Herpes Community

Cold sores to genital herpes?

Thank you so much for your help with my question. It is so appreciated.

I have had oral cold sores my whole life and get a blister on my lip once or twice a year. After kissing and having oral and vaginal sex with my boyfriend I noticed I had a tingly feeling which soon after became a cold sore blister on my lip. He was concerned that I had given him both oral and genital herpes. He did not get a blister.

I was tested for HSV-1 and 2 and was positive for only HSV-1. He also got tested and was positive for HSV-1, however, he has never had a blister anywhere at anytime. He says he was tested before we met, and was negative.

We have stopped kissing or having oral or vaginal sex completely. He is very worried that we will give each other oral herpes even if there is not a blister present due to viral shedding. The information we have found online is vague and we need facts from an expert.

Could you please advise us about this? What is the likelihood of giving each other genital herpes? Does our sex life need to end?

Thank you very much for helping. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.
you've paid to ask this on 2 experts forums - follow there.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.