Cats Community

Why does my cat excessively stretch her hind legs?

My 2 to 3 (I lose track) year old female cat has been doing this for as long as I can remember. She is ALWAYS stretching her hind legs. She is beautiful and energetic, affectionate, and eats well. Possibly unrelated, but worth noting, is she SEEMS to have poor eyesight since birth. She used to try to walk through glass doors, would accidentally walk off the side of our porch, and is always easily spooked by anyone she sees at a distance if she doesn't know who it is when they haven't spoken to her yet. Also, she's well earned her name 'Verbal', as she talks a LOT, which I assume is because she relies on sounds more than sights. Now back to the stretching... I have lots of experience with cats, so I can safely say that her stretching is definitely unusually excessive. She will stretch her hind legs before laying down, after getting up, she will even stop mid-walk to stretch her hind legs, especially if she is descending the stairs or just finished descending the stairs. I counted once, and after getting down the stairs, she stretched her hind legs 5 different times in approximately 30 seconds. Otherwise she seems perfectly healthy and happy. So why all the stretching of the hind legs?
hahahah its cute my Tweety does the same in fact I have been copying her, and I stretch in the morning alongside her ...lol
COMMUNITY LEADER
hi and welcome Ero....with all the symptoms you describe I would almost think its something neurological going on with kitty(?) that would affect her ability to 'judge' when jumping more so than being an eyesite issue.....and would also affect her limbs.
we aren't Vets on this site, I would recommend having her seen by a good Vet for a consult. In the meantime we do have an excellent Vet on our Animal Health forum that perhaps could give you some help too.
good luck and please come back and give us an update....((>^.^<))

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Animal-Health---General/show/112?controller=forums&action=show&id=112&camp=msc
She doesn't have any trouble jumping. She's very agile and accurate. But she has difficulty recognizing people by sight, used to accidentally WALK straight off edges, and try to walk through glass doors. Also, vets are extremely expensive, and I can't afford to satisfy my curiosity with a vet visit.