Current Events . . . Community
42 Members

Report: Obama Health Law a Good Deal for States

http://news.yahoo.com/report-obama-health-law-good-deal-states-184545955.html

States will receive more than $9 in federal money for every $1 they spend to cover low-income residents under President Barack Obama's health care law, according to a nonpartisan analysis released Monday.

Expanding Medicaid to cover about 20 million more low-income people will cost over $1 trillion nationally from 2013 to 2022, said the joint report from the Kaiser Family Foundation and the Urban Institute. But the analysis found that states will pay just $76 billion of that, a combined share of roughly 7 percent. The feds will pay the other $952 billion.

Republican governors have resisted the Medicaid expansion, saying it adds an unacceptable burden to already strained budgets. And the Supreme Court handed the governors a victory this summer, ruling that states are free to reject the Medicaid deal.

Medicaid is one of the two main ways that Obama's law expands coverage to most of the 50 million uninsured U.S. residents. As a broader Medicaid safety net picks up more low-income people, new health insurance markets called exchanges will offer subsidized private coverage to the middle class. Both parts of the strategy take effect in 2014, at the same time that most Americans will be required to carry health insurance or pay a fine.

The new analysis was unlikely to change the minds of state leaders who have already rejected the Medicaid expansion, but it may help shape the debate in a majority of states still on the fence.
I will never understand why states would oppose this....
Expanding Medicaid to cover about 20 million more low-income

Medicaid needs revamped to cover LESS people.  Medicaid is a wasteful, corrupt entity.  Less and less doctors and hospitals take Medicaid, because, for one, they never get paid.  

Medicaid is a disgrace.  The things I've seen with my own eyes have made me sick.  Medicaid is a travesty...and Medicare is getting there.

God help us if Medicaid is the primary route to insuring people, either directly or indirectly.

AMEN.  I hope they all reject it, to force Obama to find a different way to cover people.
If they reject it, then the fed government enforces it. Then those same governors will have to answer to their constituents in 2014 and get voted out....

"Under the law, Medicaid will be expanded to cover people up to 138 percent of the federal poverty line, or about $15,400 for an individual. It's mainly geared to low-income adults with no children at home, who currently cannot get Medicaid coverage in most states. Washington pays all of the cost for the first three years, gradually phasing down to 90 percent.

Some of the main findings:

— States that reject the expansion could still face a substantial increase in their Medicaid costs, as people already eligible for the program but not currently enrolled are prompted to sign up.

— States will save $18 billion from no longer having to offset the cost of charity for low-income uninsured people.

— Some states will actually come out ahead. New York, Massachusetts, Wisconsin and others that already cover low-income childless adults will be able to reap a more generous federal matching rate than they currently get.

— Texas, the state with the highest percentage of uninsured residents, would see a 6 percent increase in Medicaid spending. About 2.4 million residents would be added to the Medicaid rolls.

Medicaid is a federal-state partnership that varies from state to state. So the consequences for state budgets will be different in each case.

Not so for the uninsured, said Alan Weil, executive director of the National Academy for State Health Policy, an independent research and policy group. "This is more than a fiscal exercise," said Weil. "There is a human dimension that needs to be part of the discussion far beyond just the dollars."
With all the complaining about medicaid and medicare, I see all this as nothing more than a route to the passage of universal health care. Seems to me there is a terrific case being made for that passage. I think this just might be a good thing. It will take the religious element of prosecution by providing services it doesn't believe in, it takes away the need for two programs that are continually being challenged as unsustainable, and when you factor in all the arguments thereof, universal healthcare seems to be the only solution. The obvious solution.
"If they reject it, then the fed government enforces it"...........  And the feds get their money from whom?????
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.