Hepatitis C Community

Liver Diet

Low sodium, no red meat, no liquor, no smoking.  Doing all of those.  Not a drinker or smoker. Does anyone have a diet guideline for someone with end stage liver disease and Hep C?
  What's recommended is a healthy heart diet for people with hep C,I would add on to your list no fatty foods especially deep fried foods it's as bad as alcohol to your liver.Adding curcumin supplement with bioavailability wouldn't hurt.I am not familiar with end stage liver disease.I think your best bet to get a better answer would be posting your question in the cirrhosis forum.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Cirrhosis-of-the-Liver/show/1390
I would add exercise and several other supplements to that regime.
Copyman is right. I took an essential multiple vitamin without iron, ALA, omega fish oi, turmeric, and several others. The important thing about any supplements is to take the ones without other additives that your liver has to filter out.

When you can walk, walk. If you can do yoga, do it. Any and all movement is good.

Egg whites and tofu are good for albumin levels. You need protein so do eat beans, chicken and fish. Flax meal is good for adding to smoothies and oatmeal, too.

If I can find my old dietary guidelines, I'll post them.
Please make an appointment with the dietitian at your transplant center. I had a diet tailored for me 3 years ago and I have been following it since. Along with exercise and my meds it has made a world of difference in the quality of life I have.

Only a dietitian that works with End-Stage liver patients can create a diet for your particular medical needs. We don't know the details of your health status. Ascites, varices, HE, sodium calcium balance, kidney function etc. What might be good for one person ESLD patient could be deadly in another with ESLD. What to eat what to avoid. Small meals, protein drinks to help stop the loss of muscle mass.

For persons with END-Stage Liver Disease all diet changes (including vitamins of supplements), meds changes, treatments of any kind must be approved by your hepatologist first. Patients like myself with decompensated cirrhosis and you with ESLD have high mortality rates. An over-the-counter drug that others on the forum cant take without any danger can cause life-threatening internal bleeding, kidney failure or liver failure. That is why all changes must go through the transplant center. Not following transplant center protocols can result in removal from the transplant waiting list and poor outcomes. We are in a fight for our very lives. One bleed out, HE coma, infected ascites fluid (spontaneous bacterial peritonitis, SBP), can be it for us. That is how we die from the complications from liver failure not liver failure itself.

Call your transplant center coordinator tomorrow and tell them you want help with your diet.

Good luck!
hector
In addition to the above, I have read that organic fruits and vegetables is recommended when possible.
Advocate1955
TU all..see transplant co-ord and doc for 1st clinic re transplant. Will ask for dietician then. Am basically vegetarian..with bacon lapses. Bake it. Had to ween self off steak and beef all year and fried foods. Swear I can smell a cooking steak or french fry miles away. LOL. Just got a Nutrabullet from my brother for Xmas and have a Montel W. blender. Love fruit, juices & vegetables.  I try to watch fruit intake because of sugars. Have gotten into roasting veggies and eating raw. Love soups but will try to get better at making from fresh ingredients to reduce sodium/sugar intake. I absolutely love Cuban, Indian and Thai foods...love spices and spicy food. (Bet that will be a no-no)Take Omega, CoQ10 - 300, a fruit full anti-oxidant, prescribed VitD-2 1.25 MG (50,000 Unit) twice a week, daily zinc and potassium. Thanks for your help...will let you know what they say.  Oh, and exercise...I do walk...have a 8# toy poodle who is a fetching, running, walking maniac...I use to teach yoga and was a dance teacher after 18 years of lessons...now doing his walks or the dishes is an exercise.  Use to being highly active so this is driving me nuts.