Scared to sleep
Why am I so scared to sleep? its like everytime i start to get tired I get scared to sleep...I think Im going to die in my sleep.  HELP.
i am 22 and i have always been afraid to sleep or even be in a house on my own. when i am on my own i have heart palps and breath very fast.  i can see people in my minds eye like when i close my eyes i can see people in my room/house but obiously when i open them there is nothing there. a feel like i will always be afraid no matter what.
Hello, Anxiety and panic can cause all kinds of symptoms and sensations! You are not alone! But it is always best to rule out anything else so seeing your doctor should be the first thing!

I get chest pains and all kinds of symptoms and sensations all the time with anxiety and panic attacks and have been to the ER many times over the years. And I have had many test done, but even after all that I still feel like there is something wrong with my heart even though all the test show otherwise! This anxiety and panic is awful, it plays all kinds of tricks on our minds! Night time and in the early hours of the morning are worse for me! I will start to fall asleep and then jolt awake with my heart pounding feeling like I am dying!

I use relaxation CDs, breathing exercises, sipping on ice cold water, reminding myself that it is only anxiety and that it will pass and that it has never harmed me and will not harm me now! I will take Klonopin which really helps, and Toprol which is a beta-blocker to keep my pulse and blood pressure under control. I also take Reglan for my heartburn problems which has been then only thing that has ever really helped that.  I also just started using the iPhone apps: Anxiety Connect, Depression Connect, Panic Talk Down, Panic Attack Aid., Panic Control and Panic Eliminator, Making and listening to my own panic attack talk down recordings on my Iphone and listening to them when I am having a panic attack. I also find that listening to music, playing games, or listening to a guided relaxation on my Iphone or Ipod a helpful distraction.

Getting up and moving around also helps, sometimes just calling someone and hearing another person's voice, if you have no one to call try calling a prayer line or help line (You can program these numbers into your cell phone),

It also helps to get on this support board and talk to others who understand what you are going through! I think it helps to read positive uplifting books, and to listen to music. Prayer is something else that can be helpful!  I also take a multi-vitamin along with extra vitamin B, fish oil, vitamin D, Magnesium, calcium, C, and E.  Exercise always makes me feel better!  Watching something funny on TV or a DVD, or watching a funny Youtube video is also helpful!

I have also read that Chamomile tea and bananas were helpful for anxiety and panic. I also try to stay away from triggers like stress, certain foods, drinks, coffee, chemicals, and smoke that I am sensitive to. I keep a journal of when I am stressed and what I eat and drink, so I can look back later for any connection with my panic attacks and anxiety, because I sometimes have a delayed reaction. Eating healthy and getting enough sleep also helps!

I noticed that when I am not taking vitamins I have a lot more anxiety, my guess is that I am low on some vitamins and minerals and this set off anxiety symptoms.

I am sensitive to orange juice, cranberry juice, certain berries, coffee, pizza, and others that I can't think of right now. These will set off symptoms in me sometimes right away, and sometimes hours later (delayed reaction). I also cannot take any cold medicines as they cause me to have anxiety and panic attacks. A lot of cleaning products like bleach and Lysol spray will cause me to have anxiety. Stress is another big factor in my panic attacks and anxiety.

I suggest keeping a journal of everything from, foods, drinks, chemical exposure, medicines, stressful situations, and even the weather, as any of these could be triggers. I use a large 3 ring binder filled with paper as a journal.

Belly Breathing Exercise
1. Place one hand just above your belt line, and the other on your chest, right over the breastbone. You can use your hands as a simple biofeedback device. Your hands will tell you what part of your body, and what muscles, you are using to breathe.

2. Open your mouth and gently sigh, as if someone had just told you something really annoying. As you do, let your shoulders and the muscles of your upper body relax, down, with the exhale. The point of the sigh is not to completely empty your lungs. It's just to relax the muscles of your upper body.

3. Close your mouth and pause for a few seconds.

4. Keep your mouth closed and inhale slowly through your nose by pushing your stomach out. The movement of your stomach precedes the inhalation by just the tiniest fraction of a second, because it's this motion which is pulling the air in. When you've inhaled as much air as you can comfortably (without throwing your upper body into it), just stop. You're finished with that inhale.

5. Pause. How long? You decide. I'm not going to give you a specific count, because everybody counts at a different rate, and everybody has different size lungs. Pause briefly for whatever time feels comfortable. However, be aware that when you breathe this way, you are taking larger breaths than you're used to. For this reason, it's necessary to breathe more slowly than you're used to. If you breathe at the same rate you use with your small, shallow breaths, you will probably feel a little lightheaded from over breathing, and it might make you yawn. Neither is harmful. They're just signals to slow down. Follow them!

