Dental Health Community

"reactive lymph node" surgery

Hey all..
Well, I've had an interesting situation lately.  I went to the dentist about 2 months ago, for a small lump on my cheek that I thought might be communicating across the fascial planes to a tooth.  They diagnosed a tooth root fracture from a previous root canal (years ago).  Went to an oral surgeon and he extracted the tooth and said he thought the lump on my cheek was a lymph node.  

This lump spread and got a very bruised appearance on my skin.  I was also experiencing numbness and tingling of the lips on that side of my face, and the skin up to my eyes.  

My oral surgeon went in and did an exploratory surgery.  He found a tissue "mass" that he said did not look to have any pus associated with it...and he sent it for culture/sensitivity and pathology.    

Now the whole side of my face is extremely swollen and sore!  I'm takign advil (he gave me stronger stuff but i can't tolerate it and I'm on call for work)...

Just wondering if anyone has ever had this experience before.. any thoughts on what it might be?
I"m in a medical profession so I know just enough about what this might be to worry me, but don't know enough to feel as educated as I should be.

COMMUNITY LEADER
Dear umcpfreck:
       My differential diagnosis based on what you described would include: benign vascular lesion( for example: hemangioma, arteriovenous malformation,), mucous retention phenomenon due to severed Stenson's duct, foreign body granuloma which may include large particles of amalgam, Reactive lymph node is an unlikely diagnosis.
However, the final diagnosis would be determined by microscopic examination. You need to take antibiotics to clear up the post-op infection.Good luck
Regards