muscle spasms under breast in ribs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 201-282 comments:
Wow, just unbelievable I've been going through this for about 5 yrs keep asking for answer and get none, just brush it off as if I'm a hypo. Even when at vets the other day and he seen first hand couldn't believe it but did acknowledge to bad he didn't have an answer as well. Have had different test etc but still goes on and seems to trigger more foften and with little movement now.  Anyone does finally get an answer let me know and I'll do the same if I find out.  And like you all it's nice to know its not in my head but my body.  Gloria
omg i have the same thing i was sick for 3 weeks with bronchitis and now im on antibiotics for 10 days and im on the  7 days now and the past 3 days i been haven like i can feel my muscles cramping around or like cramps ready to start idk what it is. and i turn the wrong way and i get cramps on my saides i call them fat cramps lol..but now this feeling under my boobs is a astrange feeling almost liek crampy for diarea (diarrhea) but i dont have diarea (diarrhea) idk its ery hard to explain it...=(
please consider ALS.  although unrecognized, there appears to be strong evidence suggesting that statins may trigger ALS-like symptoms.
I have been having a similar problem and feel much better knowing that I am not alone.  Mine has only started this last year since I have put on an extra 20lbs or so.  It makes complete sense now.  I am also on anti anxiety pills and had very high blood pressure after I had my last child.  Guess this is the time to get healthier. :)
I get them, and I am not overweight. So...there.
I first got my "charlie horse" while I was pregnant with triplets. Didn't get it again for about 10 years after.  Mine is sort of like a "catch".  I have to stand up and push on the area to get the pain to go away.  I've asked 3 doctors and they just shrug, like I'm crazy or something.  I atrributed it to a muscle damage from carrying 3 babies.
I am 27, 5 feet tall and normal weight for my height. This has happened a couple times, maybe twice in a month.  The first time I was sitting in the passenger side of the car, bending down to get something out of my purse, and this piercing chest pain right in between my breasts, feeling like a cramp and spasm hit me.  It was very painful and I had to take deep breaths, until the tightness went away.  Last night, it happened again in the bathtub. I was lyling down and upon pulling myself up to a seated postition in the tub, the tightness/cramp/spasm came.  I looked down at my chest,and there was a visible lump sticking out, that felt like a muscle.  I took deep breaths and sat leaning upwards, until it eventually subsided.  It was a very frightening experience. I wish I had answers to what this could be???
I found this sight in hopes of an answer to my muscle spasms under both my breasts ans abdomen.also when I reach down to pick something up it trigers the "charly horse" (spasms) where I can hardly breath-pain is so bad.I notice that if I can lean back and relax it will subside.I'm on Methocarbamol for spasms also valium to calm me.Hope this might help someone!Also someone mentioned Quianine-(Spelling bad) but you can get it through health food stores in the USA.
   I just pray someone can find a cure or why this is happening to us :)
Hi...I seem to get charlie horses in ribs and sides after I have eaten fruits also after started taking VC tablets......has anyone else had this
Hi... I am 43 and I have had this happening to me for the past 8 years or so. It is a very scary feeling and you are wondering if you are going to die? Mine is in the left upper rib cage under my left breast. It cramps up and then starts to squeeze. Sometimes I hurt in my back at the same time. I just walk around until it stops. I have been told it is called Costiochondritis, may have spelled it incorrectly, but that spelling is close. It is an inflamation (inflammation) around your ribcage (basically mucus) and needs ibuprofen, naproxen, and there are some herbs and spices that reduce inflamation (inflammation) as well. Look that up. Might be worth your time. I know it is awful. I get them and it is very scary. You think you might be having a heart attack or some crazy thing about to kill you. It is supposed to be harmless, but hurts! Ask your Dr. about it.
When I found this forum a week ago, I sat and read all of them and was happy to see I wasn't alone in my pain.  I am a 50 year old woman who is about 50 lbs overweight.  I started having these charlie horse pains under my rib cage about 2 months ago following a bout of coughing from bronchitis (not sure if the coughing and illness set it off).  It would happen from just bending over to shave in the shower or twisting to wash my backside or stretching in the morning to yawn.  Anyways, someone on this site recommended Calcium.  Thank You...Thank You...Thank You.  After only 3 days of taking Viactive (which is a calcium suppliment that also has Vitamin K and Vitamin D), I no longer have these pains.  The areas where I had these horrible muscle contractions are still a little sore, but NO MORE TIGHTENING PAIN !!!  Thank God !  Just wanted to share this with all you women who shared my pain and hope it helps you too.  It is amazing that these doctors today can't diagnose this problem.  If you happen to be a doctor reading this, pass it on to your patients with this problem.  What can it hurt.  It just vitamins !
I am  49 yo female 5'1..not over wieght and I have been having leg cramps, toes cramps for years...now all of a sudden Im having cramps in my ribs when I laugh hard or turn just right..also in my neck and shoulders...painful!!!!   yrs ago my doctor told me it was because my potassium was way too low. If any of you have not had urs checked I would do so. Guess mine needs checking again. When I was on potassium pills I didnt get them much at all. So its worth a try...good luck to all
Ever find out?
I've been told it may even be a Hernia in muscle and fat are under the rib cage. I have not pain, just alot of movement every now and then, as though i was pregnant. But thats impossible, Im fixed.
Your situation sounds just like mine.  Have you found a solution?  When I'm not having the spasms, it is still tender, and it does seem worse after wearing a tight bra.

Good luck and please reply back.  I could have written this myself.
I have been a hairstylist for 27 years. I am overweight and I have high blood pressure. I told my Dr. That for the last year I have been having extremely painful "Charlie horse" like muscle cramps in my ribs, stomach and back. He told me that if the cramps continue that I would have to give up my job. Since I own the place, I do not want to do this. The pain is like a bad cramp... Similar to a leg cramp but even worse. The pain does not spasm... The pain just clamps down and doesn't let up for several minutes. What bringsit on is bending.. Like shampooing someone, and even stretching. I can't even yawn and stretch without the cramp hitting me full force. I am scared as to what this could be. The Dr did a blood test and found my Potassium was low.... Not alarmingly low, but low. So I asked to be put on Potassium pills and he did. For one week I had no muscle cramps. And even though I am eating lots of high potassium foods, It is not helping. So I don't think that is all that is going on. But I have no idea what is causing it.
Its calledcostochondritis or tietz syndrome. It is an inflammation of muscles that lead to lungs and rib cage. I was having same problems but mine lasted up to 10 mins. Saw dr and was diagnosed and prescribed muscle relaxers. Hope this helps.
Hey I hope this helps - my mom got same problem but ever since she start drinking pure carrot juice, eats banana a day,cashews and sunflower seeds, it happens lot less. Try to eat all these eveday and see if it helps u too. I knw it's very very painful. I hope u get better
Just talked to a friend who is having this too.  Interestingly, my friend is a man.  I think everyone else who has reported this is a woman.  

I would again like to thank whoever posted the suggestion to stretch your arm over your head in the opposite direction.  It really helps me.

I recently did without milk for two weeks and developed charlie horses, cramps in my feet and the terrible under the rib cramp.  I started taking calcium and they eased up.  
im only 14 years old and have the exact pain and sometimes it hurts to move or even breathe. i dont think its normal for my age. but i only get if i run to long, or if i breathe to hard, or i'll just get the pain  while im sitting. i dont know what to do, but it just bugs me because some of the things i want to do, i cant because im in so much pain.
I have though the same thing but I have also had a hysterectomy! This spasm doesn't necessarily hurt, more than it is annoying, it feels just like when I was PG and baby would kick up against the ribs!  The strange thing is, I did have a left inguinal hernia repair 4 weeks ago and then this started within the last 3 days. It is really weird... Been reading everyone's comments. Unfortunately I hate bananas with a passion :/  but I'm going to start taking potassium and magnesium and see if it helps.  What's the part about bras? Because I have worn underwire bras all my life.
So has anyone out there gotten an answer? My Doctor said and I quote, "That's a big muscle group, can't do anything about it!" Then he dismissed me like a bad kid! I got another doctor and he doesnt know either. I need to know what this is and how to fix it. I have to actually lay down and push out on my ribs by not breathing until it goes away. I have it on both sides and it is getting worse.
I started getting these charlie horse cramps after my second pregnancy.  The Dr.'s said it was too high for gall bladder.  You can totally feel and see the knot when I am having such a spasm.  It literally knocks the wind out of me.  To cure, I try not to panic and have to "rub" the knot out while standing tall.  It gets worse if I try to lay flat.  My first attack was while using the breast pump I bent down to adjust the cord.  It scared me so much my assistant took me to the E. R. They told me they weren't sure of what it could be and sent me home with antibiotics for a U. T. I.  Does anyone think it could be a side affect from having an epideral?
I have similar concerns, so this may be of help to some of you.

(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Precordial Catch Syndrome (PCS), also known as Texidor's Twinge, is a common cause of chest pain complaints in children and adolescents. It also occurs, though less frequently, in adults. PCS manifests itself as a very intense, sharp pain, typically at the left side of the chest, generally in the cartilage between the bones of the sternum and rib cage, which is worse when taking breaths. Patients often think that they are having a heart attack which causes them to panic. This pain typically lasts from 30 seconds to a few minutes. The frequency of episodes varies by patient; sometimes occurring daily with multiple episodes each day, or on a less frequent basis with weeks, months, or even years between episodes. Though some episodes last just a few breaths, in some cases they can persist for up to 30 minutes. On rare occasions, breathing in or out suddenly will cause a small popping or cracking sensation in the chest, which results in the pain going away. In most cases the pain is resolved quickly and completely, and medication is not needed for the pain to subside. There is no known treatment or cure for PCS.[1]

History
The syndrome was first described and named by Miller and Texidor in 1955.[2] They reported the condition in 10 patients, one being Miller himself. In 1978, PCS was discussed by Sparrow and Bird who reported that 45 healthy patients suffered from it and that it was probably more frequent than generally assumed.[3] PCS has also been reported on by Pickering in 1981[4] and by Reynolds in 1989[5] who did a report of the children in the US with the condition. These constitute the literature available on PCS.

Symptoms
PCS has consistent characteristics. Its symptoms begin with a sudden onset of anterior chest pain on the left side of the chest. The pain is localized and does not radiate like heart attack pain typically does. Breathing in, and sometimes breathing out, often intensifies the pain. Moving also intensifies the pain. Typically this causes the patient to freeze in place and breathe shallowly until the episode passes. Episodes typically last a couple of seconds to three minutes. The frequency of episodes varies by patient, sometimes occurring daily, multiple episodes each day, or more spread out over weeks, months, or years between episodes. PCS is believed to be localized cramping of certain muscle groups. Intensity of pain can vary from a dull annoying pain to intense pain causing momentary vision loss/blurriness and loss of breath.

