsen around menstruation. I found an article on it, and it describes all of my symptoms perfectly. If not for this, I might never have known.

http://www.laparoscopytoday.com/2004/01/hernias_in_wome.html
This was the original article I read. These were the exact symptoms I was experiencing. I hope this can help someone.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/05/17/health/17brody.html?referer=&_r=1
OMG!! I'm having the pains right now as we speak..I actually got on here to find an answer.I haven't had this pain since high school,while being on my cycle. I haven't had a cycle in a little over a year,due to me having the mirena..Jesus this pain is unbearable..My fiancé just asked if I want him to massage me..I replied politely "please do not touch me." SOMBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Thank you so much, I'm going to look this up and hope it helps. :)
Reading all these answers with all the diverse issues makes me sad. I did have these pains sporadically when I was younger and had ovarian cysts. Haven't had the pains in years since. Just had a hysterectomy 6 days ago and the pains are back with a vengence. How can it be if I've removed my uterus supposedly getting rid of that pain only to replace with a different pain???? Plus no Dr's have diagnosis or remedies. I am extremely sad that I may end up with these pains for life.
I'm SO glad I'm not alone.  I've been dealing with this exact pain for over 40yrs but was never taken seriously by the doctors.  A few years ago while standing at the kitchen sink doing dishes & it hit me so hard, I passed out & hit the floor.  I can still recall the 1st time it happened - I was in elementary school sitting in class and it came on without warning.  An extremely sharp pain shooting through my anal area as if someone was stabbing me with a knife.  I couldn't breath.  It lasted for a few minutes & then disappeared as quickly as it came.  Over the past 40+ years I experienced it countless times & it's always the same - comes without warning so I'm unable to predict what's causing it.  It can last anywhere 2 to 5 minutes to as long as 15 minutes.  I never know how long it will last.   I've also experienced this pain under my rib cage (left & right) & also shooting through my vaginal area.    I've used the example of a blow torch & a knife to explain it over the years (to various doctors) but I've always felt I was never taken seriously.  

I haven't read all the responses, but I did notice several mentions of endometriosis.  Interestingly I was diagnosed with a "frozen pelvis" in the late 70's (at age of 15) & then about 10yrs later I was diagnosed with severe endo.  

I have got these pains for years and yes, it stops me in my tracks and its quick.  Sometime a couple stabs at a time.  And then it passes and I breathe again.  I've never understood what it is.  It's like a flash of lightening strikes up the front or back.  I can't related it to anything, ever.  But the facial expression I get, when I'm with people that will ask what's wrong.  But you freeze in that moment of pain.  I have yet to figure out what that is.  
Not sure why it posted with all the astricts ...  I wasn't swearing.  Hmmmm.  Hope you can still read it.
I just had that exact pain last night.  My two kids were fanning me because the pain was so unbearable that i was gonna pass out. No im not on my menstrual.  Like you save it comes without notice.  But it comes with vengeance.  This one was the longest and the worst. Yes worst than labor pains. So what is it?
I'm 24 and have had these type of pains since I was 16 around my period time! I thought it was normal period pains until I asked a few friends and no one else seems to suffer! It stops me in my tracks wherever I am and can't move until it passes! Doctors don't know what is it and they got worse when I tried the mirena so much so I had to have it taken out!!!
That is so crazy. That is what is going on with me, they thought I had PCOS but they can't see any evidence in my blood work anymore and they said the cysts on my ovaries weren't enough this time. So why can't them tell me why this is happening? I started on birth control for my acne and have had nothing but this pain of ovarian cysts popping and a shooting pain to my bottom since I started it a month ago. This pain is debilitating, I miss class and stay in bed with my best friend, my heating pad. They gave me anti-inflammatory pills but they don't do much. Has anyone's doctors given them a clue what it is?
Wow, I can definitely relate! I had the same pain during pregnancy! Sharp piercing pain in the anus and vagina, I did not sleep for 4 days due to this awful pain! Thankfully i was close to my due date. None of the meds worked, couldn't stay on my back, was in the shower bouncing on balls. It was just so painful. The epidural helped tremendously however I needed a boost after 2 hours! I myself want another child but that pain was soo unbearably that I'm scared to have another.  I absolutely feel your pain. Till this day I still have pains during bowel movements when I'm holding it too long. I hope that there's an answer to this soon because no one should go through this.
If u still need buscopan I can provid u as ve been suffering from those pain around 15 years nothing help but buscopan I've got it as repeated prescription and I'm not use it so I can send u if u want .
Same as me I had those pain for 20 years and is getting wore and worse.
I had a full hysterectomy 9 years ago I'm 52 now and still have those pain but worse them before
I'm only 14 years old, turning 15 in less than a week. This morning I woke up, went upstairs and was fine until I went back down to my room to apply my makeup for school. I started getting these pains and thought nothing of it until I stood up and tried walking to tell my mom about it. I felt light headed and I had to sit on my knees, I felt like throwing up and I began sweating. I don't know what is going on; but I really need help. It won't go away.
Look up pudendal neuralgia. I have been dealing with this for 10 years. I've had over 8 surgeries and I even had a hysterectomy @ 28 because I was in so much pain. I would rather give birth to my oldest son again & he weighed 9lbs. I hope this help!
I'm experiencing this pain as we speak.I can't walk,cough,sneeze because of this pain.the difference with mines is it last a day or 2 .I was told its gas pains.
I have this issue after endometrosis, hysterectomy with ovary and tube removal. It was an emergency surgery and I was in icu after with severe sepsis. Now I have rheumatoid arthritis. After all the trauma my body has been through I discovered a pelvic floor therapist in my area. She says I have tight pelvic floor muscles due to all the trauma my abdomen has been through. I have push out exercises I have to do at home and at my appointments she gives my pelvic muscles stimulation through an "electronic tampon" is how I describe it. She also uses warm ultrasound to push into my tummy area to help break up scar tissue. I can say I feel a difference. I haven't been going that long so I do still have these sharp pains as you've described. But I am very optimistic about the treatment.
I have the same thing did you ever find out what this was it only comes during my period time
Viewing 801-842 comments:
Moifait is ... Comment
Emily_MHModerator uploaded a new photo
KTowne commented on photo
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals