muscle spasms under breast in ribs
I have muscle spasm in or around the ribs on both sides (in the front under the breast and sometimes in the back at the same horizontal position), it feels like a ball rolling, in that it switches sides. It occurs even at night during sleep, painful enough to wake me.  I only know that when I relax and stretch (the side where the knot is) using several positions I have to wait till it goes away, in many cases to have it return in other places described above. What does it mean, how do I treat it.  I have high blood pressure and the meds deplete my potassium so I take a prescription supplement for that.  What should I be asking my doctor.
I have been having a lot of the symptoms I have read on all the posts, ie:  terrible cramps and spasms, movements that feel like I'm pregnant, Charlie horse-type pain which is initiated upon movement such as bending and stretching.  This Charlie-horse type pain is beneath my right breast and I have to sit up and hold my breath until the cramp subsides.  I also have been battling with bronchial asthma and have been to the ER several times this year, usually wake up in the middle of the night and cannot get my breath even though I'm on about 6 or 7 different meds including nebulizer treatments and rescue inhaler.  Well I had a CT scan about a week ago, and was told I have a Spigelian Hernia which is rare and my doctor says I will have to work on my breathing first and then we will discuss surgery for the hernia.  I'm guessing these painful symptoms under my Right Breast must be from the Spigelian Hernia.  It may help everyone with these symptoms to research this.  I am 51 and about 50 lbs over weight.  I've had three children.  However, the ER physician who diagnosed the hernia did not associate it with my inability to breath and as being a cause for the numerous Asthma attacks I have had this year.  I have started seeing my family physician who noted the hernia and said we would discuss it after we get my breathing condition under control.  From what I have read about the hernia, however, it is rare and there is high risk for strangulation.  
I can't believe I found this website. I've had this symptom for almost 10 years now. If I bend somewhat extremely (like the "crunch" exercise) I feel this knotting sensation - which is visible right underneath my right breast/ribs. I can watch it roll and resolve - I used to describe it as my liver flipping because I was convinced it was related to my liver. This symptom started when just after I had gained about 40 pounds (fairly rapidly). I am 5' 1" tall. My liver function is excellent, and I can't find any connection to this happening (or not) related to diet. It does not seem to be affected by alcohol (thus, I'm not thinking it's related to the liver any more) or fatty foods - I actually have a very high-fat, high-protein diet, but the symptom does not seem to follow any of my dietary patterns. I'd suspected that it might be related to eating wheat, but I've been off wheat and all grains for over 30 days now - and, I just got the flippy knot! Ugh! I've talked to my doctor about it, but they don't seem very concerned. At least I know that many people experience this, so I'm not as concerned as I was. I don't have extreme pain - it's just very uncomfortable until it resolves - usually no longer than 30-45 seconds, and I'm not that scared but I'd LOVE to know what the heck this is. I'll also add that when I harden my abdominal muscles, the area where this flippy, rolling, knot occurs, feels sore - like how a  sore muscle feels a day after intense exercise. Here's hoping that you are all well and, thank you for sharing your stories because knowing that so many people experience this phenomenon has eased my mind quite a lot.
Wow what a nice fealing to read that im not crazy I was 13 when it started with a cramp spasm under my left brest it started with that if fealt like my heart whas spining put of controll and it hurt like crazy now that im 36 the pain is cramping hard and the pain goes up to my neck. I have heard everything from acidreflux to im just pretending My husband called the ambulance for me once too since the pain was so bad and i was shaking al over the pain disaperd at the hospital butt still i dont know what this is =( butt atleast i know im not alone
That happens to me. Last night I had one bending over it pet my dog...It was so bad that today my chest hurts..I wish I knew why. I didn't notice it til I quit smoking and add a few pounds but I was always thin so the little bit of weight I gained was really nothing. My Dr says its ok...Someday we will find out why.
I will try to remember my calcium!!