6. Open your mouth. Exhale through your mouth by pulling your belly in.

7. Pause.

8. Continue with Steps 4-7

I been reading the original version of "The Feeling Good Handbook" by David Burns, it is the 1989/1990 version, and I am finding the advice in this book helpful! I heard that the newer version it not the same. Other books I find helpful are "The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook: A Step-by-Step Program for Curing Yourself of Extreme Anxiety, Panic Attacks, and Phobias", "Panic Attacks Workbook: A Guided Program for Beating the Panic Trick",  "Health Journeys Guided Meditations For Help With Panic Attacks", and
"Managing Stress: Principles and Strategies for Health and Well-Being (Web Enhanced with CD-ROM)" I also just recently got “The Linden Method” I have already found some helpful advice in the manual that goes with the program, and the “Panic Attack Eliminator CD” that comes with the program seems helpful. And I just ordered a used copy of the “Attacking Anxiety Program” from Ebay. I figure if I get any help or relief from any of these it will be worth it! Another small program I found helpful is “Stop Anxiety Now” by Eve A. Wood, M.D.

I hope that you feel better soon! Please keep us posted!
I have the same problems they said I suffer from panic attacks and depression but I have 98.% of my attacks within the first two hours of my sleep and since the first one I haven't felt normal I feel like I'm in a daze all day everyday I'm on Lexapro and Xanax and the Xanax helps me sleep but only for a few hours..... I'm just so confused feel like I'm losing my mind.... Help????
i frequently wake up out of a dead sleep with anxiety attacks it scares me to death,hi my name is kelly and i suffer from chronic anxiety attacks,sometimes i wake up out of a deep sleep with it,feeling like a rush from my head to my toes.my  heart starts palpitating,thats the part i cant deal with,i cant sit still, relax etc,the fear is beyond my control,it make me feel like im not human and it takes over my life,i do take meds for it klonopin2x a day and adivan only for when i have an attack plus i take vistril and and anti depressant and methadon for i am in recovery and been sober for 9 months now,every day i cry all i want to do is feel normal again,i am petrified of going to sleep in fear of course waking up with them,i feel like ive exhausted my resources ive reached out for help gone to hospitals,disccuss the issue with health professionals.etcetc, for i have no health insurance .i am so afraid that i will never recover from this i cannot live like this for the rest of my life i will go crazy,i have lots of people that say call them in the middle of the night when i have them. but they dont answer then i have noone to talk to,and i dont like waking up mu b/f cause he has to work and he worries toim at the end of my rope i would stand on my head if it would work,please id greatly appreciate some feedback thank you kindly kelly
I get scared of sleepin n am overtaken wif d thots of fear of dyin,at times imagine my hear is no longer brearhin n ma body is leavin ma body,pls wat can I doimagine my  Imagine maim
I know exactly how you feel, my anxiety started a year on New Years this year. I've been miserable ever since. I started seeing a Life and Body Coach about 2 months ago she has been a great help. I still get anxiety but not nearly as bad. As soon as I would lay down my heart would start pounding, I too am afraid of dying in my sleep. I have two daughters and I am terrified to leave them with out a mother at a young age. I've been to the dr. several times, I've been on halter monitors, a monitor for my oxygen and my heart at night, I've had several tests done. I get palpitations and I have experienced the feeling of my heart stopping and skipping beats. (very scary). I am not able to take naps, because I have weird dreams and I get crazy feelings and my heart beats fast. I refuse to take my medications for the fear of getting addicted, I do take a half of a 1mg ativan only if I really need it. I am scared because the New Year is almost here and I don't want this to happen to me again!!
i had the exact same problem as all of you and even worse, get panic away and all of you will be cured i go to bed everynight with a smile on my face

panicaway.com
go to panicaway.com and do the mini  its free and if you like it get the ebook its about $60 with other great material it seems alot but its the best investment you will ever make its not just coping with your anxiety and panic but feeling confident and takes the fear of having a panic attack away trust me
iv had so many different experiences and iv only just turned 18! only a few times have i hillucinated (seeing something as though its forceing me to sleep). also sometimes as im falling asleep it feels like something/someone is crushing me!  other times as though my breath is being taken away from me constantly until i wake up and fall asleep again. Its like i have to wake myself up every time this happens but it works (waking myself up that is..) i mean its just happend now! i was asleep for about an hour and a half max.. and i could feel my heart beat going to fast and felt like someone was tossing and turning me in my bed like i had been drugged and unable to move this experience is so creepy. i havent been doctors but i will go soon before it gets worse but this has been happening for the past year and a half, i dont know if anyone has shared the same experience (i hope not) because it is the most horrible thing and i wouldnt even wish it upon my enemy! as im not not going to be able to sleep for 3/4 hours until it gets to 6/7 am x
Peaches I have the same problem I was doing the remron for a while but it didn't really work for me.....my episodes usualli last about a week or two! It is very embaressing. I feel like I'm dying I want to rip my skin out. I open the window fo freshair I go back and forth out side 2 get fresh air......I cry because I'm so sleepy...I thougt I was going crazy no I feel better knowng I'm not alone
please every night i cry help im only 10
I gues its just a fear.I have anxiaty I been sleeping ok but any little fear can trigger an anxiaty attack I been thinking a lot n I feel that I have mental issues idk maybe I do maybe I don't but wat I do to help me sleep is think of a project that u wana do or a goal u wana accomplish like any possitive thing I still think I have mental issues but don't let it get to u just live life we will all b okay :D we might have good days n bad days just stay possitive control ur anxiaty n u brain ull b fine
Hi I'm not sure what's the matter with me. day in, day out I'm shatterd from not sleeping in the night. I get really tired but everytime I nod off I shoot up in a panic I'm terrified I'm going to die in my sleep :/ I'm only 18 and I'm only getting 2 hours sleep a night at the most. I have tried everything! Reading, listening to music, a shot of alchol, a hot bath and hot drink but nothing at all is working for me and I'm so restless:(  what can I do to stop this? Thanks
Laura
X
Am afraid evryday like am gonna die,evri movt in ma body makes me weak,tired,worthless,sumtimes I feel my body is leavin ma body,I av headches,pains all over ma body,twitches,lighthead,sumtimes,I feel am not in control of ma body,even wen I converse very well,am lost in thots,I dnt wanna be like ds forever,pls I nid help
Wat does d adrenaline rush feels like,anybody info on dat pls
I feel like a baby, im afraid to close my eyes and when i do i get i fit of shakes and a rapid heart beat- i think im going to drive my pareents over the age and Im not allowed to take sleeping pills because im depressed and my parents are afraid of me going suicidal; help!
Ps: you have completely described me!
The other nite i was out with some friends and has a few drinks. When i went to bed i slept for about 1hrs and then woke up really suddenly not being able to breath and i thought my heart had stopped. I get this pretty regularly and its frightening me as i think that if i try to go back to sleep that i won't wake up the next morning. I get the odd pain in my chest, sweat alot and feel like i cannot breath - can anyone offer me any suggestions as to what is causing this.

