Breast Cancer Community

Last minute nerves - Mastectomy

I am booked in at hospital tomorrow to have a mastectomy the day after.  I chose to do this because my DCIS has become invasive and after one lumpectomy having shown invasion, I dont want to go through the second one showing the same.  Now I am reading everywhere that Mastectomy isnt much different in having another lumpectomy - that they are almost on a par.  Am I doing the right thing, will this surgery give my tormented, frantic mind any rest?  Will they uncover more problems when they analyse the tissue??.  I feel like my 5mm of orignal DCIS - that was discovered in November has been left and left and left - and is now becoming a time bomb.  I feel like I have been on these posts forever,where most people seem to have been treated and are hopeful.  Sorry for being so gloomy but I am scared to death and its been too long.
Hazel
Hazel, I'm so sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. I do think of you often and continue praying for you and everyone else. I have been away from this site for a little while, but decided to check to see if you had any resent posts. I cannot give you answers, I wish I could. But, I can share with you what 2 of my friends did (although EVERY person is different as well as their particular medical case). One friend had the lumpectomy but had to go back in 2 times as the margins were not clear and later(2 years) went in for the mastectomy. My other friend just went for the mastectomy and is having her reconstruction Feb. 28th(original surgery was in the summer) --she wanted to wait for the reconstruction surgery. Again, the particulars of everyone's medical case are never exactly the same, therefore the treatment one chooses isn't always the right one for everyone else. Good luck and I will continue to pray and watch for your posts. Love, Karen
Hello Hazel, I am new to this site but have just stumbled across your posting. I am so sorry that you are so worried. I just wanted to tell you that I had a mastectomy in 2000 for Stage 2b breast cancer and am doing fine. I had DCIS and invasive with two positive lymph nodes and received chemo and radiation and tamoxifen. In seven years I think my greatest challenge has been to stay positive and keep the fear at bay. But I feel that I have been able to do that. I have never regretted my mastectomy for a second. There is life after your breast is removed. Hang in there and God bless you through this time, Doris
Hi Doris,

Thank you so much for your post, I really appreciate what you say.

Best wishes
Hazel
Hi Karen,

Thank you for your post - we have been through it together for awhile havent we?, so it was lovely to hear from you again, thank you for telling me about your friends.

Betsy posted the other day on your original post - she was asking if I had heard from you, you should both still have that coffee.

Stay well.
Very best wishes, Hazel
Hi Hazel
Sorry to hear what you are going through and since we were last posted back last November last year.
I wish you very best wishes and recovering well and sent my prayers to you and hope
the operation successful to you .
Keep postive in your mind and relax.With my case is benign results last month and will follow up with another u/s in May again another lesion present in same L breast.
Hope to hear from you later in post.
regards Wendy
I remember you Hazellyn and I just want you to know I am thinking of you and will keep you in my prayers tonight.

A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.