I have similar pains and it keeps me from doing what I should do everyday sometimes I lay still or just turn and then the pain is back doc says it will go away but I can't stand the pain anymore it makes me panic because I'm scared I never had anything like this and pain meds don't work
I have been having these spasms also and was told to take some Magnesium supplements. I was also informed that we have farmed all the magnesium out of the soil for decades and the result of this inproper farming is now starting to show up in our products along with all our over processing that big business does. Muscles need magnesium for contraction and so do nerves so give it a try. It there is a shortage it can also cause irregular heart beats, which is also a muscle.
Hi, I have had this tightening of the chest under my breasts for several years. Doctors cannot pinpoint the problem.
I used ot think that my bra was too tight. I almost never wear one, only a cami, because it makes the tightening worse.
Recently, I have had charlie horses when bending over. I smoked for many years, and at first thought it was my lungs.
But hearing your comments, I think we all have the same thing.
I am a little overweight now and trying to lose the belly fat in hopes this will help.
Lying down is the best position to stop the tightening.
Hope this helps.
I continue to see doctors for help.
Connie S.
I have had the same thing for about 5 or 6 years now. If I turn the slightest the wrong way it starts in my left side and radiates under my left breast. It feels like tightening and very painful. It doesn't last long if I stretch. Have no idea what is causing it.
I have been experiencing something somewhat like what you all are explaining but there is one big difference I am not noticing anyone mentioning. I _know_ what I am having is a muscle spasm or cramp because when it happens I can actually put my hand on the knot of muscle. I put my hand there and apply pressure and try to breathe and if I can I rub at it and I can actually feel when the muscle releases. Much like a charlie horse the problem is that the pain while not as intense after it lets go lasts for a good few hours. Also if I am not careful for the next day or two I find it is easier to trigger another one. These started after I had my daughter via c-section 4 years ago. I assumed that it was due to damage to my abdominal muscles but I would think after four years I should be back closer to normal.

There are things that I know can trigger a cramp but they never caused me problems before 4 years ago.

An example is today I was bent over putting vegetables in the crisper in the fridge and has a sudden sneeze. It took me to the floor as I had a cramp.

Another trigger was I was teaching my daughter how to do somersaults and was laid up in pain for a long time after that cramp.

I also used to do yoga and there are a handful of positions now that cause cramps.

I do not know all the triggers but I am wondering if this is the same as what you all are talking about or if I need to talk to my doctor. It is so frustrating because I feel like 4 years latter I should be able to do these things and I can't. The cramp is no where close to the c-section scar it is actually right bellow my left breast along the ribs almost to the center.

I have no fear of this being heart attacks but I hate to think I must suffer with this for the rest of my life. I did mention it to a clinic doctor I was seeing for bronchitis because the coughing was causing them to happen very frequently and she just shrugged it off saying that it's normal and her daughter gets them all the time. I have a hard time believing there are tons of people living with this. I've actually had one happen while driving and it scared me very badly because I couldn't even focus on the road I was bent over in pain and all I could do was slow down and hope no one hit me.
Wow u described exactly what I go thru, I too have been going thru this for some time and no doctor seems to know what it is. I pray that someone would find out what it is.
Has anyone found out the cause for this pain? I'm 60 years old have high blood pressure and am hypothyroid, on meds for both. This pain is getting so bad I am afraid to move anymore. Just putting things away in cabinets can cause it for me.
I also get this.  I have off and on for several years.  It seems its worse the heavier I am, so I wonder if it has something to do with the stomach muscles.  It is very painful, and seems to come a different times and intervals depending on you position.  It takes at least 5 minutes to go away, and I try to stretch it out by bring arms up above my head and bending the opposite way from the side that's clenching.  I am back on my diet so hoping it will recede once I have lost a few lbs.
I cant believe the amount of people that suffer from this.  I did look up costochondritis symptoms.  It does not seem to be related.  