Stressful

I am an alcoholic as well. Makes me wonder if that is the problem. I used to drink to fall asleep as well. I did not like the person it was turning into...more importantly I was hurting the ones I love. I almost lost my husband. I don't always have these troubles sleeping. I don't handle stress well. I take ativan as well. I can't take the p.m. medicines, my body reacts completely opposite.
im under stresss and ihave anxiety too it sux idont know how too relax ... js seems like im scared too go to sleep too
Ok be sure to have Aspirin,fish oil pills and Apple cider vinegar liquid or pills on hand.When you start feeling like this take the pills or vitamins.The aspirin will thin your blood(which makes it easier for your heart to pump the blood),the apple cider vinegar will give your heart potassium and the fish oil is good for the lining of your heart.
When you go through out your day do not eat any fried or oily foods...I have turned so many friends on to these remedies...they do work...good luck.
You will never die when you think you are going to die,now that is the truth.
Omg that's whats exactly happening to me rite now I would fight my sleep till 6 or 5 n the morning then go to sleep normal my mom told me it was axiety and I was having maniac attacks...
Well, I had this About getting scared of dying When falling asleep, My way to get rid of it was to Watch Videos about Heaven And Learn about How it is, It will kind of actually make you want to die, And You will get over the fact and go to bed ;) God bless you all!
I have a drinking problem so it's hard for me to fall asleep unless I have a lot to drink and don't remember falling asleep. I know this all contributes to my anxiety, but I can't stop cause it makes me feel normal when I drink.  I feel better after reading this, but it could have also been the throwing up I just did because of my anxiety.  I sleep on my side because I don't want to throw up while I sleep.  My suggestion is to not use alcohol, and to get some exercise to wear ya out a little bit so you want to go to bed.
I have chronic insomnia due to childhood issues of not feeling safe. Also as an adult more often than not neighbors are usually very obnoxious and noisy these days in the United States. It seems that everyone hates to sleep and are wound up on energy drinks, coffee, or snorting their friends prescriptions such as Adderall or Ritalin. Not to mention crazy new drugs such as 'Bath Salts' (not to be mistaken for the stuff you actually put in your tube). Drugs like Bath Salts can keep people up for days with no sleep and act crazy. The sad truth is more Americans statistically suffer from Insomnia or even more frequent restless nights than 30 years ago. Trust has a lot to do with it. Crime rates have skyrocketed over the last 10 years where before it was actually dropping. People simply do not feel safe to sleep. We are in a constant state of Fright & Flight... but where do we go when we are economically trapped? Also work and school seems to be more stressful than ever. I'm not saying we are totally screwed. There are things you can do. For example instead of seeing your garden variety Social Worker or Counselor that is only going to throw pop psychology and self help books at you, try this instead: Find a well trained Psychologist with a background and training in CBT Cognitive Behavior Therapies as well as DBT. Also a Hypnotherapist, not just a regular hypnotist but a trained Hypnotherapist... its all about re-learning how to relax and sleep. You'd think your body knows biologically how to sleep but there is both Nature and Nurture when it comes to sleep. Better still find an actual Psychotherapist they are even more trained and have extensive backgrounds in such matters. No offense to your 3 year degree Social Worker types but they are usually trained to seek simple patters that often times aren't really there in real life (sort of a quick fix approach). They also have far less if any real training in CBT, DBT, and other important psychological treatments. It takes more than a printed off sheet of paper with instructions to do these therapies properly. Sadly in 2012 a lot of clinics and hospitals don't want to pay the high salaries of real trained professionals and hire a ton of social workers and poorly trained counselors (who by the way don't actually counsel you most the time due to threats of being sued for bad advice). These people often only offer a shoulder to cry on but nothing more. Also in counseling this a social worker you open up old sores that bleed with you even after you leave their office but aren't really addressing of fixing your issues. Only a real trained professional Psychotherapist, Psychologist, Hypnotherapist can do that.  Also you will also need to see an actual MD that can prescribe medications to help you sleep. Possibly even Anti-Psychotics. Now don't get me wrong hearing the word psychotic can be scary because there is such a taboo about it. But most insomniacs have psychosis at night when trying to sleep. The anxiety and fear keeps them from sleeping. In our every day lives at work, school, or social lives there are millions of Americans on and off such anti psychotics to help them sleep and they seem like perfectly normal people. That's because they are. It's just that trust issues, depression, anxiety, etc can seriously affect sleep. Also there are some people at work that never complain at work, they seem to be someone who lets stuff bounce off him or her, however instead of it bouncing off what they are really doing is letting it absorb into them. Then at night they toss and turn over daily turmoil. The same for students as well. Eventually people can break down and start nagging at work, or complaining inappropriately, or falling for baiting comments from people looking for a fight. My point is: That real therapy and training can not only help you sleep better but it can help you cope with the key issues of your sleeplessness. Such as dealing with people at work or school. Also lets not forget there are people that have no problems with emotional problems due to a bad childhood or abusive coworkers or neighbors. There are some people that have chemical imbalances such as ADHD, which often leads to the person having a hard time falling asleep, a hard time staying a sleep, and often wakes up too early. ADHD can be easily treated with medications (so long as you don't sell your meds as speed to other people). You see people with ADHD need that extra stimulation in the mornings from meds such as Adderall. It increases energy and focus, by the time evening rolls around this med is wearing off and they (for some reason) are able to sleep better at night. Sadly though too many people without ADHD are snorting adderall at night as a party pill. Bottom line for my long winded post is seek professional help with a trained Psychotherapist or at least a well trained Psychologist.
I have this problem.. Every single night I try so hard to go to sleep and my mom will offer me sleeping medicine like melatonin or NyQuil or Zzzquil to help cuz I get mad I just want to go to sleep so I can wake up on time and get through the next day but as soon as I begin dozing off I either have a nightmare or one of those things where I startle myself awake thinking I wasn't breathing but my mom tells me I was the whole time, so I'll take medicine but I start panicking thinking I overdosed and that my hearts beatin too fast and that I can't breathe so then I fight the medicine an it's just horrible I get mad and depressed and cOnvince myself im psychotic it's HORRIBLE.. Why am I like this?? I'm sixteen and it's like I am terrified of sleeping and everything I think that EVERYTHING is going to cause my death but I know these are simply irrational fears..
Hi I suffer form that to am scared every day and mins that iam going to die am just so affred about iy been like this for 4years now but the last week has been scary as I have a relly sore head as if some one it pushing it douwn and pain behind my eye and am walking about tired and weak fell as if that's it am just going to die right now so scary and am like watt if there's something roung in my head like a brain tumour n other stuff relly scared don't like going to docs beacuse a fell as if thay don't help thay always say its your enxity but thay don't no that if evny one has this our exps the same can u plz help me out thanks as I am a mum 2 a we girl age 4
i been having anxiety for the pass yr and im getting so tired of it,its one of my biggest issues in life,i hardly get some sleep,my heart beats very fast and loud and it gets me scared thinking that my heart will just stop or i will go crazy,and what's even worst is hard for me to excersise,take simple pills or have a drink once in a while :(i can't stand living like this,like im going to die any time soon please give me advice, thanks
I was lucky enough to only suffer from panic attacks for a short period of time before God led me to a site called PanicAway! This is a legit sight that got rid of my anxiety and fear WITHOUT MEDICATION OR MONEY SPENT! All I had to do was subscribe to the email newsletters and I got a new email everyday that wored miracles! I recommend it to anyone and everyone who suffers from general anxiety, panic attacks, phobias, etc. Barry McDonaugh (last name might be spelled incorrectly) is the name of the guy who runs this workshop and I guarantee the emails will make you feel TONS better!!!
Good luck and God bless!
hie......my friend i understand what you goin thru and iam goin thru that also,but guess im beginning to that this i occuring more frequent than ever and the reason is jus that our still hold the fear....And when our mind is in fear it keeps us very alert that you feel not normal or everything is going against you.You need to relax and find ways to deal with your worries.They will stop,you should have died along bak so just like me when it happens relax..................and deal witheveryday problems
Hi All. I was surprised to see so many people suffered this problem, & wanted to tell you all that you can cure it, & without medication. Please read carefully below, act on each point, & I promise you you'll get a good night sleep & get rid of these irrational fears once & for all:

