Hepatitis C Community

heartburn and treatment

lately ive been having really bad heartburn, never had it before i started treatment and i havent changed anything im eating or my diet at all really, just wondering if anyone else ever experienced this during treatment, nothing seems to help.  
Yeah, there have been a number of patients that have complained of this. Mention it too your doctor, he might prescribe something like Nexium, or any one of the PPI (proton pump inhibitor) drugs. They’re well tolerated, and don’t seem to interfere with any of our treatment drugs. If you end up taking something like Tums or Rolaid-type antacids, try to space them away from your ribavirin dosing; avoid them one hour before of two hours after riba, to avoid reducing bioavailability.

Heartburn and GERD are managed by GI docs; at least we’re already seeing one of them anyway, huh :o).

--Bill
thank you bill!
Yes, absolutely.  About 3-4 months into treatment, I had heartburn and gerd.  Have been taking Nexium and very helpful.  I am on the 40mg in the morning and helping.
I was also coughing, which I attribute to Riba and gerd.

Another SX that will pass.  Hope you feel better.
I tried several things for the same condition and found the best (with no side effects) was Aciphex...

Magnum
Katie, the others have made great suggestions about possible meds to look into but I want to add some non-med things that may help a little.  

Try to avoid lying down after eating and going to sleep within a couple of hours of eating. And elevate the head of your bed, if possible.

"■Delay lying down after a meal. Wait at least two to three hours after eating before lying down or going to bed.

■Elevate the head of your bed. An elevation of about six to nine inches puts gravity to work for you. Place wood or cement blocks under the feet of your bed at the head end. If it's not possible to elevate your bed, you can insert a wedge between your mattress and box spring to elevate your body from the waist up. Wedges are available at drugstores and medical supply stores."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heartburn-gerd/DS00095/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies

Susan
Oooh, Susan; good thinking. Prevention is always preferable to treatment, huh? Good ideas. Ktee, you’ll be an expert at this before you know it :o). Good luck with the rest of your treatment,

--Bill