I have suffered with this pain for over 20 years and after having undergone a C-section. At first the extremely painful muscle spasms traveled up and down my mid-section and caused me to double up in pain. I went to a few doctors and the last one I went to said the spasms were caused by the internal scarring from the C-section : / (scars rubbing together). I would get these spasms on and off when I would stretch for something or when bending down. I also noticed these spasms would occur more often when I would gain weight. In 2009 I started having pain on my right side mid-section below my right breast. I noticed my right side protruding more than the left and my right side felt harder than my left. I went to get checked for kidney stones and I did not have any. In 2012 I asked another doctor if I might have a hernia and he said no. In the last couple of years the spasms on my right mid-section by lower rib cage have gotten more painful, the area sometimes feel hard (knots) and has swelling. The spasms are extremely painful and feel like the clenching will never end. Tonight I had a spasm after I bent down to pick up a small box and was able to calm the twitching by massaging the area. I am going to try the calcium supplement and plan to go get another ultrasound because this pain has gotten worse.
I have also suffered with this for 10 years and call it my 'flippy' thing LOL.  That's what it feels like - I just have to turn or twist a certain way, and this pain rolls in sharply under my right breast, under my ribcage, it feels like something 'catches'. Lasts probably less than a minute, I just have to sort of be still and then I feel something 'flip' or slide somewhere and I'm good to go. I had lung surgery 10 years ago and had 2/3 of my right lung removed and it never happened prior to that. The doctors I have mentioned it to, never really had a clue nor seemed concerned. I recently gained 40 pounds and it seems to be happening more frequently again.  So glad to see I'm not the only one with this mystery flippy thing.  
I have also suffered with this for 10 years and call it a 'flippy' thing (lol) like flippytummy above.  That's what it feels like - I just have to turn or twist a certain way, and the pain rolls in sharply under my right breast. Lasts probably less than a minute, I just have to sort of be still and then I feel something 'flip' or contract and I'm good to go. I had lung cancer 10 years ago and had 2/3 of my right lung removed - it never happened prior to that, however, my remaining lung has inflated and filled the space of my lung so that part shouldn't have anything to do with it. The doctors I have mentioned it to never really had a clue nor seemed concerned. It can happen every day, or I can go months or even a year without it happening.  I recently gained 40 pounds and it seems to be happening more frequently again. For clarity:  The symptoms are quick, sharp unexpected stab of pain under my right breast, behind my ribs, like something catching or pinching inside of me, followed by the sensation of something flipping or contracting and the pain is gone- never long lasting if I just stop doing what I'm doing and stay still. I wish we could figure out what it is but at least I have company!  I also put on my FB page just an fyi -- and probably a dozen people responded, mainly women, with the same issue.
I had the same thing and was given the same diagnosis.  My Dr put me on potassium for 1 month and it felt a bit better, but in the past few days or so the cramping is coming back with a vengence .  I guess I have to make another trip to my DR.  I have an ileostomy which cause me to lose much fluid for some reason and probably when this happens I lose minerals too.
I have been having these muscle cramps for the last 5 years under my breasts and also in my lower stomach.  It happens if I turn the wrong way, or even bend to pick something up. I have even gotten them in my sleep.  They hurt like crazy but quickly subside if I change position.
I also get cramps in my feet  A  LOT  and wonder if this is all connected.  I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and was better for a while when I first started medication but the spasms are back. I have also just been diagnosed with Lyme disease ( lucky me) but these spasms I believe started before the lyme.   I would love to know what is causing this and how to stop it.  
I had the same thing, the first time it happened I thought I was having a heart attack. I ask my doctor who didn't really give me a satisfactory answer. It got worse & happened more often. Then one day when I was at my chiropractors I was laying down getting work done & she asked me to sit up & of course I got the spasm. She told me it was a rib spasm & even though it was at the front she felt down my back side of my rib cage & found a tender spot which I didn't know was sore until she pressed it. She explained that the muscle between the ribs were tight & where the tender spot was she pressed her nuckle  between the ribs & keep it there to stretch the muscle. It hurt but it was instant relief, I immediately felt better, I can do it myself if it starts to feel niggly or I will get my daughter to do it, I hope this helps everyone as it made a huge difference to my life.
