Depression/Mental Health Forum

Clarification

I want to clarify the question I put earlier today.

I am curious about a diagnosis - who wouldn't be?  But my primary concern,especially after reading so many of the other questions raised, is what the hope is for recovery once you have 'contracted' depression or some other form of mental illness.

For my part, I believe that I have fought off depression (or whatever) for most of my life.  Now that I have succumbed though, what can I hope for?  Are medications the answer to a problem that is not necessarily biologically based?  And how effective is psychotherapy?  There are so many different forms to choose from, how can one possibly know which one is going to work?  And, maybe more importantly, how can you ever know whether they aren't going to make you worse?  I have recently spent 20 months with an analyst who I am certain increased my sense of alienation and doubt, purely by his methodology (not through any bad faith).

I frequently feel terribly hopeless - but there has always been a grain somewhere that has kept me going.  I am terrified that even that tiny seed will soon disappear and then so will I.

I don't think I even expect an answer to this. Perhaps I just neeeded to say it.
Dear Sarah,

It is difficult to suffer from a prolonged illness.  For more than 50% of patients, Major Depression, the most common form of clinical depression, is a recurring illness. Treatment
is individualized. Some medications work better with some patients than others. Also some types of psychotherapy are more effective than others. You maybe happy to know that 70 to 80% of people suffering from this disorder improve with appropriate treatment. The two types of psychotherapy proven to be effective for the treatment of Major Depression are cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy and interpersonal psychotherapy.  Other forms of psychotherapy have not been extensively studied or proven effective.
The length of treatment also varies from months to years or a lifetime depending on the severity and reoccurrence of depression.
The important point is you continue treatment and discuss your concerns with your psychiatrist. Best Wishes.

Sincerely,

HFHS M.D.-SW

*Keywords: Depression,
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area