Causes
The cause of PCS is unknown. Miller and Texidor suggested that the pain may originate in the parietal pleura of the lungs. Exeer suggested that this pain originates from very brief intercostal muscle spasm which relieved after release of spasm unlike intercostal muscle strain (6). The pain is most likely not of cardiac origin.[1]

Treatment
There is no known cure for PCS. However PCS is not believed to be dangerous or life threatening, and generally not seen as a major medical issue. Many see the worst part about PCS to be the fear that this chest pain is an indicator of a heart attack or other dangerous condition. PCS should only occasionally interfere with normal activity, and there is no reason to use any form of medication.
Wow. Your research has been the best. I'm 45 and have been experiencing this muscle spasm underneath my right breast. I'm a long distance runner who has had Type I chronic diabetes for most of my life. The spasm usually occurs after bending down and after a very long run where I lost a lot of fluid. I just always excused this pain due to my diabetes and being chronically dehydrated. The cramping is  about the size of a marble or two and it squeezes so tight that I have to stretch my belly out (the opposite direction) and breath deeply. It's very scary because I never know how long it will last and whether or not I will recover from it. Thanks for the post.
I also have been having severe cramps around the rib cage.earlier i would havecramps in the calf muscles or foot muscles.but this is more severe,longer lasting and does notgo awayso easily.i am 51 yrsof age,overweight,sedentary( college teacher).
I have started on calcium,vit E vit D.
I had TB of the spine about 3 yrs back in which L3,L4 vertebrae were damaged.
From WebMD:
You could be out for a run or drifting off to sleep when it happens: The muscles of your calf or foot suddenly become hard, tight, and extremely painful. You are having a muscle cramp.

Sometimes called charley horses -- particularly when they are in the calf muscles -- cramps are caused by muscle spasms, involuntary contractions of one or more muscles. In addition to the foot and calf muscles, other muscles prone to spasms include the front and back of the thigh, the hands, arms, abdomen, and muscles along the rib cage.

Almost everyone experiences muscle cramps, which come without warning. What causes them, and what can you do to relieve them?
Possible Causes of Muscle Cramps

Muscle cramps can have many possible causes. They include:

Poor blood circulation in the legs
    Overexertion of the calf muscles while exercising
    Insufficient stretching before exercise
    Exercising in the heat
    Muscle fatigue
    Dehydration
    Magnesium and/or potassium deficiency
    Calcium deficiency in pregnant women
    Malfunctioning nerves, which could be caused by a problem such as a spinal cord injury or pinched nerve in the neck or back

Muscle cramps can also occur as a side effect of some drugs. Medications that can cause muscle cramps include:

Lasix (furosemide), Microzide (hydrochlorothiazide), and other diuretics ("water pills") used to remove fluid from the body
    Aricept (donepezil), used to treat Alzheimer's disease
    Prostigmine (neostigmine), used for myasthenia gravis
    Procardia (nifedipine), a treatment for angina and high blood pressure
    Evista (raloxifene), an osteoporosis treatment
    Brethine (terbutaline), Proventil and Ventolin (albuterol), asthma medications
    Tasmar (tolcapone), a medication used to treat Parkinson's disease
    Statin medications for cholesterol such as Crestor (rosuvastatin), Lescol (fluvastatin), Lipitor (atorvastatin), Mevacor (lovastatin), Pravachol (pravastatin), or Zocor (simvastatin)

Treatment of a Muscle Spasm

When muscle cramps occur, there are several things you can do to help ease them, such as massaging, stretching, or icing the muscle, warming the muscle, or taking a bath with Epsom salt.

For a charley horse in the calf or a cramp in the back of the thigh (hamstring), try putting your weight on the affected leg and bending your knee slightly, or sit or lie down with your leg out straight and pull the top of your foot toward your head. For a cramp in the front of the thigh (quadriceps), hold onto a chair to steady yourself and pull your foot back toward your buttock.

To help reduce the risk of cramps in the future, try the following:

Eat more foods high in vitamins and magnesium and calcium.
    Stay well hydrated.
    Stretch properly before exercise.

In most cases, self-care measures are sufficient for dealing with muscle cramps, which typically go away within minutes. But if you experience them frequently or for no apparent reason, you should speak to your doctor. They could signal a medical problem that requires treatment.
pleurisy maybe
I am glad to know that I am not the only one who is dealing with this. I have been dealing with this for 5 yrs. It started out a mild cramping in my leaft side that happened only twice a year. Then it started getting more often and alternates with the same thing on the right side. The cramping gets so bad that I can't breathe. I can't wear a bra because it makes it worse. The pain got so bad that I had to go to the ER. They x-rayed my lungs and did EKG. Everything was normal. They gave me muscle relaxers and pain meds. I hate taking pain meds but now they are necessary. I have been active and love to travel but now I have problems just going shopping. Has anyone found an answer?
I have been having this pain for several years. As everyone else here, no one can explain to me what is causing it. Mine is only under the right breast. Hurts like ____!!!!! Every test that has been mention on here plus loads more have been done. No answers!!  So my prayers go to all here who suffer from this crap..  
.
I can promise you this isn't just occurring in women. I've had these sorts of rip cage cramps all my life, mostly going years or months between episodes with the exception of calf cramps that occur more frequently. I see no correlation with any sort of activity or nutrition.
My first "left side chest cramp" ever occured just today and I've been eating bananas and drinking OJ for two days in preparation for a fast so it's not a potassium shortage. I've been pushing water so it's not dehydration. I also take vitamin mineral supplements. This one happened whilst stretching. I thought I was having a heart attack.
They do tend to happen in clusters over a few days. I had a lower right back quadrant one in the shower just yesterday and that was also a first. I thought I was having a kidney stone or something. It's frightening and odd that doctors don't know how to treat it and can't determine a cause. I wish everyone the best. Just know we aren't alone :(
Business_woman2
I have had that same sharp pain and thought I was having a heart attack.  Went to the ER and they took blood and said it wasn't a heart attack  it was heart burn and gave me some liquid antiacid (over the counter brand) to drink and told me not to lay down flat because it would hurt more. The antiacid really helped but it took a day before I was without any pain. From then on I keep the liquid antiacid around for emergencies.  It has  happened to me several times especially after drinking too much!  

