Horrible malodorous flatulence smell, even if I'm not farting?!

This problem is ruining my life. My fart stinks like omg, and when I am not farting, I release gases involuntarily which smells like fart/poop/sewage.

I am a student, male, 16, who discovered this problem about half a year ago. I fart many times a day and very often. Worse, I smell like I continously release sewage gas from my anus, even though I do not have any feeling of farting. The smell is really horrible and since I am not able to sense that I'm farting (during the period of involuntary flatus leakage/discharge/emission), I really do question whether the smell came from my rectum or not. Contracting my anal muscles to keep the gas from coming out do not really help, and often makes it worse.

Personally, I find the smell hard to bear with. And if that is the case for me, I am sure it will be worse for others. Those around me even use their fingers to cover their noses, and they often breathe in and exhale deeply and uncomfortably which makes me really guilty that I'm causing them to suffer. Many people cough when they sit with me as well. I do feel apologetic deep in my heart, but I can only pretend as if nothing has happened, although my peers have already identified me as the stink bomb.

The problem started half a year ago, and it went away for about 2-3 months. It resurfaced once again this few weeks. I have been unable to identify the exact cause of the problem, but having researched on flatulence issues, it could be one of the following:

- Diet (include excessive sulfur-containing food intake, food intolerance, food allergies)
- Bacterial imbalance
- Physically damaged anus which causes gas discharge

Observations:
- The problem is worst when I am at school
- My feces stink as well

I worry much more about the foul smell of my flatus than its quantity, since the horrible smell caused much inconvenience and annoyance to others. I really want to get rid of the problem and know the reason why it is occurring. When I'm out, I cannot concentrate on the things I am doing. People are avoiding me, and I am also avoiding them to prevent them from suffering. I don't know what to do and I am emotionally depressed because I think that my problem is worse than a disability, in that it affects others with my malodorous flatuence and involuntary discharge.

