Dental Health Community

Abscess tooth

My adult son has a tooth that needs extracted. His insurance requires preauthorization (!?), so he saw a dentist and the request was submitted. In the meantime, he was prescribed 10 days of amoxicillin, which he did not take properly. It's been 2 weeks since his visit and his jaw and cheek and swollen and painful. He went to the ER, at his dentists suggestion, and was given ibuprofen and 500mg pencillin 4 x day, which we are monitoring, to be sure it gets taken. Today is day 2, and he is still in pretty severe pain and the swelling seems to have subsided a bit, but not noticeably. I am very concerned for his health. When should we see improvement?? Can the dentist extract the tooth with the infection?

Swelling can take 3-5 days to start to come down.  It takes that long for the antibiotic to start to work.  Not taking it regularly before has put him back a few days by "tickling" the bugs.

Make sure he takes that penicillin faithfully.  Only your dentist will know if the tooth can come out when he sees it.  In the meantime, tell your son to rinse with warm salt water (1/4 tsp per 8 oz water) to help ease the pain and to try sleeping with his head elevated some to minimize the swelling.

Good Luck.  Do let us know how he does.
My very best to you,
Gellia