Then there are the pains like charley horses that just kill me cramps all over for no apparent reason which I could figure them out as I did with the ones in my rib cage that went all the way through my back....two totally different symptoms.  I just start gulping water as fast as I can with these cramps that seems to help make them go away.  I think I am dehydrated when they occur.
Honey is a natural anti infamatory! (worth a try) :-)
Still without answers but am soo happy to see that im not going through this alone! I have muscle spasims that started (under my left breast) about three days ago. I thought that maybe it was due to my workout regimine that i recently started up again. At this point its just very annoying. Im 40 and am really starting to feel all my aches and pains......im a bit worried. if anyone has any remedies or answers....please share. Thank you. :-)
Hi,  I also experience those things but with me I feel like I have to catch my breath like I can't get enough and that can trigger a cramp below my ribcage and it hurts like crazy. Dose anyone else experience that?
I started by taking potassium, I took 3 supplements in one day, it didn't help.  I then read an article that said to take magnesium, so I did and within 2 days the cramps have stopped.  It is caused from a vitamin deficiency.  You just have to figure out which one.  It could be potassium, magnesium or calcium.  I used the process of elimination.
By Lauen. My pain is at the inside of my left rib cage. It feels like a ball rolling inside my skin and I can't move. One time I had to pull over when I was driving to wait untill it went away in about 1 or 2 min of severe pain. Today for the first time I had 3 episodes. I had to grab my stomach and massaged the area, but scary and hard to relax. I have not had this in front of anyone yet... But if I do I cant move and I am sure they will panic to see me in such pain.
I have been getting this spasm, right under my right rib cage for several months now, I don't know what it is. The biggest spasm to date happened today. My reaction was to rub on it and that is when I felt that it sort of lift the rib cage a little, giving me the most uncomfortable and frightning experience, as a charlie horse would in any area of your body. I went to the ER last week for an unrelated issue and I did get a sonogram of my gull bladder and it wasn't that. I wish there was a definate answer to what it could be.
I would like to know what causes this.
hello,
       i too get this but i am only 19 years old its always a twiching and fluttering feeling in the right side of my right breast and usually lasts all day im not in pain but it is very annoying and if i put my hand on it i can feel it twiching im usually at work when it happens but im not stressed or have anxiety. im very confused by it and would love to see some more peoples insight on what causes this

thanks anna . :)
I get severe cramping on the side of my rib cage when I twist or move.  I also will get cramps in my calves, feet, and intestines.  The intestines are the worse.  I did have an episode once at work.  Freaked a coworker out.  I have not had the intestine cramping for a couple of months now.  To get the pain to stop quicker, I will drink a lot of water, take natural muscle relaxer, take calcium supplements and potassium supplements.  I will also try to stretch or work the muscle cramping to get it to stop.  Usually the pain will then subside within 5 minutes.  Since taking the supplements and drinking water, my intestines have not cramped in awhile.  Also, chiropractic adjustments help.  When your back is out, muscles are not in the correct place and can spasm.  
So.. I'm 24 years old and I have NEVER dealt with something like this before. I am 5' 8" and weigh 115lb (this is a normal weight for me, I have always been relatively thin my entire life.)

I was out with my husband yesterday, it was about 89 degrees with 57% humidity. We decided to go to the self-serve car wash to give my car a well deserved clean-out after being neglected since last August when we moved shortly after getting married. I was doing pretty good, taking breaks and water breaks every so often to stay hydrated and not overdo it.

We were only there for about a half hour to about an hour. I was still feeling really good so we proceeded to go out for the day and grab lunch. By the time we got back I had been outside for another hour. I still was taking those drinks of water every now and again.

I had the fans running and it stayed pretty cool inside the house. Still, drinking water.

It was about 4:45pm. We had to be at his parents house for a family get-together. We were on the road when I suddenly started feeling an acidy sickness in my stomach and just felt awful. I thought maybe perhaps it would just go away on its own, but it kept getting worse and worse. I thought for sure I would lose it. I told him that we needed to turn around. There was absolutely no way I would go anywhere feeling so sick.

I got back home, grabbed a cold pack and a glass of water and went to lay down. I took the cold pack and placed it over my forehead and eyes (helps alleviate nausea). My stomach started to immediately settle and then I felt extremely tired. Zach, my husband, said it was probably heat sickness. Since I hadn't been out much since early last fall.. my body wasn't adjusted to the intense heat. (He also said I have a tendency to overdo things without even realizing I am overdoing it. I could be working out and I wouldn't find out until 4 days after when I'm doubling over from muscle soreness... I don't know if that could be a problem in itself.) I fell asleep and napped for a bit. I woke up somewhere around 8pm. I felt much better and got up to hang out with Zach.

It was now 9:45pm. Zach and I were watching coverage of a few freak storms that ripped through Kansas and Oklahoma. I was sitting on the floor, watching the weather radar on my laptop. I saw something interesting on the radar and wanted to tell Zach about it, so I turned and got on my hands and knees (he was sitting next to me about 7ft away) and crawled over to him. I stretched and then realized a cramping pain radiating in my left rib cage up through my shoulder blade through my neck to the underside of my jaw. I thought it was just a rouge spasm and paid no attention to it.

