does Mirena IUD cause weight gain?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

does Mirena IUD cause weight gain?

I am 23 y/o. In Oct 2010 I had the Mirena IUD placed and since then I have gained 20 lbs! And recently I've been getting severe yeast infections. Nothing over the counter helps so I have to go so my OB to get medication. I've heard recently that Mirena can cause these issues. Is this true?

It is true that hormonal contraceptives and IUD’s  like Mirena can cause weight gain. But it is important to rule out other causes of weight gain like cushing’s syndrome(a disorder caused by an excess of the hormone cortisol),hypothyroidism and kidney,heart and liver diseases(Disease in these organs can cause fluid retention, which appears as general puffiness all over the body, especially the eyes and ankles).PCOS(ovarian cyst) is also known to cause weight gain in females.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

KTowne, and Belle313 commented on Belle313's status
KTowne 5 more sleeps!!! :):) Comment
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals