Alcoholic, Living with an Community
568 Members

Getting Away From The Booze

I'm a 27 year old male and I think I've been a pretty heavy drinker for the past 3 years. I would drink anywhere from half a liter of liquor or 8-12 beers a night. I've also put on about 50lbs because of this.

I haven't had a drink for 4 days and was wondering if anyone else has lived this lifestyle and how long did it take before you started feeling better, started losing weight and just saw an over all improvement in your life?

My goal is to not drink for at least 4 months. This is also my personal test of telling whether or not I'm an alcoholic. So far so good..... Mental obsession on the first day, but after that it has gotten easier and easier to find something more productive to do!
I don't know how long it will take You to feel better but there are others here who will address that issue with You.

As for going 4 months without drinking to prove to YourSelf that You are not an alcoholic -  well, I'm here to burst that bubble for You.  AnyOne who consumes a half liter of liquor or 8-12 beers a night for 3 years is addicted to alcohol.  Alcohol is an addictive substance;  an additive CHEMICAL.  If You subject Your body to ANY addictive substance (chemical) at some point Your body WILL become addicted - be it cigarettes, be it alcohol, be it meth, be it heroin, etc., etc.  You can go 4 months or 4 years or 40 years but if You drink again Your body will pick up where it left off in response to the addiction.  This I know is true.

and yes, If You continue to abstain You WILL feel better and You WILL lose weight.  Add exercise and healthy eating to assist Your body in healing itself - You will be amazed at how great You will feel.  You say each day has been better - that's Your biggest clue to success - ONE DAY AT A TIME

I Wish You The Very Best Luck
Congratulations for getting away from the booze. Not only will your body and mind feel better, you will be able to add exercise and nutrition into your lifestyle, and who knows where all these things can lead. You've not mentioned anything about your life on your profile, I can tell you , as a women, that 8-10 beers a day, is not going to land you any kind of a relationship, and I suspect this has been the case with you. There is SO much more to life, and at your age, you need to start to think about finding true happiness, not going toe to toe with booze for the rest of your life. You have chosen life, you might as well give it your all, and get busy at the gym to lose those extra pounds. You can do it now, that you're not poisoning yourself with alcohol. Good luck, and keep us in the know.
i"ve looked back over your posts, from 2008 on. You've quit drinking/ and prescription drugs before, as you had consequences to your drinking back in 2008. Have  you had any clean time before, or did you go from prescription drugs to alcohol,and are only now wanting to get away from the booze? It sounds like you need a program to help you stay clean and sober. Once you've figured it out , that you are an "addict" , that you become addiction to anything addicting, you can start to build a life without addictive substances, and once you've done that the life you build with be something that you'll be proud of. and most importantly will include other people. A pretty important part of life.
it is how you use alcohol (how your brain perceives alcohol)  that determines if you are an alcoholic NOT the length of time you have been drinking.
it would be advisable to stop now forever and not just 4 months.  you are lucky to have figured it out now and not 20 yrs later.  
4 months from now your brain and body will react to a single drink the same as it did when you last put it down.  it is too late to be a 'social drinker' as you have crossed the line into addiction.
believe it or not, you can live a full and happy life without alcohol.  jump into physical fitness instead.

read the story of tim mcgraw in this month's men's health magazine or google it.  great example of how to change your life and live without alcohol.  

also, read through the alcoholism section of this site and you will thank your lucky stars you are not that far.

good luck  p.s.  alcohol ages you dramatically.  almost the same as before and after shots of meth addicts.
oh, sorry forgot to address your actual question.  it took me over a year to feel like i did before drinking and to lose the belly.  i am naturally thin so i only gained weight there.  that came off before a year, but the severe fatigue and general feeling like cr@p lasted longer