Facts:

Fear of Sleeping/Dying/Panic all are to do with Anxiety, Irrational Thoughts in the Mind & Lifestyle.

Causes & How to Cure them:

1) Irrational Thoughts: Train your mind, do not let it control you, you control it, you control your body. Remember that. The problem is as soon as you start to "think" as your about to go to sleep, or when you wake up suddenly in the middle of the night, that is when it goes downhill. Stop yourself straight away from "over imagination & thinking silly thoughts". When you feel like your going through that dreaded trend of fear building up in you, quickly take control! Occupy your mind for not more than a few minutes & you'll find the irrational thoughts & anxiety/panic feeling will disappear 100%. You can use a variety of techniques to help give yourself control over your body & mind within minutes. Get up, go take a few minutes walk, think about the next day & what things you might get up to. Go brush your teeth, have a wash, perhaps a shower. Go have a conversation with a loved one for a few minutes about any other topic you wish. Any few minute distraction is all you need to take control & stop any anxiety or build up of fear or irrational feelings. Repeat a religious prayer in your head 100 times, or perhaps sing your favourite song in your mind a few times. Talk to yourself, ask yourself how your feeling? Everything okay? Whichever way you approach it you'll feel amazing literally after 1 or 2 minutes, & will be in total control of your mind, breathing, body, & sleep. You will be in a happy & controlled state. & at that moment feel free to continue your "wind down routine" for the evening/night & get some well deserved sleep/rest, without any disruption. Smile knowing your in charge.

2) No Control or Routine in your life. You must ensure your day is a well structured fruitful day. Try to wake up at the same time, & go to sleep at the same time. Do not disturb your daily pattern, allow your body to get into a comfortable routine in "life". Ensure you have a fulfilling day, set some simple targets, make sure you achieve them or at least attempt to. Have no regrets for each day, feel positive.

3) Unhealthy Diet: It is very important that you have a healthy diet on a daily basis. Eat your 3 square meals a day, plenty of fruit & vegetables, plenty of water. Cut out the fast foods & unhealthy snacks. Losing control over your body, your weight, being overweight are key factors in why you "start" on that road to Anxiety/Panic/Sleep Fear. Control your diet.

4) Overweight/Lack of Fitness: If your lazy / overweight, this will also affect your sleep. It is part of losing control over your mind & body. To stay in control you must ensure you stay fit, healthy, & lead an active lifestyle. Exercise, join the gym. Take up a sport as a hobby with friends. Join a new activity club. Take up dance lessons. The more active you are, the more you'll control your fears & anxieties. The more empowered you become.

5) Loneliness: Make new friends, start dating, build a relationship with a girlfriend/boyfriend/husb&/wife. This will help a lot with those who wake up & feel panic/fear of dying, or short of breathe. It is directly related to loneliness & the thought that no one is near you, the atmosphere is silent, there is no life around you, & therefore it manifests irrationally into your mind.

