Birth Control (Contraception) Community

depo shot

i had the depo shot back in feb 2012. and i have a period in april 2012 for like 7 days and then i spotted for like 3 days after that... and me and my husband are planning to have a baby within the next year.. so how long do you think it will take before i can have a baby???
depo shot lasts for 3 months. in which time you cannot get pregnant. my doctor told it me it can take an additional 10-15 months for it to be completely out of your system. with that said, you still CAN get pregnant during this time, its just less likely.

http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/11121

Scroll down to 4.4 Special warnings and precautions for use - return to fertility
If you stop getting Depo-Provera injections, your period usually returns within 3 to 10 months but sometimes it may take 12-18 mths. Ovulation may return earlier and hence you can try for pregnancy when ovulation returns.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

My last shot was October of 2011... Still haven't gotten a real period now I think I might be pregnant. But I can't tell due to the fact my last "period" was 8 months of spotting!! Best thing is to just go talk to your doctor. There are all sorts.of tests they can do. Good luck.