Depression/Mental Health Forum

Lexapro and Weight Gain

I worked as a relief worker at the World Trade Center disaster and developed a case of PTSD.  After a couple of years suffering from all this I was told to use Lexapro.  It has worked but my feelings are numbed out.  Also and this is very difficult for me.  I have gained 30 pounds.  If I go off this drug will it help me lose this unwanted weight?
There are several things you can do.  Ask your doctor about decreasing the dose.  If you decide to go off the medication, be sure to go off slowly over three weeks.  Yes, that will help you with the weight gain and your feelings will not be as numb but you'll still have to deal with the tendency to use food as a way to make yourself feel better, which is the emotional eating issue.
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area