Asperger's Syndrome Community
909 Members

aspergers freack out in dentist chair

Ok, so today i went to the dentist expecting to have a root canal and a crown, unfortunantly the tooth had to be cut out.
I got really scared!!! I am 32 years old and started crying like a baby, and shaking, i look up and see the dental assistant laughing at me, you know the look, the "what the blank is wrong with you look" so i pointed at her and said "why are you laughing" i probably scared her...i was seated but my finger was practically touching her nose" this past week i had some stressfull things happen, i had a meeting at the school about my aspergers child, then i had 3 trees fall on the back of my house, and i have been hit with a mega dose of anxiety. So today i just lost it....i wanted to just cover my ears to stop all the noise, it was those drills, and the laughing, and the dentist was giving me all these options and my head was spinning....i have read post from a few adults on here that have a ne perspective on this stuff, i really want that, i want to know how!!! i thought that it had gone away, why is it coming back now???
thanks in advanced, i know this cannot be easy to talk about
Sounds like the middle of a meltdown/anxiety attack for sure...  Ouch... is the word that comes to my mind... Thankfully I've not had a freak-out at the dentist, but I do admit the vibration and sound of the drill makes me uneasy.

I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed and that was quite an experience... They said the gas was supposed to knock me out. It didn't. Instead I felt like I was in a dreamlike state, but still fully aware of what was going on around me. I guess I could have mentioned something about that, but I was kind of relieved that I was conscious and aware...  It makes me more nervous to think of being completely conked out than to put up with the procedure.

While they removed my teeth, they put something in my mouth to keep me from closing it along with all kinds of other tools they poked me with...

As far as anxiety, it does build up, I find I may passively react to a "big" thing only later to find myself bent out of shape by a "little" thing... I guess that's how it works with our bodies. I'd freak out if 3 trees fell on our house.  Must be quite a storm?
I think from a psychological point of view, having 3 events happen in close succession is said to cause anyone 'anxiety' to varying degrees.
Would it be useful to have an appointment with the dentist just to go and tell him that you have Aspergers and give him a written sheet of what you would like him to do ie. if you have several options that you need them to be written down for you and you need to be able to go away and make a decision.  Also that any changes to what you are expecting to happen could cause you high levels of anxiety and again you may need time to come to terms with that change.
You would put anything that you think would help you.
I also think it is totally unacceptable that the assistant was laughing.  Do you feel strong enough to tell them that?  If it was someone who was blind, for example, I doubt they would have laughed at them.  Just because your difficulties are invisible doesn't make them any less valid.
Man, I just had a root canal myself... this past Saturday.  I'm 35.  

Don't you hate it when bad things seem to happen in groups?  Like everything has to happen at once, and you are stuck dealing with it.  For me, I'm dealing with preparing to move to another state... and dealing with everythign financially going wrong at the same time when it's just the wrong time to be able to float that type of money with moving expenses and trying to sell your house in a market that has totally tanked (replacing the heater/AC was the most expensive, but also car, medical bills, etc.).  

Losing trees in your yard would be pretty tramatic.  Especially if you have lived there for awhile.  We're moving, and just knowing that I won't see my apple tree in the front yard anymore makes me very sad.  Oh, and I guess having the expense of having someone come and chop the trees up and haul them off and  any damage them falling could cause.  Man, that's depressing.  

Did they at least give you a bridge? Or a bridge tooth?  I forget what it's called... but it's when they put the fake tooth in and bridge it to the two teeth on either side (my husband had to have that done when he was a kid because of a bike accident).  

Did you bite the dentist?  i did that once years ago (in my 20s).  I was very proud of myself when I went to have my root canal over the weekend and I did not bite or kick the dentist.  Yes, I freaked out too.  Root canals are major work... oh and getting teeth yanked instead... that's scarier!  Be proud of yourself for going!  So, I figure, hey, if we didn't bite the dentist, didn't slap, kick, or harm the dentist or the assistant, hey, we're doing pretty well for ourselves!  Give yourself a hand for surviving the dentist's chair!   And we pay them a whole butt load of money to have all this work done, they can put up with us if we are scared and freak out.  I'd be proud of pointing your finger at her and calling her out on laughing at you.  

