Chlamydia Community

How do I still have Chlamydia?

Here's some background information: In September 2015, my girlfriend tested positive for chlamydia, as she had suffered bleeding and saw a doctor. So, I got tested and low and behold, I was positive for it as well. I had no idea I had it, if I was even the one who had it to begin with (there's a 4 month span where she was never tested at her gyno). We have both been faithful in our relationship since April. The last woman I had sex with was in January of 2015, using condoms. My girlfriend says she has not had sex in 2 years, previous to our relationship.

Anyway, the health department gave me two 500mg tablets of Zithromax (produced by Pfizer). I waited over six weeks to be retested. I tested at a local clinic, and once again to my disarray, I tested positive in November 2015. Honestly, she and I did not have intercourse with each other since we found out we were positive for Chlamydia in September.

Shocked at this, I went to a local clinic, telling the doctor my situation. She prescribed me 7 days of doxycycline, twice a day (100mg pills, I believe). I took all 7 days worth, twice a day, as instructed. Finished the last pill on Thanksgiving Day. Now I plan on waiting until December 28th to be retested. Needless to say, my girlfriend was upset (as am I) and it has hurt our trust. I have had NO sex since we both found out we were positive (however, I did test negative for everything else, including HIV) and we have not seen any other people.

Which brings me to my questions....how effective is doxycycline? I would hate to test positive again, and have to break the news to my girlfriend once more (she has yet to be retested, by the way...her date is set for December 21, 2015) simply because the antibiotic does not work. How common is it for both medications to fail?

Also, I have masturbated and am wondering if I can reinfect myself by those means? Probably a stupid question, but I wanted to make sure. I realize chlamydia cannot live outside of the body, but I want to cover all of my bases.

Next, I drank alcohol 2 days after finishing the medication, but drank NO alcohol while I took it. Nowhere on the bottle (nor did my doctor say anything) did it say I can't drink alcohol after finishing the doxy, but it did instruct me not to drink alcohol while taking it. Will that affect the doxycycline killing the infection? I didn't get drunk, just had a few drinks.

Other than that, I have not taken any other medications or drank at all (including when I was given Zithromax). I have read that taking iron vitamin supplements can hurt the effectiveness of doxycycline. Is this really true? I couldn't find a conclusive answer. In addition to that, I've read that drinking milk can decrease the medication's effectiveness, but I don't really ingest lactose products (other than 2 glasses of milk when I was on doxycycline).

I'm just ready for this nightmare to be over with. It has plagued my girlfriend and I for several months, and she has solid proof from medical exams throughout the year (as well as 5 years back) that she has tested negative for all STD's as well as HIV until she had sexual contact with me (minus the 4 month gap I mentioned earlier, this year).

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Keeping my fingers crossed for the next test on the 28th.
You can not reinfect yourself, medication often works well but at times as you have experienced it does not and a different medication is needed and maybe even a longer/strong dose. I would be confident in the 2nd medication working.

No clue about iron supplements, that would be a question for your Dr.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.