I have realized after reading this that not everyone is experiencing the same thing. Some are talking about chest pains with trouble breathing inside the ribcage on the left or right side. Maybe the same just higher up. I dont know. I do know I have been getting what a lot of you described. Right below or at my last rib on the left side, I feel like I have a baby pushing into my rib cage at first than it starts to feel like i have an organ or something "fell asleep" the tingling and needle like feeling you get when your leg falls asleep. Than it goes directly into feeling like it formed into a ball/rock that radiates a dull achy pain that feels like it travels to the left and straight behind into my back in the exact same position. The only form of relief is for me to get a pillow and sit where the pillow is supporting my side until it goes away. This happens randomly. Not anything to do with bending over. Maybe more often than not I am just sitting down regularly. I do not have high blood pressure. I am 40 lbs over weight which came on rapidly. I do not take medicine in any form. I have not been to a doctor due to share of cost is too high. This started about a year ago. I have no chest pains what so ever. No painful breathing or hard to breath feelings. No tenderness to touch. No seeing or feeling any knots when pressing there. I do feel like sometimes there is a kicking feeling prior to and/or right after.
I looked this up and glad to see im not the only one. I was hoping to hear of what this could be and am extremely surprised that this has not been officially diagnosed by a doctor. I did look up fibromylasia and hyprthyroid and that costochondritis...I did not see one symptom of what this was in any one of those. Although I do have other symptoms that may link me to the hypothyroid but those are so close to other types of medical diagnoses that I now know why people get misdiagnosed so often. If any one does find out please let me know. I will try the vitamin supplements some of you were talking about and see a massage therapist since no doctor can find anything wrong it more likely would be a muscle thing. Thanks.
Hi, I too have had similar symptoms to what others have described for five years. While i still don't know for sure what i have, my gp suggested it could be asthma as it will cause tightness of chest and spasms from the inflammation. Not having insurance for years i never got to a specialist, but eventually will thanks to the new healthcare plan. While i think some of you have strained muscles and costochronditis is interesting you might not want to rule out it could be your lungs. I get spasms under my right breast and sometimes just feel breathless from it. It's like a drawing pulling sensation like something is stuck in there. Even wearing bras drives me mad and i'm not big in that area. I've heard the buteyko breath excercise is good for this and i'm going to try it out soon, you might want to try it out and see if it helps you, there's one drug free therapy to try. Hope this helps. Good luck to you all.
I think your right because my mom has it and so do I my mother was in the hospital and that is what they are giving her and she said she does not get any pain any more thank you because these feelings could be very scarey and it even feels like it goes near my belly button any one elese I was being to think I have a hernia
I have had this my whole life - but get it only when I am trying to put on hose or socks or something in a tight cramped-up position. I am 60 and work out almost every day. I have never had high blood pressure. The only way I can get any relief is to stretch back and upward till it lessens but I will still feel residual soreness there for days afterwards. It is such a small area but boy does it hurt! I take ibuprofen for the muscle soreness. Until I found this forum I never knew anybody else experienced this problem!
Hi.  I am amazed to see lots of other people have this.  It does feel like something gets "caught".  I get it if I lean down sidewards or scrunch myself up sidewards - I think always on the right, but not sure.  And then, yes, there's a pain, a kind of knot feeling under my ribs (like one's gone on top of another) and then gradually, as I press on it, they "undo" again.  It's sore afterwards.  It only lasts probably 10-20 seconds, and once, it came back again about a minute later.  I find it frightening and I live in fear of making that sudden movement.  I only get it maybe once a year - for the past 10+ years.  I also had twins, and a cesarean, and now I am wondering whether I did ever get it before I had them, and I don't think so.  Would just love to know best thing to do when it happens and that it's not dangerous (if it's not!).
