This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal
Re: I Need Help
Posted By HFHS M.D.-TB on April 20, 1999 at 17:31:03
Topic Area: Personality Disorder
My friends think I am schizophrenic and I am not sure I disagree with them. I have major mood swings and I can be two totally different people at any given time! I don't remember what the other has done either! I pissed off my best friend and didn't even know I had done or said anything because I could not remember what had happened. I don't drink nor do I take drugs. I don't know what's wrong with me but it is getting worse and my parents are getting more and more annoyed with these mood swings I have. It's gotten to the point where they have disowned me! I don't know what's wrong with me. I need help. What do I do? What is wrong with me?

Dear Lindsay, Although I do not have enough information to make an accurate diagnosis, the symptoms you describe do not sound like schizophrenia.  Schizophrenia is characterized by symptoms such as delusions(fixed false beliefs), hallucinations, disorganized speech and behavior and what is termed negative symptoms, such as decreased emotional expression, lack of motivation, etc.  
Mood swings could be a symptom of a depressive disorder, which often times may present with irritability and impaired memory also.  Mood swings can also be found in Bipolar disorder, or what is sometimes termed "manic-depression."  Manic-depression is typically characterized by episodes of mania("highs") and depression("lows").  It can also be associated with irritability and difficulties with memory.  Borderline personality disorder (BPD) can also present with mood swings.  BPD is a pervasive pattern of instable interpersonal relationships, self-image and affect and marked impulsivity developing by early adulthood.  Dissociative identity disorder or multiple personality disorder  involves the presence of two or more distinct identities or personality states, with at least two recurrently taking control of the person's behavior.  There is also inability to recall important personal information that is too extensive to be explained by ordinary forgetfulness.  It is difficult for me to say, as above, whether or
not you may suffer form any of these disorders with the limited information I have.  I would recommend that you see a mental health professional who can take an accurate history and help you in finding the right diagnosis and treatment.  
This information is for educational purposes only and should not replace consultation with a physician.  I hope it has been helpful for you.  If you wish to see a mental health professional at Henry Ford Hospital, please call 1-248-689-7476.

Follow Ups:

Discussion is closed
0 Answers
Page 1 of 1