6) Bedroom Ambience: Keep your bedroom uncluttered. This is your place to relax/sleep. It should feel spacious. Ensure there is a small amount of light perhaps at the corner of the room, or perhaps leave your door open just a crack. Let yourself relax knowing their is an option to get up & walk out & get some fresh air & light, to know your not stuck. Ensure your bed isn't directly near a radiator, nothing more irritating or frustrating than waking up to extreme heat/sweatyness. Room temperature needs to be at a level that helps you relax, so ensure your not over cooking yourself.  Ensure your window is near your bed, or at least in your eye view, so you feel open & spacious, refreshed, knowing the big wide world is out there & life is going on while you sleep, & it will be there again when you wake up in the morning. Everything will be fine. Remember that.

7) Dinner/Last meal of the Day: Have a cut off time. Don't eat late. This makes you feel full/bloated/short of breathe, not to mention your stomach & internal organs are busy breaking this food down that you just ate. So why would you put your body through that when it wants to sleep & relax? Be fair on your body. Your last meal of the day should be around 2/3 hours prior to when you want to sleep.

8) Dozing Off/Bad Sleeping Habits: If you follow all the rules above, you won't feel the need to read a book or watch television or listen to music to help you sleep, because your day will be fulfilled & satisfying, everything in your life is in order & you'll automatically get a great nights sleep & looking forward to closing your eyes & enjoying dreaml& with fresh fun filled relaxing dreams. Don't watch television or play games or snack whilst trying to sleep, have a clear cut off point & go to bed with the intention to sleep. The problem with watching television or other past times whilst trying to sleep is at some point inevitably you'll doze off.. & the problem is you never gave your body a fair chance/warning to indicate that you are going to sleep, so shut down & relax. Therefore when you wake up, the Television is still on, your confused & thinking what happened!? Where am I? What was I doing? & that's when silly irrational thoughts start entering your mind to ruin your sleep & build up anxiety & panic. That then leads on to thoughts of breathing - did I stop breathing? is my breathing slow? Am I going to die? It is a vicious cycle, & the funny thing is.. its all in your head. So don't punish yourself like that, have a positive great day, do all of the above, & when its time to sleep, stick to your "wind down go to sleep" mode routine, no distractions, & you'll find you'll go to sleep & have a great restful night. So always follow your "go to sleep" routine the same way every day, so you give your body & mind a fair chance to underst& that you intend to sleep so don't be "surprised" if you wake up in the middle of the night, because you've already programmed your brain to be ready for it. Whereas if you dozed off, you'll always wake up confused & start off the irrational trend of thought again.

9) Religion/Morals: This does help. If your a good person, & do good things in a day, & have good morals, then remember God is on your side. He will always be with you, & regardless of the crazy things that go on in this world & bad things that happen, one thing is for sure God will protect you while you sleep especially if you've got a good soul, a good heart, & morally on point every day. So leave yourself in his capable h&s & go to sleep smiling every night knowing nothing is more powerful than what created everything in the first place. Your in safe h&s.

If you follow the above steps, & act on all of them I promise you that your fears, anxiety, irrational thoughts, breathing, sleep issues will all be resolved. You will become the master of your own body, you will look forward to sleeping & looking forward to the next day, your life with have a positive edge to it & you'll be a more happier person for it.

I hope this has helped you all, & hope it helps change your life for the better. It makes me happy knowing I could share my findings & help people to overcome this pesky problem once & for all. :)

K Ahmed
Written on 24/01/2013
***@****
I've been dealing with this since i got a form of staph infection that was resistant to antibiotics. They prescribed me an antibiotic that has some nasty side effects, such as heart palpitations, weakening of tendons/ligaments and extreme paranoia. I'd been taking it for several days and i started to doze off and go to sleep. I woke up suddenly and i felt my heart twisting in my rib cage and my body went limp. i tried to lift my arm and beat on the wall and call for my mom in the next room. i couldn't speak and i couldn't move. my vision went black and i saw a red light  and i started panicking. within a split second i felt a ticklish feeling in my brain followed by this sequence of events:
i prayed to God not to take me and i felt the hand of God reach down into my chest and squeeeze my heart and jolt me back to life. The scariest 30 seconds of my life. that was about 6 months ago. Ain't slept much since.
Your advise is spot on, but my brain will only flutter in and out now. I drink too much as i self medicate, I miss myself.... It has gotten worse over the last month I wish for another baby (i have been trying for 3 years) and because i have had a bad reaction to drugs, I am trying hypnosis in four days time. I would not wish panic or anxiety on anyone and wish people understood what it feels like......I'm from New Zealand and am open to chatting, it's hard to be alone..Suffering for nine years but can no longer visit my Mum 10 kms away (sorry I have no idea how many miles that is) :)
I have been fighting this fear (hypnophobia or somniphobia) for 10 years. It is an awful condition!

