Dental Health Community

Pain 3 weeks post wisdom teeth removal

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out 3 weeks ago (they hadn't started coming through yet, but apparently on x-ray they were going to cause problems). I was prescribed antiobiotics for a week and I finished the course. However, my teeth next to the socket and the gum around still feel achy and tender. I'm worried - what's wrong? I've been on solid food for ages now, but my teeth/gum/jaw (can't quite pinpoint the pain) still aches every day. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Hi there,
It is normal to experience some pain after wisdom tooth removal. The pain usually lessens with time. Persistent pain could be due to several other reasons like dry socket, non healing wound. Dry socket is alveolar osteitis when the blood clot at the site of the tooth extraction has been dislodged or has dissolved before the wound has healed. There is severe pain since the underlying bone and nerves are exposed. It is best to contact your dentist and get a dental check up done. A clinical examination will be helpful. Consult your dentist.
Best wishes and regards!