Dermatology Community
53.5k Members
Avatar universal

Skin irritation on inner thigh

I have a very painful growth at the top of my thigh, not in the crease, but close to it. It looks like a large pimple. Very red and sensitive to the touch. It has appeared just before my menstrual period starts, grows and then "explodes" with pus and some blood. It has occurred for the past few months, consistently. I'm nervous about seeing a doctor, mainly because I'm not sure which kind of doctor to go see. Gynecologist? General Practitioner? Dermatologist? Any ideas what it is?
2 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139
The symptoms are suggestive of boils. A boil generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus. Finally, the pus "forms a head," which can be surgically opened or spontaneously drain out through the surface of the skin.

Apply warm compresses on the boil and keep the area clean. Drainage of the boil is done only when it becomes soft and forms a head. Take some over the counter pain reliever and apply a topical antibiotic cream like Neosporin and consult a doctor for examination and antibiotics prescription.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Avatar universal
Thank you for confirming that this is a dermatological problem. I was worried, since it was so close to the genital area, that it would be something related. I have been using hydro-cortisone cream, and also read something online about baby powder being an irritant, if used too frequently. So, I have stopped with the powder use! The area is still a bit red, but not swollen or sensitive.
I was wondering about your thoughts on denim... I have a casual job, and wear jeans on a daily basis. Not too tight, but close-fitting. Could this cause extra irritation to that area? Thanks for your help!
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions