pain/bleeding after hysterectomy
My hysterectomy 1978, salpingooopherectomy 1989. Then 8 years ago, had pain and they did explorative abdomenal surgery. A part of ovary, probably a cell or two, had been left (lots of scarring before) and had pushed out an egg and exploded (?). Then last weekend, 34 years after hyst, had excrutiating pain on left (troublesome) side and pressure like my guts would fall out. Now, dark brown discharge. Saw doc and she said come back if it does not stop now called her and am waiting to see. She said that there is just no place for the blood to be coming from, since there is no vagina. But a few pages up, someone said their bleeding was from the cuff. I will update if there are any answers. Meanwhile, we are not crazy (I am a psychotherapist so I can attest). Pain is real and the blood is not some weird diarrhea.
Hi!
It IS possible to have bleeding from the vaginal cuff after a hysterectomy. Usually there is some evidence of where it is coming from.  Certainly, if possible have the doctor examine you while you are having the discharge--since it will be easier to see the source.  If you were my patient, I would check for infection, as some types of vaginal infection can cause bleeding.  I would also question you about atrophy symptoms (is the vaginal lining very thin and sensitive?) and whether or not you had intercourse before the bleeding.  A transvaginal ultrasound might be quite helpful as it should rule in or out any kind of mass at the top of the vaginal cuff.
I have seen one case of endometriosis that caused bleeding years after a hyst. I have seen cases of fallopian tubes that were scarred at the top of the cuff and began to bleed.  I have also seen a cases of recurrent endometrial cancer, but that is almost impossible with your history.  
Finally, I would consider a colonoscopy if everything else was negative (I would test the stool right away for blood) It is possible that some kind of bowel lesion has scarred to the top of the vagina and eroded through.
Be persistent, as it can be quite difficult to locate the source of the bleeding.
Good luck!
Dr B