I counted the speckles on the ceiling tiles, did math and physics problems in my head and was trying to remember lines from movies to distract myself.  I really hate the lighting and  sound in the dentist's chair.  The ceiling has fluorescent lights and  then there is the additional dentist's portable light that even if you have your eye's closed, it still seems to go through your eyelids.  I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, so with a little bit of a local anesthetic I didn't mind the pain, though the fact that these two strangers (and for awhile 3) had their hands in  my mouth was a bit bothersome.  It was a back molar, so they were sticking their hands way back.  I did mostly well, but at one point I got freaked out... my tongue seemed to keep repeatedly wandering over to where the work was getting done in my mouth (I honestly could not control it with the local anesthetic making my tongue feel nonexistant) and I have a really good nick on my tongue where they buzzed it.  Oops.  They had to have a second assistant come and put another stick in  my mouth to hold my tonuge in place and not where the dentist was.  I'm sure they thought I was a big baby... but, I figure the amount of money they are getting (50% from my insurance, but 50% from me... well, they can put up with me being a big baby and luckily I won't see these people outside of their office ever).  

I take cymbalta.  If you are having a lot of anxiety, just ask your general practioner about antidepressants to get you through this stressful period.  Or upping your  dose if you already take one.  Finding ways to vent your frustrations are good too. I like to play video games to escape reality for awhile.  Some people do yoga or tai-chi or just go exercise like at the gym or running.  

Was the meeting with the school really bad?  
thanks guys, it so embarassing to talk about all this, you are right i did not have enough time to process the change in plans for my tooth!!!
i did not bit the dentist or get aggressive other than point at the girl laughing at the situation
the dentist actually called me last night to see how i was, that was so nice
the gas did not phase me, next time he wants me to take valuim but i am worried that taking a valuim could cause some problems in my recovery, thats something i will have to look at the risk versus the benifits
i asked my shrink about the cymbalta, i know a ton of people who have had success with this drug, i asked her about cymbalta because i was trying to go through inerfuron/chemo at the begining of the summer and that drug can help with pain, but i think i remember her telling me its not good for liver disease patients, i will ask again, i do take seroquel and it helps a bunch with some of the weired destructive stuff i do but its making me fat
this is so great to talk openly about these symptoms i have had all my life, i am new to the aspergers diagnoses but not the symptoms,
i am going to cut way back on the stress mess...taking a vacation next week, getting a facial hopefully friday, it will be my first time doing that, i plan on hiking by myself once a week whem the kids go back to school, i am trying yoga, its harded than it looks, and now i have somewhere to talk about it without feeling stupid
thank you for your help, i am still embarassed about having the meltdown yesterday!!!
Cymbalta also helps me with my over-sensitivities some.  It helped me more on a higher dose, but I felt spaced out, so I cut my dosage back to 30 mg twice a day.  Although being hyper-sensitive to sounds is annoying in some situations, I also feel that it's part of who I am.  But the 30 mg dosage does help take a bit of the edge off some of it.  Now if my daughter will stop her high-piercing screeches and stop pulling my fingers off my hand I would be a little happier.  But, I digress...

I had some luck on Prozac for awhile, several years ago.  Another one that was okay, but made me really spaced out was elavil.  It also helped my migraine issues.  I gave up that one because I couldn't drive while on that medication.  That was many many years ago at this point.
My husband has a horrid fear of dentists since he has a tooth that grew in sideways and had to be cut out.  In fact, he hasn't seen a dentist in 11 years.  when he goes they give him IV valium.  He said it worked wonders.
i will definantly have to have the gas before they start
monday they gave it to me after i startedt to freak
i wish i could take valuim, but i cant
i will look into cymbalta, i am not sure if that was the meds i asked my doc about
do you know if it is safe for patients with liver disease?
This is from medscape.com about cymbalta and liver:

"Postmarketing reports of liver injury (including hepatitis and cholestatic jaundice) suggest that patients with pre-existing liver disease who take [Cymbalta] may have an increased risk for further liver damage," says the FDA.

Netdoctor.co.uk says:
"Not to be used in
Children and adolescents under 18 years of age
Liver disease resulting in decreased liver function
Severely decreased kidney function
Uncontrolled high blood pressure (hypertension)
People who have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor antidepressant (MAOI) in the last 14 days
People taking the medicines fluvoxamine, ciprofloxacin or enoxacin
Rare hereditary problems of fructose intolerance, glucose-galactose malabsorption, or sucrose-isomaltase insufficiency (Cymbalta capsules contain sucrose)."

Sounds like if you have liver disease with decreased liver function, to stay away from it.  
yeah...that is not a good one for me
maybe if i just hang in there the anxiety will get better, there is a girl on here who has been talking to me, thats a big help, just knowing other people have made it through all this
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
What to expect in your growing baby
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?
Autism expert Dr. Richard Graff weighs in on the vaccine-autism media scandal.
Could your home be a haven for toxins that can cause ADHD?