Wow! I am so glad I found this page, everything you say I feel but mine lasts longer and I get them way to often , 2 0r 3 times a week I hate it and I end up crying because I dont know how to prevent it, I have gone to the doctor and to be honest they never really understood what I was saying, I guess it was because I used to compare the tightening of it to a hard ball and that it dint matter wether I tried to strech it was going to deflate when it had too, I know I dont make sence but reading your post I can now explain my self better tyvm..
Hi I feel exactlt what you described and its a scary feeling, im glad I can finally put a name to it..
Thanks for the tip.  Just took  The A D K vitamin supplement ..  Don't know why I had stopped it.  Everyone thinks I am nuts when having a spasm.  
I was recently rushed to the hospital via ambulance. I thought that I was having a heart attack but after a stress test , chest x-ray and other test that was not the case. I do have high blood pressure and when my side use to hurt my husband would always tell me to drink some water . I did it would subside then one day the pain got worse and I returned to the emergency room that time they gave me torodal not sure if I spelled that correctly .  The torodal made the pain go away immediately. However, I am still in pain so thanks to the ladies that shared the helpful suggestions. I did notice when I exercise and do my sides I start to have the pain all over again. Please let me know if anybody have any more thoughts thanks
1.  Could it be we have an infections/continuous type?  Someone said people with terrible joint pain and other pains stopped after having their teeth pulled that had had root canals done.  That the dentists can't get all of the bacteria and it can re-grow and leech infection into our blood stream affecting us in many ways.
2.  Could it be all the GMO's/pesticides in our foods leeching into our bodies? They are not just in the skins anymore.  They are down into the fruit now.  I started buying organic.
3.  I notice my cramps increase after drinking a coffee.
I am 47.  I use my inhaler more often now.  (Chemtrails?) I take Nexium for Gerd about three x's a week.  I have a 2 1/2 year old and I'm about 100 lbs overweight.  Low thyroid/nodule.  My chiropractor said he thinks I broke a rib as a child.  The adjustments don't help my cramps.  I'm worried I hurt myself tossing my baby in the air to make her laugh.  So many things go through my mind on what this could be.  I'm guessing outloud here to brainstorm with you all.  My mattress is sagging in the middle lately;could that be it?  My gallbladder was removed after baby was born.  Scartissue?  She laid sideways inside of me the entire pregnancy.  She was taken by csection one month early.  I have three buldging discs c3- thru c7. (No pain with spine)  What could it be?  Has anyone tried going totally organic or getting off wheat?  Write me with specific ideas if you don't mind. :)
***@****  Thanks! Kristina
a couple of years ago, I strained/pulled/sprained rib muscles on my lower left ribcage shoveling snow with my left hand. a Week ago, I woke up with back pain, could barely move.. the next few days I was getting muscle spasms in back muscles and rib muscles. I assumed the rib pain was because I was relying on those muscles to get out of bed and was reactivating an old injury..like when you resprain your ankle just by stepping wrong.
I would like to suggest to all who have complained of these muscle cramps/spasms that you try taking a magnesium supplement.  Preferably one that is in powdered form, added to water and then drunk.  A friend of mine suggested that I take a magnesium supplement when I complained to her of my legs suddenly cramping for no reason.  I, too, have had the same terrible under the breast (always the right breast) pain.  I believe taking magnesium helps immensely to stave off such pain. It certainly made my leg cramps stop altogether.

From "Pure Essence Labs" there is a powdered vitamin supplement called "Ionic Fizz."  I suppose you can find it online, although I purchase it at my local health food store. There's a calcium and a magnesium version, so be sure and get the magnesium one. Try drinking this supplement for 30 days and see if the pains don't go away completely.  Best of luck to all of you.  Those pains are no joke.