However, as I was talking with my husband the pain just kept growing stronger and stronger until I yelped because it hurt so bad. I got up and felt a tad better, but then it started again. I told him I was going to go lay down because it was just becoming unbearable. I started feeling sick again because it hurt so bad. I usually can withstand a lot of pain (reason why I overdo it so often) so for me to cry.. its got to be extremely painful.

laying down helped some, but it still hurt so bad. I called out to Zach and said I needed help getting a bigger cold press to lay across my back. He got me one and it helped a lot for a little while, but then the cramps came back and completely ravaged me. I writhed for hours. Zach offered to take me somewhere, but I couldn't get up to save my life. I felt fine if I didn't breathe, or breathed out, but when I let myself relax back, it hurt bad. REAL bad. Soon, the pain was just so much that I ended up passing out for the night.

I remember waking up and tossing and turning for better relief, but couldn't find any. =/

So now its day two. I still have the same pains. I might go see someone today because of it. They probably won't tell me much, but I hope they will be able to at least give me something for my troubles. I am a person who can't stay still. I have to be moving. So this is just... (I can't even describe.)
I have this same condition and many years ago I was diagnosed with a condition called costochondritis.  Please look this up because this may be what you are going through.  I still have the same issues and it is driving me crazy and the left side under my left breast is protruding more than the right side.  I have a tightness across my ribs and around the left and right side.  
IF YOU LANDED ON THIS PAGE AND HAVING ISSUES WITH YOUR RIBS PLEASE LOOK UP ' COSTOCHONDRITIS'!!  
I get cramps on my right side toward the top of my rib cage right be low my chest. The pain started during my pregnancies. With my second, it was significantly worse. After I ha my second child, I noticed that I would still cramp in that same spot.
I figure I have a knot in there somewhere that'll occasionally give me fits. It's been 3 years and it still comes and goes. Last night it cramped and because I was so tired, I didn't take the time to ease the pain completely. It's pretty sore this morning. I just figured this is something I have acquired from having babies and it probably will happen again with number 3.
I have been trying to read up on natural remedies, and the one that made the most sense was the calcium. I always take calcium and have for years, but I still sometimes get this horrible charlie horse below my breast. I guess we just have to try and breathe through them and take more calcium and D.
Thank you for your comment.
I am 39 yrs old and have just recently starting having the rolling twinges or pain under my right breast in the upper rib cage / diaphragm area. I'm not over weight, do not have high blood pressure, I'm not on my feet all day, and can breathe with no problem before, during, and after the episodes. It literally feels like a baby moving or kicking when the episodes occur. Sometimes the pain is bad enough to cause me to hold my breath, but generally I'm ok. It's just really weird. It's time for my yearly exam so I WILL be addressing this issue during my appointment. I will post the MD's response.
I have suffered for years with these spasms. All it takes is a slight turn to the right or left, and the spasm starts.  It takes my breath away and is very uncomfortable, especially when driving. Thank you for sharing your story.  I will buy some Viactive tomorrow and let you all know how i get on.. I am so pleased that you are feeling much better.
Hi! I have questions to. I had a partila lung removal on my right side due to stage 1 lung cancer. they took the whole right lower lobe. Since then I get these cramps under and below and to the left of the right rib. Today, it is happening a lot when i get up from a sitting positio. It is scary for me because it turns as hard as a Rock. I mean hard and once it locks up it is hard to get it to lossen. I was wondering if it was because of this surgery of about 2 years now, but Today it is at its worse, It makes it hard to breathe and especially scary when it locks up. I usually try to rub it right away, in public, though it is strange. Today though it has happened like 4-5 times already and i am getting concerned. When I get it 2x i am concerned. But Today is off the charts. Any ideas?
See my answer above.  It works!
oh god I have this for a 5 month I was in the hospital 1 week they help me with the pain all kind of test  give me prescription for the heart now is not that is the right lung a nodule  on my lung waiting for another mri  nothing yet last nite I thought I was going to die same cramp but worse dr said don't worry is ok I take 5 pills every 15 minutes  for my heart thinking was the heart but  it help for now but I don't know whats next'? now I see a cardiology and lung specialist and either know the problem and the cramp comes and go worse than having a baby I scream like crazy but I stay siil and no moving you body at all help the pain
I am going to try some of this Trixie. Thank you so much for sharing this.  I am going to turn 65 in 2 1/2 months and have suffered from fibromyalgia after a terrible flu in 1997.  The last several months I have tightening in my ankle tendons and now these terrible cramping  like you and so many others have told about.  
