Depression/Mental Health Forum

Did the medicine cause me to lose control?

I am a 23 y.o. male.I went to a doctor back in January to be put on add medication like adderall for school.I was told I had add in middle school but never went on meds for it.I strongly feel that this doctor mis-diagnosed me. We talked for a while. He asked me some different questions. I told him that sometimes I get a little depressed nothing I need meds for. I told him that I have some mild anxiety and of course the add.  He did not want to prescribe a stimulant like adderall because he said it can be very addicting. He prescribed strattera 25mg 3x a day, wellbutrin xl 150mg per day which is supposed to be for major depression which I didn't even have. He said that it can be prescribed for add and that it will help. He also prescribed lexapro 10mg per day for anxiety. He said this should take away the anxiety and also help with the attention. Going on these meds was the biggest mistake I ever made. I took them for a little more than 3 months. I can honestly say that for the first 2.5 months I didn't feel much of a difference. It may of been a little easier to pay attention, I couldn't really tell. I was happy but I was happy before the meds anyway. The anxiety stayed the same which was mostly mild to sometimes strong.
Here is where I noticed the most dramatic change in my personality ever.  I was about to finish school and start a brand new job right away. The first day of my new job my girlfriend wanted to break up for her own personal reasons. I was hurt but had hope of working things out. That night I spoke to her and there was no hope in sight. I got really upset and did sream for a second and then cry. It didn't hit so hard until that sunday when I went to her house to try to talk about it. She had made up her mind and there was nothing I could do. We both sat toghether and cried for a little. I would of been up-set no matter what but i was over reacting. I couldn't control my sadness. For the next few days it was begging and pleading with her, I was constantly crying.  Yes i was up-set but I made myself look like a maniac. All of a sudden a few days after that I was happy, way too happy for a guy who just lost the person that he loved so much.  What came after that was horrible. I had an uncontrollable out burst of anger at work. I cursed out a co-worker and quite on the spot. Before all this I would sometimes get angry yell and curse but never with so much energy and beligerence and never over nothing.  I had a some smaller episodes after that. Then I was really happy again. My ex-girlfriend and I were friends. I missed her a lot but I was happy I could still see her and talk to her. We went out one night as friends and had a goodtime. We both had been drinking. On the way home I tried talking about the realtionship. She did not want to talk. I lost control. I never yelled so much with so much energy.The words I said were more terrible than actually being physical. Was this the medicine? I am off it but I have major anxiety now.
yes, it is possible that the medicines contributed because what you went through in the breakup required a lot of finely nuanced processesing, and the medications tend to homogenize your thinking, so it all stays somewhat bottled up, and comes out when stimulated in an exaggerated form.  I hope you are off, or going to go off, all unnecessary medications.
I'm surprised the doc didn't mention how drinking contributes...
You should read this:

HOLLYWOOD stars Kirsty Alley and Kelly Preston have launched a public drive to restrict the use of anti anti-depressants and medicines they say can cause suicide and violence among children and teens.

The pair has joined a group of doctors who are pushing for US authorities to slap tougher warnings of their possible side effects on prescription medicines such as the anti-depressants and drugs used to treat attention deficit disorder.

Both Alley and Preston, who is married to John Travolta, are members of the Church of Scientology that strongly opposes the use of psychiatric drugs.

"We can no longer sit back and let the clock tick, waiting for more deaths, suicides or people driven to violent acts by psychotropic drugs," the pair and a group of doctors opposed to the use of psychotropic drugs said in a letter to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

"Parents in particular have been misled about the effects of these drugs," Alley said in a statement. "They are highly addictive; kids are using them more than street drugs to get high," she said.

The actresses said they were taking action to raise public awareness after the FDA warned that stimulants prescribed to six million US children can cause "hallucinations and psychotic, suicidal and violent behaviour".

But the actresses say that even stronger warnings are needed.

"Parents don't know that these drugs are turning kids into walking time bombs," said Preston.

"Eight out of the last 13 school shooters were taking prescribed psychiatric drugs, and only now is the FDA investigating the fact these drugs can cause violence," she said.

Fellow Scientologist and superstar Tom Cruise has been locked in a public row with actress Brooke Shields over the use and benefits of prescription drugs for depression.
Please Starz whatever... Here is GREAT ADVICE:

When someone says something once, not again, it is heard loud and clear.

As something keeps getting repeated and posted, the message becomes insignificant and dull.

As a result, The post becomes "static" and "irrelevant."  

Thus, people will scroll down quickly and skip your "nickname's comments."

Just an F Y I~
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area