Dental Health Community

Sore Tongue and Irritation

I've had a sore tongue for quite a while now and it has been worrying me. I have whitish spots in my tongue and they burn a little bit. It's very uncomfortable. I thought I could have thrush and when I went to the doctor, she didn't think I have thrush and it looks ok, with just a few irritated spots. She gave me a mouth rinse to make it better, but it actually makes it hurt even more, and it usually bothers me more on the side and tip of my tongue. I noticed enlarged taste buds, but my tongue does not have a white coating and it's not red, just on a few small spots. It's very strange and I'm frustrated! Does anyone have any idea what could be? It also has a few "cuts" on top.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Srring an oral pathologist or oral medicine specialist is advised.
You could have a Geographic tongue, often showing spots or stange patterns.  Typically it will be more reactive to "acidic" foods and drinks causing soreness and spots to occur, my daughter has this and we only became aware of it when she got hooked on those Listerine mouth strips.  Try eliminating acidic foods from your diet for awhile to see if it gets better.  Also you might want to see your dentist first to rule out oral cancer.  Enlarged taste buds are also part of the geographic tongue issues, stop eating/drinking all acidic products for at least a month and see if it helps but see a dentist or periodontist to rule out other issues.