I would also like to suggest that anyone having such pains try to lose weight and definitely lower your intake of white flour and white sugar.  It's worth a try.
This is the exact area where I feel the pain..this occurs when I'm sitting on the toilet haha..it starts to concern me 'cause it's painful as if a small button is in there..it goes away when I straighten up but leaves me thinking there might be something starting to grow in there..so I come looking for answers..finding out i'm not alone..

2 months back I woke up and tried to prepare breakfast. I began to feel some little spasms under left breast and underneath ribs, but I continued to do my job. Later I saw that pain is going worse and It becomes hard for me to take breath. I took and gave breath hardly, later i felt that I don't feel good. I called my friend for help. When she came I felt that I am loosing my "energy". My hands went off, my eyes began to close. After she put me on bed few minutes later I began to feel good. I was told that maybe I my blood pressure fall. But why? I have never had such spasm or blood pressure fall. And two days back I was at balcony with pajamas (weather was cold) I felt spam again. It seemed like there is a beating heart under my hand. I thought that cold can affect it. But I am not sure. I also want to reveal what is it and take treatment.
I have the cramping at times - normally while sitting and then bending down to the right - it causes cramps under the right breast.  It went for many years with no information about what it was.

Then I talked to my Endocrinologist about it.  She had my blood tested.  It happened that I had extremely low MAGNESIUM levels. Now, I carry a bottle of Magnesium GEL caps 250 mg.  When I have a cramp, I take two, sometimes three.  It used to be that if I had a cramp, I would continue to have them all day.  Now, taking the Magnesium stops them from happening all day.  I just have the one cramping session and know that I need Magnesium in my system. Sometimes I add a banana for the quick potassium too.  In addition, I take a tablet of 400mg Magnesium and a tablet that has 500mg Magnesium/Calcium and Zinc every night before bed.

I am also type 2 diabetic.  Sometimes when I use the insulin shot, I get the extreme cramps in my feet when the insulin works into the muscles.  The Magnesium helps with this too.

Have you seen the commercials on TV about NEXIUM - the Purple Pill?  In the small text, they tell you that taking this pill can cause your magnesium levels to drop.  I do take an equivalent of the purple pill every day.  I am pretty sure this is why my magnesium levels are lower than normal.  If you take something for GERD or heartburn other than just plain TUMS - you should have your magnesium levels checked.
Probably a magnesium deficiency.  Get a blood test.
Thanks to all these comments about spasms under the breast and above the rib cage...from you all.  Mine started about a month ago and it's very unnerving especially if you turn to the side in bed and the spasm starts.  It's awful.  Because of your comments, I realized I do have chostochondritis (tsetse syndrome) since I was in my 20's which is that the breast bone is too close to the rib bones. When I start coughing every time I lay down...I cough up phlegm and then I'm ok.  Could be the coughing caused the breast bone and rib bone to abut closer?  That's how I see it. Possibly too, I haven't been eating bananas like I usually do.  Note to self:  MUST GET BANANAS!  The potassium could be key as someone mentioned earlier in this post.  But really?  The coughing is the BIG key.
Really. I've been trying to figure this out for 4 months . thank you. How is ALS diagnosed ?
