Hepatitis C Community

Relationships since Hep C diagnosis?

I know the disease is transmitted through blood to blood contact, and if both people in a relationship are careful, the disease shouldn't spread from the carrier to the uninfected partner. Currently I'm single and just worried that I won't ever meet someone who can look past the fact that I have Hep C. I'm starting to think frequently of getting married and having a family. I certainly feel obligated to inform potential partners of my disease. Does anyone with the disease have any positive or negative experiences with relationships after they were diagnosed? I'd like to know what to expect.
I HAD Hep C for more than 40 years, and have been married a year plus longer than that and my husband has never had the virus.when I was diagnosed, our family Dr had my husband tested - he was negative then and, when I just reached SVR in June 2015, he had him tested again, same result.  Doctors do not even recommend sexual protection for monogamous couples, especially, long term relationships.  I suggest that, if you begin a new relationship, you be very careful about using protection, for STDs, rough sex, etc, and to give your partner confidence.  When and if the relationship becomes serious, and before it becomes permanent, tell your partner.  If you were female, I would add further, that there might be some - small - concern for children, but since it is blood to blood contact, I do not believe the father has any chance of passing on the virus.

Bless you for thinking about these things and being careful of future partner and family.

Pat
It might help to post this on the hep C forum, however many, many people have has the virus for years, without knowing it and did not pass it on to their spouses of children.
Oops, I'm sorry about the beginning of this comment, I've been online too long~lol.
Sexual transmission in married couples have less than a 2% risk. Have you considered treating with the new DAA's so you don't have to worry about giving the virus to someone else?

I've been married for many years and no one in my family has HCV. Wishing you the best.
The truth is if you find the right guy it won't matter.  When I was Hep C+ my man could care less.  We never practiced safe sex as we were together irregardless.  I cleared my virus and he remained Hep C free.  The only Caveat is if you are in a new relationship you need to be honest.  If he runs for the hills, then he's not your man.
The sooner you find out the better.
......Kim
Just to add there are new treatments approved in the last year that can cure hep c for most like 98%. The treatment is much better tolerated, most reporting minimal side effect. Treatment could be as simple as 1 pill a day for 8  or 12 weeks and you are cured. I had to take Harvoni for 24 weeks because I have cirrhosis and I am now free of hep c.

So do yourself a favor see your doctor, get treated, get cured. Then you don't have any thing to discuss unless you want to.

Good Luck