I have read several posts on the site related to my problem and there are a few people who have the same problem as me. I hope that I will soon find a cure for my problem so that I can have a social life again. Best of luck to those with the same problem as me too.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have had this problem for about half a year now, and I'm turning 16 in a few months. It's barely noticable or just not there if I'm at home and it's worst when I'm at school. I've noticed it sometimes being paired with stress, nervousness and sudden hot "waves" that come with wafts of the smell. My family doesn't smell it and I haven't really noticed other people say something directly about it, but I'm sure the smell is coming from me. Sometimes it's a sewage odor, sometimes fecal. It's weird because I've never had any problem with smelling bad (apart from being sweaty) until half a year ago, just after school started again. I'm not even farting (that I know of) and I smell! I already know I need to make changes to my diet, because the last couple of weeks I've been feeling bloated and I'm just not very healthy atm. Could the smell have something to do with skipping breakfast? I'll try to experiment, but please let me know if anyone's found something that works.
Helpful - 3
Hello everyone I'm a victim of this horrible smell as of right now. I'm depressed out of this world. I meet a girl that I really want to see but can't because of this odor. People around me instantly rub their nose ,cough, or show some sign that they smell an odor. I'm a 23 yr old young man who everyone loved to be around and get extra close to talk to. Now they discreetly avoid me or can't stick around long enough for a conversation. I've lost all self esteem, confidence, and ego. I live in Miami where its hot as hell everyday which makes it worse. Reading everyone story makes me feel human again because I'm not the only one. I eat almost two bowls of cereal at night wake up gassy. Literally I would not be farting and I would smell like it. I went to clubs and people would stare with a stank look haven't went back since. I work at a luxury car dealership and my co workers know its me stanking up the place.if your going through this you understand my pain and suffering. People can't breathe when their around me. I really hope the cure is produced and I can live my life again.
Helpful - 3
I understand your pain I'm experiencing the same thing doctors think it's in your mind and diet.Tried all of those things I'm looking to Jesus to help me with this condition and or give visions to the Doctors on what is the cause so stay encouraged the best you can and remember your not by yourself God Bless.
You mentioned that you eat cereal every night and wake up gassy. Ask your doctor to test you for dairy allergy. Google it that can make you smell really bad. I hope this helps you!  
Try to mix 1 cup of organic apple cider vinegar with 2 cups of water and keep in the refrigerator. Drink 3 spoons every morning with your empty stomach, and at night before you go to bed. Also, don’t drink anything while you are having your meals.
Don’t drink any soda or juice. Drink water with a lime.
Also drink camomile and green tea.
Helpful - 1
Let me share my testimony I dealt with this problem since 2012 when I had my first daughter I dealt with a fishy odor first. I went from job to job none of my family could smell it but other people could I was depressed. I didn't wanna go no where I just wanted to be by myself. I went to several doctors and they couldn't give me a answer I lost hope I just new I was gonna die. My mother was my only friend she was there for me threw the whole way. Then it went from a fish smell to a fart. I got a referral to see a GI doctor they found bacteria in my system and I was on a lot of antibiotics and I had to change up my eating habits. One day I decided that I didn't wanna deal with it no more so I went to god and prayed and prayed and I decided to get baptised. Now I must say the smell really came when I smoke cause I was a heavy smoker so I asked God to heal my body so I got baptised and when I got out the water I didn't have that problem again. Now that was God I was 20 nobody but God. Now I'm 24 and I slipped up and started back smoking again didn't never think in a million years that it would come back and now here I am again dealing with the uncontrolable gas again after god had deliver me already and I just had a baby and she is 2 months I just recently let my job tryna get paper explaining what's going on cause they don't understand I have a bf that don't understand why I'm crying a lot it has gotta to that point that I kinda lost hope but I know at the end of the day it was my fault for picking up smoking again. Basically the moral to my story is god can deliver you from it when I first experience it I didn't think other people had this problem I thought I was unnormal or something. But now I'm learning from my mistakes and I'm taking it a day at a time. Tryna stay positive and keep my faith cause god did bring me out of it before and I know he can do it again. So now I have two kids to live for. And I'm here to tell you that god is a forgiving god and he will never leave you nor forsake you. Even though I missed up twice and I'm going threw this again I'm glad it now as bad as it was the first time cause it could've been worst. I'm just thanking God for giving me another chance and you live and learn. But I just wanna encourage everyone that is going threw this problem you are not alone take it from someone that's been threw it twice. Even when you think God is not listening he is always there. So yes don't give up there are ways to get rid of it but it won't work unless you trust God to do it for you. I love each and everyone of you and I pray god give you peace and strength and healing in the name Jesus I pray Amen.
