Dental Health Community

Dental Abscess and Antibiotics.

I have previously posted about my tooth abscess but I have more questions:

June 1st went to ER for swollen face/gums/jaw and was prescribed penicillin vk 500 mg every six hours. 10 days worth.

June 7th face seemed more swollen and extreme pain. Went to dentist and as in waiting room my abscess burst. They rushed me in and squeezed all the puss and blood out. Dentist wanted me to start another antibiotic but no money so had to wait to go to a free clinic.

June 11th went to free clinic. Most of swelling besides a bumb in my jaw is gone. Was prescribed amoxicillin for 10 days. Doctor told me he wouldn't even take it until I know when I can get the tooth removed. The other dentist told me to take it so I'm confused.

If I was prescribed penicillin and it didn't work would amoxicillin work?
The infection should be under control before you get the tooth removed. I can't tell you what to do but, if it were me, I would take the antibiotic first. Some times you have to try something different to help an infection. Hopefully the Amoxicillin will work.