Depression/Mental Health Forum

Symptoms ADD or something else?

My 15-yr-old has been dx with ADHD, impulsive type since eight years. Can be very controlling, extremely impulsive, with sheer outbursts of anger. Had to be hospitalized when 12 for destroying the house. Calmed down a bit since. We took him off Ritalin, and strangely outbursts lessened in intensity. Neuro said his brain is prone to "short circuit" after EEG scan. I'm not exactly sure of how to say this.

Refuses to make friends. Has no friends at school. Sticks by himself, stands in school corners alone and has been noticed by staff talking to himself, and even will use the bathroom to do so when crowded. Talks to himself as if he is with someone else, asks questions and then answers them. School staff recently brought it to my attention. I have noticed him in his room speaking almost constantly.

I thought this was odd, but I was ordered to come downto the school last week. My son was caught masturbating in the bathroom in a very weird way. My son seems to behave masochistic sexually, ties ropes around his waist really tight, and uses pictures of cars and other stuff to arouse himself. The sexual activity is very aggressive. I found out why my old VCR was destroyed. He claimed to "manhandle" it sexually. He told me last year he accidentally dropped it, and I believed him. I had relief after telling me he never had such feelings for humans, but shuns human contact. No interest in girls. I am afraid if he is pushed for human contact, it may be aggressive.

He also becomes attracted to certain interests. He has become infatuated with bears, computer equipment, etc.. It all changes over time, and these are like episodes. He will carry pictures of the stuff around with him and converse with it as if it can listen and understand him. He says he knows it can't talk back, but he likes to believe it does. Also complains to be attracted to shapes of objects, like his bedroom door. Talks to these things, and believes the environment is somehow attached to him.

I just talked to his therapist today, believe he may have some sort of PDD. Unsure right now if he even has ADD. So, i'm like confused. He tried to hide the sexual part of this until now, when he got caught in school. I have always known him to talk to himself. I think it's a bit more than just security blankets now. Doc wants to put him on tegretol or possibly mellaril.

Is this typical ADD behavior or something else? Is Mellaril or tegretol used for this kind of behavior?
This is definetly not typical Add behavior, and sounds much more serious.  I don't know who the therapist is or what doctor you are referring too, but I would highly recommend that your son see a psychiatrist who is experienced with adolescents, and hopefully assosiated with a good treatment facility at a university.  This is serious enough that almost anything might happen, so getting him into the hands of someone experienced and well trained in these matters is critical, and should be done sooner rather than latter.
I AGREE W/ MD !! WHY DOES EVERYONE THIS DAY AND TIME GO TO FAMILY PRACTITIONER FOR PSYCHIATRIC ISSUES? NO WONDER PSYCHTROPIC MEDS ARE OVERLY PERSCRIBED!!IT'S NOT ADD/ADHD!! SYMPTOMATICALLY SOUNDS A BIT LIKE SOME FORM OF DELLUSIONAL DISORDER/OR SCHIZOPHRENIA!GOOD LUCK!!GET HIM THERE ASAP!!
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area