I have been having a lot of the symptoms I have read on all the posts, ie:  terrible cramps and spasms, movements that feel like I'm pregnant, Charlie horse-type pain which is initiated upon movement such as bending and stretching.  This Charlie-horse type pain is beneath my right breast and I have to sit up and hold my breath until the cramp subsides.  I also have been battling with bronchial asthma and have been to the ER several times this year, usually wake up in the middle of the night and cannot get my breath even though I'm on about 6 or 7 different meds including nebulizer treatments and rescue inhaler.  Well I had a CT scan about a week ago, and was told I have a Spigelian Hernia which is rare and my doctor says I will have to work on my breathing first and then we will discuss surgery for the hernia.  I'm guessing these painful symptoms under my Right Breast must be from the Spigelian Hernia.  It may help everyone with these symptoms to research this.  I am 51 and about 50 lbs over weight.  I've had three children.  However, the ER physician who diagnosed the hernia did not associate it with my inability to breath and as being a cause for the numerous Asthma attacks I have had this year.  I have started seeing my family physician who noted the hernia and said we would discuss it after we get my breathing condition under control.  From what I have read about the hernia, however, it is rare and there is high risk for strangulation.  
I can't believe I found this website. I've had this symptom for almost 10 years now. If I bend somewhat extremely (like the "crunch" exercise) I feel this knotting sensation - which is visible right underneath my right breast/ribs. I can watch it roll and resolve - I used to describe it as my liver flipping because I was convinced it was related to my liver. This symptom started when just after I had gained about 40 pounds (fairly rapidly). I am 5' 1" tall. My liver function is excellent, and I can't find any connection to this happening (or not) related to diet. It does not seem to be affected by alcohol (thus, I'm not thinking it's related to the liver any more) or fatty foods - I actually have a very high-fat, high-protein diet, but the symptom does not seem to follow any of my dietary patterns. I'd suspected that it might be related to eating wheat, but I've been off wheat and all grains for over 30 days now - and, I just got the flippy knot! Ugh! I've talked to my doctor about it, but they don't seem very concerned. At least I know that many people experience this, so I'm not as concerned as I was. I don't have extreme pain - it's just very uncomfortable until it resolves - usually no longer than 30-45 seconds, and I'm not that scared but I'd LOVE to know what the heck this is. I'll also add that when I harden my abdominal muscles, the area where this flippy, rolling, knot occurs, feels sore - like how a  sore muscle feels a day after intense exercise. Here's hoping that you are all well and, thank you for sharing your stories because knowing that so many people experience this phenomenon has eased my mind quite a lot.
Wow what a nice fealing to read that im not crazy I was 13 when it started with a cramp spasm under my left brest it started with that if fealt like my heart whas spining put of controll and it hurt like crazy now that im 36 the pain is cramping hard and the pain goes up to my neck. I have heard everything from acidreflux to im just pretending My husband called the ambulance for me once too since the pain was so bad and i was shaking al over the pain disaperd at the hospital butt still i dont know what this is =( butt atleast i know im not alone
That happens to me. Last night I had one bending over it pet my dog...It was so bad that today my chest hurts..I wish I knew why. I didn't notice it til I quit smoking and add a few pounds but I was always thin so the little bit of weight I gained was really nothing. My Dr says its ok...Someday we will find out why.
I will try to remember my calcium!!
I have similar pains and it keeps me from doing what I should do everyday sometimes I lay still or just turn and then the pain is back doc says it will go away but I can't stand the pain anymore it makes me panic because I'm scared I never had anything like this and pain meds don't work
I have been having these spasms also and was told to take some Magnesium supplements. I was also informed that we have farmed all the magnesium out of the soil for decades and the result of this inproper farming is now starting to show up in our products along with all our over processing that big business does. Muscles need magnesium for contraction and so do nerves so give it a try. It there is a shortage it can also cause irregular heart beats, which is also a muscle.
Hi, I have had this tightening of the chest under my breasts for several years. Doctors cannot pinpoint the problem.
I used ot think that my bra was too tight. I almost never wear one, only a cami, because it makes the tightening worse.
Recently, I have had charlie horses when bending over. I smoked for many years, and at first thought it was my lungs.
But hearing your comments, I think we all have the same thing.
I am a little overweight now and trying to lose the belly fat in hopes this will help.
Lying down is the best position to stop the tightening.
Hope this helps.
I continue to see doctors for help.
Connie S.
I have had the same thing for about 5 or 6 years now. If I turn the slightest the wrong way it starts in my left side and radiates under my left breast. It feels like tightening and very painful. It doesn't last long if I stretch. Have no idea what is causing it.
I have been experiencing something somewhat like what you all are explaining but there is one big difference I am not noticing anyone mentioning. I _know_ what I am having is a muscle spasm or cramp because when it happens I can actually put my hand on the knot of muscle. I put my hand there and apply pressure and try to breathe and if I can I rub at it and I can actually feel when the muscle releases. Much like a charlie horse the problem is that the pain while not as intense after it lets go lasts for a good few hours. Also if I am not careful for the next day or two I find it is easier to trigger another one. These started after I had my daughter via c-section 4 years ago. I assumed that it was due to damage to my abdominal muscles but I would think after four years I should be back closer to normal.

