Cats Community

Thirsty Cat + ACTH blood test

Our cat's vet decided to perform an ACTH blood test after all the other tests (diabetes, thyroid) came back negative.  She was tested positive for Hyperadrenal Corticism (I probably spelled this wrong, sorry).  
How common is this disease in cats?  Are there any records that are kept on this?
Once she was diagnosed I became obsessed in finding information and other cat owners in the same position as me --- to no avail.
You can find out more about it by it's more common name, Cushing's Disease or Syndrome. It results when too much cortisol, a hormone, is produced in the body.  It typically results from a benign adrenal or pituitary tumor, but can also be the result of administering cortical steroids such as prednisone as a medication.  It is more common in dogs than it cats and older cats have a higher incidence.
COMMUNITY LEADER
hi...I will give you an excellent site with multiple links you are seeking...good luck.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_cushing_s_disease.html
I would like to hear more about your cat that tested positive for Cushing's disease. My Tink is going on 2 years with it and diabetes. Cushing's is very rare in cats and I haven't been able to find anyone either who is living with a cat that has it. It can be discouraging and I hope that since your post in February 2011 you have had many more months of happiness with your kitty. I would like to hear more from you. We are now having litter box issues on occasion. While her fur is missing from her belly, sides and hind legs, and her middle is large and round and the size of a volleyball (almost that is), and a growth on top of her head gets bigger, she is as loving as ever. She is always hungry and has not lost weight. Thanks for the opportunity to tell her story to someone who understands.
From your comment I wonder if you have a cat with cushing's disease. I have research a lot on the web and found the same information. I posted a comment for lynn12358 hoping to hear back about her cat. Here is what I said: I would like to hear more about your cat that tested positive for Cushing's disease. My Tink is going on 2 years with it and diabetes. Cushing's is very rare in cats and I haven't been able to find anyone either who is living with a cat that has it. It can be discouraging and I hope that since your post in February 2011 you have had many more months of happiness with your kitty. I would like to hear more from you. We are now having litter box issues on occasion. While her fur is missing from her belly, sides and hind legs, and her middle is large and round and the size of a volleyball (almost that is), and a growth on top of her head gets bigger, she is as loving as ever. She is always hungry and has not lost weight. Thanks for the opportunity to tell her story to someone who understands......meme
My cat was diagnosed at 14 years and lived for 3years and 3months w/o meds. We tried the prednisone route but she was very sick. So much so I had to take her to the vet and they kept her overnight on IV because she was so dehydrated.  After that I decided not to do the drugs because her quality of life was more important to me than the quantity of life.  One of the symptoms is the *fright/flight* which is normal due to the amounts of cortisol shooting through her system.  Early on in her diagnoses you wouldn't know she was sick except that she drank A LOT and pee'd a lot too.  Later in her life she had the swollen belly that made her look very pregnant.  She never lost any fur, had any visible lumps or litter accidents.  Her last day, when she stopped eating completely, she managed to crawl into her litterbox and gave me a pee-ball the size of a peanut.  I miss her terribly, even though she died five years ago ... I haven't been able to get another cat as yet.
Dear 2012meme, I'm sorry I didn't log on sooner to read your message and I sincerely hope things are going well for you and Tink.  I would love to hear further from you so please feel free to drop a line here or message me whenever you have some time.  My thoughts are with you.
I'm so glad you wrote and told me your story. No one else with a kitty having cushing's disease responded although several offered information and encouragement.

My 12 year old kitty with cushing's disease  has survived and has been a happy cat the past 3+ years. For 2+ years she has been on insulin 2 times a day, currently 9 units each time. In May 2013 the vet opened a Retrobulbar abscess at the back of her mouth, the probable cause of her bulging eye and third eyelid showing. Her recovery from sedation was scary. Without her normal drinking and eating her BG went down to 58 and twice we gave her karo syrup. She went through a day breathing with her mouth open. Otherwise she was sleeping a lot. She went through a stage when she was too weak to get on the bed, even with her own stool. My husband thinks she will know when the time comes and will go peacefully. I'm not so sure.  

Today her eye has improved. We took her to an animal ophthalmologist. She is weaker, but still has all the symptoms...enormous belly, lots of hair loss, extreme thirst and appetite, weak and thin legs, growth on top of her head that has come and gone twice, diarrhea, occasional litter box accidents. We use a Lantus Solarstar pen for insulin and she doesn't mind at all. We hesitated about leaving her while we went on a trip, but they give her her meds and have a vet on site and the ladies love her. As long as she is happy and loving we continue to treat whatever has come up. I understand your loss after all the hope and care you experienced. Bless you.