Helpful - 1
I loved your testimony. i myself dealt with involuntary excessive farting and no one understood what i was going through, not friends or family. It cause me to feel depressed and I withdrew from everyone. I turly believe  Jesus Christ is the  deliver of all. Thanks for sharing p.s your not alone
Gone on their on. I came to the conclusion that all of the extra gas and air thats trapped creates pressure. I was getting this pain in the left side of my stomach where all the gas was accumulated, Ur body looks for ways to relieve that. (Internal hemmorroids) which creates a lil opening that allows the gas to pass thru ur rectum and (external hemmorroids ) which then release the gas thru ur anus. U might not even know u have hemmorroids I didn't if it wasn't for the colonoscopy I would've never known I had them. The awful smell is because of the mucus I believe. Mucus is really bad. If ur interested in knowing more about all the bad stuff excess of mucus does to ur body. I recommend u read the mucusless healing system. It changed my life. Well  I hope this can be of help for somebody out there that's suffering just like I was. Don't give up. There's a solution for everything if u keep looking. If u have any questions or just want to talk to a fellow gas survivor lol  hit me up. Ur not alone there's always someone that's willing to help. XD
Helpful - 1
Hi there, you have described exactly what I have with the post nasal drip and the pain in left side just under ribcage, I also had hemmeriods years ago so I am thinking that maybe I am on to something reading your post, I will try that book cause I have been suffering with this a very long time, depressed out of this world and just met a girl who I really like who doesn't know about this problem...yet, hopefully find a cure before I lose her, thanks for posting
I've dealt with this and studied it for a awhile. I thought it was sleep deprivation at first, or diet, but wasn't. The one trigger that stands out to me the most is masterbating too much, like more than three times a day. Don't know what it is or why, but that's what is is.
Helpful - 0
Have you tried eliminating things in your diet? they also have colon cleansing products that you could look into. there are certain foods that could make you do that but there are also foods that would clean your system out and might eliminate your problem. I think we all have had the sewege smell at one time or another and it usually comes from what we eat. I personally like to torture my kids with it but all joking aside, you should look into the colon cleansing products or foods.
Helpful - 0
hi there..i have the same problem..except mine is a smell of ******** (or some weird kind of **** odor) i have no idea what caused it..at first i smelled a sweet fishy odor for maybe 3 months..cant really recall..but it transitioned into a smell of a moose...then ********...then dog ****..then back to ********...it's been a year now i'd had this problem..i dont think its the novo virus..maybe its and issue with muscle strengthe in the anus and possible shift of my tailbone affecting the anus muscles causeing the smell to leak...but WHY does the smell spread for about a block in my neighbor hood..im a sharp guy..and i'v noticed quite a few people with it...some are like skunks that you do not want to be behind..they emit a strong putrid odor that sprays form behind them when they bend over...and others like me..give off a light smell that reaches far...mine is extremely light..and can actually be appealing..but the smell can go for a mile..literally..i kid you not..it's a bizarre phenomenom..and i dont know what to do...i would hate to have a doctor anal probe me..because i'm homo-phobic..if anyone has and interesting imputon facts or oppinions on what they think it is..plz sign up and post a reply..ty fyi i am not sure if it was from contaminated water, a hand shake..or contaminated food..but this truelly is bizarre..the range of which this smell can go will make you question sanity and physics of smell
Helpful - 0
i feel so bad for you.but i do understand. he same exact age it happened to me.life was a nightmare . maybe we could share info .
Helpful - 0
I am a 17 yr old girl and I noticed this problem at the beginning of this school year. I don't understand it at all... I was in my biology class and all of a sudden I smell a feces/fart like odor, even though I literally don't feel like I farted. In fact, I thought it was the guy next to me that farted the first time it happened. I only realized it was me after it happened a few more times in the same class (which is in the morning).
It's horrible... there's no sound or even feeling, but then the stink comes like out of nowhere. Also, I went to a foreign country this summer and had SEVERE constipation and diarrhea. I'm thinking that maybe this is why it started.
It's so embarrassing  b/c it travels so far. So far it's only happened to me in this class but I'm afraid it'll start happening in other classes.
Helpful - 0
i am having something similar, but have no idea if it is in my head.  for some reason i smell it most at school as well (i am in college) and it seems to linger in my nose (?).  it's been happening for about three weeks now and have no idea if other people can smell it, they don't seem to stay away, but i am finding myself trying to keep distance while having a conversation or the like.  i have had issues with flatulence but do hold the gas in until i am in private (I've always wondered if that was extremely unhealthy.. i just don't like being rude), but maybe it's bad breath? I really don't want to have intestinal issues.  I do have a back injury- the top half of my spine is shifted forward, leaving a much smaller opening for the nerves to slide up and down, from how my physical therapist puts it- my nerves are extremely tight and some pinched.

