Herpes Community

What symptoms and signs did you experience with genital herpes?

Early symptoms and signs of genital herpes tend to develop within 3 to 7 days of skin-to-skin contact with an infected person. This 3 to 7 day period is known as the incubation period. Genital herpes infections look like a rash composed of small blisters or ulcers (round areas of broken skin) on the genitals. Each blister or ulcer is typically only 1 to 3 millimeters (1/32 inch to 1/8th inch) in size, and the blisters or ulcers tend to be grouped into "crops." Usually, the blisters form first, then soon open to form ulcers. Herpes infections may be painless or slightly tender. In some people, however, the blisters or ulcers can be very tender and painful.Location of genital herpesIn men, genital herpes sores (lesions) usually appear on or around the penis.In women, the lesions may be visible outside the vagina, but they commonly occur inside the vagina where they can cause discomfort or vaginal discharge and may not be seen except during a doctor's examination.The ulcers or blisters may also be found anywhere around the genitals (the perineum) and in and around the anus.The first outbreak of genital herpesThe first genital herpes outbreak is usually the most painful, and the initial episode may last longer than later outbreaks. Symptoms may last for 2 to 4 weeks.Some people develop other signs of genital herpes infection, particularly with the first episode, including:fever,muscle aches,headaches (may be severe),vaginal discharge or painful urination, andswollen and tender lymph nodes in the groin (these swell as the body tries to fight the infection).Later outbreaks of genital herpesIf the disease returns, later outbreaks generally have much less severe symptoms. Many people with the recurrent disease develop pain or a tingling sensation in the area of the infection even before any blisters or ulcers can be seen. This is due to irritation and inflammation of the nerves leading to the infected area of skin.These are early signs that an outbreak is about to begin. The condition is particularly contagious during this period, even though the skin still appears normal.
I only have outbreaks or even notice that I still have genital herpes when my emotions run high. Like the other day, I became highly stressed and upset due to a miscommunication with another individual. I had already had been feeling a little stressed prior to this but this new situation brought my negative energy level to a different level. I immediately found my vision blurred, I had an upset stomach, I felt feverish and I immediately noticed the next day I had a blister!! I generally am a calm person and notice because of this virus I have to be extra careful with maintaining a positive energy flow.
After having herpes recurrent on my arm for nine years, it was only diagnosed last year. I started having the same symptoms such as headaches and a sore back for the last three years and no rash. I did get sores at the top of my leg by my vagina, which were watery blisters that were painful and itchy. I just thought it was where I had shaved. Now I have a doctor's appointment on Friday. Thanks for your information.
I had genital herpes for about 20 years before it was diagnosed.  I remember the first time I had the lesion, which was in the pubic hair just inside where I have a bikini wax.  I just thought it was an infected hair follicle.  It was itchy and red, with tiny sort of pustules, and after a few days disappeared.  After about the 3rd occurrence, I went to see a gynecologist, and she said it was nothing to worry about.  The lesion continued to occur from time to time over the next 17 or so years, always in the same place, and then last summer I unexpectedly had 3 outbreaks in 3 months, and this time there were two or three lesions close together.  I went to a sexual health clinic, and Herpes Type 2 was diganosed.  I had braced myself for this news, but nevertheless, it was a shock.  I haven't had an outbreak for about 6 months.
Normally a week before the vaginal blisters appear, the skin on my left leg all the way to the top of my thigh and upper buttock tingles and is very sensitive.  I now have outbreaks every months which co-inside with my period.  So I only seem to be symptom free for approx 2 weeks every month now.  My first outbreak was 12 months ago.
I have only had 1 outbreak, but it seemed quite severe.  I had several blisters/lesions on the inner labia of my vagina. The lesions are very painful and took about 2 weeks to go away.  It has been 2 months since the first outbreak and I have had nothing else to report since then.  Even when my stress levels were high, no signs of an outbreak. (which is great, because my hubby does NOT have the virus.. and we are dealing with understanding the HOW I could have gotten this.)