There are things that I know can trigger a cramp but they never caused me problems before 4 years ago.

An example is today I was bent over putting vegetables in the crisper in the fridge and has a sudden sneeze. It took me to the floor as I had a cramp.

Another trigger was I was teaching my daughter how to do somersaults and was laid up in pain for a long time after that cramp.

I also used to do yoga and there are a handful of positions now that cause cramps.

I do not know all the triggers but I am wondering if this is the same as what you all are talking about or if I need to talk to my doctor. It is so frustrating because I feel like 4 years latter I should be able to do these things and I can't. The cramp is no where close to the c-section scar it is actually right bellow my left breast along the ribs almost to the center.

I have no fear of this being heart attacks but I hate to think I must suffer with this for the rest of my life. I did mention it to a clinic doctor I was seeing for bronchitis because the coughing was causing them to happen very frequently and she just shrugged it off saying that it's normal and her daughter gets them all the time. I have a hard time believing there are tons of people living with this. I've actually had one happen while driving and it scared me very badly because I couldn't even focus on the road I was bent over in pain and all I could do was slow down and hope no one hit me.
Wow u described exactly what I go thru, I too have been going thru this for some time and no doctor seems to know what it is. I pray that someone would find out what it is.
Has anyone found out the cause for this pain? I'm 60 years old have high blood pressure and am hypothyroid, on meds for both. This pain is getting so bad I am afraid to move anymore. Just putting things away in cabinets can cause it for me.
I also get this.  I have off and on for several years.  It seems its worse the heavier I am, so I wonder if it has something to do with the stomach muscles.  It is very painful, and seems to come a different times and intervals depending on you position.  It takes at least 5 minutes to go away, and I try to stretch it out by bring arms up above my head and bending the opposite way from the side that's clenching.  I am back on my diet so hoping it will recede once I have lost a few lbs.
I cant believe the amount of people that suffer from this.  I did look up costochondritis symptoms.  It does not seem to be related.  
I have suffered with this pain for over 20 years and after having undergone a C-section. At first the extremely painful muscle spasms traveled up and down my mid-section and caused me to double up in pain. I went to a few doctors and the last one I went to said the spasms were caused by the internal scarring from the C-section : / (scars rubbing together). I would get these spasms on and off when I would stretch for something or when bending down. I also noticed these spasms would occur more often when I would gain weight. In 2009 I started having pain on my right side mid-section below my right breast. I noticed my right side protruding more than the left and my right side felt harder than my left. I went to get checked for kidney stones and I did not have any. In 2012 I asked another doctor if I might have a hernia and he said no. In the last couple of years the spasms on my right mid-section by lower rib cage have gotten more painful, the area sometimes feel hard (knots) and has swelling. The spasms are extremely painful and feel like the clenching will never end. Tonight I had a spasm after I bent down to pick up a small box and was able to calm the twitching by massaging the area. I am going to try the calcium supplement and plan to go get another ultrasound because this pain has gotten worse.
I have also suffered with this for 10 years and call it my 'flippy' thing LOL.  That's what it feels like - I just have to turn or twist a certain way, and this pain rolls in sharply under my right breast, under my ribcage, it feels like something 'catches'. Lasts probably less than a minute, I just have to sort of be still and then I feel something 'flip' or slide somewhere and I'm good to go. I had lung surgery 10 years ago and had 2/3 of my right lung removed and it never happened prior to that. The doctors I have mentioned it to, never really had a clue nor seemed concerned. I recently gained 40 pounds and it seems to be happening more frequently again.  So glad to see I'm not the only one with this mystery flippy thing.  
I have also suffered with this for 10 years and call it a 'flippy' thing (lol) like flippytummy above.  That's what it feels like - I just have to turn or twist a certain way, and the pain rolls in sharply under my right breast. Lasts probably less than a minute, I just have to sort of be still and then I feel something 'flip' or contract and I'm good to go. I had lung cancer 10 years ago and had 2/3 of my right lung removed - it never happened prior to that, however, my remaining lung has inflated and filled the space of my lung so that part shouldn't have anything to do with it. The doctors I have mentioned it to never really had a clue nor seemed concerned. It can happen every day, or I can go months or even a year without it happening.  I recently gained 40 pounds and it seems to be happening more frequently again. For clarity:  The symptoms are quick, sharp unexpected stab of pain under my right breast, behind my ribs, like something catching or pinching inside of me, followed by the sensation of something flipping or contracting and the pain is gone- never long lasting if I just stop doing what I'm doing and stay still. I wish we could figure out what it is but at least I have company!  I also put on my FB page just an fyi -- and probably a dozen people responded, mainly women, with the same issue.
I had the same thing and was given the same diagnosis.  My Dr put me on potassium for 1 month and it felt a bit better, but in the past few days or so the cramping is coming back with a vengence .  I guess I have to make another trip to my DR.  I have an ileostomy which cause me to lose much fluid for some reason and probably when this happens I lose minerals too.
I have been having these muscle cramps for the last 5 years under my breasts and also in my lower stomach.  It happens if I turn the wrong way, or even bend to pick something up. I have even gotten them in my sleep.  They hurt like crazy but quickly subside if I change position.
I also get cramps in my feet  A  LOT  and wonder if this is all connected.  I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and was better for a while when I first started medication but the spasms are back. I have also just been diagnosed with Lyme disease ( lucky me) but these spasms I believe started before the lyme.   I would love to know what is causing this and how to stop it.  
I had the same thing, the first time it happened I thought I was having a heart attack. I ask my doctor who didn't really give me a satisfactory answer. It got worse & happened more often. Then one day when I was at my chiropractors I was laying down getting work done & she asked me to sit up & of course I got the spasm. She told me it was a rib spasm & even though it was at the front she felt down my back side of my rib cage & found a tender spot which I didn't know was sore until she pressed it. She explained that the muscle between the ribs were tight & where the tender spot was she pressed her nuckle  between the ribs & keep it there to stretch the muscle. It hurt but it was instant relief, I immediately felt better, I can do it myself if it starts to feel niggly or I will get my daughter to do it, I hope this helps everyone as it made a huge difference to my life.