Unlike many of you, I know why I am afraid. I was sexually abused for many years as a child. Then, many years later my son became violent. I had to live in fear for my life every night for 3-4 years before intensive therapy for my son finally helped. I slept with a cell phone, a wired phone and a weapon. I did not sleep during times when he was home.

Recently my husband and I moved several states away from our old town and our son because of a job transfer. I hoped this would help me with my sleep issues. It hasn't.

I am not just afraid to sleep, I am afraid to do anything that would put me to sleep. I have been in couseling and I have meds for my PTSD which also make me fall asleep. I am finding it early impossible to take them. I am so afraid of sleep that I am afraid to do anything tht could make me sleep! I never "try" to go to sleep.

I'm miserable...
Wow ! I get the same ! Your post was old (2008) but I had to try and reply. I'm 37 and at the end of my rope with this. Just as I drift off to sleep I wake up just on time not to go unconscious  like total heart slow down and I'm being defibrillated to come back to life. Jumps me out of my skin. Happens lots for past year, sometimes up to 5 or 6 times a night or nap or when I try falling back asleep in morning. I had 5 ECG a stress test and 2 24hr monitors. ????? I guess it's anxiety ? Write me anyone who knows more please please
Thank God! Sorry you are having problems sleeping but I just had my 2nd HA and it ***** that I can't go to sleep without worring about it! The only reason I knen I was haivng a Heart Attack is that i fel tsick to my stomach and my arms hurt from the elbows down. Will I feel this if I am aleeping?
Thank God! Sorry you are having problems sleeping but I just had my 2nd HA and it ***** that I can't go to sleep without worrying about it! The only reason I knew I was having a Heart Attack is that i felt sick to my stomach and my arms hurt from the elbows down. Will I feel this if I am sleeping?
i m shilpa.....7 years gone...i die everyday ....i think that i am not going to wake up if i will sleep....i dont study because  i get scared that next day i wont be aable to wake up to give exam or to complete my study or to take care of my parents ....i get scared when i like someone because i think that i wont be able to be with him forever because of this fear....i gone to a pandit ...kinda...he told me that some one has done black magic on me.....help me ......i suffered 7 years....cried day and night....hellllllppppppppppppppppppp...what to do........help me ....whatever i suffered i dont wish others to suffer the same.......am i getting mad or what ??    told to one friend and he laughed...told to my cousin sis and she thought that i am talking silly...and then smiled....she tried to expalin with 2 lines and then left me with my disease...whom to say....want a cure now...day and night became hell
I can't stop thinking about death. I've had many sleepless night and I did the stupidest thing by looking up insomnia and trouble sleeping. I'm diagnoses with Panic Disorder, but cant afford a doctor because I live in NYC with no health insurance. I read something about dying from sleep deprivation and it kept me awake (only sleeping 3 to 4 hours a night) for days on end. I also thought I had Fatal Familia Insomnia after reading about it. It was the worse fear I've ever experienced. I'm still dealing with this and I'm still afraid to fall asleep. I just want to cry, but my emotions are so messed up I can;t even do that. I just wish there was some way to not die so that we all wouldn't have to worry about it....I know that sounds silly and kuumbaiya like, but it's true. I also have very bad distorted views on reality. I freak out about being a human being.  At times I look at my hands and start to not feel like a real person. I've even become obsessed with wondering if there is an afterlife. God I hope so, because the thought of my vision blacking out or whiting out and then nothing after terrifies me. I wish we could know what comes after. I really do. I want to stop worry about this...maybe its because I'm getting closer to 30 and I feel like I've lost my youth. I live in the past sometimes and wish I could have done more in my 20's to be successful. i feel like I'm not were I'm supposed to be. I think to myself that I maybe have a good 40 years or so left and then nothing....absolutely nothing....
I've been under so much stress that my brain won't stop. Tonight was the first time I felt like I was going to die and not wake up. I started thinking about my daughter and how I couldn't leave her. It got me into a panic and I eventually threw up. My head feels disconnected and I'm so afraid of passing out and not waking up.
Hi I'm 15 and I am an extremely anxious person and a couple months ago I got very anxious from a drug and alchohol experience at my highschool and it was the first time I had severe panic attacks one night when I was trying to fall asleep. I also had them during the day in uncomfortable situations. I've been suffering from panic attacks and anxiety for about 6 months now and it really really *****, but all I can say is I've learned it's all in my head. Your brain can really pull tricks on you its amazing, but when I forced myself to be possitive and to not worry, I didn't have a single panic attack, I was happy as can be, and good things kept happening to me. I felt that when I let myself think negatively, I would have panic attacks frequently, and trick myself into I was dying or losing my mind. Like last night I was falling asleep, and just as I felt my mind drifting off to sleep, I jolted up, my heart racing, I was sweating, and I was having a panic attack. I thought I was dead and it was the scariest thing ever. Now I am terrified to go to sleep. But I am SOO happy that there are so many people on here that feel the same way, it has helped me so much. I suggest Natrol Anxiety and Stress pills, they are natural herbal tablets from whole foods (Naturals always best to try first) and there are day and night pills. They do help a bit, and also drinking tea and maybe falling asleep with music in headphones will help.
Thanks again everyone! So happy- thought I was dead!! hhaha
You sound a lot like me. I am afraid of the medications so I suffer even worse. If I have to take a medicine if I am sick, I will go to the ER and sit in there and take it and wait an hr or until I am sure I am not going to die from it. It is pathetic. I have bad PAC's like 6,000 they recorded in 24 hrs, they say they are normal, they don't feel normal, I notice them most at night, they seem more strong, and I am afraid to sleep, sometimes I gasp hard when I am right on the edge of falling asleep... It's weird. Some people just don't understand.
I've been having panic attacks all my life. Tried everything--psychiatry, alcohol, prescription drugs--I take Xanax now but some nights it doesn't work.  Tonight it isn't working, and so I came here.

