False negative on rapid test

My son had Type A flu for a week. Ran 101 - 103 temps., lost seven pounds. Then he called from school with a headache, stomach ache, and felt like he was going to be sick. I took him to the doctor. He said his spleen is enlarged, and his throat is red with pus pockets. Was negative for strep and mono. He is running the other mono test that takes a week to get back. How often is the rapid test inaccurate? What else could it be if it's not mono?
Thank you.  He also has a long medical history. He was born premature, has had VSD repair done as an infant, was on growth hormone shots, etc.
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0
It sounds like classic mono symptoms.  I am not sure about the exact accuracy of the rapid test, but know the other test which takes longer is more accurate.  If he only had the symptoms for a week, it is possible that the rapid test would not have picked up on the mono infection that early.
Keep us posted on his results