Colitis Forum

ischemic colitis

I am 43 year old , female with two children , for about two months i complain of acute pain at the left lower abdomen related to eating , with constipation ( Now i can't defecate without an enema for the last two weeks ), for the last 20 days I noticed bright red blood with mucus with stool , I performed a colonscope which revealed multiple aphthus ulcers alover the colon and multiple acute angled fixed splenic flexure, the biobsies taken revealed ischemic active colitis  . my doctor said he didn't know the exact cause of this but he insist that it is not an inflammatory bowel disease. I didn't receive any treatments until now . 3 years ago I noticed the same character of pain but on the right upper abdomen ,  a laparoscopic exploration was done which revealed very dense adhesions around the liver and multiple areas of fibrosis in the liver ,the jejunum also shows multiple white strikes , biopsies revealed sclerosing cholangitis in the liver and mild inflammation in the jejunum . My doctor fail to diagnose my case and referred me to a surgeon to do laparoscopic lysis of the adhesions, Now I didn't eat for one month because I'm afraid of pain and I have lost 10 kg of my weight in one month. Could you please tell me the possible causes of my case , the next step I have to do and whether the operation will be benifitial for me.    thanks for help
Since you have been diagnosed with sclerosing cholangitis, it is more likely that the bowel lesions are due to IBD as both these conditions are related.
I would suggest a repeat colonoscopy with biopsy.
Most often IBD is confused with colon ischemia.  Also ischemic colitis usually presents as an acute condition.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem