Depression/Mental Health Forum

Scared of Tardive Dyskenisia

I am tapering off zyprexa. I am now down to 3.75mg from the highest dose, which was 10mg. Lately I have been feeling a compulsion to lick my lips, and my mouth feels a little weird. I am very paranoid that maybe this is a beginning sign of tardive dyskenisia. I am thinking of jumping off at this dose, but when I came off zyprexa before too fast, I ended up in the ER because I was vomiting so much. I don't want that to happen again!
Its very unlikely that you would get tardive dyskenisia when you are lowering the dose....its probably not that, but if it progresses, talk to your doctor about it sooner rather than later.
Well, I wanted to report that my lips still feel very odd. It reminds me of when I ate a bad persimmon once, and they felt sort of numb and dry. But I don't have any involuntary lip or tongue movements (yet). I'm still a little worried, though.
Dyskinesia is usually from high doses over a long period of time.
I have it.To give you an idea of some of the effects..A neurologist
was shocked to see me with a severe tremor in every part of my
body,muscle spasms,suspected respitory effect,chronic migranes etc.
I didn't exactly fit with Parkinsons tests so at that point had
to class me with a different tremor disease.The story goes on and
on.You're right to question what is happening to you.Keep on the
same track with your doctors help.Get other checks done for the
numbness.All the best.
Antipsychotics deplete the body of magnesium, which can result in sleep disorders and facial ticks. Supplementation with magnesium can help to prevent the development of tardive dyskinesia and higher amounts may reverse tardive dyskinesia that has already developed.
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area