I just want to put my arms around all of you until we aren't scared anymore.
I have had severer panic attacks and anxiety for 12 years now. I have been hospitalized for it 11 times when I first got sick in my late twenties. Now lately it has come back again and I have a fear of dying in my sleep. It really ***** ! My body is super sensitive and I tried different medications for anxiety and depression several times but they just made me feel a lot worse.. I really don't think any drugs are the cure anyways they just mask the symptoms.  It's comforting to see other people with this disorder ! Nice to feel like your not alone! I have a medication and relaxation CD I play but it doesn't always work.. I really enjoyed reading all the comments from everyone.
omg ive had the same thing for the past two to three wekks some days better than others i tryed going to sleep and get tingles for no reason and it wake we up i just want to go to slep and feel like my self and again so i know exsaclty were you are coming from and i hope for you sake and mine we get better
does anyone check their bp when this happens? I am obsessed with checking min because I recently when to urgent care and got put on bp meds, Im wondering if they could have an effect on my anxiety. Does anyone have anything theve found helpful in going to sleep?
My fear usually compounds because a feeling of "unfinished business" and I often obsess about the lives of my wife and kids if they lost me early in their young lives. Losing my life insurance and job don't aid in that. I replay all the news stories and the experiences of people close to me that I feel were taken too soon, and know that pure numbers are against me. Monitored sleep is one of the only things that brings comfort to me, but it often irritates my wife and she doesn't understand my fear. I am so jealous, she can treasure and wants her sleep. Health issues and no insurance for the past few years also puts my brain in an extra panic of uncertainty. I also lost my insurance after having the luxury of several years of available healthcare. I try to meditate and take some solace in my lifetime ability to short sleep. I rarely slept more than five hours a night before I knew this panic. Recently, I have tried to adopt an "each day is a gift"  or for the country-western fans "live like you were dyin" attitude. With a refocused effort to try better myself everyday, at bedtime I tell my self, " What the hell do I have to lose,, did my best today, and if it is the end, I can be at peace with myself and concence. And in rhyme,  If I'm going to not wake up anyway, make the most of everyday. Cheesy, but has made great improvement to the whole of my life, and maybe someday beyond. Hope the rambling helped, it did me.  
I experience the same thing I've been suffering from anxiety that bad I got constant pain around my heart  my heart races fast I can't sleep properly my mind is going crazy I completey think I'm gonna die of a heart atack wile I'm righting this I just woke up thinking I stopped breathing it's a joke I never used to be like this seems to be getting worse and worse I take 10 mg diazepam 3 times a day and 10 mg of tamazapan on the night but the diazepam helps threw day but tamazapan don't seem to help for the sleep I'm fighting a loosing battle I'm only 26 and this taking over my life already
Im having this to and it really sicks but i have anxiety and depression so i guess that's playing a major part in my thinking crazy and sleeping problems