A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members
2038871 tn?1329801810

blood results

my AFT TUMOR MARKERS (R) result is 25.1 flagged as high is this indicative my liver has gone into cancer?? They sent my bloodwork results to me and wont see Dr until the 14th of may
14 Responses
Serum alpha-fetoprotein levels in patients with advanced hepatitis C: Results from the HALT-C Trial ☆

"..Background/Aims

Alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) has been useful in the diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) but lacks specificity. We assessed serum AFP among patients with chronic hepatitis C and advanced fibrosis to establish predictors of AFP elevations and changes with antiviral therapy.
Methods

Serum AFP was measured at baseline and on therapy in patients in the Hepatitis C Antiviral Long-Term Treatment against Cirrhosis (HALT-C). AFP levels were correlated with patient demographic and clinical features.
Results

Baseline AFP was ≥20 ng/mL in 191 of 1145 patients (16.6%). Mean AFP values were significantly higher in patients with cirrhosis than in those with bridging fibrosis (22.5 vs. 11.4 ng/mL, P20 ng/mL.
Conclusions

Among patients with advanced chronic hepatitis C, serum AFP values are frequently elevated, even in the absence of HCC. Factors associated with raised AFP include severity of liver disease, female gender and black race. Serum AFP levels decline during antiviral therapy."

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168827805003090

Mike
I inadvertently failed to paste the complete results text. Here it is:

Results

Baseline AFP was ≥20 ng/mL in 191 of 1145 patients (16.6%). Mean AFP values were significantly higher in patients with cirrhosis than in those with bridging fibrosis (22.5 vs. 11.4 ng/mL, P20 ng/mL.
It's not me - it's MH censorship and I cannot figure out why portions are being deleted. One more try:

Factors independently associated with raised serum AFP in patients with cirrhosis were female gender, black race, decreased platelet count, increased serum AST/ALT ratio, serum ferritin, and Mallory bodies in liver biopsies. Serum AFP levels decreased significantly during therapy with pegylated interferon α-2a and ribavirin. HCC was identified in six subjects, only three of whom had AFP>20 ng/mL.
446474 tn?1446351282
As some with liver cancer and who takes an interest in understanding it I can tell you that AFP is NOT used for diagnosing HCC (liver cancer). AFP IS used in COMBINATION with imaging studies to diagnose HCC.

For persons withhepatitis C, first you must has cirrhosis to have an increased chance of HCC otherwise the odds of HCC are extremely low.

AFP is raised in many HCV patients. It does not indicate HCC for them.
25 is low. Numbers in the 100s and increasing over 500 are indicative of HCC.

If you are worried you need imaging done. This is special imaging and should ONLY be done at a transplant center. They do HCC screening on a daily basis. You need a tech who knows how to use the imaging equipment  AND a doctor who knows how to read the results. Only people at transplant centers know how to do this. Any where else the conclusions are dubious.

I have got to run out now. If you have other questions about HCC PM me and I can tell you. I have been study it for almost a year know since I had the first of my 2 HCC tumors.

In my profile I have a chart of my AFP (I think) you can see when I had my tumors my AFP when up and up and then when both tumors were killed by chemo you see my AFP drop off.

Don't worry. It is probably just your HCV causing the rise. There is no rush either to see the doctor HCC is not a fast but a moderately growing cancer.

Ciao
Hector
179856 tn?1333550962
Hector your strength and friendliness with all you are going through never ceases to amaze me.  You are an inspiration.
446474 tn?1446351282
You're too kind...

thx

hector
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.