Breast Cancer Community

Breast Lump - Left Breast

Yesterday, during a self exam, I found a small tender lump within my left breast. I'm quite nervous about it and would just like some information about what it could be. It's small, about 2cm cubed (from what I can tell) and feels a little sore when I touch the area. It's underneath the nipple and I'm just a little concerned. I'd never found this before so can someone give me some information (or reassurance that it's OK would be best!)
At your young age, the lump is most likely benign, possibly a fibroademoma or a cyst. Pain is usually not a sign of breast cancer. However, the only way to know for sure is to get it checked out by your doctor. I'd highly recommend talking to your mother about it. Waiting and worrying about it won't make it any better, but taking action will. Any lump or change in the breast needs to be evaluated, so please get it checked out, OK?
Wishing you all the best,
nc
Thank you.
It's quite a hard lump and its sore to touch. It doesn't move from where it is now and it's easy to find the edges. I showed my Mum and she says its to do with my hormones. Is she right?
Your Mum is quite right--the most common and logical causes of breast pain are hormonal. Here's a web site with a lot of good information regarding breast pain:
http://www.imaginis.com/breast-health/breast-pain.
I think you'll find it helpful. I would still recommend getting it checked out by a doctor,
however, just to be sure. It's what I'd do with my daughter.  Better to be safe than sorry, I think.
Take care,
nc
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.