I am 64, going on 65.  Last April, 17, 2015, I had a massive heart attack at night.  threw up, and told my husband I was "going out".  He called emt and started cpr.  He saved my brain by acting fast.  They used the paddles at least 15 times.  Put stent in rca as surgery was out of the question due to my condition.  Put me at 33 degrees, drug-induced coma, as I died again, and blew me up like balloon.  Woke up week and a half later.  Brain ok.  However, ended up with some quack in Nashville who gave me so many supplements to take (took for 18 days) that I gained 20 lbs in my stomach.  Never weighed over 119 in my life.  I weigh 140 now.  Trying to feed my heart but also am dieting to lose weight, walking the dog when I can and riding my sister's aerdyne bike for at least 20 minutes each. day.  Not taking any supplements until I lose this weight. Problem is this:  Under my left breast, there feels like a swelling of something that makes my breast feel like its on a shelf, it pulls and twists and moves and makes me feel really uncomfortable.  I had a ct scan of my stomach, and I had an xray by a gi doctor who thought I might have blockage in my colon.  They found nothing.  I thought I could have gotten parasites due to all those quack's supplements.  I did find giardia on my private parts, but I cleansed myself with castor oil drink, ground cloves and ground flax seed for 4 days.  I even saw a worm like thing come out of my rectum, as it was not fecus colored, but bright reddish-pink like an earthworm.  Then I went to doctor and had them test my feces.  It came out negative.  I couldn't believe it and read that you never take that test after a laxative or it comes now negative. so I went to gi doctor to do "comprehensive test" on feces.
Again, it came out negative.  I am of the belief that it has something to do with my breasts having blown up a size, my stomach being too large making my back hurt, and that somehow, a muscle is cramping up and down.  I have had no doctor that I've seen, heart, internist, or otherwise, give me any explanation as to why this thing keeps moving around and making me feel crappy and sort of hurts.  I think maybe I will try hot showers more often as I've been so depressed, I only bathe every few days - and this has been going on for at least 6 months.  But I think the water might help.  I already take Lorazepam twice a day, so it looks like that would relax it, but it always comes back, and like you guys say, it always comes back when I am going to sleep and turn on my right side - then the left starts its things all over again....I take Brilinta for my stent, and an aspirin and Carvedilol as a beta blocker.  Don't know if those medicines cause cramps.  I think it has to do with the fact that my body has been through sooo much, and so many hits with the paddles and now with the extra weight, that muscle is rejecting the whole thing.  Maybe with time and exercise, it will get better.  Pray for me, and if you know anything about what I have said to give me advice, please respond asap.
So many of us have this same problem.  I can't believe that doctors cannot find the source. I too experience the knots under my Brest and feet if I turn the wrong way. What do we all have in common? I believe it is the medicines that we take. I take Sinthroid for hyperthyroidism and metformin for diabetes. Could it be possible that most of you take these medicines too? I guess we all have to come together to find a common ground and hopefully discover what is causing this. Doctors will not tell us if it's a side effect of the meds they are pumping us. They have to peddle those meds. I do a lot of research and I've come to the conclusion that it's our meds.
Amp166700
I'm not on the same meds as you though??? But I'm having the same problem.  For many years I have had problems with the muscles in between my front, side and back ribs. I get little muscle "knots" about the size of a loonie that seize & cramp up just like a mini charley horse. It has been occurring more frequently and in more areas than before. I went to school for massage therapy so I know how to try to "release" the muscle knot but it only works sometimes. It is in the areas where a person would have intercostal neuralgia but instead of nerves it's attacking the muscles and I don't know what's causing it and it is getting worse everyday. Has anybody heard about this and where can I find research for this condition? . I desperately need to find out how to prevent these painful episodes. Thank you for your time and consideration, please.... I would be greatly appreciative of any help I can get thanks.
I want to know if anyone ever found out what causes this. I have it very often on both sides. I turn wrong or twist, stretch, take a deep breath or turn over in bed. When it first started, it actually felt like a baby stretching out into my ribcage. Now it is worse. It's hard to breathe when it happens so I basically freeze sometimes. Sometimes bending forward leaning on something helps but not always. Please did anyone find out why this happens?
Yes!!! That's is EXACTLY  what it feels like....a baby moving around in your ribs!!!!
GEEZE I really wish SOMEONE could help all of us out
i am 59 but have been have the spasms for several years, it feels like a baby moving and i can even see my right side poke out like a baby was kicking out. It hurts so bad and i seem to get it if i sit too long.
