Dental Health Community

Can TN result from novocaine injection injury?

If the dentist damages the trigeminal nerve when giving a novocaine injection, can that cause Trigeminal Neuralgia?  

My dentist thinks my trigeminal nerve was damaged from an injection about a month ago, and I thought it would heal over time.  However, I still have daily episodes of intense pain that may leave a lingering severe ache before the pain remits.  Anti-inflammatories may help, but not always.  Tylenol doesn't help.  

I was referred to an oral surgeon who said it is definitely a nerve issue, and if I wasn't better in a month, we might consider Neurontin.  The site of injection is healed, no infection, no abscess.  On x-rays, everything looks physically okay.  So, now this problem is considered medical, not dental, and I cannot follow up with the oral surgeon due to my insurance network policies.

My symptoms are very much like TN.  The pain is triggered by talking, eating, hot, or cold.  The medicine the oral surgeon mentioned is one sometimes used to treat TN.  I left the oral surgeon thinking this should heal over time, but now I'm wondering if it could be TN?

This discussion is related to Could I have Trieminal Neuralgia?.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Seeing a neurologist or orofacial pain specialist is advised.
I've been researching this.  Even a regular cleaning could trigger Trigeminal Neuralgia.  I'm now taking Tegretol, which is almost diagnostic for TN.  I'm not up to full dose yet.

If you are having pain that is like an ice cream headache in your face, cheek, jaw, etc., ask about TN.  Many people get all their teeth pulled or multiple root canals before finding out it was TN, which is treated with medication, not with removing teeth, etc.