My HSV has bn diagnosed visually.I'm not really but this is the second time I have had the blisters.I have no symptoms apart from the blisters that later developed into lesions that are now healing.I'm on acyclovir orals and ointment.Initial outbreak had no symptoms apart from the blisters which healed.The current one started with strange sensation on the thighs, buttocks n' knees.These later gave way to 3 painless blisters. I'm not so sure if it's herpes bcoz I remember soaking my pants in jik (detergent with bleaching components) which I wore shortly b4 the outbreak.I later wore another shortly b4 the recent outbreak. CAN IT REALLY HERPES?In my active days I would wash my penis with jik n' rinse with clean water after unsafe sex.CLD THIS BE THE AFTERMATH?
I'm a female diagnosed with genital herpes (HSV-2) about 4 years ago, and I did not have classic symptoms. Usually people look at the photos on the Internet of crusted red blisters that scab and cause the entire genital area to swell. I didn't have anything that looked awful or concerning, just a "paper cut" at the opening of my vagina followed by some redness and itching in the area. My OB-GYN thought it was a garden variety yeast infection at first and then when he saw the cut, he figured maybe I got a little too rough with the sexual activity. He rubbed a swab over the area to get a culture and I experienced a stabbing, burning pain. I knew this was not yeast or bacteria! Two days after the culture, pencil eraser sized blisters started to appear on both sides of my vagina, and they looked whitish like canker sores you might find in the mouth. Every time I urinated it burned; pouring a cup of water between my legs helped dilute the urine. I could not sit in a chair comfortably. I also felt tired and had a low-grade fever. Fortunately, my OB-GYN called in Valtrex and within three days of noticing the initial lesion, and I felt better.
I had a 4 year relationship with my boyfriend, but because I was drunk I had sex with my friend.  A week after I had these symptoms like itchy and painful blisters. I went to the doctor and told me that it was an STD. She never mentioned what kind, but upon looking in my record I read it as herpes. Now my boyfriend keeps on asking what was really happened to me, and I have no answers. I just told him my doctor advised me to abstain from sex. I'm ashamed. I regret it. I'm depressed and full of self-pity. The only thing I can do now if accept the situation for what it is.
in every action we had,we always end up with the consequences. i had a 4yr relationship with my boyfriend,but because of alcohol i was drunk and had sex with my friend(whom i know had multiple sex partner). a week after i had these symptoms like itchy and painful blisters. and gone to the doctor and told me that it was STD. she never mentioned what kind of std it was but upon looking in my record i read it as "herpes". so no doubt, it was genital herpes. and now my boyfriend  keep on asking what was really happened to me,no answers. i just told him my Dr. advise to abstain from sex..ASHAMED, REGRET,DEPRESS and SELF PETTY I HAD.. ..Everything happens is according to god's plan, the only thing i have to do is to ACCEPT the reality.
At first i was hideous biut the pain made me take a further step.I had white itchy,painful blisters around my genital wch for the first week i kept washing them using salt but they still persisted.That was almost for years back.Seing no change,i visited a local clinic and they told me i have an S.T.I. I finished the course they gave me and the blisters disapeared.My problem is,everytime im due for my periods,it gets so itchy and painful and there is this offensive discharge that comes out and it really brings my emotion to its peak.I am not sexually active and have this guy who asked me to ,arry him.Im scared to tell him my condition and im dying inside cause in as much as he loves me,i can not accept his proposal because of my incurable illness.
At first it was hideous but the pain made me take a further step. I had white itchy, painful blisters around my genitals. Then I visited a local clinic and they told me I have an STD. I finished the course they gave me and the blisters disappeared. My problem is, every time I'm due for my periods, it gets so itchy and painful and there is this offensive discharge that comes out and it really brings my emotion to its peak.
I was diagnosed three days ago. It has to be the worst and most frustrating pain to go through in that area. At first I thought I had scratched myself as it felt like it did a after I had given birth. The next day was worse and I couldn't go to the toilet without crying in pain. Thankfully my friend took me to my local clinic and was diagnosed an hour later. The only thing that helps is the anesthetic cream. I apply before going to the toilet and it makes such a difference. I struggle with walking and sitting. I also find it frustrating to know that I could only have picked this virus up just over 12 months ago! He is now settled into another relationship with a baby on the way.
I've had genital herpes for over 25 years. It has been a long and painful experience and I am miserable with agonizing pain when I urinate or wipe or wash over the area. I have aches in my groin area, lower abdomen and tops of my thighs. I am headachy and very cranky, extremely tired. Sitting or walking is painful. It has not gotten any milder over the years but it does not happen as often. It used to happen every month, now it is just a few times a year. I am still ashamed that I have it and get very depressed with each breakout.
i am having a red coloured boils or warts on my left testicle is it genital herpes, i does'nt pains what should i do
I am 21 years old and I was with my ex for almost eight years until we broke up, yet even after our break up we still had sex on occasion. I started noticing these irritating bumps and itchiness in my no-no area and thought nothing of it. I thought it may have been an ingrown hair. When I awoke the next day I was so swollen and bumps had spread clear from my bottom all the way forward. I went to the doctor and all she said when she saw them was, "Oh, honeyÉ" in a sad voice and I knew then the news wasn't good. I feel so low, I have a one year old daughter with a man that isn't my ex and now I can't even get back with my baby's father because of the guilt, shame and disgust I feel about myself.
I just got diagnosed today after two years of getting only one sore twice. I haven't had sex in two years so I have no idea who gave them to me.
I've had HS2 for 23 yrs. To my knowledge, I've only had one outbreak, and at that time gave it to my boyfriend,who then became my husband. I did not know I had it. It has been very problematic for him. Lots of outbreaks. I have had 3 boyfriends since my divorce and a pretty vigorous sex life. I've never given it to them. I do not take meds for it. Aside from the stigma, its not had a huge impact on my life. I'm grateful for that.
I was sexually assaulted over 15 years ago and now I dont know to tell my husband to be that I may have herpes. I would get what I thought was a hair bump. I never recieved any type of treatment because of the guilt and shame of being attacked. And now I dont know what to do he may also be infected. I would only get these hair bumps like symptoms once a year so thought nothing of it. Now I'm living with the stress of what may happen between us when he finds out.
Iput on a brand new bathing suit purchased 4 days to the incident. Within 30 minutes I began to experience irriation. That in itself wasn't unuaual, I'm allergic to a lot off stuff. Went swimming in a public pool for an hour. When I changed into street clothes I noticed the swelling, itching, and burning contiued. By the end of the day I had the full blown sore. I had not been sexually active for 5 years. I found later that someone in my household had herpes. She had been secretly trying on my clothes. I was always so careful with my sexuality. I feel betrayed by jealousy. I can never again have an intimate relationship without telling my partner of my problem.
Why can't you put all the information on 1 page? Loading over 10 different pages is bloody annoying!
I found out I had HSV2 about five years ago. The frequency of my outbreaks has declined somewhat. The pain has also decreased, however I still get inflamed lymph nodes prior to and during the early stages of an outbreak. I, too, get sensations in my leg, usually referred to as tingling, except that my skin gets quite sore to touch or sit on for a day or two. The prodrome (the sensations before the outbreak) is usually on my thigh, and it moves around a bit. I suppose it sort of tingles, but my skin is more painful than anything else. I was so ashamed when I first found out I had it, and disgusted with myself, but, hey, I'm human. I'm an intelligent and educated woman. This could happen to anyone, including you.
Question... can I have herpes even though I had difficulties using the restroom and itchness but never seen any blisters inside and out of my vergina?
I got genital herpes less than a year ago because of my ex-boyfriend of nine months. He said he would leave if I didn't have sex with him, so I did. Regardless of my story, I have found that I tend to get sick before an outbreak. I may get a fever or flu like symptoms before sores appear.
I was first diagnosed with herpes when I was 17 years old. I am now 34 and until this past year, I rarely had outbreaks. In the past when I was stressed, I often developed mouth sores and only occasionally I would have a rectal lesion.  My outbreaks were short in duration, cleared up within a few days on Valtrex.  About four months ago, I had a severe outbreak with sores in both my mouth and my vagina.  The episode began with a sore throat, swollen glands (throat), fever, chills, body aches and fatigue. Around the third day of this, I developed canker sores on my cheeks and tongue, and one or two vaginal lesions.  I even had a lesion inside my vagina, which I couldn't feel until I had sex with my husband.  Since that episode, I have had three more, each worse than the prior and lasting longer, too.  The lesions were more painful and seemed to be bigger, covering the lining of my inner labia as well as two blisters on the skin near my anus.  That was also the first time that it hurt to urinate, sit and even walk.  These more severe outbreaks lasted 10 days to three weeks.  I have noticed that stress brings them on, and I always have the flu-like symptoms before the outbreak.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.