Anxiety Community
23k Members

Effexor & Panic Disorder

I heard Effexor was good for panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder.  Does anybody know if it is any better than any other antidepressant?
I will soon find out, I just had a visit with my Dr. because I was taking Xanax about .5mg to 1mg a day to help with my GAD and he informed me that in order for me to get off Xanax i now have to take Effexor for a month.  According to him, Effexor is non-habitual and non-narcotic, and with time your body will not need it or crave it like it would with Xanax or Zoloft.  I will keep you up to date as how it has helped  me, if  you have satrted this medication and can share your inputs it would be greatly appreciated.
I hope your doctors being upfront with you. I went to look up Effexor on google because it doesnt seem logical that any med could 'non-habitually' replace a medicine that is so habit forming as xanax... and this is what came up

http://www.petitiononline.com/effexor/

Effexor - Alert from the F.D.A.

FDA ALERT [07/2005]: Suicidal Thoughts or Actions in Children and Adults
Patients with depression or other mental illnesses often think about or attempt suicide. Closely watch anyone taking antidepressants, especially early in treatment or when the dose is changed. Patients who become irritable or anxious, or have new or increased thoughts of suicide or other changes in mood or behavior (or their care givers) should contact their healthcare professional right away.

Children

Taking antidepressants may increase suicidal thoughts and actions in about 1 out of 50 people 18 years or younger.  FDA has approved Zoloft for use in children only if they have obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Adults

Several recent scientific publications report the possibility of an increased risk for suicidal behavior in adults who are being treated with antidepressant medications. Even before these reports became available, FDA began a complete review of all available data to determine whether there is an increased risk of suicidal thinking or behavior in adults being treated with antidepressant medications. It is expected that this review will take a year or longer to complete. In the meantime, FDA is highlighting that adults being treated with antidepressant medication, particularly those being treated for depression, should be watched closely for worsening of depression and for increased suicidal thinking or behavior.  

This information reflects FDA’s preliminary analysis of data concerning this drug. FDA is considering, but has not reached a final conclusion about, this information. FDA intends to update this sheet when additional information or analyses become available.

EffexorIf you are suffering from Effexor side effects or Effexor withdrawal side effects, there is an answer and a solution.

The common Effexor side effects of anxiety, insomnia, fatigue, weight gain, or unwanted head feelings can usually be handled quickly.

Whether you want to taper completely off Effexor or just eliminate the existing side effects caused by the Effexor, there is an answer and a solution.

Click here and you will be directed to The Road Back, which offers all of the information for free on their Web Site.
http://www.prozactruth.com/effexor.htm

*Wishing you health*
sorry, thats not to frighten anyone,,, just be aware (mabey keep a daily journal for appts with your doctor, or before beginning a new medication like this, be certain your signifcant other or somone in the household to make you aware if you begin acting different than is normal for you.

*bows respectfully*
I believe all SSRI antidepressants come with a warning about suicidal thoughts in the beginning of treatment.  Some antidepressants are harder than others to discontinue.  I have discontinued paxil in the past with no problem while I've heard others have had problems discontinuing it.  I had heard Effexor was good for panic disorder and asked my doctor. He said the problem with it is it is one of the worst ADs to come off and on.  Therefore, I decided to go against using the Effexor.  I would still like to hear if others had a reduction in panic attacks while taking it though.  It might be worth it having a little difficulty coming off and on as long as it's not like coming off of xanex.
Agreed, most do, I only mention it because while it may not be labeled as 'habit forming' or "addictive".... those labels are only by defination. If you cant stop taking something due to physical withdrawl side effects,,, shrugs.

Your probably not interested, but here is anouther link where many of these medications are listed along with information about whats come up in the media/press about them in the last few years. ... http://www.prozactruth.com/effexor.htm
Great ! Make anybody feel so much more relaxed about taken their new forms of medication.