this constant waft of foulness that poofs up into my nose became worrisome after about the third day, i started wondering "WTF why do i smell farts wherever i go? i am not farting".. at first i thought maybe it was something in the vent system on campus- but i smell at my home now too, like when i am sitting on the couch or standing in the kitchen. i started worrying that maybe i have something rotting inside, or maybe a sinus infection.

so i have started doing research- and these links looked most promising (especially since i do have an injury causing nerve issues- but damage to the vagus nerve doesn't have to be caused by some big injury from what i understand)

http://www.newhealthguide.org/Vagus-Nerve.html
   -discusses: 5. Peptic Ulcer and 6. Gastroparesis

what if the smell is actually coming from rotting/fermenting foods in the stomach? i remember when i was i kid we would go visit one of my mother's clients who's stomach DID NOT WORK and he was supposed to ingest food directly into his intestines bypassing his stomach. he really missed eating and sometimes would sneak solid food. well, with a non-functioning stomach the food would sit there and start to rot and ferment which caused the amazingly disgusting smell- it would fill the house.

Helpful - 0
Don't take accutane . It damages your liver  and kidneys. It's poison!
Helpful - 0
Hey,
Reading you guys is a big relief since i suffer from the same problem since im 14 years old (i now am 23). I cant give you any solution as i still suffer from it, but here's a few things :

- "Junk" food makes it worse. It got better since i eat balanced food (like 1/3 meat 1/3 vegetables 1/3 carbs). ESPECIALLY avoid fried food, it makes it terrible.
- Psychology seem to be a part of it, since it only happens when im stressed (mostly at school, but it happened at social events).
- I try to drink 2 liters of water a day. One before lunch, and one after.
- It seems to be related to the presence of feces in the rectum. I drink a coffee in the morning and one directly after lunch so that it makes me poop, and reduces the "accidents".

To sum all this up, i'd say its constipation and stress related, with a loss of sensitivity in the rectum (god knows why). So try to eat vegetables and drink enough water to avoid constipation.
Go to the toilets on a regular basis : be late is better than spreading a corpse smell. Sometimes i dont feel that need in my rectum but i feel pain in the lower guts (if you do too, go to the toilet).
Avoid stressful situations as much as possible, or if you cant, try to concentrate and relax.

I sincerely hope we'll get out of this.

P.S : weird thing is that farts that i "feel" do almost never smell like that, and more important "disapear" really faster. Sometimes it happens and that stench follows me for a 100 meters. So i'd just like to know if its the same for you guys.
Helpful - 0
Are you now recovered of this?
Eating glutin free food helped you?
Helpful - 0
I developed this problem after suddenly changing my diet and exercise routeen. I switched from terrable eating habits to a paleo palette. Then, suddenly, I had everything you describe; sulfur smelling gas that not only wreaked, but lingered to the point where clothes and rooms would retain the smell for days. It was terrible. However, I had a few other symptoms too that pointed me in the right direction. The problem - poor amount of digestive enzymes and insufficient fiber intake. My body couldn't handle the new, complex foods I was giving it, even though they were healthy. Now, every morning, I have a breakfast shake with two heaping scoops of plain, powdered fiber, a colon probiotic and an enzym supplement. The very first day, the gas diminished to almost nothing (and I was tooting every five minutes, even at night). My stomach felt better, the abdominal pain went away and it got better every day afterward. You can get all the supplements and fiber at the Vitamin Shoppe.
Helpful - 0
could you also give us the brand names for all that you've tried and it worked?
Helpful - 0
i have the same problem i'm now 17 year old girl and this is destroying my social life as i don't want to embarrass myself i just avoid all situations like going to school and meeting friends. i don't have lactose intolerance neither gluten intolerance as i have been tested for those due to this horrible situation. if anyone has any tips to get rid off this i would appreciate them all! i have also noticed that this has something to do with stress. but it also occurs when i am relaxed, just less often.  
Helpful - 0
google IBS irritable bowel syndrome. you might have it it's not dangerous :) but it's 's not pleasant :( hope this helps!
Helpful - 0
I feel like i have the same problem, but i cant smell it myself. i hear people talk about a "fart smell" and some even ask if i farted. I immediately deny it and get away from there as soon as possible. I notice my *** will start to sweat and get hot. The smell quickly follows i assume because people are usually commenting on the smell. Im not sure if its in my head or not because ive had too many coincidences. I wash extra good down there and use excessive deoderant. IDK what to do,
Helpful - 0
I can't express with words the relieve I feel after reading all of u guys post. Im a male, 26 yrs old and I too have the same issue, (farting without knowing or feel it) Is it possible??? Of course it is!!! I've been dealing with this issue for almos a year now,I mean I become aware of it a yr ago. although looking back in my life I prob had this problem since childhood. I remember friends saying omg! There's something dead inside of u! And I will laugh about it, thinking daware of the big big problem that will The weird thing is I've never smell  it, I know it happens because of the comments of co-workers and ppl in my life, I have seen so many differents doctors, that didn't have anything
Helpful - 0
I'm sorry my phone died in the middle
Helpful - 0
And I will laugh about it saying blame it on me! Unaware of the big big test I will have to face later on life. I said test because this issue has made me see life in a very different way. I'll get to that later..
I visited many doctors with no positive results, at 1 point I was feeling worst than before with all the meds I was giving. I fell into Depresion I didn't want to be around anybody I quit my job, I'm a cook so u guys can imagine how difficult that was, I stayed hm for almost a month. Crying and feeling like dying. Really tough times for me, I thank god my mom was by my side thru all of this,the  only person in the world that understand what I was going thru.she will said we'll get thru this as her eyes will filled with tears. After many tries she got me to try natural medicine cause she believes herbs and fruits are the best thing u can put in ur body. Having tried pretty much everything else I decided to try it . I got this colon cleanse thing and a couple other stuff, I have to say that it made me feel way better although the gas was still present, all of my others stomach issues were slowly diminish until completely gone. Side note: plants are the best thing u can put in ur body trust me! Have u seen a dog eat grass?? It helps settle their stomach.. So there's that
So after trying the natural medicine i felt with so much energy I felt the desire to live again. I tried going back to society but the gas problem was still present, this time I wasn't going to give up, damn u gas!!! I'm the only 1 in control of my life I thought. With that mind set I research every single thing I thought  could be the culprit. And started examinating myself from head to toe. And found 3 possible  culprits at least in my case, which I think could be the case of lots of u guys cause we have pretty much the same problem which is involuntary gas. #1 post nasal dripping  in my case it's cause by allergies so it makes me swallow a great amount of mucus throughout the day mucus contains bacteria and when It hits ur stomach it creates gas so it's normal if u feel gassy and bloated after swalloing a good amount of mucus throughout ur day. #2 swalloing air in my case I used to breath thru my mouth because my nose was congested pretty much all day everyday. U guys r prob wondering how the f*** the gas leakes or escapes without u noticing or feeling it. In 1 of my many visits to the so called doctor. Sorry to say that but many of them don't give a f*** they just want to get u out of the office ASAP and of course take ur money. Not all of them! But most. So in 1 of my many visits a doctor recommends a colonoscopy to see if there was something wrong in there. I did it and the results were normal he said I didn't have anything that could be causing my gas issue. Ohhh he added u have internal and external hemmorroids like I was nothing he said they were really small and that they will be f
Helpful - 0
My name is Joshua, I am 15 and am attending high school as a sophomore. I developed this problem this school year after noticing a constant farting smell during class. At first I denied it was me and thought it was somebody else around me until I didn't attend school one day and noticed the smell still lingering around me. I have been researching on this uncontrollable flatulence problem for quite some time now and have seen many ideas that I am willing to take into consideration.

