Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Community
7.5k Members

Swelling Under Chin

I am a young woman who has undergone a wealth of root canals, extractions, etc. Diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome, I can spend every week at the dentist or endo (or both) during flare-ups and in general I know my recovery time is often double the norm. All that being said: I am becoming extremely concerned and alarmed about one particular (new to me) symptom.

Had a root canal one week ago today, there was a bad bone infection, antibiotic was placed into the bone to help. Put on Amox (allergic to Cleocin, Augmentin etc.) 875 every 8 hrs. Developed an abscess after treatment which lasted for a few days, peaking roughly 4 days after root canal.

The swelling is slowly subsiding but the pain is still horrendous and I continue to feel generally sick (haven't been able to go back to work).  Now that my face isn't unrecognizable, I can clearly see a bump or swelling underneath my chin that is tender to the touch. It has not extended any lower than below the chin and overall things seem to be improving.

But the holiday weekend is upon us and my endo is going out of town. I am extremely nervous about this hardened bump and fear it spreading.

Do I have reason for concern? Is this a normal part of recovery? Please advise.
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Dental Answerers
taipei, Taiwan
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.