Heart Rhythm Community

Does SVT curtail exercise?

Was diagnosed with SVT today after wearing a recording monitor for 2 weeks which clearly showed skipped, rapid
heart beats. It seemed I was most calm, even at rest, when the events occurred.Just beginning to gather information about this. I had been on Toprol for 2 weeks, but doctor determined I should take Verapamil now, since I have
had some asthmatic type breathing symptoms for nearly a year (connected with esophageal reflux and post
nasal drip) and Toprol could interfere with lungs.
I am scheduled for an angiogram next Thursday to check for blockages. Basically in good health, never had heart
problems before. Heart history: my 96 yr. old mother had pacemaker put in after heart attack 4 years ago. All her arteries
are blocked yet she is seldom short of breath.  Dad died of atheriosclorosis (sp?) at 87 with no check ups or doctor visits. I am a female in late 60's and wondering if SVT curtails your ability to exercise. I like to walk, swim, do Tai Chi, yoga stretches (carefully) and wish I could still jump rope, well, silly dream.     Thanks for reading and responding.
JA
I'm 60 with a history of lifelong SVT events until me recent ablation.  The fact that SVT is present in your life certainly doen't mean you need to curtail excercising.  But, if you have an event DURING exercising, it will certainly curtail whatever you're doing at the moment!  By the way, for me Toprol (Metoprolol) did little to prevent episodes. With Verapamil, you're now getting into some serious, Class IV meds.  Be aware of any odd behavior with your heart rhythm, and report it immediately to your physician. Keep in mind that there are other alternatives to drug therapy.  Many of us opt to go after the root cause of the event through an electrophysiology study, and ablation.  It sounds like your family is long lived, so this would be a very good option for you instead of taking meds.
I have only had 2 episodes and was never told not to exercise. I am pretty sure (though I am not a doc) that you can still exercise. My episodes were not during exercise.
Thank you both for your very helpful answers; I am going to resume exercise and
I appreciate the reminder not to be a slave to pills when there might be alternative
ways to deal with this condition. DId you have an ablation Tom?
I've had SVT episodes since I was 12 and am now 51.  Was told originally it was hormones (being adolescent) and not to concern myself over it.  And never have.  The last 5 years-ish have have recurrent episodes, although infrequent, have always needed that I go into hospital to get an injection of Adenisone as I can no longer use other physical methods to slow heart-rate.  I've now had this condition for nigh on 40 years (next year's the anniversary!  lol) and have always been told that it's not a problem.  That's been fine but recently have been 'given a row' over waiting 15 minutes before calling an ambulance - advice given some years ago by hospital after an episode.  What concerns me, aka, sort of freaked me out, is that I was told to phone ambulance immediately, otherwise I risked complete circulatory collapse.  Didn't know that one, so looked it up...  apparently, not quite a heart attack, but to all intents and purposes, might as well be.  Joy - er, not...  Feck that one.  And to be honest?... feck the consultant that I saw...  2nd one, and even younger than the first.  I do not want to be on beta-blockers for the rest of me puff.  Would rather try the ablation - well, it's supposed to be 85-95% effective.  She, the consultant, said that she thought medication was the best optionn - and that any side effects could be sorted by changing brand/medication.  Hmmmmm.....  As we say here - "feck that for a carry on....."   Am now on max dose of atenolol and still getting episodes and also now increased episodes of SVT - c.r.a.p. I am just so feckin' annoyed.  I want it sorted!!!  I think 39 years is maybe enough???    Grrrrrrrrrrr,,,,
oops - not so brilliant at working out posting....  apologies for the 2 posts of the same moan.  Although, am just a bit hacked off, so saying it twice maybe ain't such a bad thing...  and any comments welcome.  It is good to get hacked off and have a 'spill' - and everyone else is more than welcome to have a moan back, or a hacked off schpeil (? - is that how you spell it???) back, or a downright grump.  Nothing like a proper grump.  Grumps rule...