Eye Care Community

Flashing lights after retinal detachment surgery

I had retinal detachment surgery just over a week ago now.  A few days ago I started getting flashing lights again (same as the ones I got prior to surgery) at the top corner of my eye.  This started with a few flashes so I went to see my surgeon who checked my eye and said it all looked ok.  But now 4 days later the flashing is on and off all day.  Is this normal? I phoned my local hospital and they said they would see me at the eye clinic on wednesday but I'm worried sick that - a) I have another detachment or b) I will always have these lights flashing and just have to put up with it.  Can you please tell me why I would be getting these lights? and am I right to be worried sick?

I would love to hear from anyone else who's gone through the same thing.
Flashes means there is still traction present.  It could lead to another tear.  No treatment for flashes until a tear occurs or the flashes resolve.

Dr. O.
What would cause the traction? and Do you mean it is possible it will settle down and the flashes will just stop? I'm hoping for this rather than another tear.  And if I was unfortunate to get another tear could it be treated by laser rather than eye surgery again? many thanks for your advice
A retinal tear is caused by vitreous traction.  Even if you had a vitrectomy some vitreous remains.  The traction can decrease with time or create anther tear.

Dr. O.
I have seen my eye clinic since my last post and luckily for me there is no new tear or detachment.  The flashes have been explained by the doctor as by being caused by the scar tissue I have after my retinal detachment surgery.  I have been advised that they should stop in the next couple of weeks or so.  Phew! What a relief - I hope this infor may help others.
It has helped me thank you.
I had retinal detachment surgery in April of 2005 when I was just 35 in my left eye.  It does take a long time to heal.  I was told not to use the computer for at least two weeks after surgery.  I could not wear my contact lenses for at least two months because they made me dizzy.  I feel it took 6 months to really heal.  Rest a lot and take it easy.   I stayed home from work for two weeks, but I should have stayed home at least three.  I had the gas bubble and the surgery.  My vision has maintained, but I do have floaters.  
HI There! I had vitrectomy Dec. 23, 2016. My question is… my gas bubble disappeared Saturday! Hooray. But, now I see a red patch in my lower left field of vision. I saw this from the beginning, and Dr. told me to ignore it. Then I didn’t see it. Then it came back last week, days before my bubble left. And it has a bit of a flare or glow to it. I have seen a series of glowing lights when I am in a dark room, which I blamed on the glowing gas bubble. The doc said to not worry about it “as long as you have your gas bubble.” But I still see it, and in fact, it seems more apparent. Did you have something like this? I suspect the red patch is the self-dissolving stitches or something. My doctor is not really good at explaining. I think all vitrectomy patients should have a support group. Like…”did you see this?” or “did you have this?”

Any words of wisdom would really be great. I need to calm the heck down, I know!
Thanks for your comment - its good to hear from someone who has gone thru the same thing although I didn't have the bubble - I had the surgery.  Unfortunately I did not have a very communicative surgeon and was told very little (although I can't fault his surgery skills) I wasn't told what I could or couldn't do or how long healing would take.  I am still experiencing the flashing lights which is a problem but I am hopeful it will stop in the next couple of weeks as I was advised.  I can't believe you still get floaters 5 years on, how do you deal with it or do you get used to them? Its nice to hear that your vision is good and I am pleased for you.  At the end of the day we are very lucky as some people lose their sight completely.  I am still blurred but its definately got a bit better 2 weeks on from the surgery.