The farts that surround me are not extremely foul smelling but are indeed noticeable, and it frightens me thinking that they could develop and become rancorous. I want to rid of this problem as soon as possible but there is nothing I can do about it. I spoke to my father about the problem and he told me it was my diet. So I started taking "crap" foods out of my diet, starting with candy, soda, and any sugars that can do harm to my body. I researched it some more and thought the problem was me developing Lactose Intolerance. So I took lactose products out of my diet as well (Which was very hard for me due to being a huge milk fan). As I noticed that the stench was still around I consulted my father furthermore and he said just stay on the diet a little more and if it is still there we will go to the doctors.

If anybody has any advice for me that would be wonderful. I am praying that I dont have IBM or IBD or any other harmful disease. I will keep you updated on what is happening with my problem and see if anything is helping.
-Josh
Helpful - 0
I am so sorry this is happening to you. This same problem has happened to me before and made me lose my self esteem, but after researching you might be having this problem because of severe constipation. Scientists have proven that with severe constipation the smell can seep through your pores and cause you to smell like feces, but if you have been smelling like this for over a year you should check in your doctor for TMAU. Overall I think you should get enough fiber in your diet with many healthy fruits and veggies, plus try taking laxatives, and plenty of water to help remove congested hard stool from you stomach.
I have noticed this problem for the past year now. What I have noticed is that I can smell the smell when I am around large amounts of people and become quite hot, but sometimes I do smell it when I am with one or two people, even by myself. I wash all the time. I sometimes think that it's in my head but then I think that it cannot be a coincidence all of the time.  I have become more and more paranoid and think that people must think that I am doing it on purpose, I  have lost all self confidence even though I often get lovely comments about my looks, I have not chosen to get a boyfriend because of it. My diet in general is quite bad. Major coke drinker, chips, chocolate, fried foods. Even when I do change my diet the smell is still there however. Feel literally like ****
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem