Herpes Community
26.6k Members

HSV-1 Blood Test

Hello -

About four months back, I started having symptoms of hsv such as headaches, pain in my groin, and a itching and burning in my vaginal area and buttocks. I immediately thought "Yeast infection" but when I went to the doctors they cultured an area that looked like a rip or tear. The results came back negative for that, only for me to find out they did the wrong lab test on the culture so the results were no good. I then went and had a blood test done at my GP while I was still having symptoms. The blood test came back negative for type 1 and type 2. I later found out that it was too early to tell whether it had shown up or not. I went back about three months later to get another blood test done. My doctor called me a few days later with the results saying I was positive for type 1 but negative for type 2. This would automatically make my incident back four months ago hsv 1 because I have been reading on here, and the blood test only tells you what type you have been exposed to as opposed to where it's at. I have a few questions regarding the test and my future with hsv 1 antibodies.
1. Would this testing positive for type 1 mean that I have it genitally due to the incident a few months ago?
2. If it was type 2, would those antibodies have risen as well as the type 1?
3. What are my chances of transmitting this to new partners if I am using protection at all times?
4. Is this similar to having type 1 on your mouth? Or is the virus weakened now that it is not in its area of preference?
5. What precautions should I be taking from here on out with this?
1 Responses
101028 tn?1419606604
no way to know if this is oral or genital hsv1.  I wouldn't assume anything.  only thing you can do at this point is should you get genital symptoms again, be seen promptly for a lesion culture again of symptoms.

no reason for more hsv2 testing since it's negative at 4 months post encounter.  

grace
Have an Answer?
Herpes Community
26.6k Members
46k Questions
Popular Resources
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.