Im only 14 and was on here just to see why I have spasms on my right ribcage but what all of yall are saying is what Ive been experiencing since I hit puberty. In my belief its the muscle under the boobs... Or lack of exercise. I get it every now and then after I started track. Almost died the first day but Im okay. Just it is painful and when resting on side I'll feel it and if I turn it'll move back and twist which feels soooo bad! My doctor just gave me an inhaler. But I couldn't use it though. Mom wouldn't let me.
I believe I have costocondritis

I've had bouts in the past, like a Charlie horse in my rib cage, can show up just about anywhere in my ribs but most often in my right side. I'm right handed & reaching can set it off. Have gotten it bad with bronchitis, but have gotten it with bad with flu . . . had been doing good till now, just started dieting, low carb, low fat & on vacation for going on a week, showed up after 3 days of the diet & 4 days off work. When I'm off work I often forget my vitamins/supplements. I take my Armor thyroid med & bio-identical hormones but forget my 3 tabs magnesium which I know stops the cramps but also I'm starting to put this together. I have not been thirsty, I'm drinking less than half the water that I normally do, same as when I'm sick. So I think dehydration is part of it. Also my last vit D test was low even though I was taking 10,000, so I normally take 20,000 D, which I have not done for 4 days. I normally take vit K & B vitamins, regular vitamins, all of which I have been too lazy to take! So I was feeling great, I changed my food intake (to veggies, lean meat & fruit) but drinking less than half the water that I normally do, and forgetting all my supplements, magnesium, vit D (which I KNOW I need HIGH doses of both- do not take them at the same time, one cancels the other out-doctor never told me that!) my K, my B sups & regular vitamins and BAM!  Such bad cramps I'm getting them from turning over in bed! they hit me in waves, a few seconds of Charlie horse pain so bad I can't hardly breathe, only thing that lessens them is to cough till it's gone & they will often last up to 5 minutes hitting me in waves. Got up took my supplements & grabbed water! So stay hydrated & take supplements! I know that I need Magnesium & D for sure!
I have a charlie horse in my ribs and just about every where in my body and about two weeks ago I had charlie horse in my heart
Muscle spasm can be caused by many things including dehydration, lack of calcium, lack of other electrolytes, and side effects from medications. I recommend seeing a massage therapist. They can work with your intercostals to decrease tone and prevent recurring spasm.
I also have diabetes and take Metformin and also have charlie horses Under my rib cages I floplike a fish and I scream in pain it hurts so so bad Ive been told to try magnesium I;m going to try it because my doctor said he can't find anything wrong
I have the same spasms but it also goes down to my right leg
I also have spasms my Dr. Started me on baclofen 4 times a day seem to work .I went on vacation forgot my pills n it stared again.
I have the same thing but I do not take any meds other than antibiotics evey few years so I doubt it has anything to do with meds . I am 36 and it has been happening for  about 6 months. Seems to be getting worse. I first noticed it doing sit-ups and a massive Charlie horse feeling happened in my heart area. I had an ultra sound of hear done and stress test and everything is normal. The dr is stumped! I don't know what to do!
I also have spasms under ribs and down my back.I find ice helps reduce the pain and stops spasms.also magnesium will help
I too currently suffer from this. My symptoms are exactly as you've described yours! With no answers. I'm currently having th3se issues as I hold my breath to type trying to find answers. Glad I'm not the only one who deals with this. Medical professionals have no clue I was told in the past that it's pleuracy. And now recently they look at me as if it's all in my head.
I suffer with these as well, the ones in the stomach and hamstrings are the most painful!!! "tears" worthy kinda pain... I tried everything under the sun for relief, everything from increased fluids,potassium,to prescription for muscle relaxers, to no avail nothing worked until a trip to the ER for heart issues, LAB work was done I was given MAGNESIUM because my levels were low,  I did some research on the supplement and one symptom to low level of magnesium is MUSCLE SPASMS....I have been taking the supplements for 6 months and I have no SPASMS.. you can buy these supplements really anywhere and not very expensive....