I have realized after reading this that not everyone is experiencing the same thing. Some are talking about chest pains with trouble breathing inside the ribcage on the left or right side. Maybe the same just higher up. I dont know. I do know I have been getting what a lot of you described. Right below or at my last rib on the left side, I feel like I have a baby pushing into my rib cage at first than it starts to feel like i have an organ or something "fell asleep" the tingling and needle like feeling you get when your leg falls asleep. Than it goes directly into feeling like it formed into a ball/rock that radiates a dull achy pain that feels like it travels to the left and straight behind into my back in the exact same position. The only form of relief is for me to get a pillow and sit where the pillow is supporting my side until it goes away. This happens randomly. Not anything to do with bending over. Maybe more often than not I am just sitting down regularly. I do not have high blood pressure. I am 40 lbs over weight which came on rapidly. I do not take medicine in any form. I have not been to a doctor due to share of cost is too high. This started about a year ago. I have no chest pains what so ever. No painful breathing or hard to breath feelings. No tenderness to touch. No seeing or feeling any knots when pressing there. I do feel like sometimes there is a kicking feeling prior to and/or right after.
I looked this up and glad to see im not the only one. I was hoping to hear of what this could be and am extremely surprised that this has not been officially diagnosed by a doctor. I did look up fibromylasia and hyprthyroid and that costochondritis...I did not see one symptom of what this was in any one of those. Although I do have other symptoms that may link me to the hypothyroid but those are so close to other types of medical diagnoses that I now know why people get misdiagnosed so often. If any one does find out please let me know. I will try the vitamin supplements some of you were talking about and see a massage therapist since no doctor can find anything wrong it more likely would be a muscle thing. Thanks.
Hi, I too have had similar symptoms to what others have described for five years. While i still don't know for sure what i have, my gp suggested it could be asthma as it will cause tightness of chest and spasms from the inflammation. Not having insurance for years i never got to a specialist, but eventually will thanks to the new healthcare plan. While i think some of you have strained muscles and costochronditis is interesting you might not want to rule out it could be your lungs. I get spasms under my right breast and sometimes just feel breathless from it. It's like a drawing pulling sensation like something is stuck in there. Even wearing bras drives me mad and i'm not big in that area. I've heard the buteyko breath excercise is good for this and i'm going to try it out soon, you might want to try it out and see if it helps you, there's one drug free therapy to try. Hope this helps. Good luck to you all.
I think your right because my mom has it and so do I my mother was in the hospital and that is what they are giving her and she said she does not get any pain any more thank you because these feelings could be very scarey and it even feels like it goes near my belly button any one elese I was being to think I have a hernia
I have had this my whole life - but get it only when I am trying to put on hose or socks or something in a tight cramped-up position. I am 60 and work out almost every day. I have never had high blood pressure. The only way I can get any relief is to stretch back and upward till it lessens but I will still feel residual soreness there for days afterwards. It is such a small area but boy does it hurt! I take ibuprofen for the muscle soreness. Until I found this forum I never knew anybody else experienced this problem!
Hi.  I am amazed to see lots of other people have this.  It does feel like something gets "caught".  I get it if I lean down sidewards or scrunch myself up sidewards - I think always on the right, but not sure.  And then, yes, there's a pain, a kind of knot feeling under my ribs (like one's gone on top of another) and then gradually, as I press on it, they "undo" again.  It's sore afterwards.  It only lasts probably 10-20 seconds, and once, it came back again about a minute later.  I find it frightening and I live in fear of making that sudden movement.  I only get it maybe once a year - for the past 10+ years.  I also had twins, and a cesarean, and now I am wondering whether I did ever get it before I had them, and I don't think so.  Would just love to know best thing to do when it happens and that it's not dangerous (if it's not!).
Wow! I am so glad I found this page, everything you say I feel but mine lasts longer and I get them way to often , 2 0r 3 times a week I hate it and I end up crying because I dont know how to prevent it, I have gone to the doctor and to be honest they never really understood what I was saying, I guess it was because I used to compare the tightening of it to a hard ball and that it dint matter wether I tried to strech it was going to deflate when it had too, I know I dont make sence but reading your post I can now explain my self better tyvm..
Hi I feel exactlt what you described and its a scary feeling, im glad I can finally put a name to it..
Thanks for the tip.  Just took  The A D K vitamin supplement ..  Don't know why I had stopped it.  Everyone thinks I am nuts when having a spasm.  
I was recently rushed to the hospital via ambulance. I thought that I was having a heart attack but after a stress test , chest x-ray and other test that was not the case. I do have high blood pressure and when my side use to hurt my husband would always tell me to drink some water . I did it would subside then one day the pain got worse and I returned to the emergency room that time they gave me torodal not sure if I spelled that correctly .  The torodal made the pain go away immediately. However, I am still in pain so thanks to the ladies that shared the helpful suggestions. I did notice when I exercise and do my sides I start to have the pain all over again. Please let me know if anybody have any more thoughts thanks
1.  Could it be we have an infections/continuous type?  Someone said people with terrible joint pain and other pains stopped after having their teeth pulled that had had root canals done.  That the dentists can't get all of the bacteria and it can re-grow and leech infection into our blood stream affecting us in many ways.
2.  Could it be all the GMO's/pesticides in our foods leeching into our bodies? They are not just in the skins anymore.  They are down into the fruit now.  I started buying organic.
3.  I notice my cramps increase after drinking a coffee.
I am 47.  I use my inhaler more often now.  (Chemtrails?) I take Nexium for Gerd about three x's a week.  I have a 2 1/2 year old and I'm about 100 lbs overweight.  Low thyroid/nodule.  My chiropractor said he thinks I broke a rib as a child.  The adjustments don't help my cramps.  I'm worried I hurt myself tossing my baby in the air to make her laugh.  So many things go through my mind on what this could be.  I'm guessing outloud here to brainstorm with you all.  My mattress is sagging in the middle lately;could that be it?  My gallbladder was removed after baby was born.  Scartissue?  She laid sideways inside of me the entire pregnancy.  She was taken by csection one month early.  I have three buldging discs c3- thru c7. (No pain with spine)  What could it be?  Has anyone tried going totally organic or getting off wheat?  Write me with specific ideas if you don't mind. :)
***@****  Thanks! Kristina
Viewing 201-282 comments: