Dental Health Community

mouth breathing

Im 24 and have beebreathing out of my mouth all my life. I just found out this is a problem. I do have allergies, asthma, bronchitis, etc. I had to get braces because i had crowded teeth at the bottom and the top was crooked. My face is long and also when i smile my gums shows at the top then top teeth and u cant see my bottom teeth. Idk who to talk to or what im supposed to do to stop breathing from my mouth. I try my nose but i dont feel like i get enough air.
There are many causes of mouth breathing. Few common causes are chronic allergies, tonsil hypertrophy, nasal polyps, deviated nasal septum, constricted upper airways, adenoids etc.You will need a complete Ear nose throat examination by an ENT specialist. A dental check up will also be helpful. A physical examination is very important for determining the correct cause of your symptoms. Treatment will depend on the underlying cause. I hope it helps.
Best wishes and kind regards!