Eye Care Community

would this cause my eyes to get worse

ok, so the other night my brother and I were talking. he brought up my bad vision (no clue why), and what could cause it. my eyes started to go bad (near vision) when I was about 10-12 years old. the first time I went to the eye doctors (I'd already needed glasses for a year) I was 13 and I got -2.00 (or there abouts) prescriptions in both eyes, the next time I went (5 years later) my vision was R -4.5 w/ astigmatism, L3.75 w/o astigmatism. when I was about 11 or 12 I became a voracious reader, reading all the time. (I'm always moving though, even when I'm reading, or even typing this out). and I know I don't follow the take a break every 30 minutes rule (heck some times hours pass without me realising it), but I also know my eyes aren't ever completely focused on my book (because I move around so much I move my head/eyes, to make sure I don't spill anything, or something like that).
but would the amount I read (+3hrs/day) or time I spend on the comp (1-6/day (accumulated, not all at once)) effect my vision all that much?
here's some good news though... in the last year, while my eyes have gotten worse they didn't get worse enough to get a new prescription :-D.
It's likely your reading plays only a minor part in your need for glasses. People that don't read also get myopic and astigmatism. As long as the eyes are healthy and you see with glasses its not a problem
JCH MD